Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also idk if it's just me but I have never played a shecter and been really impressed. None of them have ever really had that unconscious superstitious mojo as I've felt with other brands. There's literally no actual explanation for this and it may stem from seeing their avenged sevenfold ads in guitar player magazine as a kind and thinking they looked super lame, but just like they all felt really cheap and plastic like with odd necks and just no soul to it at all.

Idk, just a weird superstition. I have the same opinion about Ernie ball guitars and strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I kind of know what you're talking about. I'm basically you in reverse, I feel like both of my Schecters fit me like a glove. And I know what you mean by the plastic thing, at least with my 600 dollar one. I think it's the matte finish that causes it. The 1200 dollar Schecter is completely different though. It's ash and has some heft to it, and a different neck, and the neck thru feels amazing down low. If you get a chance to play an SLS, give it a try sometimes. I actually didn't click with it well at first because it felt different to the other Schecter.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Long enough that inflation has probably hosed with my experiences, but like the squier contemporary active series is absolutely perfectly optimized mix of price and performance so yeah I still base it off that

But even my shittiest rondo guitar felt amazing after a little bit of TLC so maybe I just have a higher tolerance for dealing with faults or I get extremely lucky with the guitars I try out and or buy.

From trading/building/borrowing dozens of guitars, I'd estimate ~700 used and ~1000 new is about right for diminishing returns these days.

Re: Schecter talk, they've been the most hit and miss I've ever seen with their prices. A friend has the Blackjack ATX Solo II in black and red, and the black is miles better than the red in every aspect. Or almost any other guitar I've tried.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I'm terrible at flatpicking and have a question about anchoring. I've been trying to learn some bluegrass runs and have been anchoring my palm on the strings by the bridge. I've been watching some old Doc Watson videos and he seems to keep his hand completely free floating and doesn't seem to use his wrist at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3VWOeqph0M&t=19s

I know I am never going to be able to play that fast, but should I be trying to break my anchoring habit, and how much wrist should I be using because that is completely the opposite of the way I've played in the past.

There are some other styles that float and I think the motivation behind it is volume. It allows the forearm to transfer the force to the string. But it's like relearning your whole picking technique. I ran into similar issues when learning hot jazz/manouche guitar.

I used to never do it until I learned clawhammer banjo (where you strike a string with the backside of your nail). So if you have a banjo handy, try frailing/clawhammer for a bit and see if that will transfer over to floating.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebraska Tim posted:

From trading/building/borrowing dozens of guitars, I'd estimate ~700 used and ~1000 new is about right for diminishing returns these days.

Re: Schecter talk, they've been the most hit and miss I've ever seen with their prices. A friend has the Blackjack ATX Solo II in black and red, and the black is miles better than the red in every aspect. Or almost any other guitar I've tried.

That feels pretty right, the new fenders definitely threw off my math.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also idk if it's just me but I have never played a shecter and been really impressed. None of them have ever really had that unconscious superstitious mojo as I've felt with other brands. There's literally no actual explanation for this and it may stem from seeing their avenged sevenfold ads in guitar player magazine as a kind and thinking they looked super lame, but just like they all felt really cheap and plastic like with odd necks and just no soul to it at all.

Idk, just a weird superstition. I have the same opinion about Ernie ball guitars and strings.

I feel this way about Gibson and Fender.

EDIT: My wacky custom Halloween Schecter has one of the nicest necks I’ve ever played at any price.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also anything "cool" Schecter tries to do is usually cringe. Like the bat inlays and stuff. But they really do feel good to play.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also anything "cool" Schecter tries to do is usually cringe. Like the bat inlays and stuff. But they really do feel good to play.

The bats are hilariously cute, imo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a foolish pianist posted:

The bats are hilariously cute, imo

Nah it's kinda cringe

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Nebraska Tim posted:

I picked up a used FGN super strat for about 800 and it's by far the nicest and best playing guitar I've ever owned. I think their LP copies are supposed to be top tier as well.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

a foolish pianist posted:

I feel this way about Gibson and Fender.

Same. A five thousand dollar Les Paul doesn’t feel five times better than a top of the line Epiphone Les Paul Custom for a thousand dollars.

I find that picking up a Music Man, on the other hand, does actually magically imbue you with powers. Like, whoa, you’re playing a Music Man. That’s the kind of guitar really good players use. That means you’re really good when playing one. A Sterling grants similar powers but on a proportional scale of price to magic.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Spanish Manlove posted:

Nah it's kinda cringe

This is the worst thing I have ever seen you post.

