Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Well, then you should probably be prepared to drop several hundred dollars on it. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Youth Decay posted:

let me introduce you all to the Sea Ranch

It's actually got a really interesting history that could belong in this thread - hippies grew old, design that grew from utopian experimentation became the new rigid traditionalism, house values increased to turn what was supposed to be an eco-commune of sorts into a vacation home enclave like any other in California. Eventually the principles building off vernacular architecture get replaced with just a vague sterilized white-walled "modernism" as seen in the remodel of the Don Jacobs house.
https://archive.curbed.com/2019/2/20/18231590/sea-ranch-northern-california-sonoma-county-coast-history
https://archive.curbed.com/2019/2/21/18232116/sea-ranch-coastal-commission-oral-history-legacy
http://searanch.ced.berkeley.edu/s/sea-ranch/page/home

All of this. My parent's home has wormy redwood planks on almost every wall, and has a total of one wall with drywall, trippy 80s blue tile, and the clearest pine floors I have ever seen and you can take it all from my cold dead hands.
We did get rid of the cookie monster fir wall to wall in the goddamn bathroom though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Well, then you should probably be prepared to drop several hundred dollars on it. Sorry.

:saddowns: I suspected as much.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah you’re gonna need to go to a legit furniture store. You may get lucky and find something on clearance.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unless you're in the UK! I was taught "A pint's a pound the world around", and it is a LIE. Imperial pints are 20 ounces.

To make this even sillier, the Imperial fluid ounce is smaller than the American fluid ounce. 1 Imperial pint is 568ml; one US pint is 473ml. 20 US fluid ounces is 591ml.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Man, y'all need to get poorer.

Look on Facebook Marketplace and local sale groups. Look on Craigslist. Look at your local auction companies, either ones at their location or estate auctions.
Estate auctions are where it is AT, my friend.
Look at flea markets! Look if you have a used furniture store around! Look and see if you have furniture repair/refinishers in your area.

There is gobs of used furniture to be had, and if your friend already committed themselves to helping you, then if you found a table that needs to work, well that's easier than building a whole new table.
Hell, most of the time all you need is a good cleaning, some light sanding and a new coat of stain.

and as TooMuchAbstraction said, anything made of real wood should be fine, so you can go vintage with 1970s and 80s before everything was plywood.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 13, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can do it together with your dad, it won't take a lot of effort, and it should come out well. Dark stains are more forgiving. I think the biggest pain would be if you want that bar top epoxy to protect it from water, but that's a pretty interesting process and it's not necessary

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man, y'all need to get poorer.

Look on Facebook Marketplace and local sale groups. Look on Craigslist. Look at your local auction companies, either ones at their location or estate auctions.
Estate auctions are where it is AT, my friend.
Restoring furniture is fun, but look at the dimensions she needs. You're not going to find long narrow behind-the-couch console tables from the '40s or the '70s. Dining tables yes, side tables yes, but what she needs wasn't a thing then afaik. You would be limited to more recent stuff, so either expensive or mdf. It's still worth a shot on craigslist or facebook marketplace, but it's not going to be dropping from the skies the way Queen Anne repro does.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Anne Whateley posted:

Restoring furniture is fun, but look at the dimensions she needs. You're not going to find long narrow behind-the-couch console tables from the '40s or the '70s. Dining tables yes, side tables yes, but what she needs wasn't a thing then afaik. You would be limited to more recent stuff, so either expensive or mdf. It's still worth a shot on craigslist or facebook marketplace, but it's not going to be dropping from the skies the way Queen Anne repro does.

36 inches long and 12 to 14 inches wide isn't some white whale item.

Not like she is asking for a 10 foot long, 2 foot wide butler's pantry

like I have in storage

Actually, you know what would be good for that? Those console stereos that they made into the 80s.

like this:

but there is all kinds of styles. The ones from the 70s and 80s you can get pretty cheap, if you look around. Could even gut it, and store your aquarium supplies in it.

