Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The caps that came with my new wheels have core removers built in, but if the valves are tight they just slip over the flats. I tried it when i removed the core to inject sealant and then didn't bother putting them back on. I do keep a core remover and a spare core and a schrader adapter in my little bike wallet deal. Especially since my road wheels need valve extenders.

Anyway, go ride bikes you nerds.

We've got loving smoke coming in already, might have to resort to renewing zwift after i cancelled it in march.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
no no it’s the bike industry that’s wrong

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I know, I just don't give a poo poo tbh. It is a garbage design. Schrader valves are on every tyre on every vehicle on the road except for bicycles seemingly and they work perfectly. Even if they were just as good, I would still have to buy a new fitting/adapter for my compressor, never be able to use the pump at a gas station, and gently caress around with a bizarre manual valve collar seemingly from the twenties, for a bike that owes me $150 tops. Or I can drill a couple of holes and enjoy.

I don't need help, I'm fine doing what I'm doing even if you think it's dumb, I was just wondering if there's some hidden advantage to them and smaller holes seem like the only thing mentioned that could qualify as a real reason.

Like I said these are a dollar and you can use them at the gas station and with your beloved air compressor

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

e.pilot posted:

no no it’s the bike industry that’s wrong

Correct. It's pretty much like companies going NO NO NO we don't want to use USB C! Standards are good and it's telling people are sticking with "whelp it works" as their argument as oppose to reasons it's superior. My bike tires are schrader and while I do believe the compressor has the proper adapter it would have been slightly inconvenient.

This may be surprising but companies/industries do not always pick what's best for it's customers.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Dunlop for life

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Like I said these are a dollar and you can use them at the gas station and with your beloved air compressor

I bought one of these when I visited my dad because he didn’t have a presta pump and I couldn’t bother to bring a real pump. The shop charged me $3.50 and I about had a stroke. Highway robbery.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm pretty new to running tubeless on my gravel bike. Is it normal to seem to lose air during a long ride. I was running 40 psi at the start, but it definitely didn't seem like 40 at the end. Although I pumped up the bike to 40 at almost 4,000 feet of elevation and then by the time I got home and noticed they were low, the elevation at my house is like 600-700. Maybe that's the difference?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Duck and Cover posted:

Correct. It's pretty much like companies going NO NO NO we don't want to use USB C! Standards are good and it's telling people are sticking with "whelp it works" as their argument as oppose to reasons it's superior. My bike tires are schrader and while I do believe the compressor has the proper adapter it would have been slightly inconvenient.

This may be surprising but companies/industries do not always pick what's best for it's customers.

Yes, the standard for bikes is presta, and has been for a over a century.

Clearly, the person drilling holes in a rim because they don’t understand latex tubes leak air and blamed the valve that literally millions have no issues with, are right though.

I bet you have some great takes on video game consoles, mac vs pc, iphone vs android, chevy vs ford, et al.

Komet posted:

I'm pretty new to running tubeless on my gravel bike. Is it normal to seem to lose air during a long ride. I was running 40 psi at the start, but it definitely didn't seem like 40 at the end. Although I pumped up the bike to 40 at almost 4,000 feet of elevation and then by the time I got home and noticed they were low, the elevation at my house is like 600-700. Maybe that's the difference?

have you tried drilling your rim and switching to a shrader valve?

That’s not right, did you do the tubeless or did a shop? if the latter take it back to them. If the former double check the sealant and possibly add some more, if there’s already a lot in there double check the tape.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 12, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My Walmart bike as a kid and my Brompton now both have schrader valves. I wonder if it was a choice made because schrader is so common outside of the nice bike world.

This Bontrager pump is the one I use and it does both presta and schrader: https://www.rei.com/product/152973/bontrager-charger-floor-pump Kind of a pain sometimes since the brompton has such small spaces between the spokes

I flatted 2x on a vacation in Idyllwild (mountain town in CA) and because the Brompton had the schrader valves I was able to use a 16" 305 tube from a local bike shop (slightly smaller than the 349 the Brompton uses) and it's still good over a year later.

