Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
imagine being so big of a piece of poo poo that you cannot find a company to do business with in the pro wrestling industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

russo doesnt get my sympy

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWXT00v7Eig

He doesn't condone the rail-jumper's actions and he tells everyone not to be a dumbass and don't jump the loving rail at a wrestling show, but he goes out of his way to get in as many shots at AEW as possible in the process, because of course he does.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
can someone sum up for me why Jim hates AEW/Omega/etc?? I've never heard the backstory of it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sba posted:

can someone sum up for me why Jim hates AEW/Omega/etc?? I've never heard the backstory of it

Kenny once wrestled a 9 nine year old girl, therefore destroying the wrestling business forever

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

sba posted:

every wrestler he poo poo on while he was at ROH are doing very well in AEW

edit: also he's disowned Jericho because Jericho donated to trump lol, just shitheads on both sides on that one

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also, making GBS threads on AEW is the only thing that gets him views nowadays

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in a nutshell they're not serious enough and do too much "we all know this is fake wink wink" bullshit e.g., kenny does a hadouken and someone takes a bump from it or orange cassidy's entire character. he feels that this is making a mockery of wrestling.

then a lot of other little things but that's really the crux of it

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
He also HATES comedy wrestling, buried the gently caress out of Colt Cabana for it as a booker, and a lot of AEW is comedy wrestling

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Jim's a comedy wrestler

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i don't like that about aew either because originally they said they were going to be sports based or whatever

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mulaney Power Move posted:

in a nutshell they're not serious enough and do too much "we all know this is fake wink wink" bullshit e.g., kenny does a hadouken and someone takes a bump from it or orange cassidy's entire character. he feels that this is making a mockery of wrestling.

then a lot of other little things but that's really the crux of it

close, the actual answer is because they did not give him a job

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

sba posted:

two things:
1. Omega is a hot non-WWE wrestler right now, easy to drive clicks by attempting to own him
2. Omega decided not to do an ROH date and instead took a last minute booking in Japan when Jim was handling talent for ROH. Which, if you dig into Cornette's management style(mostly cursing and violent threats), you can see why Kenny's like nah gently caress that, I'd rather wrestle some matshow in Shinjuku Face's lobby.

Kenny King also did what Kenny did but did Chippendales instead of Japan. Also gets the same level of vitriol.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Jim's a comedy wrestler

he tries hard to make a distinction between what he did and what comedy wrestling does now but the truth is wrestling was pretty stupid in the 80s too like bugsy mcgraw, give me a break

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

and yeah AEW didn't give Cornette a job, despite his GLOWING track record in the last 30 years. So obviously AEW is stupid and doesn't know what they're doing.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Basically Cornette has a photographic memory of every slight against him and an inability to ever let things go which makes him an insufferable rear end in a top hat.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Kunabomber posted:

every wrestler he poo poo on while he was at ROH are doing very well in AEW

edit: also he's disowned Jericho because Jericho donated to trump lol, just shitheads on both sides on that one

He hates comedy wrestling
He thinks Tony Khan is just a money mark
He's mad that no one wants his advice on how to run the place
He hates all the flippydoos that modern wrestlers do
He thinks most of the AEW roster are tiny guys that don't have the right look
He thinks Orange Cassidy and Marko Stunt are killing the business

Should I go on?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

and by glowing, I mean he pretty much burnt down everything he touched by being a loud rear end in a top hat.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

i don't like that about aew either because originally they said they were going to be sports based or whatever

I wanted it to be American wrestling booked like NJPW at it’s peak but I am enjoying what they became which is basically just the late 90s WWE/ECW/WCW modernized somewhat.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

he tries hard to make a distinction between what he did and what comedy wrestling does now but the truth is wrestling was pretty stupid in the 80s too like bugsy mcgraw, give me a break

If anything, today's self-aware wink, wink comedy wrestling works a lot better than what came before, and that's not mentioning the unintentional comedy of 'real' wrestling back then.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's been three years. People need to get over this. It's very clear what the product is at this point, it's found it's identity. They seem to have only ever meant they were going to make rankings and wins and losses matter by this, as a question about that was what it was in reference to, if I'm remembering correctly.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

wrestling peaked with hackenschmidt vs. gotch and has been downhill ever since smdh

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wrestling peaked when it got banned in Paris for being fake in 1860

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Also, why are the olds still so mad about people 'exposing the business'?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Milo of Croton was the GOAT

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Also, why are the olds still so mad about people 'exposing the business'?

it's an identity thing. they identify as being wrestlers and they liked thinking of themselves as legit. kind of like someone in social sciences getting mad when someone says it's not really science.

it used to be a business thing but you can't say that once you're retired.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh yeah, on the one hand I get why Jim has all these different ideas of who's this wrestler and who's that wrestler and why one is more respectable.