Edit: to be clear, everything else is cringe, but bats rule.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 13, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also I decided to go with the reduced price Solar with the Floyd. Hopefully the QC on this one will be a little better. Although I probably could have fixed the nut on the LTD pretty cheaply and had the frets filed down, but it also didn't "fit" and it's easy to do a return so whatever. Multi scale was cool though, although it didn't really feel much different to me. So my feelings on multi-scale right now are "oh cool" but not something I feel I would seek out specifically. I'd still like to have an Ormsby though, even though I made fun of that one goon Ormsby a few months ago.

e: I wonder if I should put my Invader and Sentient in the Solar. I'm not sure how good the Duncan Designed ones that Ola had made are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w3nm75XbBg Oh neat. I think I like the Invader better

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 13, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mango sentinel posted:

This is the worst thing I have ever seen you post.

Thank you.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey goon that has a Solar guitar, tell me about it please. I'm thinking of returning the LTD guitar I bought, it's just really not a great guitar for 1200 dollars(the worst nut binding and tuning stability out of every guitar I ever owned, fret ends are kind of lovely and the action doesn't go as low as I'd like), and I'm thinking of just getting a Solar, probably with an Evertune. What do you guys think? I could also swap the LTD for a Jackson Soloist that's in the same price range as well, but I need to think about it.

have you serviced the nut at all? my understanding is that if the nut is filed properly, then it shouldn't really bind. i definitely noticed an improvement after a luthier adjusted my Godin's nut, like night and day. and that's accounting for the two string trees

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I kind of know what you're talking about. I'm basically you in reverse, I feel like both of my Schecters fit me like a glove. And I know what you mean by the plastic thing, at least with my 600 dollar one. I think it's the matte finish that causes it. The 1200 dollar Schecter is completely different though. It's ash and has some heft to it, and a different neck, and the neck thru feels amazing down low. If you get a chance to play an SLS, give it a try sometimes. I actually didn't click with it well at first because it felt different to the other Schecter.

I’ve really liked every schecter guitar I’ve ever spent a little time with (C-1 platinum, CR-6, and C-1 blackjack). They all felt real good and were better than the ibanezes in the price range to me, but I’ve never actually owned one. They look kinda doofy and generic to me, but they’re good guitars. Same thing with PRS.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Only one I see for sale locally is a Koa with electronics for $1000 pre-tax which is just too much. I've been keeping my eye out for a less fancy or used model.

Yeah the Koa is the most expensive of the bunch. The rosewood/walnut/mahogany ones are much more reasonable. You get the Koa if you want to try a Koa guitar specifically but don't want to spend $3000+

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Schecter make amazing guitars. Even if the individual models aren't to my taste I do find them generally to feel, sound and look awesome. I have a lot of reserved guitars. A Strat or LP for example. I would absolutely rock a super strat with fucken BAT WINGS on the fretboard, that's awesome. Playing a lot back to back I generally find, for me, that Schecter feels the best of the modern superstrat brands (against Ibanez, etc). Not everything has to be taken seriously.

Also yeah, I use IR cabs in my Torpedo Live. I usually float around the same ones, a Hiwatt 212, an oversized Recto, AC30, Marshall 1960A, and a Tweed Bassman 410 (I think 410). Those alone justify the unit for me imo. Having like a hundred to play with is just icing. The cabs are also super well loving done, and while they lack the feel of air from a cab, sound wise they are pretty much bang on. No regrets, highly encouraged.

Also I go by she so you know :)

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Also I go by she so you know :)

I apologize- this site and this subforum in particular are a goddamn sausage fest for the most part

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It's all good, I don't really mind and it's usually pretty safe to assume tbh. It just gets more awkward the longer it takes to point it out for everyone haha.

I just like talking gear and playing tunes. It's the fucken best. I have my gorgeous MIJ Fender Strat next to me. Been playing it a fair bit lately. Relearning how to use my hands. I'm nowhere near as good as I was at my peak but I can do some slightly solo shreddy stuff again which is pretty nice.

For all the ribbing and poo poo this forum and subforum do it's a chill place that I dig. Altho maybe lay off dogpiling on landgrabber haha. I am genuinely glad they're playing and enjoying guitar :)

Edit:

It isn't as light in person but it is hella vibrant.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Woah, I don’t dig all Strats, but that one does it for me.

I don’t remember if you had an injury or something, but whatever the case, take your time and just try to enjoy playing. I put a big gash in my left hand years ago, and it still aches from day-to-day stuff, but playing guitar gives me a chance to make it feel better. Even if it’s just cause I’m making noise and having fun, it works for me.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 13, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It is a sexy fucken Strat for sure haha. I fell in love the moment I saw it. For AU$1200 it's even better.

