Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m just salty it won over Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Fair, very fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Using the power and protection of that star to push your own narrative eh? Guess that should have been expected, you've gone mad with the psuedo-power!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

:hmmyes:

Parasite was a nice win tho & kind of overdue for an Asian director to win. A quick look at the 92nd Academy Awards and the only Best Picture nominated movies I didn't see were Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit, and Little Women.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Wow, the 90’s weren’t great either. You have Shakespeare in Love and the English Patient winning best picture, and in 94 Forrest Gump beat both Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption for it. There were some good picks but those are just insane.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Forrest Gump over Pulp Fiction was apex Boomer nostalgia. Hated Gump then, still don't like it now.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Gump is a loving slog and I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't care for it.

Learning that it beat out Pulp Fiction, a legitimately fun movie, is just boggling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One long sloppy blowjob to Boomers should explain that perfectly. It's their Ready Player One.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Heh I'm going to call Ready Player One "the Forrest Gump for Millennials" from now on.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Wow, the 90’s weren’t great either. You have Shakespeare in Love and the English Patient winning best picture, and in 94 Forrest Gump beat both Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption for it. There were some good picks but those are just insane.

Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan lol

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
When you learn how Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan it becomes :yikes:

It's Harvey Weinstein

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

Heh I'm going to call Ready Player One "the Forrest Gump for Millennials" from now on.

Ready Player One is aimed firmly at Gen X.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gladiator was a decidedly irritating movie based on a flawed premise, but CTHD is one of the worst movies ever nominated for Best Picture and it's entirely down to Ang Lee not having a clue how to direct a wire scene.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can confirm. This was the beginning of me reevaluating basically everything I’ve ever liked to see if it was actually poo poo: a lot of people had the same experience I did, to wit, I read the whole book in about two hours going ’wow cool, lol I remember that’ and two minutes after I put it down I was wishing the author torn asunder by wild horses.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Your wish didn't come true, because he got to write a tone-deaf sequel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Torquemada posted:

Can confirm. This was the beginning of me reevaluating basically everything I’ve ever liked to see if it was actually poo poo: a lot of people had the same experience I did, to wit, I read the whole book in about two hours going ’wow cool, lol I remember that’ and two minutes after I put it down I was wishing the author torn asunder by wild horses.

This is apparently a pretty common experience going by how critics praised RPO for no apparent reason other than it being a nostalgia bomb (and maybe them being made to advertise it by publishers) but it was apparently a one time high given how Armada and the sequel were savaged.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
When was the moment you realised the Oscars were bullshit? For me, it was when Val Kilmer didn't even get the nomination for Best Supporting Actor for Doc Holliday in Tombstone and it went to Tommy Lee Jones as Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Following the animated awards makes it pretty clear since it's pretty much an open secret that the judges don't watch any of the nominees unless their kids happen to.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Animated films being a seperate category is bullshit anyway.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

While we're at personal Oscar grievances, I'll be forever salty that Birdman won Best Cinematography over Grand Budapest Hotel. GBH had a really memorable and unique style that I haven't really seen in any other movie before or since. Meanwhile Birdman went with a way less interesting (albeit technically impressive) continuous shot gimmick and still got the win.

Though that may be in part because I just have an instinctive loathing of Hollywood movies about Hollywoood.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I don't dislike all movies about making it big in showbusiness, but it's comical how often they get academy nods. I liked Birdman and The Artist ok. Was not into LaLa Land. Disliked Mank.
Ed Wood and Dolemite is my Name are very funny. They're like anti-oscarbait in their depiction of moviemaking (though Ed Wood got a couple of minor awards)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Academy also likes to acknowledge sensitive subjects way too late and ends up doing it horribly. They gave that piece of poo poo Driving Miss Daisy Best Picture over Do the Right Thing, which wasn't even nominated. Then fifteen years later they're all "wait, we've been ignoring minorities" and give it to loving Crash (made by a white guy) to try and make up for it. I can't wait to see what kind of bullshit milquetoast coming-of-age gay drama directed by a sixty year old straight guy they'll give Best Picture in a few years because they refused to acknowledge Brokeback Mountain.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Academy also likes to acknowledge sensitive subjects way too late and ends up doing it horribly. They gave that piece of poo poo Driving Miss Daisy Best Picture over Do the Right Thing, which wasn't even nominated. Then fifteen years later they're all "wait, we've been ignoring minorities" and give it to loving Crash (made by a white guy) to try and make up for it. I can't wait to see what kind of bullshit milquetoast coming-of-age gay drama directed by a sixty year old straight guy they'll give Best Picture in a few years because they refused to acknowledge Brokeback Mountain.

I thought Moonlight was the “whoops, we hosed up” for Brokeback. Not saying it’s not a great movie, it is, but it felt like that influenced their choice.

I forgot Green Book won best picture. That was a really weird choice considering what other nominees there were that year.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Academy Awards have always been dumb. Go look at the movies that beat Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, or Raging Bull for Best Picture, or how some movies like Full Metal Jacket or the aforementioned Do The Right Thing weren’t even nominated.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's bullshit that Spielberg didn't win for Jurassic Park in 93.

