Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Azathoth posted:

Seriously though, aside from guys like Bigelow, is anyone in UFOs doing better than "mid-level author"?

Like, I bet Giorgio Tsoukalos does well between books and TV and convention appearances but he's gotta hustle for it.

UFOs is a lovely grift. There's not even any money in it. You would be better off spending a career in the military and taking all your secrets to the grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

stanton friendman could never afford to care for his disabled children well, kenneth arnold and raymond palmer died in near poverty, keyhoe was middle class, hynek was well off enough but not wealthy wealthy, yadda

pretty boy vallet is the only truly wealthy old schooler i can think of and its sure as poo poo not saucer monies

im real sure micha hanks and greg carlwood and all the other modern boys are just rolling in dough :rolleyes:

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the best way to make money in saucers is as an antiquities dealer

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Did Lue give up a pension to go on the UFO train? Because that would lend a lot of credence to him

Apart from that, I'll bet Greer makes bank

Also Delonge is a "rock star"

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

stephen greer has never had enough money to stop being stephen greer for a living case closed

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

trash can lid salesmen make loving bank dude

I’m constantly throwing them in the air and taking a perfectly timed picture to make it look like a flying saucer

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

billy meier is a cult leader, coach, not a saucers man. always plenty to be made in cultin

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

billy meier is a cult leader, coach, not a saucers man. always plenty to be made in cultin

its really funny how most of ufology won't even speak his name because of his little cult

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Did Lue give up a pension to go on the UFO train? Because that would lend a lot of credence to him

yes, and he's recently said in an interview that once someone else in government steps up and takes point on the issue he wants to step back and maybe do a book deal or something

like, Lue and Mellon are actual for-realsies career intelligence guys and not grifter shitheads, this entire 'disclosure' process is an ongoing op, and the only important question is whether they're telling the truth or obfuscating it

none of the 'skeptic' poo poo is interesting, the released videos were selected specifically because they cannot be falsified on their own and are not conclusive either way

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

keep watching the skies.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://medium.com/on-the-trail-of-the-saucers/ufos-arent-russian-or-chinese-and-the-pentagon-knows-it-8e7d563637cf

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

*tosses Scully a folder*

mulder: ever heard of birds?

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Log082 posted:

to be clear, I would absolutely believe the B-2 and B-21 have some wacky electromagnetic field technology that inverts the polarity on the deflector dish or whatever and reduces radar cross section. I am, however, not aware of any way an emag field could influence airflow enough to affect flight characteristics. Not my field, though, so I could be wrong.

Look into plasma actuators, or plasma boundary layer control. It's not unreasonable to think this technology is in place on the B-2, it's one of the more realistic rumors thrown around in the black aircraft circles.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

*tosses Scully a folder*

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Rickshaw posted:

Look into plasma actuators, or plasma boundary layer control. It's not unreasonable to think this technology is in place on the B-2, it's one of the more realistic rumors thrown around in the black aircraft circles.

You ever say something, realize you oversimplified it, then figure "Eh, it won't matter, nobody is going to call me on that detail..."

I actually knew a guy in undergrad who did work on plasma actuators. I didn't realize they'd advanced that far, but I would absolutely believe they put that on various black projects.

What I remember reading in the conspiracy theory book was even wackier, like an electromagnetic field acting as additional wing surface, but I would also believe some random conspiracy guy heard of plasma actuators and totally misunderstood - or just that I remembered it wrong. Either way, that's cool as hell.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

https://www.rdrnews.com/2021/06/26/qa-with-luis-elizondo/

selected and emphasized excerpts containing the majority, though not all, of the interview:

quote:

He eventually left his Pentagon post to focus on raising awareness of UAPs and the questions surrounding them — “to dismantle the bureaucratic silos and stovepipes hindering the conversation about this important topic.” In 2017, he joined a private company comprised of former intelligence officers, scientists, engineers and others dedicated to engaging top policy-makers and the media on the topic.

A year later he started working as a host and technical producer on the History Channel’s “UNIDENTIFIED: Inside America’s UFO Investigation,” which introduced to a wider audience the history of the UAP phenomenon and present-day efforts to shed light on it. Front and center were investigations into the now-famous declassified military videos of tic-tac UAPs encountered by U.S. Navy pilots and other military personnel.

“In late 2020,” Elizondo states in his bio, “I decided to focus on disclosure advocacy at the global level … and this is where our journey begins!”

quote:

Roswell Daily Record: In your years of researching and speaking with people about UFO phenomena, have you heard or come across anything related to the alleged 1947 Roswell incident that you hadn’t heard before or that you think the general public might not have heard?

