Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I was trying to figure out what Gael's deal was and I watched Vaati's video on him and he thought the painter calling him uncle gael was literal, definitely had some interesting connections but just, come on. Has he never heard of kids calling people uncle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
One of his classic ones is him examining the cut plaque inscription for the Majula monument that then somehow leaked through a non-English translation that says something like "and then the giants returned home" and his first thought is "were the giants originally from Drangleic???"

My breaking point was him going off about some "rogue translator" who hosed up the Sacred Lore with their lovely translation jobs. Out of the examples he goes into, one of them legit seems to have been mangled and then the rest boil down to "they didn't translate literally from the original Nihon, the absolute buffoons!!!!" Like he got really hung up on "giant's resonance" being translated as "giant's kinship" which seems like a perfectly sensible word choice.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

John Murdoch posted:

I binged Vaati's videos not that long ago and they're not universally awful or anything, but he's definitely prone to going way off-base and just making poo poo up. Usually by failing at reading comprehension.

is there anyone better than vaati? compared to some of the other youtube lorelords i've seen vaati seems almost restrained and conservative in what he'll argue, sometimes to the point of banality compared to the corkboard conspiracy theorists i've seen

that's not to say he doesn't have issues at all but a lot of others can't clear the modest bar he's set, i'd definitely be interested in alternatives

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Unironically Saint Riot, who also doesn't try and dress up his videos sounding like a theatre kid trying to tell a spooky story

He's only done lore playthroughs for DS1, Bloodbone and Sekiro though, don't know if he'll ever do a DS2 series

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Vaati has that kind of podcaster voice that is really nice to have running in the background and not really pay attention to.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I definitely noticed some of the more grognardy moments mentioned above, especially the need to spook it up and the weirdness about translation, but imo that doesn't really detract from the entertainment of his other videos that do seem to legitimately help piece together a lot of the very murky and indirect connections between things. At the very least, they're suggestive that the depth is there and there are things worth thinking about. God knows that I interpreted very little the first times I tried to play DS1, haha. Which I am still a few dungeons away from finishing so I can hop into DS2 and see what I think...

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Tosk posted:

In discussion of the series, I see a lot of people poo poo on Dark Souls 2. What do you guys think of the current state of Scholar of the First Sin in relation to the rest of the series?

Im in the middle of my first SotFS playthrough but ive beaten all souls games multiple times. DS2 has a great atmosphere but a kind of bonkers story. Everything looks drab and the combat feels and sounds terrible in spite of the superior weapon variety and the coolness of powerstancing. It's also incredibly cheap difficulty wise. Lots of blatant gently caress you enemy placements. It's like a souls imitator in that respect. That said it's still addictive and worth playing. It just doesn't hold a candle to 1 or 3.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

in a just universe dark souls 2 would look like a noble but failed attempt to mimic the magic, but when from's competition is poo poo like lords of the fallen...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd really, really have liked to have played DS2 with another year in the oven. I think alot of my issues with its combat design would still be there for the most part but a presentation of the world and story without the obvious scars and stiches from having to chuck something together for launch would probably still have been a pretty good experience

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dark Souls 2 is easily the best game in the trilogy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

tweet my meat posted:

this

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I mean it beats Lords of the Fallen and The Surge by so much it isn't even close

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

:emptyquote:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

tweet my meat posted:

Hell, it's empirically provable.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
Dumb take but I’ve always gotten strong Zelda vibes from DS2. The atmosphere and world design are weirdly warm and inviting, and it just feels like a proper grand adventure in a way the other Souls games don’t. The combat is fantastic too - it expands on DS1 combat in smart ways, the pace is more deliberate and methodical than everything post-BB, and the build variety is wild. I think the lore’s interesting in its own right too but ymmv there.

Verdict: DS2 is just as good and cool as all the other Soulsborne games, but for slightly different reasons. Also Majula is objectively the best hub

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I started a new run with petrified something as gift and restarted 12 times rushing it until I got Old Whip to drop. Gonna do some Indiana Jones poo poo (I want two of them). And yes, get a backup weapon for armored enemies because that poo poo will break fast that way.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
When you consider the themes of the game and the NPC storylines you might argue that DS2 is the original strand-type game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm at a point where I basically finished the game already once, but then realized that there was absolutely no payoff with Aldia dropping in from my bonfires, so I checked it out and figured I have to go giant soul collecting. Unluckily, I had consumed the one I got from Black gulch because I didn't know it was important, and one is at Ancient dragon ... so I tried fighting Vendrick with 3 souls. It was slow, as expected, but he hits like a truck, not quite 1-shot but one hit sends me reeling so that it basically ends the fight. And I assume there's no summons for this one either?

e: Best I've got him was about 30% off his HP until my concentration breaks and I take a big hit.

So I dunno, I have been at it for 50 hours pretty intensively over the last few weeks and there's still the DLC's to tackle. Although I am thinking I'll take a break and maybe return a bit later.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 15, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Dumb take but I’ve always gotten strong Zelda vibes from DS2. The atmosphere and world design are weirdly warm and inviting, and it just feels like a proper grand adventure in a way the other Souls games don’t. The combat is fantastic too - it expands on DS1 combat in smart ways, the pace is more deliberate and methodical than everything post-BB, and the build variety is wild. I think the lore’s interesting in its own right too but ymmv there.