He won it for Schindler's List instead, in one of the most profound flexes of moviemaking talent of all time.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

I thought Moonlight was the “whoops, we hosed up” for Brokeback. Not saying it’s not a great movie, it is, but it felt like that influenced their choice.

I forgot Green Book won best picture. That was a really weird choice considering what other nominees there were that year.

I completely forgot Moonlight existed, the last few years have been a painful blur.

And Green Book was like a bizarrely updated Driving Miss Daisy made by terrible people and the only reason I remember it at all is because of a story from r/relationships where someone said "You're fat and the only reason you liked Green Book is because there was a cake in it!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

fartknocker posted:

The Academy Awards have always been dumb. Go look at the movies that beat Star Wars, Apocalypse Now, or Raging Bull for Best Picture, or how some movies like Full Metal Jacket or the aforementioned Do The Right Thing weren’t even nominated.

Annie Hall is a great movie unfortunately created by and starring a complete monster. Kramer vs. Kramer is good, though not on Apocalypse Now levels. I’m sure Coppola already getting two BPs was a factor. Ordinary People is whatever.

Also speaking of Coppola and also Spielberg’s crazy year in 1993, The Conversation was nominated for Best Picture in the same year as The Godfather Part II. I am irrationally irritated that I had never heard of it until last year, because it whips.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I found Annie Hall funny, but I just couldn't get into it because Rainier Wolfcastle's Woody Allen impression kept playing in my head

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But… I'm Gen X!

You're right tho. I really didn't care for that movie at all (never read the book). Being reminded that it was aimed at me is very :negative:.

Now I'm looking forward to the movie that will be "The Forrest Gump for Millenials"*.

Sunswipe posted:

Animated films being a seperate category is bullshit anyway.

The Academy Awards got really scared when Beauty & the Beast looked like a strong contender for Best Picture so they made the separate category the following year.

Moonlight won Best Picture (over Hollywood self-suck movie LaLa Land) and was directed by black filmmakers Barry Jenkins. AFAIK he's cishet tho.
e: f,b

There was something I heard where somebody suggested Academy Awards should be like a sports Hall of Dame where you need a couple years to pass before it's eligible to be nominated. How does an audience feel after 5 years pass?

*no I'm not but it's inevitable.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There are a lot of things wrong with Forrest Gump but it's biggest crime is making boomers feel better about themselves. Like "It's totally okay none of your bullshit worked out, you can just go ahead and blame your kids"

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

There are a lot of things wrong with Forrest Gump but it's biggest crime is making boomers feel better about themselves. Like "It's totally okay none of your bullshit worked out, you can just go ahead and blame your kids"

I recommend reading the book, which is much more cynical, though I'm sure there's bits that have not aged well. They gutted a whole lot of farce for the nostalgia crap - Gump putting a chess Grandmaster off his game by accidently dropping a loud fart mid-game is superior to whatever crap replaced his chess career.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was firmly aimed at buying Ernest Cline more cocaine

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

It was firmly aimed at buying Ernest Cline more cocaine

Lmfao

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

And Green Book was like a bizarrely updated Driving Miss Daisy made by terrible people and the only reason I remember it at all is because of a story from r/relationships where someone said "You're fat and the only reason you liked Green Book is because there was a cake in it!"

Green Book - A Symphony of Lies | Renegade Cut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyPGekzcPuU

it's all "presitge schlock".

e;

Elissimpark posted:

I recommend reading the book, which is much more cynical, though I'm sure there's bits that have not aged well. They gutted a whole lot of farce for the nostalgia crap - Gump putting a chess Grandmaster off his game by accidently dropping a loud fart mid-game is superior to whatever crap replaced his chess career.

He plays ping pong real good and beats the Chinese in tournaments.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Jul 13, 2021

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
He plays ping pong real good in the book too if I remember right. At one point he gets sent to space with an orangutan co-pilot who has been trained to fly the shuttle - Forrest is there to peel the bananas for them. There's a weird racist scene with a tribe of cannibal rapists immediately afterwards. Also Forrest can gently caress real good for some reason.

The film smoothed out most of the rough edges, must be said.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

darkwasthenight posted:

He plays ping pong real good in the book too if I remember right. At one point he gets sent to space with an orangutan co-pilot who has been trained to fly the shuttle - Forrest is there to peel the bananas for them. There's a weird racist scene with a tribe of cannibal rapists immediately afterwards. Also Forrest can gently caress real good for some reason.

The film smoothed out most of the rough edges, must be said.

Oh yeah. Is it the leader of the cannibals that teaches him to play chess?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The book sounds a lot more a biting satire on boomers/american exceptionalism.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

MariusLecter posted:

The book sounds a lot more a biting satire on boomers/american exceptionalism.

That's exactly what it is

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'd forgotten book Gump also had a pro wrestling career. Apparently the author pictured Gump being played by John Goodman.

Now I'm imagining the Coen brothers Forrest Gump. Gah.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Elissimpark posted:

Apparently the author pictured Gump being played by John Goodman.

Now I'm imagining the Coen brothers Forrest Gump.

I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like that’s the only way it would have been a great movie.