Finding 16" Presta value tires on the road might be a bit hard. The smaller 16" size works ok and they are a common size (kids bikes).

349's? Not as much, but more likely with schrader valves.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Komet posted:

The difference between 4000 and 1000 feet is only 2.5 psi, so probably not.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

I bet you have some great takes on video game consoles, mac vs pc, iphone vs android, chevy vs ford, et al.

Ask him about KTM! lmao. He's the same cranky rear end in a top hat in Cycle Asylum too. s'all good.

I used these to set the bead on tubeless with my compressor, then threw em back in the toolbag. nbd, whatever.
I've 99 problems but Presta isn't one. Nor is Shraeder for the matter. 100% user error, not technology error. Some jerkoff broke a shraeder valve on my truckcamper's tire about a month ago but that's hardly the valve's fault.

jamal posted:

Anyway, go ride bikes you nerds.

We've got loving smoke coming in already, might have to resort to renewing zwift after i cancelled it in march.

Headed out in 5!
had to go up about 1300' in altitude to 4700' to escape the smoke. Was on the outer fringe of the smoke in Deschutes and its already impacting my airways. oh hell no, I'm not about to have a repeat of 2017 and 2020.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've had a few gravel tubeless tires intermittently leak air. valves good, tape good, plenty of sealant, but i think in normal use the sidewalls just don't get a good enough coating. Both the troublesome ones were also tanwalls which tend to have one less layer of rubber on the sides (a wtb nano and a maxxis rambler). So I have to take the wheels off, shake them around, and set them on each side for a bit (buckets and trash cans are good for this). Then it's fine for awhile.

Spray bottle of soapy water is a good way to find leaks btw.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Yes, the standard for bikes is presta, and has been for a over a century.

Clearly, the person drilling holes in a rim because they don’t understand latex tubes leak air and blamed the valve that literally millions have no issues with, are right though.

have you tried drilling your rim and switching to a shrader valve?

That’s not right, did you do the tubeless or did a shop? if the latter take it back to them. If the former double check the sealant and possibly add some more, if there’s already a lot in there double check the tape.

This may be difficult to realize but I do not care what the person did, that's pretty irrelevant to my point. My point is there's no real good reason to have both.

United States customary system has been standard for over a century and so there's no reason to change!

Video game consoles are fine. Mac and PC both suck (in different ways) but the PC has games soooooo I use that. I like IOS better than android but it's more of a IOS sucks less thing. Chevy vs Ford? I do have a Cheverolt Bolt but uhhh I don't really care? Like I wanted an electric small hatchback and their weren't many options at the time.

e.pilot posted:

E-Bikes
No.

Nevermind forget I responded.

cursedshitbox posted:

Ask him about KTM! lmao. He's the same cranky rear end in a top hat in Cycle Asylum too. s'all good.

I interpreted this as talking about me. I'm going assume that's wrong because I don't post in Cycle Asylum.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
The only thing I know about valves is that my bicycle tire pump really really likes them. My wheels have the generic rubber valve things that most American bikes I've seen have, and my bicycle pump holds onto them for dear life. I have to flip the lever and then wiggle like hell to get it out the stem, and the whole time I can hear precious ounces of are leaving the tube.

I guess one advantage of a comfort hybrid is that the tires work fine with a wide range of pressures?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I got my back wheel back and then did a few chill rides with friends and family but tonight I got to ride the usual 40 km ride I do for exercise by myself and beat my previous pr by almost 2 km/hr. Didn't even really get lucky with a headwind either

Can't beat exercise to turn a lovely day around

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
imo you should have air in your tires.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Sab0921 posted:

imo you should have air in your tires.
but not too much!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

definitely don't want to run too little either

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Consider also having some not-air in your tires, which can generally allow you to have less air in the remaining space for air while reducing the risk of that air suddenly escaping

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Those of you using sun sleeves: Is there a way to keep them bright white? Mine are starting to contrast with my jersey in a bad way.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Those of you using sun sleeves: Is there a way to keep them bright white? Mine are starting to contrast with my jersey in a bad way.