Here is a really nice looking one, with a solid top on it, for 25 bucks.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...3Anull%7D%22%7D

...though, I suppose it is a fair bit wider than your 12-14 inches.

ANYWAY, I mean personally, I'd grab a tape measure, and spend a day at the local flea markets.

Saw this:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...3Anull%7D%22%7D

Anyhow, my point is, there is ton of possibilities out there. Just gotta start looking.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 13, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Why not just use an aquarium stand? Unless you got a custom tank, there’s almost certainly one available in that size, and you can generally get them in wood or metal. I always preferred the metal ones, since water won’t hurt them.

The wood ones are generally so cheap you’d have a really hard time building one for less.

Jows
May 8, 2002

e: ^^^^^^^^^^^BAH ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Why not just buy an aquarium stand? Flat waterproofed top with storage cabinets underneath and made to hold a lot of water. Usually look nice.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
If their dimensions are correct, they did indeed buy a strange custom size aquarium. Closest standard size is a 29 gallon (or 20 long, same dimensions) at 30x12. Their only stand option in that case would be a 55 gallon stand, which is 4 feet long.

But yeah, op, if you bought a 29 gallon tank, this is a solved problem.

Edit: Actually, forgot about breeder tanks. You could use a 40 gallon breeder stand, 36x18

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 13, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-thornbury-136751138

"has weathered some significant wear-and-tear and would offer a fabulous challenge for renovators"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slugworth posted:

If their dimensions are correct, they did indeed buy a strange custom size aquarium.

Aqueon makes three tanks with those dimensions.

Now, the weight is way off—a hundred and twenty pounds doesn’t even get you fifteen gallons of water, let along glass and rock, but the outline isn’t that weird.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Dareon posted:

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-thornbury-136751138

"has weathered some significant wear-and-tear and would offer a fabulous challenge for renovators"

click this link to see a house that was gutted by fire, on the market for over a million dollar(ydoo)s

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/andlikelaura/status/1414721320063885312

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Schrödinger's Scorpion

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dead, because there is no way some paint is enough to stop a scorpion.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Any time. Any time.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
STAY OVER THERE

Jows
May 8, 2002

hypnophant posted:

click this link to see a house that was gutted by fire, on the market for over a million dollar(ydoo)s

Petition to rename Australia's official currency name from Australian Dollar to Dollarydoo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I bought a long, narrow aquarium and I need a long, narrow table for it, like one of those behind the couch console tables, but it needs to support 120+ lbs and I've been having a hell of a time. I have an old high school classmate who makes custom tables and stuff but he said he's not taking commissions until lumber prices fall.

If you know of a nice looking table that's approx 36 inches long and 12-14 inches wide that can hold that much, please let me know.

Check the IKEA build it yourself tables. They’ll sell you a table top in a number of sizes, and a set of legs in a variety of lengths, materials, and styles. Just check the capacity of both parts. I haven’t, so I don’t know if they have anything up to the task, but it’s worth looking.

I had a similar issue when I was looking for a low TV stand for the bedroom, but still had an old 36” CRT TV. All the stands hold maybe 30 pounds now, because LCDs weigh very little. This beast weighed 80 or 90 pounds by itself. I did finally find one that had a center support and leg that could handle it at Target, but it cost me more than I wanted (which basically applies to most furniture, really…)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

hypnophant posted:

loving hell, I missed the price. Woo.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Darchangel posted:

Check the IKEA build it yourself tables. They’ll sell you a table top in a number of sizes, and a set of legs in a variety of lengths, materials, and styles. Just check the capacity of both parts. I haven’t, so I don’t know if they have anything up to the task, but it’s worth looking.

Man, I went to Ikea the week before last. All their modular tabletops were way too wide, AND they're out of everything. I was ready to drop $1300 on a couch and bed but they didn't have either. Apparently they're having serious inventory issues.

