Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MakaVillian posted:

Got both doses at the Telus Convention Centre. First one had a long line through the Plus 15s but still moved fairly quick, took about an hour from getting in line to leaving after the 15 minute waiting period. Second one, I pretty much walked right in and got the poke. I was impressed with how organized it was both times. Amazing how if you give the Health Care system enough resources, everything works pretty well!

Telus has a vested interest in pumping as many people as possible full of that 5G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

McGavin posted:

Telus has a vested interest in pumping as many people as possible full of that 5G.

:hmmyes:

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I got Pfizer again which I was glad as people with Modena as their 2nd seemed to have worse side effects

It's the next day and I'm feeling a bit like I'm coming down with a cold or flu, but confident I'll be fine tomorrow!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I had Pfizer then Moderna, as did my partner. I had a sore arm for ~3 days but not debilitatingly so, and a brief bout of dizziness about 24 hours after the shot. Partner had the same arm, and had a rough first night with a lot of flu symptoms, but those had dissipated by 24 hours after the shot.

e: this was after the Moderna. Our first Pfizer shots were side effect-free.

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 12, 2021

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Had my second Pfizer shot and felt pretty fine the next day. Was worried that I got a placebo for a bit after reading about other people's reactions

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’m AZ then Pfizer and the second dose only left me with a sore arm, nothing else.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Arabian Jesus posted:

Had my second Pfizer shot and felt pretty fine the next day. Was worried that I got a placebo for a bit after reading about other people's reactions

Pretty much me. Husband got Moderna both times, I got Pfizer both times. It’s been 12 hours and so far no symptoms at all except for the usual sore arm.

Had some anti-vaxxers hanging out by the entrance to the drive through one for my husband. Screaming “gently caress YOU” to drown them out at the top of my lungs was cathartic.

I was also amazed at the efficiency of the “hockey method”. I went early to my appointment cause nobody was in line, and the time from the front door to being stuck with a needle was literally a minute and a half. No exaggeration, I checked my phone! loving awesome when the health care system is actually funded and organized.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Just in case anybody is worried about second Moderna for some reason, it did indeed suck a lot, but symptoms for me and everyone I know have been limited to just 24 hours.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Coming home 2 weeks from DK. Is there a site I can see Toronto COVID rules I need to follow? Fully vaccinated with Pfizer and I had COVID last year to boot.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pfizer both times, absolutely pancaked yesterday

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

PittTheElder posted:

Just in case anybody is worried about second Moderna for some reason, it did indeed suck a lot, but symptoms for me and everyone I know have been limited to just 24 hours.

Basically my experience. Moderna was my second shot which I got on Saturday afternoon. Yesterday was pretty rough with a variety of things like chills, aches, and nausea. Not the worst I've ever felt but not pleasant. Last night I had some night sweats, but today I'm more or less back to normal besides feeling a bit tired.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChickenDoodle posted:

Pretty much me. Husband got Moderna both times, I got Pfizer both times. It’s been 12 hours and so far no symptoms at all except for the usual sore arm.

Had some anti-vaxxers hanging out by the entrance to the drive through one for my husband. Screaming “gently caress YOU” to drown them out at the top of my lungs was cathartic.

I was also amazed at the efficiency of the “hockey method”. I went early to my appointment cause nobody was in line, and the time from the front door to being stuck with a needle was literally a minute and a half. No exaggeration, I checked my phone! loving awesome when the health care system is actually funded and organized.

I went to a local Shoppers Drug Mart again for my second shot this morning. It took longer to fill out the consent forms than it did to get the shot. First time I was waiting in line for 40 minutes as there was a backlog and they can only handle one vaccination at a time. This time it was in and out in 20 minutes including the 15 I had to wait after the shot.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Rust Martialis posted:

Coming home 2 weeks from DK. Is there a site I can see Toronto COVID rules I need to follow? Fully vaccinated with Pfizer and I had COVID last year to boot.

