Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok thread I'm going to do another corned beef this week.
I have about two pounds of gold potatoes to go with it in the pot, what are recommendations? Assume I have all the time I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok thread I'm going to do another corned beef this week.
I have about two pounds of gold potatoes to go with it in the pot, what are recommendations? Assume I have all the time I need.

corned beef hash

CORNED BEEF HASH

CORNED. BEEF. HASH.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

I have no idea but A/T has an Ask a Cheesemonger thread now
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907467

beautiful ty

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
man on a hot day like this nothing is more satisfying than a toasted tuna sandwich.

some finely diced celery, scallions, horseradish, and sweet relish. add in the Mayo with some fresh cracked black pepper and hoo boy. slap a slice of cheese on top and eat up with Dijon mustard.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lib and let die posted:

corned beef hash

CORNED BEEF HASH

CORNED. BEEF. HASH.
It's for dinner.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Here's a little something I've learned recently

Put a star anise pod in like all your soups/sauces/stews

just also remember to take it out before you serve it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
meal prep day. got a grip of lentil chili brewing in the slow cooker. it'll be ready at 11pm to be sorted into containers for the week to come. :discourse:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

did cast iron smashburg with a tortilla press yesterday and i don't think i need to grill a burger ever again

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Smythe posted:

meal prep day. got a grip of lentil chili brewing in the slow cooker. it'll be ready at 11pm to be sorted into containers for the week to come. :discourse:

Nice

Budget bytes lentil chili?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

did cast iron smashburg with a tortilla press yesterday and i don't think i need to grill a burger ever again

I'd still rather do it outside because it's kinda splattery.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Epic High Five posted:

Nice

Budget bytes lentil chili?

heavily modified... but yes it remains the base. im too lazy for most of the spices other than chili powder and cayanne and poo poo but check this i add whole button shrooms, babby corns, garbgonzo bean, and a gently caress ton of horseradish O_O

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'd still rather do it outside because it's kinda splattery.

definitely used up a couple rags afterward lol

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i say swears online posted:

grill the tortilla press imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

hifi posted:

grill the tortilla press imo

this is what ancient pro-gamer White Ra would call "special tactics"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Smythe posted:

this is what ancient pro-gamer White Ra would call "special tactics"

god drat :hmmyes:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
made my best batch of bagels yet (finally got around to ordering some barley malt syrup for a real deal NY bagel)

and trying my hand at honey fermented garlic:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I need to do some fermented pickles of some kind

I've got a bunch of leftover bok choy maybe I'll do soemthing with that

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
made some infused oils

Rosemary/garlic and chili/garlic

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

made some infused oils

Rosemary/garlic and chili/garlic

make sure you store those in the fridge because garlic+oil=botulism

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i looked up infused oils and was surprised to see how short the shelf life on them is

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
you can freeze em in an ice cube tray and then bag em.

same with herb butters.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

make sure you store those in the fridge because garlic+oil=botulism

my eyes went wide at the garlic oil. be safe op

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
yeah, safely in the fridge, and most of it should be gone by the end of this weekend

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

yeah, safely in the fridge, and most of it should be gone by the end of this weekend

you fool, the botulism already has you. make your peace with god before the end comes

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

war crimes enthusiast
here’s what to do with ya garlic. fermented with jalapeño peppers. check the ph after the ferment. throw in fridge.

eventually your wife won’t want to kill you every time they are opened for fermenting garlic inside your house.

then well almost as good as adding fish sauce. I take about three cloves squeeze them in a press into things. this quart mason jar should last me a couple years.

false edit goddamnit why won’t awful auto embed accept that image

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Been a morning of baking

no-knead bread
rosemary focaccia
kalamata olive and feta cheese focaccia

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I like this okonomiyaki thing, it's p fuckin' tasty.

Been a morning of baking

no-knead bread
rosemary focaccia
kalamata olive and feta cheese focaccia

:c00l: This poo poo looks dank. Those bagels look great, too!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I have vague memories of making this post but I can't find it so there's a chance i'm repeating myself, but i've been on a buddhist-compatible cuisine kick lately and I stumbled across my favorite recipe database ever: https://buddhisttemple.ca/taste-of-zen/view-recipes/

this thing has recipes laid out like this:

quote:

Stir-fried Zucchini

Ingredients: 500g zucchini, 150g king oyster mushrooms, 100g red pepper, 2 pcs. ginger

Seasonings: 1tsp. salt, 1tsp. sugar

Steps:

Rince all ingredients and cut into thick slices.
Heat wok with oil. Stir fry ginger slices until aromatized. Add zucchini and king oyster mushrooms and stir fry until softened.
Add seasonings and continue to stir fry for a while. Top with red pepper and serve.
Tips:

Do not overcook the vegetables.

and thats the entire page! it's not brimming with stupid tales of "back in the day my grandma used to squeeze yams while watching to make sure the sloth larvae didn't escape the enclosure and run into the lava pits on the family farm" in the middle of the recipe, it's just a name + picture + explicit recipe and it's beautiful

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
made some mighty fine cinnamon raisin bagels this morning

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
whats the best roux for a good gumbo? i finally got sick of "lol america food is hamburger" comments and wanna make something good.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Zedhe Khoja posted:

whats the best roux for a good gumbo? i finally got sick of "lol america food is hamburger" comments and wanna make something good.

