Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Amoeba102 posted:

Nah, delete demon hunter and keep Hunter. DH has too much absolute bullshit and Illidan is a garbage hero. Also delete paladin because the buff and heal stuff is better left to priest. Pare Shaman back to midrange stuff.
If they were going to do a Hearthstone 2.0, the thing I'd like to see is just a reconsideration of the hero powers; Mage, Hunter and Warlock are all great, Warrior, Priest and Paladin are thematic and solid (though Priest is usually much worse than the others) but Druid, Demon Hunter and Rogue essentially do the same thing (swing with your face into something) just in very slightly different ways and Shaman's hero power may as well not exist in like 90% of Shaman decks ever. Go back to the drawing board and make them all do something useful in game that works for the class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I've complained before that I don't like the matchmaking system that uses MMR while you have a star bonus. Today I matched against a player with only core cards. What was the point of match for them? Surely they've got to still be stuck in Bronze and if they got a lot of matches like that, they'd never get out of bronze and play people of their own rank. Like, I have my star bonus for the entire month, because I only play for 5 wins a week - so I'm basically never rank matched. Who the gently caress knows what actual level of player I'm facing.
And worse for that Core player is they could be going up against former legend players too. Do they have to just lose for ages until they can get a fair match. Seems like they'd probably just quit playing.
Why can't it always be rank matching?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pretty decent Duels turn 1

(Battlecry cards cost 1 less, first battlecry card each turn draws a card and reduces its cost by 2, and the signature treasure that adds totems to your hand and reduces their cost by 2)

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 13, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Amoeba102 posted:

Nah, delete demon hunter and keep Hunter. DH has too much absolute bullshit and Illidan is a garbage hero. Also delete paladin because the buff and heal stuff is better left to priest. Pare Shaman back to midrange stuff.

Demon Hunter has a way healthier hero power, because it has more thought involved and can be used for more that "hurr durr go face". It's still quite aggro, but not stupid aggro. For that alone I'd pick DH over Hunter, but Hunter is also stymied by some lackluster mechanics... beasts, deathrattles, damage spells and not much else leads to a pretty boring class. Granted, much of the issue was that it had a phenomenal basic/classic set before the core set was implemented.

Paladin beats out Shaman for a very similar reason; spawning a 1/1 consistently is a much better evergreen mechanic than getting one of four random totems. Everything beyond that is up for negotiation but the hero power sells me on what I'd keep.

NorgLyle posted:

If they were going to do a Hearthstone 2.0, the thing I'd like to see is just a reconsideration of the hero powers; Mage, Hunter and Warlock are all great, Warrior, Priest and Paladin are thematic and solid (though Priest is usually much worse than the others) but Druid, Demon Hunter and Rogue essentially do the same thing (swing with your face into something) just in very slightly different ways and Shaman's hero power may as well not exist in like 90% of Shaman decks ever. Go back to the drawing board and make them all do something useful in game that works for the class.

Warlock hero power is utterly broken. None of the classes should get a "draw a card" button. As I alluded to before, I also think Hunter's hero power is poor design because it offers only a fraction of the choice that the other powers do - it only has one possible target. Ditto for Warrior.

I quite like Rogue, because it interacts well with generic weapon synergies. Druid and Demon Hunter I can see though.

Gobbeldygook posted:

That's because "cluster of random poo poo" is their class identity

Sure, they don't have as much healing as priests or paladins, but they do have healing unlike hunters and rogues. Sure, they don't have as much burn as mages, but they do have burn spells unlike warriors and paladins.

Gonna be honest, I don't know if I should read this as in support of my claims, in opposition, or just as information. Being mediocre at everything seems like a pretty mediocre class description to me.

AnacondaHL posted:

yea, 10 classes feels pretty good, you get a nice natural rotation between who is top tier, and you need this complexity to supplement the simplistic mana system in the game.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the classes are fine imo, the problem is just that looking at the classes through the lens of a meta snapshot distorts which classes look well-developed and which classes look like they aren't. every class has gone through a time where it looked like rear end and that the designers forgot about it

Instead of cycling between which class is top dog, I'd much prefer cycling over which class archetype is. Right now there's too much competition so somebody is always left out; if the classes were pared back, it'd be much easier for everyone to have at least one tier 2 deck to compete with. I think there's plenty of space to explore competing mechanics - it's not like they've run out of stuff across the past 8+ years of development - but they often can't split up mechanics fairly because there just aren't 10 clearly different ways to split up the card playing spectrum. You've got control, aggro, combo, midrange, and jank and there really aren't 10 different ways to convert that into moderately-optimized decks which can counter and compete with each other simultaneously. Not without years worth of backlog, anyway - that might be how Wild plays out, I don't know because I'm FTP and dust almost everything on rotation.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

With all its faults, I do like playing Hearthstone. It's very user-friendly, the play is often intuitive and smooth, and there is enough variety in each match so I'm never quite sure which direction it's going to go.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Have you considered that Rexxar is better than Illidan and Thrall is better than Uther, though?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Beast Hunter should be best Hunter tbh, it's my favourite midrange synergy decklist.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

NorgLyle posted:

I think Rogue and DH are fine but Druid needs an overhaul. If they could make it Choose One it’d be cool and very fitting with the Class’ identity in WoW(Jack of all trades). Maybe a choice between +1 attack/1 armor, 1 spell damage, or heal your hero for 2?