Remembered this article recently: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/travel-rules-covid-19-vaccinated-1.6094133

“Although vaccinated Canadian travellers are now exempt from quarantine, they're still required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test before returning to Canada and must take a second test upon arrival. The federal government covers the cost of the arrival test. However, travellers must arrange and pay for their pre-arrival test, which could cost hundreds of dollars, depending on which country they are departing.”

Sorry I don’t know what DK means (Denmark?) but this is the last I could find.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

PittTheElder posted:

It's a real crapshoot though. After my second Moderna jab the symptoms were pretty minor: Sore spot on my arm at injection site, a couple days of persistent fatigue, and that's it. I lucked out with no fever, chills, or anything more severe. Account for self reporting bias and I'm sure the minor or no symptom cases outnumber the severe ones, just as the clinical trials have predicted.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

I got my second Moderna on the 14th (of June), started feeling lovely the morning of the 15th, and then was knocked out for pretty much exactly two weeks. Super nauseous, weak, alternating between hot and cold flashes. Went to urgent care on the 21st and was told I was dehydrated and to get my electrolytes up. Went back on the 24th because I felt just as lovely but was also peeing every 30 minutes, this time I got some super-gravol which helped. Started feeling like a human on the 28th and then normal shortly thereafter. It is also entirely possible I got a stomach bug at the same time as my vaccination, but it's more fun to blame it all on the vaccine.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I think the side effects are a total dice roll. Some people feel absolutely nothing, some have mild symptoms, and some get knocked on their rear end.

GF and I got Pfizer for both our doses, and we were actually shocked that we shared almost identical experiences both times. First shot was a mildly sore arm for a day, second shot was the sore arm again with a general feeling of laziness, but the latter could be cause by so many other things.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/ctvottawa/status/1414636956668112896?s=19

What the actual gently caress

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

ChickenDoodle posted:

Remembered this article recently: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/travel-rules-covid-19-vaccinated-1.6094133

Sorry I don’t know what DK means (Denmark?) but this is the last I could find.

Selvfølgelig! Tusind tak!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

PittTheElder posted:

It dragged on for like 2 days for me (started 24 hours after I got the shot, ended 48 hours after that) but it wasn't that intense.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
Got Moderna for both shots, second shot was on the 8th. First shot was arm soreness and general lethargy. Second shot gave me flu-like symptoms, primarily muscle soreness, joint pain, and chills so bad that I can't remember the last time I shivered so hard. The worst symptoms lasted maybe a day and a half. Oh, and I also got a pink, puffy rash just below (not around) the injection site on my bicep instead of the deltoid. That lasted a little longer, and is pretty much gone today. 10/10 would do again.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

lol I hope that PI wrote up a list of bullshit expense claims a mile long.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Faded Mars posted:

Got Moderna for both shots, second shot was on the 8th. First shot was arm soreness and general lethargy. Second shot gave me flu-like symptoms, primarily muscle soreness, joint pain, and chills so bad that I can't remember the last time I shivered so hard. The worst symptoms lasted maybe a day and a half. Oh, and I also got a pink, puffy rash just below (not around) the injection site on my bicep instead of the deltoid. That lasted a little longer, and is pretty much gone today. 10/10 would do again.

And you probably will.... Lets see how the booster convo happens.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Man I missed out on all the cool side effects

My first shot felt like a placebo, my second shot I felt a bit crappy and low energy that night, and was fine the next morning. Double Moderna.

Fully expecting my wife to get utterly waylaid however, her first shot made her feverish the rest of the day. We intentionally booked our shots on different days to make sure at least one of us would be healthy and able to offer aide to the suffering partner.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

NZAmoeba posted:

Man I missed out on all the cool side effects

My first shot felt like a placebo

Yeah, about that...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

The Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms is representing a group of seven Manitoba churches who are challenging the province’s public health orders, arguing they have violated religious freedoms.

of course

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

For some reason young women 18-30 have started to really, really not like Justin Trudeau.

18-29 Men: Singh vs Trudeau: 55 to 49. Not too far off. Men like Trudeau fine.
18-29 Women: Singh vs Trudeau: 56 to 29. That's a 20 point plunge there for some reason.