I bought these a year ago and have worn them at least a dozen times and they're still sparkly white.

e: I wash them in a delicates bag with the rest of my laundry, hang dry.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Take five, friends. As much as I enjoy a good slap fight about valve standards, it feels like it's starting to get a little personal. I think CSB got you and slavvy mixed up; it happens sometimes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

Take five, friends. As much as I enjoy a good slap fight about valve standards, it feels like it's starting to get a little personal. I think CSB got you and slavvy mixed up; it happens sometimes.

Yeah sorry I meant slavvy.

Rides were good. The smoke caught up to me. There's not many places I can go to escape it at this point. welp. :sigh:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I recently picked up a Salsa Warbird Apex 1 and was looking into upgrading to a power meter, but I'm having a tough time tracking down the actual bottom bracket used on the bike. Per the spec sheets it's a BB86 PressFit, but can't find any specifics beyond that. Trying to figure out if I could use the Rival AXS cranks with the current bottom bracket, but having trouble sussing that out. Assuming I'd need to swap out the BB, but does anyone have an idea?

Trying to find the path of least resistance here while not breaking the bank, so definitely open to other suggestions.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
BB86 is a Shimano standard, so it accepts 24mm spindle cranks. Or SRAM GXP 22/24mm cranks if you're using a GXP bb in there. There are aftermarket 30mm BBs for BB86, but they don't work as well because of lack of space for correct specced bearings.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Not buying white ones solved this problem for me.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

jooky posted:

I recently picked up a Salsa Warbird Apex 1 and was looking into upgrading to a power meter, but I'm having a tough time tracking down the actual bottom bracket used on the bike. Per the spec sheets it's a BB86 PressFit, but can't find any specifics beyond that. Trying to figure out if I could use the Rival AXS cranks with the current bottom bracket, but having trouble sussing that out. Assuming I'd need to swap out the BB, but does anyone have an idea?

Trying to find the path of least resistance here while not breaking the bank, so definitely open to other suggestions.

I think current SRAM cranks are all 29.9 and, in a totally unexpected move from a big manufacturer, totally incompatible with anything other than Dub bottom brackets, the proud new standard that we'll surely all flock to and pay royalties for.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Not buying white ones solved this problem for me.

Do those black ones stay cool?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

BB86 is a Shimano standard, so it accepts 24mm spindle cranks. Or SRAM GXP 22/24mm cranks if you're using a GXP bb in there. There are aftermarket 30mm BBs for BB86, but they don't work as well because of lack of space for correct specced bearings.

Cool, makes sense; I assume it's a GXP BB. I ran across https://www.hambini.com/bb86-bottom-brackets-with-a-30mm-or-sram-dub-crankset/ in some additional searches and that echoes your last point. Suppose I'm a bit surprised since Salsa has a Force version of the Warbird with a DUB crankset, so I'd be curious what BB they're using and if there's issues with it.

SimonSays posted:

I think current SRAM cranks are all 29.9 and, in a totally unexpected move from a big manufacturer, totally incompatible with anything other than Dub bottom brackets, the proud new standard that we'll surely all flock to and pay royalties for.

SRAM's Force 1 power meter has an option for GXP spindles, so there is at least some options, though not sure how long those will be available.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

SimonSays posted:

They are 28.99mm (29mm) and what they did was smart. Standard bearings have inner races that are a multiple of 5mm. A 6806 bearing has a 30mm inner race, a 6805 has a 25mm inner race. These races are made of hardened steel, so if you have a 30mm aluminum alloy spindle riding directly on those steel races, your spindle will abrade/ringbark over time. This is more likely if BB alignment is bad (which it often is.) So SRAM's solution was to shrink the crank spindle by the minimum amount and use .5mm plastic shims in between the spindle and bearing race. These are usually dual-purpose top-hats that also serve as a bearing shield/cover.

