Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
The reality is that the GUI is fine for most use cases though. Personally I use the IntelliJ git integration 99% of the time and only use the CLI if something breaks horribly. I would not say that people who just ask for help in those 1% of cases are not real git users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

no true git user

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

A gui is supposed to present the options available to the user in a visual manner so they don't have to remember commands. The GIT guis do this successfully. The problem is that if you don't understand what those options do or why you would use them, you won't be able to successfully use GIT - the GUIs present the options just fine, but the GUI doesn't turn a non-git user into a git user.

I've never bothered learning CLI Git and have lived on Github for Desktop forever. I have a pretty OK-ish understanding of exactly what's happening, but I've definitely let the app abstract away a lot of poo poo that I don't want to think about.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
git diff --name only
git pull --prune
git add -A /path/to/dir
git add /path/to/files
git add -F /path/to/ignored/file
git commit
git rebase -i HEAD~${number}
git rebase --continue

That’s 99% of the commands anybody needs for CLI git.

Edit:
alias gpp=“git pull --prune ${@}” is insanely useful

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 5, 2021

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

A gui is supposed to present the options available to the user in a visual manner so they don't have to remember commands. The GIT guis do this successfully. The problem is that if you don't understand what those options do or why you would use them, you won't be able to successfully use GIT - the GUIs present the options just fine, but the GUI doesn't turn a non-git user into a git user.

The git CLI doesn't really "turn a non-git user into a git user" either, assuming that what you mean here by "a git user" is someone who understands how the commit graph works and what's happening to it as they perform operations in the system.

Git's command line interface is obtuse, inconsistent, and has a lot of features that exist only because they made Linus Torvalds' specific workflow a bit easier. It is a godawful tool for teaching people how git actually works. In some ways, GUI tools are more helpful than the CLI here, because they give the user a realtime visualization of the commit graph and what's happening in it. But, I haven't actually found any git tools that emphasize what's going on internally over quick shortcuts.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
IntelliJ git gui is pretty good. VSCode git gui is dogshit.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Any Git GUI that doesn't let you unstage individual hunks from files is basically worthless

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

Any Git GUI that doesn't let you unstage individual hunks from files is basically worthless

Can't make that statement without dropping at least 1 name.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I use GitX for that particular task on a daily basis. It’s ancient and semi supported but open source.

https://rowanj.github.io/gitx/

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Vulture Culture posted:

Is your thesis that the point of a GUI is so people don't have to understand what they're doing?

The GUIs I like are good at hiding the underlying models, and let you just work. You can do this when you don’t need to know how things work under the hood. Git isn’t one of them.

Like, I don’t know a lot of file formats, but I’m fine using word processors. I’ve never had to debug a malformed RTF file.

But with Git you do need to know the underlying model, because problems come up very regularly. It’s weirdly easy to end up with a detached head. The only Git GUIs I’ve liked are the ones that were a thin layer over the basic commands.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Yes, git is dogshit. Too bad everything else is worse.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
There are a lot of things in software development where there are no true shortcuts, you just need to learn it. Often people will create solutions that promise to save you from having to learn the thing, but generally they just end up leaving you high and dry when something doesn't go according to plan or when you need to do something a little off the main path. It's usually faster in the long run to just learn the scary thing than to try to take the shortcuts. I say this as someone who absolutely loves to cut corners.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

My ideal tool is one that teaches you how to use it - e.g. the menu system that shows you the keyboard shortcuts, or the GUI wrapper that displays the command lines it is executing. This lack of discoverability is why I am never totally sold on emacs as i get sick of typing meta-x-apropos-what-the-hell-does-emacs-call-this-behavior.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Gildiss posted:

Git Extensions handles this pretty well most of the time, although once every hundred times or so I find it unable to stage/unstage chunks of a file for reasons unknown to me - I don't remember the error message when it happens, just that it's not super helpful.

Still a much better experience than the CLI for me, which I *can* use as long as I keep a reference open by the side. Given time I'm sure I could become fluent in doing things that way, but I see no need to.

Also my colleagues use Sourcetree and they all get confused by any other Git interface, and one of them is so scared of getting things wrong that she sometimes just won't do work that requires anything more complex than "create branch, do work, create and merge PR".

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gildiss posted:

Visual Studio 2019 cant handle hunks.
Its incredibly barebones in what it does. I still use it though cos I'm lazy and its there and still works for 90% of the git stuff I do.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Paolomania posted:

My ideal tool is one that teaches you how to use it - e.g. the menu system that shows you the keyboard shortcuts, or the GUI wrapper that displays the command lines it is executing. This lack of discoverability is why I am never totally sold on emacs as i get sick of typing meta-x-apropos-what-the-hell-does-emacs-call-this-behavior.

I’ve always used this to teach people:

https://learngitbranching.js.org

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mega Comrade posted:

Its incredibly barebones in what it does. I still use it though cos I'm lazy and its there and still works for 90% of the git stuff I do.

I remember using this at my old job which was a C# shop. It was super nice to be able to manage tickets in the VSTS UI too. Well, until they migrated us to Azure DevOps and broke that somehow.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I remember using this at my old job which was a C# shop. It was super nice to be able to manage tickets in the VSTS UI too. Well, until they migrated us to Azure DevOps and broke that somehow.

Microsoft deprecated work item management in Visual Studio starting in VS 2019. There may still be an option to turn it back on buried somewhere in the settings.

