Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jiggerypokery posted:

These are a special bunch. Footballers in the past have been loving idiots.

A lot of the England squad are young upcoming and black. It's getting harder and harder to be black and not socially conscious in the UK. Rashford is our Muhammad Ali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouth-finla-coffee-owners-say-5640711

quote:

Plymouth Finla Coffee owners say they will fight conviction and fines

The cafe's GoFundMe site has been renewed with statement from owners blaming the council, PlymouthLive and 'hate-filled locals' for their prosecution

The couple did not attend the trial held at Exeter Magistrates' Court, nor were there any legal representatives and the trial was held in their absence.

Deputy District Judge Hine roundly criticised the couple for not attending and claimed that the "whole tenor" of the owners' approach was that they had no intention of complying with the regulations. He said the adding that the owners saw themselves as "a cause célèbre" adding "I see them as a risk to public health".

lol, they are going to end up in prison, unless their Magna Carta freeman of the land defence holds up in the appeals court.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Sorry for the off-topic request but I'm after a personal recommendation and I trust you guys more than most on the internet (I'm not a clever man).

Does anyone know a Wordpress person who'd be willing to turn some mocked-up webpages into actual Wordpress pages? We have the backend already setup and every single page we need is mocked up, so there's no design required as such, just a straight translation from mock-up to WP content.

My estimate is it's around 3-5 days work but obviously that's a finger-in-the-air type guess. I could do it myself but it would take me a lot longer than someone who does this regularly and the business is prepared to fund it so thought I'd ask if anyone here knows anyone, or would want to do it themselves?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1414717570859610112

Nothing more important.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, he’s right that it’s the struggle of his generation. It’s against the other generations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

I mean, he’s right that it’s the struggle of his generation. It’s against the other generations.

LOL "Hayes was involved in a campaign to create a pipe-smoking society affiliated to the Students' Union."

Working class Tories are the drizzling shits.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's also largely fabricated to keep boomers voting.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/12/politicians-and-media-told-to-stop-fabricating-culture-wars

100% agree with this article. People need to laugh it off.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I had a dream that Ian Duncan Smith was secretly a lefty and told me he was resigning today. I asked him why he wasn't just defecting to another party and he laughed and said "who to?".

I'm very confused because I was watching attack on titan before bed and that's very much not related...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Culture war is when you make a pipe smoking society but don't see how including lesbians or Levantine people has anything to do with it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I thought the Culture war was over hundreds of years ago with a resounding defeat of the Idiran Empire.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

jiggerypokery posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/12/politicians-and-media-told-to-stop-fabricating-culture-wars

They're absolutely right, so much of this 'culture war' is the right / older people making up something that 'snowflakes' are apparently offended by and then attacking that. It's like the War On Christmas (the real neverending war).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jiggerypokery posted:

quote:

cancel the film "Grease"

What? Where did that come from? Seems very random!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

so is this the fake twitter account or

unsurprisingly it's impossible to tell

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I knew I hated iCrud.

Some valid points, but... (disclaimer: I am fully inside the Apple ecosystem, on the basis that if I pay them big bucks, there's a slightly smaller chance I become the product)... if an iPhone is locked to someone else's account, not being able to turn it back into a useable phone for you is a feature, not a bug. In theory, the "activation lock" should stop you accessing it without the previous owner's iCloud password, even if you do some cable-based restore. The idea being to reduce theft attractiveness by making it a useless brick that can't be sold on.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 13, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What? Where did that come from? Seems very random!

It’s got pretty rapey vibes when you watch it back. This is the issue with ‘cancel’ though. No one is saying no one should be allowed to watch it any more, but as soon as you point out a flaw or something that is no longer acceptable, you’re accused of ‘cancelling’ it by all these ghoulish monsters of people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jaete posted:

It's amazing that some anonymous rando has become a prominant source of information after a few months of sharing other outlets articles (and often sharing shite from the right wing press).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They canceled buffy the vampire slayer.

Because it had run for a million years.

And stopped being popular.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Aphex- posted:

I thought the Culture war was over hundreds of years ago with a resounding defeat of the Idiran Empire.