I mean 24mm Shimano spindles really aren't any better. Remember, 5mm increments. MR2437 bearings are more or less bicycle specific.

Royalties? Nah. All you need is .5mm Delrin shim.

I'll take a DUB spindle over a 30mm spindle every. single. time.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 13, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

jooky posted:

The Rival AXS PM only comes in DUB and not GXP, so you will be forced into using severely undersized bearings if you go with SRAM’s own bottom bracket. There are weird direct-fit flanged double-row bearings that might be a little bit better, but they don’t use the Delrin shims I just mentioned (ultimately not the end of the world, but something to think about.) Also I am not aware of anyone who makes 11spd chainrings for AXS 107bcd spiders.

I think your best option is a 5-bolt Quarq with Force-level D2 crankarms…GXP flavor. Otherwise look into Power2Max options with 24mm cranks.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

I rode in 90 degree weather with them and they stayed cool when I threw some water on them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's not really the color of sun sleeves that keeps you cool it's the having some sort of layer between you and the sun that's trapping moisture that's evaporating off while riding.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Yep, they’re thin enough I’ve never really noticed
much difference.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

The Rival AXS PM only comes in DUB and not GXP, so you will be forced into using severely undersized bearings if you go with SRAM’s own bottom bracket. There are weird direct-fit flanged double-row bearings that might be a little bit better, but they don’t use the Delrin shims I just mentioned (ultimately not the end of the world, but something to think about.) Also I am not aware of anyone who makes 11spd chainrings for AXS 107bcd spiders.

I think your best option is a 5-bolt Quarq with Force-level D2 crankarms…GXP flavor. Otherwise look into Power2Max options with 24mm cranks.

I’ve had good success with GXP into Shimano 24mm with a spacer for the 22mm GXP non-drive side

TobinHatesYou posted:

So SRAM's solution was to shrink the crank spindle by the minimum amount and use .5mm plastic shims in between the spindle and bearing race. These are usually dual-purpose top-hats that also serve as a bearing shield/cover.

I mean 24mm Shimano spindles really aren't any better. Remember, 5mm increments. MR2437 bearings are more or less bicycle specific.

Royalties? Nah. All you need is .5mm Delrin shim.
This explains the caps on the china ceramic BBs I have

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 13, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
e: waaaay beaten

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Anyone have recs for a good 700x32 mixed use tire? Probably ride a 60/40 road/gravel mix on this bike.

I'd like something that rolls and is fairly plush, while maintaining a decent level of puncture resistance. Not set up for tubeless on this bike if that's a consideration.

Finally wore through enough of the schwable marathon plus I put on this bike like 8 years ago, and am very much looking forward to replacing them. Never got a flat on these bastards but that's about their only good quality. That and the insufferable number of miles it took to wear them significantly enough to consider replacing them.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Math You posted:

Anyone have recs for a good 700x32 mixed use tire? Probably ride a 60/40 road/gravel mix on this bike.

I'd like something that rolls and is fairly plush, while maintaining a decent level of puncture resistance. Not set up for tubeless on this bike if that's a consideration.

Finally wore through enough of the schwable marathon plus I put on this bike like 8 years ago, and am very much looking forward to replacing them. Never got a flat on these bastards but that's about their only good quality. That and the insufferable number of miles it took to wear them significantly enough to consider replacing them.

The Marathon Supreme are better rolling and are lighter than the Marathon plus. Might want to check them out.
But they are no gravel tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Math You posted:

This is tougher than a road tire but more tolerable than a "no puncture at all costs" like a Marathon:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANARACER-PASELA-PROTITE-700-X-32-FOLDING-BLACK-TAN-TIRE-/202999074266

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Math You posted:

Clement Strada USH - probably my pick
Schwalbe Marathon Mondial - slower, better puncture protection
Rene Herse Stampede Pass - super plush, get the standard
WTB Expanse