But also at the end of the day they all fall down on their butt to make you feel an emotion. It's all the same poo poo. A wonderful 200+ year tradition of falling down funny and/or cool.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Alaois posted:

wrestling peaked when it got banned in Paris for being fake in 1860

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Presented without comment

https://youtu.be/G22qfagAc_o

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Great match, didn't know Corny worked as a wrestler

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

his excuse for that not being the same as wrestling a 9 year old is convoluted. something like they presented it as a wrestoer in a costume rather than he's wrestling an actual ninja turtle and the point was to humilate him.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

a real ninja turtle would not have lowered himself to Cornette's level.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

coconono posted:

2. Omega decided not to do an ROH date and instead took a last minute booking in Japan when Jim was handling talent for ROH. Which, if you dig into Cornette's management style(mostly cursing and violent threats), you can see why Kenny's like nah gently caress that, I'd rather wrestle some matshow in Shinjuku Face's lobby.

This is slightly different.

Kenny told ROH that he was injured. He then sent a super obvious joke picture of a mangled leg to Delirious to be funny, per Kenny. Per Cornette, he was trying to pass off an obvious fake leg pic as an excuse. He then went to a Japanese show at which he was given an award. He didn't wrestle. Cornette decided this meant that he was faking.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm sure AEW also offends Cornette and his ilk because women, LGBT talent, non-binary wrestlers, etc. are treated with respect and not some freak sideshow or heel to get cheap heat.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

collocation posted:

This is slightly different.

Kenny told ROH that he was injured. He then sent a super obvious joke picture of a mangled leg to Delirious to be funny, per Kenny. Per Cornette, he was trying to pass off an obvious fake leg pic as an excuse. He then went to a Japanese show at which he was given an award. He didn't wrestle. Cornette decided this meant that he was faking.

ok Cornette always alleges that Omega wrestled. I think I heard Omega tell the story once and keep forgetting the detail discrepancies.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm sure AEW also offends Cornette and his ilk because women, LGBT talent, non-binary wrestlers, etc. are treated with respect and not some freak sideshow or heel to get cheap heat.
I feel like a (thankfully) small amount of wrestling fans dislike AEW for those reasons alone. It's sickening.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I feel like a (thankfully) small amount of wrestling fans dislike AEW for those reasons alone. It's sickening.

JWM and Nick Gage have both publicly supported the Wrestling Is For Everyone stuff which has really wised a lot of people up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

coconono posted:

ok Cornette always alleges that Omega wrestled. I think I heard Omega tell the story once and keep forgetting the detail discrepancies.

If it helps it's the first time I've heard Omega didn't wrestle. Which is not to say I don't believe it, mind you, so I figure it just means that part gets left out because the shouty tennis racket man is doing his thing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

his excuse for that not being the same as wrestling a 9 year old is convoluted. something like they presented it as a wrestoer in a costume rather than he's wrestling an actual ninja turtle and the point was to humilate him.

If I remember rightly, Kenny Omega vs Haruka was presented as the mean nasty cocky Foreigner heel about to beat up a 9 year old girl because thats a dastardly thing a heel would do. And he said he would win within a time limit coz thats a thing a cocky heel would do.

The plucky babyface little girl shows some "fighting spirit"(tm) and hits a few moves, but still gets the poo poo kicked out of her, (I think Kenny hits a Shining Wizard on her), and is about to truly gently caress her up with his finisher, but because of his cockiness/her fighting spirit, runs out of time. Therefore loses ON A TECHNICALITY. He slinks away as the defeated humiliated heel, she basks in the cheers of a happy crowd. And all is right with the world.

This is old school wrestling 101. Everyone gets over, the crowd is happy, and she didn't "real life" win, and Kenny is shown to be both bigger, tougher, a better wrestler than her, but also a horrible heel for being prepared to do his move on a defenceless little girl.

So Cornettes objection to it boils down to "It's silly and unbelievable". Which is bullshit. Because from Hulk Hogan to Mil Mascaras to loving Harley Race, all wrestling is silly and unbelievable.

Personally, I love the Kenny vs Haruka match. For all the pro wrestling 101 story poo poo I just said, but also for the way that Kenny and the ref work so sweetly and gently with a little girl living her dream, and how the crowd immediately buy in and support her and carry her through it.

Cornette can get hosed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

This is definitely true, as evidenced by his fury that Nyla Rose wasn't booked with a "I've got an unfair advantage because I'm trans" gimmick.