Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

devilmonk posted:

I’m not necessarily “impressed” by this, but what do you make of the difference between Conor’s reaction to the break as opposed to Silva and Weidman? Those guys were clearly in a different kind of pain, right? And they certainly couldn’t have done an interview with Joe in the cage. Conor was probably in shock I guess, and reverted to a primal rage/crazy person.

I mean he was saying he is going to murder him and his wife in there sleep doing a gun gesture to the head. That is pretty low even for conors standards. If any other fighter is doing that post fight I don't see dana keeping them around. I think you can get a pass trying to hype to fight since many fighters have said they are going to kill them in the ring but he took it too a whole other level especially since the fight was already over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

This guy really belabors the point, but not much hard contact on the very last teep Conor threw:

Another theory has it as the round kick at 13s:

Bas Rutten posted an anecdote about fracturing someone's shin early in a round and it fully breaking later in the round, seems to support Dustin's claim that the fracture happened early in the 1st

Bas Rutten posted:

OK, so they asked me what I thought about the fight between Conor and Dustin and if a “check” caused the whole problem.
Poirier said that he checked a kick, and that he felt that something happened, that he even was pointing at McGregor to let him know he hurt himself.
Well, these pics are from the beginning of the fight, the second pic shows Poirier pointing at Conor's leg, like: "You hurt yourself".
Conor kicks, Dustin lifts his leg a little bit, just enough for Conor to connect to the side of his knee (in stat of the meaty part just above the knee), which, if you feel yourself on the outside of you knee, there is a thick bone.
Now, on the pic where he kicks you can see his calf muscle hanging down, meaning, it was relaxed, this means, he didn’t flex his leg when he kicked, that means the ankle is completely relaxed and with that power, (because he was kicking hard), a relaxed ankle hitting a thick bone? That could have started the whole thing, it probably got fractured there, then some more kicks, and the fracture gets a little bigger every time.
And at a certain time, the ankle goes: “screw it, I am out”.
Now, NOTHING else happened to the ankle during this fight, so I believe this could have been the only reason, then again, I am not a doctor. I just speak from an experience I had, this one….
One time I was fighting in Japan and the day before the fight I saw a video of a fight where a guy was sitting in half guard, grabbing his opponent’s ankle, fell back and applied an inverted heel hook.
I am looking at Jon Bluming who was with me (the highest Black belt degree holder, 10th degree, in Kyokushin Karate next to Mas Oyama, the founder), and I told him, (since I had not a lot of grappling experience yet), “That’s a cool move, I should remember this”.
Next day I am in the fight and what do you know? I am in that position, so I figured to try it out?
Now because I never did it before, I had no clue what amount of pressure I was putting on this fighters’ knee, I fell back, heard a pop, let go immediately.
The ref heard the pop as well, but the fighter gets up, feels his knee (because 90% of the time it’s the knee that pops), tells the ref: “I am OK”? The ref and myself are looking like “What the heck? We heard it pop”?
Well, what we didn’t know was that it was his shinbone that we heard crack, it was cracked now, but not completely broken yet
So the ref restarts the fight, my opponent moves around, he kicks me, I let him miss, I give him hard inside low kick, he counters with left inside low kick (the same leg I put the inverted heel hook on), I just take the kick, well, this is where his shin completely breaks, after the kick he puts his foot down and you see the lower leg bend outside. Not a fun thing to watch.
What I am saying is that, after we heard the crack, he was moving around, I kicked him and he kicked me back and at that moment it broke.
So this could have been easily the same deal, again, when you don’t flex your leg when kicking and you hit a hard/solid object with a relaxed muscle, (ankle in this case), this can very easily happen.
It’s like hitting somebody while not squeezing your hand into a fist, when you hit a skull with a relaxed hand, you can easily break your hand.
Those are my two cents, and, since I didn’t see anything else happen to the ankle, I assume it was this what started the whole ordeal. But I have been wrong many times before….
If you want to see the fight with the shinbone that broke, here goes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szdKB9RA8mU

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Good post. Ain’t watching that vid though lol.