And ya I was recently diagnosed with a neurological disorder, and it enjoys robbing me of motor skills a bunch, to the extent of struggling to hold a fork haha. But I'm able to play guitar enough to keep me sane, and it makes noises I like. I'm nowhere near as good as I was but the fact I can play sometimes is enough to make it worth it to me.

having fun posting
Feb 22, 2021

Spanish Manlove posted:

You'd be surprised how loud a small tube combo can get, or how loud the katana can get.

This was a good post, thanks. I think I will be satisfied with a small tube combo or Katana once I can get a little louder regularly.

syntaxfunction posted:

Get a load box. Seriously. So many good options these days.

I wasn't even aware load box was a thing before this, which is why it's good to ask possibly dumb questions on the forums.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

It is absolutely not a dumb question in my opinion. I will just hardcore advocate load boxes because a lot of folks either don't know of them or they're resistant because of experience with older and shittier ones. I will always maintain that it won't replace a cab pushing air, but 99% of the time it's far better suited for people's purposes.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

selling two pedals. not sure if i want to go buy a tube screamer or something similar, or put the cash toward a JM or strat + humbucker. think i might keep everything squirreled away until i'm with the traffic court brouhaha and then see where i am financially

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
doing a solid hundred down the back roads may be fun, but not for your wallet

syntaxfunction posted:

It is absolutely not a dumb question in my opinion. I will just hardcore advocate load boxes because a lot of folks either don't know of them or they're resistant because of experience with older and shittier ones. I will always maintain that it won't replace a cab pushing air, but 99% of the time it's far better suited for people's purposes.

Part of me really does want to get a Mark V head and a load box but I've got like 90% of the sound I want out of my Katana after hours of tweaking. The only way to get bang on to what I want is the step up to a real Boogie, and I can't justify spending several thousand dollars for that extra 10% when I'm not even like, writing and recording stuff, and definitely not gigging.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Kazinsal posted:

Part of me really does want to get a Mark V head and a load box but I've got like 90% of the sound I want out of my Katana after hours of tweaking. The only way to get bang on to what I want is the step up to a real Boogie, and I can't justify spending several thousand dollars for that extra 10% when I'm not even like, writing and recording stuff, and definitely not gigging.

it was just dumb. i was going 93 in a 60 on the interstate at like 2:30 AM -- racing to get home and i was 60 miles away (stayed at my older brother's house too long). funny thing is, i'm cautious driving most of the time, but my anxiety that my mom would be upset got to me, and crucially, straight ahead and straight behind me there was literally NO ONE for miles, completely empty.

it was the night of july 3, so no one was out, but there were cops who'd been waiting, for drunk drivers, presumably. i got charged with reckless driving and speeding. absolutely my fault and idiotic, i'm just hoping i can get some stuff cleared because i can only just BARELY afford my insurance as it is, like if i can just agree to pay fees/a ticket and promise not to do it again. interestingly, though, what i was charged with carries the exact same penalties as driving 85 in a 65, which on the interstate, you basically have to do constantly during the day time, because people make you. so that's kind of weird.

i don't want to pretend that it's not totally my fault, or wasn't irresponsible, or that you should be going that fast. i just literally have to show up in court, it's a mandatory appearance, and if i don't get anything cleared i will literally not be able to afford to have a car/job/anything. blah.

i think i actually will drive out there again tomorrow, or call the court house or something. don't know what i'm going to do about representation yet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If one of the pedals are a Bass Big Muff I might buy it off you haha.

But yeah, I don't know how harshly speeding is treated over there, but it's kind of random here. Hope you get a warning or something minor and then you take note not to speed in the future :)

Kazinsal posted:

I think buying a Mesa head is always justified imo. Like really, the Katana is 90% sure, but you're forever gonna wonder just how much more you'd love a real Mesa Mark V. I didn't plant that seed, it's already there :v:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

if i can make another guitar happen, it'll probably be a coin flip between a CV 70's strat, cause you can get em from sweetwater in Sonic Blue, or a CV 60s JM in daphne blue, from CME, for the same price.

i like the JM sound a lot but i worry that it won't be the best thing for demos. like, a bunch of layered jazzmasters could get grating, maybe. it's something you generally want to have some counter for. whereas a humbucker is just a humbucker, distortion machine go brrrrr.