Elizondo: I’ll share with you … some of the observations that were made by some people. Before I was part of AATIP, I had no idea about Roswell, other than that there was sort of some alleged crash at some point and some farmer found debris — but during my time with AATIP, there was some very interesting anecdotal information that suggests there wasn’t just one crash, there may have been actually two crashes, and that somehow it may have been related to some sort of testing that was being done at the time at White Sands, and that material was recovered.

And that material that was recovered, samples of that material actually found their way into the hands of private citizens, some of them, but that the … allegedly the larger sections of debris were all recovered by the U.S. Government.

Unfortunately, my time at AATIP was very much focused on the current events at the time — so, for example, any type of instance that may involve military encounters from 2004, let’s say, until the time I left. There was discussion about historical events but it wasn’t the priority of AATIP, and the reason for that is not that it wasn’t important. We just had much better data and more recent data from the military sensors and eyewitnesses that revealed it.

So, there was discussion sometimes from what we call the graybeards. Some of these individuals would’ve been part of not just AATIP but part of historical efforts going back to Blue Book even, where individuals have shared with us these … I don’t want to call them stories … sometimes when you say “I’m going to tell you a story,” this seems to be based in fiction, but these individuals were convinced that the events in New Mexico was not fiction. In fact that it was a, very much a real event and that some very exotic material was recovered.

And then there was a subsequent effort to try to be very dismissive about what actually occurred in New Mexico. But again, I will share with you that it was, from my understanding, it wasn’t actually one, it was two crashes, and it may have been related to some sort of nuclear-type testing of technology that we were doing, atomic and/or nuclear technology at Los Alamos at the time.

Roswell Daily Record: U.S. military technology …

Elizondo: You know, you also had the Atomic Agency back then, so U.S. Atomic Commission as well, so we can say military but I just want to make sure that I’m accurate here. I don’t know if it was completely military. I think the response was a military response, but I don’t know the type of testing that was being done in Los Alamos in the 1947 time era — but if that is true then it seems … it’s interesting to me, because it’s consistent with the other observations we made that there is certainly a nuclear tie to UAP activity.

quote:

Roswell Daily Record: If you had a time machine and you could go to any moment in the history of the UFO or UAP phenomenon, and you could see it with your own eyes because you thought it would give you the best shot at the answer to what these things are, which period would you choose, which case?

Elizondo: I would actually go back to ancient Rome. When I was in Italy, I had the sincere honor and privilege of talking to one of the head academics in Rome, and there they provided a communication — a scroll if you will — between a Roman soldier and a Roman general, and in there he describes what they call a clipeus … the Roman shield from the Latin word … and they described what they call these flaming Roman shields in the sky that would follow them from battle space to battle space. I think for me that would be really interesting because going back that far, if I had the ability to look at a UAP, I could then make a determination knowing what I know now — are these vehicles consistent with what we’re seeing today or have they evolved as well, if it’s like humanity has evolved? Is there some sort of evolutionary process going on with these things, or is it not? Is it fairly consistent?

quote:

Roswell Daily Record: Of people who you’ve spoken to, whistleblowers or alleged witnesses, is there one that stands out for you as having hit the nail on the head, that most rings true to you?

Elizondo: Truth unfortunately is, so many times, it seems to be subjective, so I want to be sure to differentiate between what my truth might be versus what the real truth might be. We all have our version of what truth is, and yet sometimes the real truth may be something a little bit different, so I’m very careful to offer my opinion on who has a narrative that’s closer to the quote/unquote truth.

I learned a long time ago as a kid, you learn about the three blind men trying to describe an elephant. One person’s touching the ear while the other’s touching the leg and the other one’s touching the trunk, and they’re all describing something seemingly completely different, and in reality they’re describing the same thing from a different perspective. …

For me, when you’re talking to the military eyewitnesses who are not only trained observers and highly critical thinkers, they’re looking at things through a very specific aperture, if you will, and then you see the distress in their facial expressions when you’re having a conversation because not only are they confused and perplexed, frankly they’re a little concerned. … It’s always very compelling to me because I’ve trained in my background to understand micro-behaviors and neurolinguistics and things that the human body does when it is either under stress or it is being deceptive, and in these cases, none of these pilots have ever indicated any type of deceptive behavior, and they’re not trained in that, right? They’re pilots. They’re trained to be good pilots, not interrogators.

So, I have time and time and time and time and time again, when speaking to these individuals, they’re all telling you the truth. The question is, is what they are observing, that truth, the real truth? And the more I talk to pilots and the more I talk to eyewitness radar operators and whatnot, the more I’m convinced that what they are observing is the reality — and I have seen it myself on gun camera footage, some very, very compelling — that at the end of the day you’re left scratching your head and saying, “Look, I don’t know what that is, it’s not ours,” and I think that’s now finally being validated through Congress in this 180-day report.