Even though I watch a lot of fights, I have somehow managed to miss 100% of these gnarly breaks in The UFC. I was bummed that I couldn’t see the fight live, but all’s well that ends well I suppose.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

Watching that you would ask yourself the question, 'Is Conor really that dumb that he thinks a screen shot of a DM notification without actually showing the message is going to convince anyone that Jolie was up to some shady poo poo? '

and then you read the comments to that tweet and you realize that you are in fact the dumb one for even questioning it

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Goddam that vid Bas posted was wild just from an early MMA days perspective. No gloves but shoes/socks, dude going for a spinning kneebar :aaa:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'll always be disappointed that Conor knocked Aldo out cold with the first punch instead of it being an actual nitty gritty fight. Aldo was a monster, and in another universe, that fight's a barnburner that Aldo could have definitely won.

If Conor's weakness is getting kicked in the leg then Aldo would have turned him inside out based on the interviews with the guys Aldo kicked talking about how they still need the fluid drained from the knee every now and then even years later.

butros posted:

Goddam that vid Bas posted was wild just from an early MMA days perspective. No gloves but shoes/socks, dude going for a spinning kneebar :aaa:

Yeah! Pancrase rules had no closed fists or elbows to the head whether standing or grounded, but open palm strikes were fine and kicks to the head if they were standing was ok too.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

kimbo305 posted:

This guy really belabors the point, but not much hard contact on the very last teep Conor threw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK7xB0XDbmw&t=24s

I don't mean to rag on you here, I think the debate is interesting and I'm fully prepared to accept that the damage happened earlier in the fight. That said, I'm not a fan of the video you posted.

The elbow check may very well not have been a factor in the leg break and it's not important to me if it was or wasn't, but that video is... not good at proving what it says it proves. He claims there was no check because the foot goes past the elbow, when that's exactly how the technique is supposed to be executed. "It's obvious that the kick comes inside the elbow", yeah no poo poo? You are supposed to strike the ankle/shin from the outside as your turn your body. Sure, you're supposed to do it before it connects with your stomach, but that doesn't mean Dustin didn't do it. It seems this guy thinks you're supposed to spike the foot with the tip of your elbow or something? And since Dustin doesn't do that, he never performed the actual technique? And then he starts talking about Dustin's left elbow which is completely irrelevant?

The Bas video is interesting and of course Dustin himself thinks it happened earlier in the fight, so that may indeed well be the case. But the guy you linked to seems to not understand what Dustin's actually doing.

Again, this is not meant as an attack on you, just a critique of the video.

E: Here's Gabriel Varga, explaining that he thinks it happened on the second low kick Conor threw, about 20 seconds into the fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn44b99XZV0, so I guess the elbow check theory is losing a bit of steam.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 12, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Freudian slippers posted:

I don't mean to rag on you here, I think the debate is interesting and I'm fully prepared to accept that the damage happened earlier in the fight. That said, I'm not a fan of the video you posted.

The elbow check may very well not have been a factor in the leg break and it's not important to me if it was or wasn't, but that video is... not good at proving what it says it proves. He claims there was no check because the foot goes past the elbow, when that's exactly how the technique is supposed to be executed. "It's obvious that the kick comes inside the elbow", yeah no poo poo? Sure, you're supposed to do it before it connects with your stomach, but that doesn't mean Dustin didn't do it.
I think the guy's unspoken argument is that if Dustin's left elbow were to have made meaningful contact, it would be a lot closer in that still picture and in the few frames he isolated.
By the time Conor's foot contacts and starts retracting, there'd be so little speed left that Dustin wouldn't really be able to do that kind of damage in the remaining couple of inches he had left to reach down. So:
- no video evidence of contact
- video shows pretty slow approach of the right forearm such that it wouldn't be a factor if it did make contact

And yeah, I dunno who cared about the left elbow, but he just wanted to make it abundantly clear that that was not a factor.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I love that Dustin pulled an extreme Power Move by telling the crowd to kiss his whole rear end in a top hat and then ended the interview getting cheered.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

kimbo305 posted:

I think the guy's unspoken argument is that if Dustin's left elbow were to have made meaningful contact, it would be a lot closer in that still picture and in the few frames he isolated.
By the time Conor's foot contacts and starts retracting, there'd be so little speed left that Dustin wouldn't really be able to do that kind of damage in the remaining couple of inches he had left to reach down. So:
- no video evidence of contact
- video shows pretty slow approach of the right forearm such that it wouldn't be a factor if it did make contact

And yeah, I dunno who cared about the left elbow, but he just wanted to make it abundantly clear that that was not a factor.

I believe the right elbow does make contact. However, seeing as it turned out the damage was to the front of Conor's shin and the elbow connects with the side, it seems pretty safe to say the elbow didn't cause the break regardless. The important part is that we all can rejoice in Conor getting hosed up.

nordichammer posted:

I love that Dustin pulled an extreme Power Move by telling the crowd to kiss his whole rear end in a top hat and then ended the interview getting cheered.

That was a complete boss move.

E: Conor should start cutting his coke with calcium. It's good for the bones and for his wallet.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 12, 2021

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
If I recall correctly leg kicks were a big thing Conor used in the second Diaz fight to neutralize Nate so a potential trilogy fight where he's too gunshy to throw leg kicks could end up quite a bit differently it seems.

He was also on crutches after that fight because of all the leg kicks he threw I think. So either his legs are weak or his technique has always been kind of poo poo when it comes to kicks.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Conors just not the athelete he once was. You don't get to party like that and keeping being the worlds number 1 punchman. Look at him he looks 10 or 15 years older than he is. Dudes got coke holes in his brain.

Edit: also his accent has gotten cartoonish

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 12, 2021

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

nordichammer posted:

i'd never heard anyone say that before - kiss my whole rear end in a top hat was great

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't know why Conor wants a rematch, he's gonna be too scared to throw volume leg kicks that hard so what is he going to do to adapt?

Also, it took me a few days but I finally put together exactly what Conor's post fight interview reminded me of:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't know why Conor wants a rematch, he's gonna be too scared to throw volume leg kicks that hard so what is he going to do to adapt?

Also, it took me a few days but finally put together exactly what Conor's post fight interview reminded me of:

He's going to zag everyone and grapple.

He'll break his leg again.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Conor broken and flinging profane insults from the floor reminded me of a Scooby-Doo villian at the end of an episode.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's going to zag everyone and grapple.

He'll break his leg again.

He will try an Imanari roll, his foot will plant weird on the canvas, and his entire hip will displace out of socket

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

He will try an Imanari roll, his foot will plant weird on the canvas, and his entire hip will displace out of socket

And it'll happen directly on top of a Proper 12 logo

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Nis posted:

i'd never heard anyone say that before - kiss my whole rear end in a top hat was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GjRnXfUjo&t=21s

dustin is a student of history

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Destro posted:

Conor broken and flinging profane insults from the floor reminded me of a Scooby-Doo villian at the end of an episode.

Also Vince McMahon tearing both his quads getting in the ring at the end of the Royal Rumble, barking orders from the ring floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQgfg3g2AA&t=27s

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Someone needs to avenge Aldo and flash ko Mccgreggor.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Zeta Acosta posted:

connor finally getting legit knocked out will be great,

Lol did you miss Dustin Conor 2?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Destro posted:

...if it weren't for my meddling ankle!!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

shizen posted:

I mean he was saying he is going to murder him and his wife in there sleep doing a gun gesture to the head. That is pretty low even for conors standards. If any other fighter is doing that post fight I don't see dana keeping them around. I think you can get a pass trying to hype to fight since many fighters have said they are going to kill them in the ring but he took it too a whole other level especially since the fight was already over.

Remember when Jason High was cut and banned forever for shoving a ref while severely concussed?

Le Saboteur posted:

If I recall correctly leg kicks were a big thing Conor used in the second Diaz fight to neutralize Nate so a potential trilogy fight where he's too gunshy to throw leg kicks could end up quite a bit differently it seems.