:golfclap:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, if you view the culture war as just the manifestation of white supremacy (and patriarchy) fighting against equality and the loss of privilege, then it is important as it's the face of racist and exploitative capitalism. "To the privileged equality feels like oppression". Culture wars make gammons froth at the mouth because they are the articulation/embodiment of the loss of privilege that they deeply fear. Along with that privilege goes a host of other things which have led to climate change, entrenched systemic racism, neo-colonialism, patriarchy etc (all opf which are connected and spring from the same dark well). So yes, he is right, but probably not ion the way that he intended.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

LOL

https://twitter.com/nightmair95/status/1414720046123913219?s=20

Mind you, following up the name 'Milo' has led me to an album I owned years and years ago and had forgotten all about, so reliving my teens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29G9WrqL3Qs

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

lol at that article, perfect Fabian poo poo. "Please stop doing this thing, oh well". Culture war isn't going anywhere, it's literally the only thing the Tories have left. Their entire voting coalition is held together by resentment at their grandchildren thinking they're racist.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LOL

https://twitter.com/nightmair95/status/1414720046123913219?s=20

Mind you, following up the name 'Milo' has led me to an album I owned years and years ago and had forgotten all about, so reliving my teens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29G9WrqL3Qs

Speaking of cancelling and 'Milo', I can't listen to the Descendants anymore because every other song has some really powerful incel energy and it makes me cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHd-PLgKlbs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

Some valid points, but... (disclaimer: I am fully inside the Apple ecosystem, on the basis that if I pay them big bucks, there's a slightly smaller chance I become the product)... if an iPhone is locked to someone else's account, not being able to turn it back into a useable phone for you is a feature, not a bug. In theory, the "activation lock" should stop you accessing it without the previous owner's iCloud password, even if you do some cable-based restore. The idea being to reduce theft attractiveness by making it a useless brick that can't be sold on.

I find my Nokia 105 is pretty unattractive to thieves while still being a fully functioning texting and calling machine. (Having my main phone being totally devoid of internet capabilities and therefore highly unattractive to thieves was one of its most important features to me :) )

I'm going to break into this iphone if it's the last thing I do just to prove a point.

OwlFancier posted:

They canceled buffy the vampire slayer.

Because it had run for a million years.

And stopped being popular.

I was really pissed off with Channel 5 in about 1998 when they cancelled Xena half way through series 4 leading me to spend over £300 on the entire 6 series boxset of VHS. Now you can just download the lot for free. That's the last time I buy a boxed set!

minema
May 31, 2011
We're having our kitchen "updated" and the electrician is round today on my day off - he turned up at 7am which is just unnecessary imo. I hate being home alone with strange men so went on a very long walk with the dogs, but an off lead dog ran up to us and my reactive lurcher predictably went crazy and the owner couldn't catch the dogs as it danced in circles around me and my dogs. All very stressful today and can't even have a brew as the electrics are off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jakabite posted:

It’s got pretty rapey vibes when you watch it back. This is the issue with ‘cancel’ though. No one is saying no one should be allowed to watch it any more, but as soon as you point out a flaw or something that is no longer acceptable, you’re accused of ‘cancelling’ it by all these ghoulish monsters of people.
I thought the rapey vibes were part of the point, like them drink-driving, like the greasers and high school cliques, like the issues accessing emergency contraception. The whole thing was the 70s saying "hey about those 50s huh?" rather than an endorsement of any of it.

Of course any critical view of any media nowadays is part of Extensible Marxism Language or something or other and an attempt to turn the kids Black so guess Grease is canceled for *rolls dice* calling all Italians drunk rapists if you believe the Express, which also has a feature on page 6 about the drunk rapist Italians.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

I thought the rapey vibes were part of the point, like them drink-driving, like the greasers and high school cliques, like the issues accessing emergency contraception. The whole thing was the 70s saying "hey about those 50s huh?" rather than an endorsement of any of it.

Of course any critical view of any media nowadays is part of Extensible Marxism Language or something or other and an attempt to turn the kids Black so guess Grease is canceled for *rolls dice* calling all Italians drunk rapists if you believe the Express, which also has a feature on page 6 about the drunk rapist Italians.

Drunk rapist Italians, coming over here and stealing our jobs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I went to Rome for a holiday in 2010 and was somewhat shocked to discover quite a lot of large, tattooed Romans including women lying around on benches in smelly clothes pissed out of their heads with empty bottles of various booze scattered around, heavily graffitted metro train cars.. always gives me a shock when other countries have the same issues/problems/groups as Brits.
(Like the perennial cry of the Brit whose journey to work is delayed by a leaf on the line - 'this doesn't happen in Europe' - yes it does - 'in Europe shops are open on Sundays' - try spending a wet bank holiday weekend in Eindhoven, no they're not).

