Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

wtf no gain? did you SEE that pic of the reindeer with the light-up antlers??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

harumph harumph harumph

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

well that pic was an unrelated 3d render, but here's how they actually look like, basically like a person with hivis stripes on their clothes

https://twitter.com/shoomlah/status/1414325496112828417?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
reflective paint you are monitor

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

endlessmonotony posted:

It doesn't make sense as a project.

It's way too much effort for practically no gain, reindeer areas are full of wildlife, the reindeer are barely ever the problem.

Also that image is practically unrelated.

yes i’m talking about the actual images which afaict are from reindeer herders. this isn’t an effort to save the wildlife as much as it is their reindeer herds. as of a few years ago more than 4000 reindeer a year were involved in traffic accidents there

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mediaphage posted:

yes i’m talking about the actual images which afaict are from reindeer herders. this isn’t an effort to save the wildlife as much as it is their reindeer herds. as of a few years ago more than 4000 reindeer a year were involved in traffic accidents there
i didn't know there was actual herding of reindeer. if so i imagine there's an insurance issue intervening to make the project more sensible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

i didn't know there was actual herding of reindeer. if so i imagine there's an insurance issue intervening to make the project more sensible

oh yeah, an absolutely ancient occupation that is still kicking around. should be noted that it is a very hands-off herding for much of the year, so the traffic aspects are a pretty serious matter.

endlessmonotony is kind of correct that if you could paint animals you'd go for e.g. moose long before reindeer, since they cause much more serious accidents. simple fact is though that it is real easy to paint the reindeer when you are handling them anyway.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh yeah, an absolutely ancient occupation that is still kicking around. should be noted that it is a very hands-off herding for much of the year, so the traffic aspects are a pretty serious matter.

endlessmonotony is kind of correct that if you could paint animals you'd go for e.g. moose long before reindeer, since they cause much more serious accidents. simple fact is though that it is real easy to paint the reindeer when you are handling them anyway.
yeah makes sense to me

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

good luck finding people willing to paint moose

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the only way you're painting a moose is if the moose wants to be painted

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I've been re-reading Autonomous and it just hit me

The thing that makes this kinda fantasy is how organized and secure revolutionary movements are displayed as

Like the whole "her words would have been filtered by several hops to remote servers and a good wrapping of crypto" and it's like,,, people do not do that because the usability of those branches of software is not there, right now we can barely get people to use Signal rather than Discord -- even then Signal absolutely loving sucks on multiple levels including the privacy components.

So it turns out the real fantasy in cyberpunk dystopias was actually the software they use, all along.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

the only way you're painting a moose is if the moose wants to be painted

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
paint me like one of your french mooses

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

haveblue posted:

paint me like one of your french mooses milkie

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
meese*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Do Finnish metal heads Paint it Balck

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9JrDMBg2HE

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Anyone want a new AV?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Anyone want a new AV?

islands in the net
that is what we are
posting to upset
cause we’re never wrong
surf away with me
gently caress the irl world
and we shitpost on each other, ah ha
cause we love to be a bother, ah ha

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Is that Johnny?

Cybourne Clock

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Good news is you've got this one choom who's already dead, and he'd be honored to join you on a wild, suicide run

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/togenkyoo/status/1413742448036126722

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

islands in the net
that is what we are
posting to upset
cause we’re never wrong
surf away with me
gently caress the irl world
and we shitpost on each other, ah ha
cause we love to be a bother, ah ha

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/neurovagrant/status/1414654822687514641

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Intel OutsideTM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no idea wearables had gotten so powerful

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

haveblue posted:

no idea wearables had gotten so powerful

slow down

it's only intel

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

speaking of biden cyberpunk news it looks like they're granting farmers right to repair on their john deere tractors

are they? do you have any source for this because all i can find on the executive order is that they’re recommending some government agencies look at it. i don’t know that anything is actually done but id like to be wrong

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

are they? do you have any source for this because all i can find on the executive order is that they’re recommending some government agencies look at it. i don’t know that anything is actually done but id like to be wrong

according to the summary on the wh site the order directs the agencies to implement these changes, not just look at them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

and an eo is a good reason for the library of congress to authorize a dmca exception during the next review

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

according to the summary on the wh site the order directs the agencies to implement these changes, not just look at them.

yeah idk about this. i just read the text of the executive order and the first section reaffirms that the administration thinks agencies should follow existing laws about this stuff. next section sets up a council to discuss this stuff in the white house and make further recommendations. then it orders the department of defense to write a report about how they’re going to ensure their equipment is repairable

im not any sort of scholar here but that’s what it looks like to me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

yeah idk about this. i just read the text of the executive order and the first section reaffirms that the administration thinks agencies should follow existing laws about this stuff. next section sets up a council to discuss this stuff in the white house and make further recommendations. then it orders the department of defense to write a report about how they’re going to ensure their equipment is repairable

im not any sort of scholar here but that’s what it looks like to me

the section on the council is noteworthy though. first, the council is comprised of the cabinet, and not just random appointees. secondly, the order explicitly sets forth the councils agenda as responsible for implementing the policies mentioned elsewhere and to create and pursue the necessary legislation where it doesn’t already exist. aside from the fact that this sort of order sets precedent for executive departments, i think it’s going to have an impact.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

a bunch of xda posters and verge commenters are going to be extremely mad when apple does the bare minimum to comply with whatever legislation comes out of this and isn't instantly wiped out of business forever

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

customs guy: wtf is this
smuggler: uhhh...my body is augmented

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/zarawesome/status/1414939496819347459

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i appreciate that he made the effort to smuggle 2^8 instead of a less auspicious number. you don't see that sort of attention to detail much anymore.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

select hosiery works

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sagebrush posted:

i appreciate that he made the effort to smuggle 2^8 instead of a less auspicious number. you don't see that sort of attention to detail much anymore.

Isn't that four to the fourth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Isn't that four to the fourth?

technically it's 16^2.