He was also on crutches after that fight because of all the leg kicks he threw I think. So either his legs are weak or his technique has always been kind of poo poo when it comes to kicks.

He tends not to set them up and throws them naked, which really doesn't help. He doesn't have to be Rab Kaman, but he really doesn't blend them into his game.

Southpaugh posted:

Conors just not the athelete he once was. You don't get to party like that and keeping being the worlds number 1 punchman. Look at him he looks 10 or 15 years older than he is. Dudes got coke holes in his brain.

Edit: also his accent has gotten cartoonish

I think it's also, he's been playing a character for a long time. The character is his public face and is wildly successful and popular. It wouldn't surprise me if he sort of forgot how to switch it off. I think it's why I liked Chael but hate Conor, because Chael knew when to drop the character, to take the mask off.

sausage king of Chicago posted:

Watching that you would ask yourself the question, 'Is Conor really that dumb that he thinks a screen shot of a DM notification without actually showing the message is going to convince anyone that Jolie was up to some shady poo poo? '

and then you read the comments to that tweet and you realize that you are in fact the dumb one for even questioning it

For those wise enough not to be on twitter, roughly half of the comments are trying to interpret Dustin's body language or something. The other half are posting highlights of when Conor was good.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

quote:

"Dustin, you can celebrate that illegitimate win all you want but you done nothing in there," McGregor said.

"That second round would have shown all. Onwards and upwards we go team. We dust ourselves off, we build ourselves back and we come back better than ever."

The surgery

McGregor also informed his fans that the surgery was successful and revealed that he is expected to have six weeks on crutches before returning to training.

"Everything went to plan," noted McGregor. "Everything went perfect. I'm feeling tremendous.

"We got six weeks on [crutches] now and then we begin to build back.

"It was a hell of a first round, it would've been nice to get into that second round to see what's what, but it is what it is. That's the nature of the business, a clean break of the tibia and it was not to be."

Dudes fried.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

BrotherJayne posted:

Lol did you miss Dustin Conor 2?

don't waste your time

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Carlisle posted:

don't waste your time

Oh cool, looks like Zeta Acosta hoped we forgot they're a transphobe after a year and is back to posting in PSP

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Social media manager running about in circles and hurriedly deleting tweets while a coked out McGregor in a moon boot rushes after him, desperate for his phone back: https://twitter.com/oocmma/status/1414818613731680257

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
wow. that guy might be a dickhead.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

he is a double rapist after all.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw those coming out last night and I just unfollowed him

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

amenbrotep posted:

Social media manager running about in circles and hurriedly deleting tweets while a coked out McGregor in a moon boot rushes after him, desperate for his phone back: https://twitter.com/oocmma/status/1414818613731680257

Not as if they don’t know his password is notorious1, they’re just correctly banking on him not noticing his tweets disappearing

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Conor wants to be a heel so bad, and yet his own heel shattered under mysterious circumstances. Sad.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

Conor wants to be a heel so bad, and yet his own heel shattered under mysterious circumstances. Sad.

*Conor looking down at his tibia mid fight*

"Gonezo"

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

threeagainstfour posted:

*Conor looking down at his tibia mid fight*

"Gonezo"

:hellyeah:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Rousey says Conor was in the right to have a meltdown in his post fight interview. Conor thanked her.

From one worthless human and complete has been to another.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I just heard McGregor is posting pics of Poirier's family with threatening messages. I hope McGregor goes to jail what a piece of poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

he is a double rapist after all.

“”””””””””””””””””””alleged””””””””””””””””””
He gagged all the papers here so “Famous sports star” was a euphemism for rapist for a while. Wish the charges stuck. He’s filth.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cocaine is a hellova drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

“”””””””””””””””””””alleged””””””””””””””””””
He gagged all the papers here so “Famous sports star” was a euphemism for rapist for a while. Wish the charges stuck. He’s filth.

isn't that just how irish media law works due to privacy stuff and not conor putting a gag order out on them?