We now realize it’s not our technology, so whose is it, right?

And then we have to go down the logic trail, if you will, for that part of the discussion, and right now the jury is still out. We don’t have a definitive conclusion yet, but I think it’s more and more looking like it’s something probably not man-made.

quote:

Roswell Daily Record: Has all of this been worth it for you?

Elizondo: Oh, wow. Either there’s days that I wake up and I say, “Hell yes,” and then there’s days I wake up and say, “Hell no.” It probably depends on how badly I’m getting beat up on social media at the time. My wife and my kids really take it hard when these people come out and they try to assume what your motivation is or they say, “Oh, well, he’s a counterintelligence guy, you can’t trust him.” These are coming from people in some cases who, you look at their social media profile and they’re for equal rights for everybody, you know, we don’t stereotype, and yet some of these people are the first ones that throw arrows just because I happen to have served my country. All of sudden now I’m being bad and evil.

It’s frustrating for me because I gave up a very good career to do this, and I’m not asking people for money, I’m not selling anything. I’m just speaking my mind based upon my observations and my experience. If people don’t want to listen to it, then don’t listen to it. I’m not forcing anybody to listen to it.

But, I think what’s bad for me, is what hurts, is when people start assigning a false narrative or a false motivation that isn’t there and they just presume or assume something, and they’re not really interested in the truth. They’re more interested in trying to support their own preconceived narrative or conspiracy theory. And so, it’s frustrating. It’s frustrating.

quote:

Roswell Daily Record: Could you speak a little bit more about some of the correlations you’ve seen between clusters of sightings and specific geography, proximity to nuclear facilities, that sort of thing, and what your thoughts are on those?

Elizondo: There definitely seems to be two congruencies that we saw in AATIP. One is our interest in our nuclear capabilities, and when I say capabilities, I don’t mean just weapons. It means propulsion. It means related technology. I mean power as well, and energy. There seems to be some interest in that. And then secondly, there is also some interesting congruencies we see in and around bodies of water. There’s been some speculation and some hypothesis presented that indicates maybe water’s being used as a potential fuel source. But there were some very interesting things that we saw, and I think what further makes this interesting is the fact that when you look at this compared to what the Russians were seeing in the ‘90s, and presumably still are seeing — and so were these other countries at the time that we were working with — they had the same exact problem too.

When I say problem, the same challenge of UAPs in and around nuclear equities, and water as well, and this is not just being observed by civilians. It’s being observed by law enforcement officers, security personnel, intelligence personnel. People who are trained to think critically and to really, probably from a trained-observer perspective, look at things from a slightly different angle. …

There’s an old saying we have in the military, “He who sees the enemy first wins.” Right? “He who pulls the trigger first wins.” We spent a lot of money making sure that we have a competitive advantage over our adversaries. So, these folks are highly trained in identifying if that’s an F-16 or an F-15 versus an Su-22 or a MiG-25.

You look at a MiG-25 and an F-15, to the untrained eye they look pretty similar, and then when you talk to an Air Force or a Navy pilot, they say, “No, they look completely different.” Well, that’s because they’re trained. They’re trained to notice the subtleties, and when these folks are reporting back things that don’t not only look like any aircraft we have, but don’t have wings and any associated technology such as control surfaces and rudders and ailerons and elevators — and don’t even have an engine, any obvious sign of propulsion, no cockpit, no rivets within the skin of the aircraft, then you’re faced with the big question: OK, well, what is it?

And that’s one of the reasons why we really don’t call them UFOs anymore, because when you talk about flight, you’re talking about four fundamental forces: thrust, lift, drag and weight. When you understand those forces, you create wings and lifting bodies and you create flight. These things are in our atmosphere but they don’t have any of the associated technology or characteristics that we normally attribute for flying
, so we don’t know if even that’s an accurate term — if these things are truly flying or not — because they don’t appear to have the things necessary to fly.

They’re there and they’re in our skies, but they may not be using the same type of technology we do to defy the natural effects of Earth’s gravity.

quote:

Roswell Daily Record: On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you say the public’s level of understanding of the phenomena is — and also, what is the government’s?