one thing i've decided on for the songs is that i want to use less power chords/weezery distortion and use the distortion just to sort of add texture to extended voicings, and have that be a lot of the harmony, so i'm not sure what would be better for that. i do notice that on like, a telecaster bridge pickup, especially if it's really distorted, it's almost rare that i can hear high notes coming through at all, through the amp. it tends to get buried really easily. not sure if there's a way outta that.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

If one of the pedals are a Bass Big Muff I might buy it off you haha.

i actually fulfilled that prophecy from a few years ago -- i gave it to a bass player i knew from school who's a good dude, for free (as you gave it to me!).

i've been meaning to jam with him actually.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

landgrabber posted:

i actually fulfilled that prophecy from a few years ago -- i gave it to a bass player i knew from school who's a good dude, for free (as you gave it to me!).

i've been meaning to jam with him actually.

Then the prophecy shall continue yiss. I am super glad you did, I love the idea that it can just float along making people happy. Kind of tempted to do that with some other pedals honestly. Might be a fun thing.

I'm just happy if he likes it and you got some use out of it. The real purpose of gear imo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

landgrabber posted:

it was just dumb. i was going 93 in a 60 on the interstate at like 2:30 AM -- racing to get home and i was 60 miles away (stayed at my older brother's house too long). funny thing is, i'm cautious driving most of the time, but my anxiety that my mom would be upset got to me, and crucially, straight ahead and straight behind me there was literally NO ONE for miles, completely empty.

it was the night of july 3, so no one was out, but there were cops who'd been waiting, for drunk drivers, presumably. i got charged with reckless driving and speeding. absolutely my fault and idiotic, i'm just hoping i can get some stuff cleared because i can only just BARELY afford my insurance as it is, like if i can just agree to pay fees/a ticket and promise not to do it again. interestingly, though, what i was charged with carries the exact same penalties as driving 85 in a 65, which on the interstate, you basically have to do constantly during the day time, because people make you. so that's kind of weird.

i don't want to pretend that it's not totally my fault, or wasn't irresponsible, or that you should be going that fast. i just literally have to show up in court, it's a mandatory appearance, and if i don't get anything cleared i will literally not be able to afford to have a car/job/anything. blah.

i think i actually will drive out there again tomorrow, or call the court house or something. don't know what i'm going to do about representation yet.

RIP yeah gotta keep it below that "reckless driving" level. iirc it's 40 km/h over the limit in BC that will earn you an immediate three day impound and a four hundred dollar ticket, can't imagine the nightmare of having to deal with that. gotta take time off work to go to the impound lot and pick up your car and pay the towing and storage fees and poo poo, etc

syntaxfunction posted:

I think buying a Mesa head is always justified imo. Like really, the Katana is 90% sure, but you're forever gonna wonder just how much more you'd love a real Mesa Mark V. I didn't plant that seed, it's already there :v:

:argh: can't believe you've done this

Maybe I'll plan to get one as a christmas gift to myself, that seems like a better way to justify it to myself and others while also giving me more time to have enough money to not blow the savings account on an amp.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

If it helps the Mark V and the V:25 are tonally pretty much the same from the playing I've done with them. But the full fat one is 90W and that is hella cool.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting the V:35 since it's got a few more features than the 25 like solo output volume boosts and a proper foot switch and built-in cabclone DI. The 1x12 combo version just has a standard speaker cable from the built-in speaker to the 8 ohm output jack iirc so in the event that I needed more speakers I can just unplug the 1x12 and use the combo as a big head. The price of a 35 combo is like $2600 CAD, and a 35 head + a cab would be like $3200 CAD.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Got sick of trying to shred on my tele and smashing my fret hand into the horn when trying to hit the last few frets, so I just ordered this lil baby

Ibanez S521 in blackberry sunburst

Not expecting amazing things out of the stock pickups but should make a great platform for upgrading them down the track.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

congrats. the S is awesome.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

alright i tried everything again when i went to buy 10s just now and i’m thoroughly on team jazzmaster. even the humbuckers weren’t hitting the way the jazzmaster did. insanely great

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My little contemporary active jazzmaster is one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played and it sounds amazing, better than any LTD with actives

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

My little contemporary active jazzmaster is one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played and it sounds amazing, better than any LTD with actives

i can’t really rave about the one i played enough. it’s like the side of the tele sound i like, with none of the stuff in it i don’t. and ergonomically it was way better. fit me like a glove when i picked it up, and not even just the contours, but even like, the location of the bridge and everything. it all falls into place, it’s amazing. definitely gonna try to get one if i can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

also the dude in there recognized the modern baseball song i was playing and that ruuuuuules it made me so happy