It didn't make sense for them to maintain two separate rendering engines (one for web, one for client) when they were transitioning to a platform-agnostic model.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Paolomania posted:

This is also why Key Promoter X is my favourite jetbrains IDE plugin

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I'm a pretty huge fan of git CLI because I've put the time into it, but even with that I still use graphical tools a ton for stuff like merges (why would you ever not use a 4-pane diff tool) and selective adding/resetting. I'd always recommend learning how git works under the hood and at least understanding the basic parts of it just so you don't have to do the "welp I hosed up my local repo and have no idea how to unfuck it time to nuke and pave" all the time but honestly I can definitely see the case for using a GUI primarily.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
GitKraken is fantastic and I've been able to convince my company to shell out for licenses after co-workers saw me using it while pairing, top notch visualization and great support for almost all git workflows that one would need on a regular basis.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Fano posted:

GitKraken is fantastic and I've been able to convince my company to shell out for licenses after co-workers saw me using it while pairing, top notch visualization and great support for almost all git workflows that one would need on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure I already shilled GitKraken at the start of this discussion but gently caress it, I'll do it one more time. I agree, its visualization tools are great.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I'm pretty sure I already shilled GitKraken at the start of this discussion but gently caress it, I'll do it one more time. I agree, its visualization tools are great.

:yeah:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mega Comrade posted:

Sounds like you need to switch IDEs?

:wink:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Sadly Rider can't handle the bizarre custom asp elements our project is full to the brim with, so I don't have much of a choice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a few git activities I have to do from the command line, but I find it really easy to do everything else in Git Extensions. I find it much more intuitive to pick my rebase squash targets and cherry pick in particular. I had to do that quite a bit last night, but I also particularly like how easy it is to compare branches and cherry-pick individual changes.

What gets to me is goofy side-effects from merge conflicts. I had a cherry-pick seem to go really well but it outright didn't even bother to take any of the changes from one of the files, and I don't think it came up in meld. I don't think this is a Git Extensions thing since it's just running the underlying git command too. So when I deal with merge conflicts, I have to compare and see if there are any little surprises running amok.

Vulture Culture posted:

Yeah I agree about this too, and not being able to cherry-pick specific items from another branch would still make such a tool "mostly worthless."

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009
The Selenium Chrome Extension rules and is great for collaborating winning arguments about repro steps with QA

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
There is nothing more dangerous to a PR than a last minute minor bug fix.

Every loving time.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
It's me, I'm the one shelling out actual money on a subscription to Tower: https://www.git-tower.com

It's probably my third-most used piece of software after my browser and VS Code. Piecemeal staging, a great timeline visualizer, interactive rebasing...three years in and I don't regret subscribing at all.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
My team/org's seen significant attrition since spring and leadership has failed to take a proactive approach to address the root cause, mostly just reacting to each wave of departures with measures that might have helped were they instituted two months prior. I'd like to stay where I'm at through the end of the year, but am finding myself wildly overloaded with ongoing projects handed off from departures.

We're pulling in folks from other engineering teams which have not yet seen a similar drain, but there's still an expectation that our team take the lead on planning/designing the projects we're handing off implementation for. I, between my actual feature work, periodic on-call shifts, and then trying to hold up my team's side of the inter-team planning for three of these away team projects, am completely unable to devote my time to more than one of the above at a time to the extent needed to not come off sounding either lazy at best or outright incompetent at worst.

Have spoken to my manager and he's indicated that they hope the away teams can be made to lead the projects we've handed them as much as possible, but the senior engineers leading some of the cross-team technical coordination are not on the same page (somewhat understandably, as the ramp up time for these away teams to operate independently will be substantial even without the planning work and we'll be maintaining what they come up with). It doesn't help that the seniors seem to have either an incredible depth of understanding of a broad swathe of the application or somehow have the time/energy to fully research things ahead of time, amping up my impostor syndrome.

Other than joining the exodus myself (I should probably join the exodus mysef), I'm unsure how to best address it. I'm not willing to work more than 40-hours a week (not that I could, I'm already exhausted enough as it is), but there just fundamentally isn't the time in the day to handle anything. Others on my team are in a similar position, so something's got to give at some point and I've got to figure out how to chart that without going crazy.

[/rant]

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

IAmKale posted:

It's me, I'm the one shelling out actual money on a subscription to Tower: https://www.git-tower.com

It's probably my third-most used piece of software after my browser and VS Code. Piecemeal staging, a great timeline visualizer, interactive rebasing...three years in and I don't regret subscribing at all.

I'd get this if there was a buy-it-once option. I can't stand yearly subscriptions to software.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Armauk posted:

I'd get this if there was a buy-it-once option. I can't stand yearly subscriptions to software.

Yep - I was really interested in this until I got to licensing and payment. Charge me whatever you want, but I'm not doing anything but a perpetual license. Affinity has gotten a lot of my money because Adobe just really doesn't want my money.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Always two, there are:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CPColin posted:

Always two, there are:

You have no idea how relevant this is to my job right now.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Titles are meaningless", except having "Senior" in your title universally means you're the one going "I loving told you so" to the PM's every time.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CPColin posted:

"Titles are meaningless", except having "Senior" in your title universally means you're the one going "I loving told you so" to the PM's every time.
But is this part of the job, or just selection bias?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yes

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CPColin posted:

For a while in my career I was a "Principal Research Analyst". I never knew what that meant. I just wrote code. :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In my case it's not even the PM who wrote the tickets, it's the team lead who apparently has relatively little experience scoping and planning a project. Or at least, fuckin writing tickets for them, cause the entire team is hosed off at how badly it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

In my case it's not even the PM who wrote the tickets, it's the team lead who apparently has relatively little experience scoping and planning a project. Or at least, fuckin writing tickets for them, cause the entire team is hosed off at how badly it's gone.

I have some colleagues complaining about the exact same thing only it isn't a TL writing tasks it's just a dude in the team who kind of declared themselves the de-facto "scrum master" or something and now just seems to spend all their time justifying their job with worthless garbage!

Glad I'm not in that team, also :rip: my colleagues.