The tank itself is a 10 gallon with a 30x10 inch footprint, which I got off Marketplace, so who knows where it originally came from. I go to thrift stores just about every weekend and I carry a tape measure in my bag, so I guess I'll just keep looking around.

edit: Posting the floor plan in the listing for that fire gutted house is a very bold move on the realtor's part.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

The tank itself is a 10 gallon with a 30x10 inch footprint, which I got off Marketplace, so who knows where it originally came from. I go to thrift stores just about every weekend and I carry a tape measure in my bag, so I guess I'll just keep looking around.

… I’m sorry, but something is way off here. Your tank would be less than 8” tall at 10 gallons and 30”x10”.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

smax posted:

… I’m sorry, but something is way off here. Your tank would be less than 8” tall at 10 gallons and 30”x10”.

Perhaps it’s not rectangular? That might explain the unusual size as well.

Or, perhaps it’s like my dad’s fish tank. In what I’m sure he felt was an appropriately cocaine decor move for 1981, he had a custom tank made to fit the dimensions of the headboard cabinet thing of his bed at the time.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

smax posted:

It's a very low tank, yes. It's more than 8 inches so maybe it's 15 gallons? I'm going to do a shallow pondlike Walstad tank that's more about plants than livestock, although there will be a few fish and some shrimp/snails.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

I'm going to do a shallow pondlike Walstad tank that's more about plants than livestock, although there will be a few fish and some shrimp/snails.

Neat.

One thing that you haven't seemed to consider: something ugly, but sturdy, with cloth draped over it to hide the ugliness. Keeps your stand and supplies out of sight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Neat.

One thing that you haven't seemed to consider: something ugly, but sturdy, with cloth draped over it to hide the ugliness. Keeps your stand and supplies out of sight.

But enough about your sex life

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Need to move the stripper pipe away from the corner

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Got a link?

How does this poo poo even happen? If it isn't load bearing, and is an actual pipe with fluid, relocating it is trivial. If its part of some weird structural retrofit, it'd be like $600 to make a system that is 10x stronger and looks like part of the wall. That said, this has decent poor Russia/Eastern Europe vibes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

CarForumPoster posted:

Got a link?

How does this poo poo even happen? If it isn't load bearing, and is an actual pipe with fluid, relocating it is trivial. If its part of some weird structural retrofit, it'd be like $600 to make a system that is 10x stronger and looks like part of the wall.

yeah or the lazy landlord/flipper could pocket that $600 and move on to renting or selling the property

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

CarForumPoster posted:

Got a link?

How does this poo poo even happen? If it isn't load bearing, and is an actual pipe with fluid, relocating it is trivial. If its part of some weird structural retrofit, it'd be like $600 to make a system that is 10x stronger and looks like part of the wall. That said, this has decent poor Russia/Eastern Europe vibes.

Sorry no, I just grabbed it from Twitter. Seems there's another on the left side in cladding and a third one on the right! I think is American.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CarForumPoster posted:

Got a link?

There may be a concrete deck involved, which could make moving stuff expensive or functionally impossible.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

It's a very low tank, yes. It's more than 8 inches so maybe it's 15 gallons? I'm going to do a shallow pondlike Walstad tank that's more about plants than livestock, although there will be a few fish and some shrimp/snails.

At this point, :justpost: the tank.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

Got a link?

It’s probably the pipe for the steam system. Which doubles as a radiant heat source cause they get hot as gently caress when turned on.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Post poste posted:

At this point, :justpost: the tank.

For real, I want to see this freak of nature

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Am I the stupidest woman in the world? Probably, because when I went out to the garage to measure it, I found that my husband had placed it on top of a wooden bookshelf that's exactly the right size... we just moved within the last month to a bigger house and ended up with some hand-me-down furniture that's just been hanging around until we find a place for it. It didn't even occur to me to look out there.

Anyway, the dimensions are about 11 inches deep, 30 inches long, and 12 inches high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
WHAT A TWEEST!

The perfect item was inside the garage ALL ALONG