I use Donald Link's recipe (I have his cookbook but this is basically it with a bit less detail) and it turns out well. He recommends to heat on medium-high for 10 minutes then lower the heat as the roux darkens, but given the variation in stoves it's probably going to have to go by feel.

Coincidentally I'm actually making it again today; we'll see how it turns out

opposable thumbs.db has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Jul 27, 2021

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Jambalaya is really good. If you want I can find my uncle's Gumbo recipe as well, you can go really cajun

Fake edit: here it is, it is a really good recipe

E: forgot to mention that this is a big batch that he makes when hosting people for events. Cut it in half if you are making it for yourself

Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo

Ingredients:

1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
8 large celery stalks – chopped
4 medium yellow onions – chopped
4 green peppers – chopped
8 cloves of garlic
6 fresh thyme sprigs
4 to 5 bay leaves
4 tsp of salt
4 tsp of dried oregano
1 to 2 tsp of cayenne pepper
6 – 8 oz bottles of clam juice (you can find this in most grocery stores)
2 – 28 oz cans diced tomatoes with juice
2 lbs andouille sausage
2 - 16oz bags of frozen cut okra
4 to 5 lbs large (I like 25 to 30 count EZ peel) raw, peeled shrimp
I

Mise en place - When making this Gumbo, I find it’s a lot easier if you have your ingredients all set to go before you start. I make this in a huge pot, it’s a double batch.

You can half this recipe easily

The roux

The roux is the key to the Gumbo, a little patience, a little love and you’ll get it!

1 cup vegetable oil

1 cup flour

Heat oil in a large (9 t0 9 ½ quart enameled or cast iron) heavy duty pot on medium high heat until just about smoking.

Add the flour, stirring constantly until the roux becomes dark auburn in color. You may want to want to lower the heat as you go, it’s important not to let the flour burn,

which is why you have to stir or whisk it constantly. Total time will be around 12 minutes – not an exact science.

The Mirepoix (French term for blend of three vegetables)

8 large celery stalks – chopped

4 medium yellow onions – chopped

4 green peppers – chopped

As soon as you get the roux to the right color, add the mirepoix, cook another 8 t0 10 minutes – again stirring often

Next add

8 cloves of garlic chopped – continue cooking for one minute

Then add

6 fresh thyme sprigs

4 to 5 bay leaves

4 tsp of salt

4 tsp of dried oregano (I mash this a little with back of a heavy spoon or mortar)

1 to 2 tsp of cayenne pepper (a little goes a long way, depends on how spicy you want it)

6 – 8 oz bottles of clam juice (you can find this in most grocery stores)

2 – 28 oz cans diced tomatoes with juice

2 lbs andouille sausage halved, and then sliced into 1/2inch pieces. (This can be a little hard to find but it makes all the difference. If you can’t find andouille, you can use a good quality smoked sausage like kielbasa)

After adding the above, bring the Gumbo to a boil, stir often, and boil for 15 minutes

Add

2 - 16oz bags of frozen cut okra (even if you don’t love okra, you need it as it is a natural thickener)

Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes until the okra is tender

Add

4 to 5 lbs large (I like 25 to 30 count EZ peel) raw, peeled shrimp

Cook 3 to 5 minutes more or until shrimp are cooked

Serve your Gumbo over good quality long-grain white rice (no instant rice here)

Reposting my uncle's gumbo recipe that owns

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

saving dis recipe

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
if I visit America soon I’ll make that recipe for family but half that ingredients list is unavailable right now so I will have to make do with replacements I’m afraid.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

is that six 8-ounce bottles of clam juice? thats a lotta clam

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Chard posted:

is that six 8-ounce bottles of clam juice? thats a lotta clam

it's a double batch, the single batch would be 3 bottles of clam juice. He normally only makes this for things like the superbowl or other big events like that

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

make a roux with equal amounts flour/oil, saute the onions/peppers/garlic/celery, add water and season with salt or stock and pepper/thyme/bay, and add your meat. i see gumbo more as a product of a cooking style than a particular recipe.

4 to 5 lbs of shrimp sounds insane

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

it's a double batch, the single batch would be 3 bottles of clam juice. He normally only makes this for things like the superbowl or other big events like that

im sure its outstanding, i just had a chuckle at plopping a cardboard six-pack of Ocean's Bounty down at the register like i'm headed out for a day on the lake

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

hifi posted:

make a roux with equal amounts flour/oil, saute the onions/peppers/garlic/celery, add water and season with salt or stock and pepper/thyme/bay, and add your meat. i see gumbo more as a product of a cooking style than a particular recipe.

I'll definitely hand you that. It's mostly him trying to make sure a bunch of half drunk people are having a good time, though, so I generally give it a pass. much more of a chicken and sausage person myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hifi posted:

agree with you mostly, but i feel like the okra and the tomato is part of what makes gumbo different than any other roux based stew