Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not Half-Life 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh a side story that is a prequel up until the last 2 minutes when it retcons the end of ep 2 and then stops is a pretty loving loose definition of proper sequel

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

Valve never seem to get involved in canon debates because that's a thing for fans to squabble over and they'll happily retcon stuff if it gets in the way ("Canon itself is non-canon"). About the closest to an official statement on OpFor that's ever been made was some email comment from former series lead writer Marc Laidlaw many many years ago that he didn't really take the Gearbox games into account in his writing, but that he'd happily pull elements from them if he could think of an entertaining way to incorporate them. So I guess their official status is "nebulous".

Case in point: Return to Ravenholm, the cancelled spinoff/sidestory Valve contracted out to Arkane Studios back in 2006-7, was going to bring back Adrian Shephard and have him trawling through the zombies in Ravenholm.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not Half-Life 3.

Yea it kinda is, not like chronological order means anything in a story where time is nonlinear.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't even follow the same main character, it's clearly a side story. But the biggest clue it's not Half-Life 3 is in the name, as it's called Half-Life Alyx.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
That's because Valve can't...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpw2ebhTSKs

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Plenty of sequels follow a different character or even have some or most of its story set before the events of the previous entry.

A spin-off implies a story distinct and separate from the main story thread, but the game is written with the assumption you've played the other games. You may jump backwards in time but its more akin to a flashback within a larger story, even ending the game with the player flashing forward to "today" as Gordon. Very different to how the writing was handled in the "true" expansions/spinoffs Gearbox made.

Half Life Alyx is the third major Half Life release. It isn't an expansion pack, a standalone story or short form tech demo. They didn't call it Half Life 3 because there are certain expectations tied to that name and they wanted to avoid the inevitable cries from people whining that they can't play as their favourite mute protagonist.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah it’s not Half-Life 3 but good debate exercise I guess

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

John Murdoch posted:

Isn't that the one that eventually mutated into Battleborn

Jesus loving christ... it is. :cripes:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's not a spin off, it's a side story and also quite literally a tech demo lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Yea it kinda is, not like chronological order means anything in a story where time is nonlinear.

yeah but the games are all linear unless i missed HL: Alyx being developed by ubisoft

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Its over 10 hours long. Its just as much of a tech demo as any of the other Half Life games were.

Arivia posted:

yeah but the games are all linear unless i missed HL: Alyx being developed by ubisoft

You spend much of the Half Life series getting dragged forward in time by Gman.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Resident Evil: Code Veronica is the fourth game in the Resident Evil series but it is not Resident Evil 4. You can tell which game is which by looking at the name of the game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

Its over 10 hours long. Its just as much of a tech demo as any of the other Half Life games were.

It's like 5 1/2 hours

^^^ i know you know you're being disingenuous with this comparison

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Crowetron posted:

Resident Evil: Code Veronica is the fourth game in the Resident Evil series but it is not Resident Evil 4. You can tell which game is which by looking at the name of the game.

It was going to be RE3 and designed with that in mind, the change had more to do with marketing than anything else.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

It was going to be RE3 and designed with that in mind, the change had more to do with marketing than anything else.

But its not, because it is Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Resident Evil 3 is a different game with the number 3 in the title.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

It's like 5 1/2 hours

^^^ i know you know you're being disingenuous with this comparison

My playtime was 10 hours. The game doesn't really stop you from blasting through it so you can get away with a lot less, but that's the case with all of the HL games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SCheeseman posted:

Alyx was never meant to be 3.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Crowetron posted:

But its not, because it is Resident Evil: Code Veronica. Resident Evil 3 is a different game with the number 3 in the title.

Point was that it was until it wasn't and the decision to do so was mostly arbitrary and had nothing to do with the games actual content.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

You spend much of the Half Life series getting dragged forward in time by Gman.

the games are linear levels in sequence, regardless of the narrative passage of time

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

Point was that it was until it wasn't and the decision to do so was mostly arbitrary and had nothing to do with the games actual content.

Well yes but anyone with two brain cells can piece together that cv is a sequel because it takes place chronologically after re2/3 and 3 is a side story because it takes place during the same time as 2

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Alyx was never meant to be 3.

The project started out with them messing around with Half Life 2 assets in VR and grew from there. There was an attempt to avoid labelling the project "half life 3" but based on the interviews doing so was more a way of lowering the pressure rather than some kind of statement of intent.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

Well yes but anyone with two brain cells can piece together that cv is a sequel because it takes place chronologically after re2/3 and 3 is a side story because it takes place during the same time as 2

Those aspects of the story were already in place while it was still planning to be released as RE3.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The head writer at Valve posted what 3's plot was going to be. It was never 3.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SCheeseman posted:

The project started out with them messing around with Half Life 2 assets in VR and grew from there.

:ughh: like...a tech demo?

Okay I'm tapping out now

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Laidlaw's story drafts aren't canon, especially now. What it was going to be is irrelevant, particularly now that Alyx has completely changed it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

site posted:

Okay I'm tapping out now

Games often start out by kitbashing things together. Please.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just beat the Gonarch in Black Mesa. Jesus I thought it would never end. The pacing in Xen is so wonky. Longjumping is fun though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

site posted:

Okay I'm tapping out now

I mean I think the whole argument is dumb because it doesn't really matter either way but no, just because a game started out as people tinkering with tech doesn't mean the final product is a tech demo.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Quake 2 is the first Quake game because Quake was a tech demo, while Quake 2 had an actual plot. The second Quake game was Quake 4.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Crowetron posted:

Code Veronica is actually the fifth game.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Epistle 3 was EPISODE 3, not Half Life 3

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 13, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

sethsez posted:

I mean I think the whole argument is dumb because it doesn't really matter either way but no, just because a game started out as people tinkering with tech doesn't mean the final product is a tech demo.

I would say that the fact that it was designed as and pushed at release as a minigame to show off the index and its individual hand/finger tracking capabilities makes it one

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Are there really people who think Alyx is Half-Life 3

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah hi

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They named the third Half-Life the Alyx one

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TheScott2K posted:

Are there really people who think Alyx is Half-Life 3
Valve can't count to 3 so it's not like there's going to be a real HL3

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Pretty gross that you guys see a female protagonist and are instantly like "that's not Half Life 3"

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty gross that you guys see a female protagonist and are instantly like "that's not Half Life 3"

I know you're mostly saying it in jest but I do get that impression from some spaces on the internet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

I know you're mostly saying it in jest but I do get that impression from some spaces on the internet.

You can find literally any lovely opinion somewhere on the internet.

It's very obviously a side thing and not Half-Life 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The United States posted:

Epistle 3 was EPISODE 3, not Half Life 3

I was under the impression the whole episode thing was dead and it was just gonna be 3 but you're right.

Man this and the Black Mesa posts are making me wanna replay the OG.