Verdict: DS2 is just as good and cool as all the other Soulsborne games, but for slightly different reasons. Also Majula is objectively the best hub

in the prerelease hype for ds2, peter serafinowicz described it as "zelda in hell," and that's what I've used ever since when describing the series to normal people

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

TeaJay posted:

I'm at a point where I basically finished the game already once, but then realized that there was absolutely no payoff with Aldia dropping in from my bonfires, so I checked it out and figured I have to go giant soul collecting. Unluckily, I had consumed the one I got from Black gulch because I didn't know it was important, and one is at Ancient dragon ... so I tried fighting Vendrick with 3 souls. It was slow, as expected, but he hits like a truck, not quite 1-shot but one hit sends me reeling so that it basically ends the fight. And I assume there's no summons for this one either?

e: Best I've got him was about 30% off his HP until my concentration breaks and I take a big hit.

So I dunno, I have been at it for 50 hours pretty intensively over the last few weeks and there's still the DLC's to tackle. Although I am thinking I'll take a break and maybe return a bit later.

The Ancient Dragon in Scholar isn't completely miserable, just uninteresting. Go do the DLC or something to get nice and swole and come back to kill it faster. 4 Giant Souls feels a lot better to fight Vendrick with than 3.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Ancient Dragon is absolutely miserable, that runback is a nightmare either way you do it and the nature of the fight means you will probably die a lot before you pick up how it works. Pack a 100% fire resist shield if you try it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Honestly the payoff for doing the full Aldia stuff just isn't worth it, particularly if you've already messed it up and are looking at the Ancient Dragon to help course correct. All you get is a crappy tacked-on boss fight and the alternate ending can be experienced via Youtube. (Well okay you also miss out on Vendrick's gear/his soul, and that stuff can be pretty cool.)

That said, if you've got any Bright Bugs available, using one for Vendrick isn't the worst idea in the world (though they're very much not a replacement for a Giant Soul).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 16, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Ancient dragon is extremely easy if you stay between the toes on one foot, hit, run to the same place on the other foot, run back to the first foot. It gets stuck in a loop where all it does is lift its feet at you.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wait... there's an alternate ending?

axolotl farmer posted:

Ancient dragon is extremely easy if you stay between the toes on one foot, hit, run to the same place on the other foot, run back to the first foot. It gets stuck in a loop where all it does is lift its feet at you.

Yeah, dragons are like the easiest bosses in DS2, all you have to do is run between their legs to get behind them and hack away at their ankles till they die.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

raditts posted:

Wait... there's an alternate ending?

If you get all four crowns and beat Aldia, you get the option to walk away from the throne.

raditts posted:

Yeah, dragons are like the easiest bosses in DS2, all you have to do is run between their legs to get behind them and hack away at their ankles till they die.

Ancient Dragon =/= Guardian Dragon

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Ancient Dragon =/= Guardian Dragon

I mean…that still pretty much is the strat for Ancient Dragon, you’re just gonna die a lot until you figure out how to manipulate his lovely moveset because he does stupid high damage

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sinh sucks balls. Unfun boss.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Sinh is one of the best bosses in the entire series.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Sinh can eat my shorts. Unfun chasing around a massive arena, have to carry repair powder or a second weapon, randomly generating moveset that moves her across the arena and the classic dragon hit boxes.

Sinh blows. Sinh sucks so bad they decided to reskin the fight in DS3

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

Sinh can eat my shorts. Unfun chasing around a massive arena, have to carry repair powder or a second weapon, randomly generating moveset that moves her across the arena and the classic dragon hit boxes.

Sinh blows. Sinh sucks so bad they decided to reskin the fight in DS3

???

Midir is almost nothing like Sinh, if anything Sinh plays like a more engaging version of Kalameet but they're all fairly distinct fights given they're all the same type of creature

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I like the chasing, personally. It feels like a desperate race to beat him down before your equipment breaks, or you do. It also helps *~my immersion~* because sometimes when I'm fighting, like, the Hellkite or Guardian dragons or whatever, I'm like "aw it's nice of you to stay in one spot while I hack at your ankles for a while". Midir was my favorite dragon fight in the series, followed by Kalameet and Sinh. Badasses, all of them, and it felt great to take them down.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

axolotl farmer posted:

Sinh is one of the best bosses in the entire series.

Let's not get too crazy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sinh is the dragon that's right after the Squalid Queen, right? I beat that one on my first try doing what I said in my post above, it was literally the same strategy as the guardian dragon. I didn't know that one was supposed to be hard, I figured it was just like some kind of cooldown battle after that loving queen and her giant armored rear end in a top hat henchman. Maybe I died so many times on the queen that the game took pity on me, I dunno.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 16, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Sinh is mostly pretty tedious. Good looking fight by DS2 standards but Kalameet is still much better. Other dragons need not apply because they all suck

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kalameet isnt particularly better. All the dragon fights in this series feel roughly the same, except ancient dragon whose unique property is being loving terrible

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I thought I'd try to get some more sunlight medals to get more goodies out of sunbros. What are popular summon hotspots to help my fellow man?

Or can I get summoned anymore on lower level areas since my soul memory is over 3 million?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can probably throw your sign down at any major boss, Im replaying this right now and saw multiple summon signs outside of Lost Sinner as of yesterday

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

TeaJay posted:

I thought I'd try to get some more sunlight medals to get more goodies out of sunbros. What are popular summon hotspots to help my fellow man?

Or can I get summoned anymore on lower level areas since my soul memory is over 3 million?

Fume Knight's pretty popular as well, and people still need to grind for Loyce Souls so Burnt Ivory King is up there too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Oh, I'm not that far myself yet, just only dipped my toes in the first DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

TeaJay posted:

Oh, I'm not that far myself yet, just only dipped my toes in the first DLC.

You should be able to sunbro outside the final boss of DLC 1 if you hate fun.