From the latest abacus data released this morning
https://abacusdata.ca/party-leaders-canada-abacus-july-2021/

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Femtosecond posted:

For some reason young women 18-30 have started to really, really not like Justin Trudeau.

18-29 Women: Singh vs Trudeau: 56 to 29. That's a 20 point plunge there for some reason.

It's because he shaved the beard, I guarantee the same trend appears amongst gay men.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What loving agency uses minors?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's because Trudeau's beard game is weak. He cannot hope to compete with Singh and so he shaved it off in shame. The bald guy is polling even worse. Women notice.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

FYI in terms of Variants of Concern

https://www.narcity.com/covid-19-vaccines--variants-new-study-shows-vaccines-are-very-effective-against-4-variants

even one dose has a huge effect on your chance of hospitalization/death. A big danger of COVID has always been it's novelty, because the standard pattern is that exposure in infancy/very young helps prime your immune system for a response, which obviously no one had for COVID. Even with variants, the evidence so far is that the vaccines are really working, so as long as we keep it up, our death rate should be much better even with the spike in cases from reopening.

Don't be stupid, but understand the risk in context.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

This is actually very depressing. 1/3 of women under 30 think O'Toole is modern and interesting wtf.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Glimpse posted:

This is actually very depressing. 1/3 of women under 30 think O'Toole is modern and interesting wtf.

Scheer was about as appealing as wallpaper paste and O'Toole is a wandering suit that has trapped a human inside

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Glimpse posted:

1/3 of women under 30 who are willing to sit through a phone poll about politics

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Glimpse posted:

A)

Noblesse Obliged posted:

1/3 of women under 30 who are willing to sit through a phone poll about politics

but also, those people are young conservatives. They are ideologically commited to the cons, like their parents are usually, and would respond that to a little baby murdering robot if the cons ran it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I think I gave up on "what about new variants" when I learned that a new variant can develop entirely within one person.

I mean yes viruses are extremely unstable and mutate rapidly through their propagation mechanisms but please don’t give them another loving dice to roll

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've done online market research for a decade and I just started a new gig that focuses on phone surveys and the idea that someone would stay on their phone to answer a 25 minute questionnaire for little to no reward has blown my mind.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Beelzebufo posted:

FYI in terms of Variants of Concern

https://www.narcity.com/covid-19-vaccines--variants-new-study-shows-vaccines-are-very-effective-against-4-variants

even one dose has a huge effect on your chance of hospitalization/death. A big danger of COVID has always been it's novelty, because the standard pattern is that exposure in infancy/very young helps prime your immune system for a response, which obviously no one had for COVID. Even with variants, the evidence so far is that the vaccines are really working, so as long as we keep it up, our death rate should be much better even with the spike in cases from reopening.

Don't be stupid, but understand the risk in context.

So this is positive news but I think it's really bad for outlets to be reporting on pre-print non peer reviewed studies. I assume they found it on arxiv or something. This is not all the way through the scientific process yet.
It's probably fine in this case but I don't like it. This is how you get incorrect information blowing up in the press and retractions or updates don't put the genie back in the bottle.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

PT6A posted:

One other thing I found that was curious about the census language questions was that it only asked about languages-other-than-English-and-French being spoken in the home, not whether you could speak and understand them -- but it did specifically ask if you speak/understand English and French regardless of whether it's used in the home.

Probably a workforce stat. English and French are the language you will probably use country wide while working even if you do not speak it at home.

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Pleads posted:

I've done online market research for a decade and I just started a new gig that focuses on phone surveys and the idea that someone would stay on their phone to answer a 25 minute questionnaire for little to no reward has blown my mind.

This happened to me by accident once. Got a call to do a survey about local radio stations that started with the guy asking me for a list of ones I knew. Trying to be helpful I gave him a list of about a half dozen. They survey design had about 5 minutes of questions for each radio station you mentioned, and I felt bad for the guy so I just kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pleads posted:

In the least surprising anecdote ever my dad does this because he used to do phone research himself and feels like he had to and/or feels sorry for the people calling.

He is also nearly 90 years old so the surveys take 10 times longer than they should and by the time he’s done the surveyor is probably the more annoyed one.