Rapey grease:

I only ever saw it once - wasn't really my sort of 'thang' so I never really noticed 'vibes'. I was more interested in seeing if I could get as thin as Olivia Neutron Bomb. Apparently in the 50s one of my aunts used to dress up in that kind of tight gear and hang around with gangs of 'teds' with bottles and chains in a park in the midlands somewhere.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 13, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The thing about Culture Wars is that we win them. While you don't want to fight a battle you don't have to, you can't really avoid them atm with the right wing desperately relying on them so we just have to focus on winning them. Which we can, because culture is alot harder for newspapers to shape and mroe shaped by groundswells of people than ever before.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jakabite posted:

That's exactly why it's fairly effective to keep just asserting that some made up people are trying to cancel something beloved to some that is actually quite bad when you think about it, because yes, it's actually quite bad when you think about it. It's just that nobody was actually saying that until the right made it up, and it's just so loving tempting to say "yes actually that thing that lots of people like is terrible" rather than "shut up nerd nobody's saying that". Most popular media is bad & problematic, it's great that people are making less problematic media these days but nobody outside of right wingers' imaginations is jumping to "therefore cancel everything made before 2016 & most things after". We can just recognise that some of the things people like are problematic, but that doesn't mean that people aren't allowed to enjoy them.

jaete posted:

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1414856747378954241

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I must have hay fever or something. My eyes are a bit wet.
Extremely same.

Jakabite posted:

God I loving LOVE this team. Just absolutely outstanding people who deserve every bit of support we can give them. I want to send them cakes or something. If the England team generally become outspoken on politics as players like Rashford, Sterling and clearly Mings are, it could have an absolutely massive effect on the country.
Extremely same. The story of this tournament was a story of a bunch of very nice & well-intentioned young people standing up to culture war nonsense, performing absolutely fantastically, and then rightly holding their heads high whilst their enemies look like idiots trying to simultaneously claim that they supported them all the time they were actually attacking them & also go back to actually attacking them, whilst the rest of the country tells them to do one.

It's been temporarily delayed but will be coming home on the next available flight.

(God I'm hung over)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I enjoy the cheesy musical.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jakabite posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, and my theory is that it's as simple as a knee-jerk reaction to something you remember fondly being criticized. A particular type of brain worm kicks off the chain

- Thing I remember fondly is being called problematic
- Problematic = irredeemable
- You're a bad person for liking it then
- And a bad person for remembering it fondly now
- HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A BAD PERSON??

This isn't helped by the fact that people age. I re-watched Austin Powers a while ago, and it was a) not as hilarious as I found it as a teenager, and b) problematic in places. That's fine, I've grown up and society has moved on. Doesn't mean it wasn't funny, or that I'm terrible for having enjoyed it. But if one just left it as a thought-shape in the brain, of "that was enjoyable" without remembering specifics, then hearing it called problematic could set off the above chain reaction in a person.

Or the recurring trope that Generation Z want to cancel Friends. No, they're criticizing the fact that it's often homophobic, transphobic, fatphobic, and 2 of the men have strong incel vibes (and it's not the one who's written to be a "pig" towards women). But mainly, it started airing before they were born and ended before they were teenagers, it's an old-fashioned show for oldies. They can "cancel" it all they want, but so long as Gen X and Millennials keep watching the reruns on Netflix, it's going to stay around.

My point being, it's the combination of personal growing up and societal "progress" (of a kind) that causes this whiplash. Plus I guess the fact that it is happening kind of fast by human history standards, just because the "conversation" is happening at lightning speed all over the world. No excuse for not getting with the times though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I went to Rome for a holiday in 2010 and was somewhat shocked to discover quite a lot of large, tattooed Romans including women lying around on benches in smelly clothes pissed out of their heads with empty bottles of various booze scattered around, heavily graffitted metro train cars.. always gives me a shock when other countries have the same issues/problems/groups as Brits.
(Like the perennial cry of the Brit whose journey to work is delayed by a leaf on the line - 'this doesn't happen in Europe' - yes it does - 'in Europe shops are open on Sundays' - try spending a wet bank holiday weekend in Eindhoven, no they're not).

Rapey grease:

I only ever saw it once - wasn't really my sort of 'thang' so I never really noticed 'vibes'. I was more interested in seeing if I could get as thin as Olivia Neutron Bomb. Apparently in the 50s one of my aunts used to dress up in that kind of tight gear and hang around with gangs of 'teds' with bottles and chains in a park in the midlands somewhere.

There's a whole phenomenon about this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobstar posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, and my theory is that it's as simple as a knee-jerk reaction to something you remember fondly being criticized. A particular type of brain worm kicks off the chain

- Thing I remember fondly is being called problematic
- Problematic = irredeemable
- You're a bad person for liking it then
- And a bad person for remembering it fondly now
- HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A BAD PERSON??

This isn't helped by the fact that people age. I re-watched Austin Powers a while ago, and it was a) not as hilarious as I found it as a teenager, and b) problematic in places. That's fine, I've grown up and society has moved on. Doesn't mean it wasn't funny, or that I'm terrible for having enjoyed it. But if one just left it as a thought-shape in the brain, of "that was enjoyable" without remembering specifics, then hearing it called problematic could set off the above chain reaction in a person.