Elizondo: Public’s understanding is probably .01. Government’s understanding is about .02.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Disclose the aliens (birds) and I'll forgive you for being a ratfink spook, lue

until then.... [spits on the ground]

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

imagine if Constantines cross was a ufo, Ays caused Christianity lmao.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WEH posted:

Disclose the aliens (birds) and I'll forgive you for being a ratfink spook, lue

until then.... [spits on the ground]

Look uuuh... NDA
even though I disagree with the processes they use and classifying information not related to sources and methods is a crime uuuuh...

uuuhhh... can't get into it

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

my takeaway here is that Ross coulthart looks like putin

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

lue: those who serve are heroes, but i won't break my sacred ndas even when said servicemen have had their careers destroyed after speaking out about birds

also the guy who committed suicide after being harassed by my fellow spooks should've sucked it up and stopped being a bitch

*salutes flag*

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tekne posted:

lue: those who serve are heroes, but i won't break my sacred ndas even when said servicemen have had their careers destroyed after speaking out about birds

also the guy who committed suicide after being harassed by my fellow spooks should've sucked it up and stopped being a bitch

*salutes flag*

Lue is a man of contrasts
as show by his career path and facial hair choice

(just kidding for some reason government fuckers love the goatee, it's like the only thing they wear)

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

EFB: Range test or interference from another radar very close to it.

I Miss Snausages has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Jul 14, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

lol
efb by days
very eager to share knowledge a good trait

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

from his own website:

quote:

I’m the son of a Cuban immigrant father who was a dissident of the Castro regime. My father spent time as a political prisoner for his involvement in the Bay of Pigs. I grew up in South Florida and, as a young man, I was often exposed to my father’s efforts in helping change the political situation in Cuba.

Later, I attended the University of Miami, with double majors in Microbiology and Immunology and minors in Chemistry. I also gained advanced research experience in Parasitology and certain tropical diseases such as Malaria and Trypanosomiasis.

My goal with these degrees was to enter the medical field. During my research experience I was tangentially exposed to government agencies that were interested in biological research and intelligence. It was at this point I decided to pursue a career in intelligence and realized my true passion. I also decided to enlist in the U.S. Army.

Lue was always going to be what he is

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

getting PUMPED about BIRDS and BIRD FACTS and BIRD LOGIC so here is a BIRD MEME from the covid thread.

not sure what exactly lue was suggesting, but im excited to hear from some new voices this week

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Wheeee posted:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lue should simply read theory. idiot

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Log082 posted:

You ever say something, realize you oversimplified it, then figure "Eh, it won't matter, nobody is going to call me on that detail..."

I actually knew a guy in undergrad who did work on plasma actuators. I didn't realize they'd advanced that far, but I would absolutely believe they put that on various black projects.

What I remember reading in the conspiracy theory book was even wackier, like an electromagnetic field acting as additional wing surface, but I would also believe some random conspiracy guy heard of plasma actuators and totally misunderstood - or just that I remembered it wrong. Either way, that's cool as hell.

I've heard conspiracy theorists say that the B2 charges the wing leading edge and this produces an antigravity effect. Apparently 1 out of every 3 B2s is secretly an antigravity craft. Who knew antigravity was as simple as charging a capacitor? Besides T Townsend Brown, of course.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Lue should simply read theory. idiot

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
maybe we are in the no mans sky universe and every uap is a random traveler who passes through once and never again but there are only limited ship designs everyone uses

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

*tosses Scully a folder*

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Pontificating rear end posted:

investigate the orbs

edit:

^
I think this is what they are doing; the 'orb' is actually just the tip of the lower-dimensional penetrator

"wtf they doin down there they making so much drat noise and its 12049172 glorpoclock!"

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

fine by me as long as it’s not no mans sky at launch

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wheeee posted:

from his own website:

this, along with the recent Cuba discourse, makes me think this bird thing is an op for bay of pigs 2, albeit kind of on the nose

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Wheeee posted:

from his own website:

i gotta say, i did not expect the career military dude to have degrees in microbiology, immunology, math, and chemistry. And advanced research in tropical diseases and parasitology? :tinfoil: aliens did covid??

But it does make sense for a person involved with a program like AATIP to have a background like that, and that well educated dudes are the ones the military would want in intelligence instead of basic grunt poo poo stacking barrels of piss and whatnot. I guess I just had an image in my mind of Elizondo joining the military as a teen/early-20s dude lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rah! posted:

i gotta say, i did not expect the career military dude to have degrees in microbiology, immunology, math, and chemistry. And advanced research in tropical diseases and parasitology? :tinfoil: aliens did covid??

But it does make sense for a person involved with a program like AATIP to have a background like that, and that well educated dudes are the ones the military would want in intelligence instead of basic grunt poo poo stacking barrels of piss and whatnot. I guess I just had an image in my mind of Elizondo joining the military as a teen/early-20s dude lol

he just wants to grill, and also make first contact with aliens