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

orangelex44 posted:

I generally believe that Hearthstone's biggest problem is that it has too many classes. It would be much a better game if Hunter, Shaman, Warlock and Warrior were cut from the game - all four of them have unbalanced hero powers (in either direction) that gently caress up card balance, and they all either have entirely static identities (Hunter/Warlock) or eternally poorly defined ones (Shaman/Warrior). That would leave a strong tempo class (Rogue), the bullshit spellcasting/interaction class (Mage), the gently caress-you control class (Priest), the balls-to-the-wall aggro class (Demon Hunter), the ramp class (Druid), and the midrange class (Paladin). However, most of those also have had interesting variations and non-standard approaches in the past to allow for some flexibility as the game continues to age. Doubly so, once Blizzard could start splitting up some mechanics from the removed classes.

As others have been saying, Shaman is a giant cluster of random poo poo that utterly defies a simple description - it was the go-wide class for a while, but it's also had spell-focused stuff and weapon-focused stuff in the past too? Warrior has a similar problem, where it's historically had both the absolutely most aggro decks and the most degenerate control decks... at the same time, because the hero power is such utter poo poo that their cards need to be broken as gently caress to make it playable at all. Warlocks at least have the "sacrifice for power!" theme, but a hero power to draw a card is the most epic bullshit ever and is terrible to try and balance. Hunter would actually be fine until last year, but IMO Demon Hunter does the exact same job with more interesting mechanics and a more thoughtful hero power. Hunter has become redundant - sorry to our aggro friends of old.

nice troll but i've got a much better solution - just delete priest and replace it with monk.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I respect the fact that they've at least attempted to give Shaman a better hero power by replacing the highly situational spell damage totem with the more broadly useful +1 attack guy. But it's still a hero power that's better off ignored way too much of the time.

I just tried writing up my own better idea of how Shaman could work, but it ended up just being a combination of Token Druid and Libram Paladin. So yeah, I'm not really sure how to fix this

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Was that supposed to be a buff? I thought spell damage totem was too volatile and occasionally unfairly strong to roll randomly so they deleted it to reduce frustration.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
The current versions of Elemental Shaman seem like a really solid direction for the class. You have to plan your turns ahead to keep the "if you played an elemental last turn" streak going, there's a little bit of every other Shaman mechanic in there if you want to invest in a Plan B or C. The whole "spell schools" classification will be a good way to forge a unique identity for it going forward.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

skaboomizzy posted:

The current versions of Elemental Shaman seem like a really solid direction for the class. You have to plan your turns ahead to keep the "if you played an elemental last turn" streak going, there's a little bit of every other Shaman mechanic in there if you want to invest in a Plan B or C. The whole "spell schools" classification will be a good way to forge a unique identity for it going forward.

Yes I like it as well. Takes some thought, you don't use the (dumb as you folks have said) hero power, and it gives a nice game. Not too long or too short.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The hero power change was meant to make it more consistent, not more powerful, which I think it succeeded at. All the totems now work to improve or protect your board. Of course, the Shaman hero power is still fundamentally a bad idea, so its still hosed, but it's less hosed now.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Amoeba102 posted:

I've complained before that I don't like the matchmaking system that uses MMR while you have a star bonus. Today I matched against a player with only core cards. What was the point of match for them? Surely they've got to still be stuck in Bronze and if they got a lot of matches like that, they'd never get out of bronze and play people of their own rank. Like, I have my star bonus for the entire month, because I only play for 5 wins a week - so I'm basically never rank matched. Who the gently caress knows what actual level of player I'm facing.
And worse for that Core player is they could be going up against former legend players too. Do they have to just lose for ages until they can get a fair match. Seems like they'd probably just quit playing.
Why can't it always be rank matching?

That player with core cards likely performed well enough in Apprentice ranks to get an MMR high enough to match with you.

Rank matching would cause the exact problem you are complaining about : "Bronze" players playing "bronze" players. The current dual matching system is actually quite good.