Or the recurring trope that Generation Z want to cancel Friends. No, they're criticizing the fact that it's often homophobic, transphobic, fatphobic, and 2 of the men have strong incel vibes (and it's not the one who's written to be a "pig" towards women). But mainly, it started airing before they were born and ended before they were teenagers, it's an old-fashioned show for oldies. They can "cancel" it all they want, but so long as Gen X and Millennials keep watching the reruns on Netflix, it's going to stay around.

My point being, it's the combination of personal growing up and societal "progress" (of a kind) that causes this whiplash. Plus I guess the fact that it is happening kind of fast by human history standards, just because the "conversation" is happening at lightning speed all over the world. No excuse for not getting with the times though.

This last point. I cringe with embarrasment when I think of some of the 'jokes' and comments we used to tell/make at work in the 90s, 00s. Especially with colleagues who have since come out as gay. It must have been awful for them sometimes joining in the 'bantz'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mrpwase posted:

Speaking of cancelling and 'Milo', I can't listen to the Descendants anymore because every other song has some really powerful incel energy and it makes me cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHd-PLgKlbs

I dunno. There's an element of it for sure in a lot of pop punk and emo. I think that sort of melodramatic why don't the girls like me has a different energy when you're 18-23 than it does when you're 35. It can be a bit more innocent when you're younger.

I mean, I love Pinkerton, it's a wonderful record and a lot of the pathetic lyrics are still quite relatable emotions, but it is pretty iffy too. "If everyone's a little queer, Can't she be a little straight?" Oh stop it Rivers. But I'm also perfectly fine listening to songs waaaaaaaaay worse than Pink Triangle so I still adore Pinkerton.

Besides, it was written as a conscious mirror on the less pleasant part of his mind at that time & place, which I think is fair. We do sometimes find ourselves thinking thoughts that are unpleasant and we are ashamed of & wouldn't ever voice. I don't think it's bad for that to be acknowledged as existing in art.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno. There's an element of it for sure in a lot of pop punk and emo. I think that sort of melodramatic why don't the girls like me has a different energy when you're 18-23 than it does when you're 35. It can be a bit more innocent when you're younger.

I mean, I love Pinkerton, it's a wonderful record and a lot of the pathetic lyrics are still quite relatable emotions, but it is pretty iffy too. "If everyone's a little queer, Can't she be a little straight?" Oh stop it Rivers. But I'm also perfectly fine listening to songs waaaaaaaaay worse than Pink Triangle so I still adore Pinkerton.

Besides, it was written as a conscious mirror on the less pleasant part of his mind at that time & place, which I think is fair. We do sometimes find ourselves thinking thoughts that are unpleasant and we are ashamed of & wouldn't ever voice.

Well, yeah, I was a bit like that when I was that age, so I guess it reminds me of what an idiot I was. But there are some songs that lean further towards the 'if I can't have her no-one can' rather than just teenage pining.

I exaggerated a bit, I still listen to the Descendants, I just have to skip some tracks!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Pyramids experience can be like that. Most of the images people see are of majestic pyramids looming against a deserted desert background.

Yes if you look in one direction, but look in the other direction, the city comes almost right up to them, and they're surrounded by pretty much slums, ill-treated camels, donkeys and horses, garbage, rotting animal corpses - when they die they're just shoved out of the way, not buried.

That said: magical experience, riding over the desert at night on horseback with a bunch of guys I never met before, sitting on a 'cliff' edge over the pyramids eating kofte and drinking coke. And oblivious to the fact that it was completely illegal and taking a flash photo which caused the police to come riding over on their camels and money to exchange hands while I was kept back.

Totally ripped off paying $200 instead of 200LE (about £20 at the time). The duty of the Western tourist (which I was at that particular time rather than a resident) to be completely ripped off at least once.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 13, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I remember reading one reason why Paris syndrome is a particular thing among Japanese people is that "Flagging relationship is magically restored by visit to Paris" is (was?) a popular theme in Japanese tv and movies, so when a married couple get there and discover that a) It's actually full of Parisians (and dog poo poo) and b) their marriage is still poo poo the trauma is multiplied.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1414884056358129664

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I always assumed there was a similar phenomenon for people who visit London expecting a beautiful sprawling vista made up of London Eye, St Pauls, Big Ben and Buckingham Palace and end up walking through literally any part of North, South or East London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mrpwase posted:

Well, yeah, I was a bit like that when I was that age, so I guess it reminds me of what an idiot I was. But there are some songs that lean further towards the 'if I can't have her no-one can' rather than just teenage pining.

I exaggerated a bit, I still listen to the Descendants, I just have to skip some tracks!

"If I can't have her then no one can" is obviously gross & gives off potential murderer vibes but it's definitely a thought dumb teen me had at some point. In retrospect I'm sort of lucky that the whole incel vibe wasn't codified 20 years ago coz I might have fallen into it. (But then I was already a socialist with strong views on social justice so maybe not)