You just play against players that are close in skill to you. That's it.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
They could make the Shaman hero power more interesting by, for example, letting you discover one of the four totems at the start of the game and whenever you used your hero power you'd only get that totem. Consistency for both players and you could actually design your deck around trying to get a few healing totems out to support board control or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

taunt totems every turn would make me very upset.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
It would be nice if the hero power showed which totem was coming out next instead of randomly dropping one. Flip it around each turn like the old Dr. Boom hero power.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
What about a temporary minion steroid or something? 1 mana/2 mana - give a minion +1 or +2 attack for this turn only? Functionally boring but still useful for those times you're just 1 or 2 attack short of taking out a minion, or having lethal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Devo posted:

It would be nice if the hero power showed which totem was coming out next instead of randomly dropping one. Flip it around each turn like the old Dr. Boom hero power.
I like this idea now that spell power is gone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DeadButDelicious posted:

What about a temporary minion steroid or something? 1 mana/2 mana - give a minion +1 or +2 attack for this turn only? Functionally boring but still useful for those times you're just 1 or 2 attack short of taking out a minion, or having lethal.

The problem with this is that it's completely useless without a minion, which Blizzard tries to avoid.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Give the 1/1 totem rush

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Just let people pick which totem they want as the default power

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Give the 1/1 totem rush

Nah, make it ping a random enemy at the start of Shaman's turn.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

sirtommygunn posted:

Nah, make it ping a random enemy at the start of Shaman's turn.

Ooh, I like this. Also, make the heal totem heal face again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Give the 1/1 totem rush

A 1/1(or maybe even 2/1) rush that dies at end of turn is a great hero power idea for Death Knight, if it ever becomes a class.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

reworked shaman hero power lets you pick two of the four totems for it to give you one at random, and which totems are paired is randomized each time. my brain is too big for my skull

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
How about, like, elemental totems? Combine two of the half-baked Shaman concepts into something potentially decent. The way I picture it, you choose an element at start of match or some similar mechanic, and then your totems become aligned with that element, and the more totems you have down, the more powerful those spells become. I suppose with the current crop of cards it'd be super biased towards lightning, though.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

RatHat posted:

I think Rogue and DH are fine but Druid needs an overhaul. If they could make it Choose One it’d be cool and very fitting with the Class’ identity in WoW(Jack of all trades). Maybe a choice between +1 attack/1 armor, 1 spell damage, or heal your hero for 2?
My completely unexamined Druid concept was to give them 1-mana, cast Old Innervate on the start of your next turn to play into their ramp idea but that is probably a terrible idea.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Kurtrus's book of heroes campaign was nice and easy, and the story was decent too. A good step up from the usual stuff.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I played through the new book and encountered an interesting AI problem. I've had the AI sometimes make obvious mistakes like not effectively playing cards in the right order, or maybe with a card like felfire potion that clears the board for them but also kills themselves. But for the first time today, the AI made an action that was 100% self destructive. The ice mage pinged itself with its hero power. I have to wonder what programming lead it to do that.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly I don't mind the concept of shaman's hero power but the execute needs works. The idea of having to switch your strategy based on what you hero power rolls is kinda neat. But all of the totems are terrible. Maybe they should be slightly stronger to deal with the randomized nature. Like searing totem is just a paladin hero power without the synergy.

Searing could be a 2/1
Healing could be a 1/2 or 0/3
And I think the other two are fine.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 13, 2021

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
lmao they give you fan of knives as a hero power

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just chose the “summon a 2/2 rush” and did perfectly fine with that.

One-shot every fight this go around, though I spent a lot of the final boss with only a few HP left because I couldn’t get any Lifesteal to stick around.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The Book stuff is usually rather simple. They just give you the cards you need in the order you need to play them based on how they sequenced the fights. Very little decisions have to be made.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Go forth and Tonk my friends, this is the most fun I've had with this dumb game in forever:

### Tonk4.0
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Flare
# 2x (1) Play Dead
# 1x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Mad Scientist
# 2x (2) Pack Tactics
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Pressure Plate
# 1x (3) Deathlord
# 2x (3) Nine Lives
# 2x (3) Petting Zoo
# 2x (3) Ursatron
# 2x (4) Necromechanic
# 1x (5) Barak Kodobane
# 1x (5) Zilliax
# 1x (6) Oblivitron
# 1x (6) Sylvanas Windrunner
# 2x (7) Darkmoon Tonk
#
AAEBAZ3hAwa5Df4NoIAD8ZYD5e8DqZ8EDIAH9w2czQLw9QLylgO2nAOfpQP7rwOkuQOD4gOE4gPjnwQA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So it looks like the strategy for this Brawl is simply "roll into the druid deck where you can double hero power your opponent in the face for 6 damage every turn for free"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

20.8.2 Patch Notes out
https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23686112/20-8-2-patch-notes

Apotheosis down to +1/+2
Renew to 2 mana
Gibberling to 2 mana

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Great changes, you love to see a balance patch like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
lol just straight up executed all three cards 😎