Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

You can find literally any lovely opinion somewhere on the internet.

Yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Groovelord Neato posted:

Man this and the Black Mesa posts are making me wanna replay the OG.

Yes.

I'm waiting on MMod guy to release his HL1 version, looks fresh as hell.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yes.

I'm waiting on MMod guy to release his HL1 version, looks fresh as hell.

Definately replaying HL1 with MMod as soon as it gets released :f5:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Whats that mod gonna do?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

With so many posts here I thought we finally got Civvie's Cruelty Squad video or something.

Anyway I went and watched through all his Duke stuff again and I still want to see what he has to say about DNMP. I remember it being fine, not great, but looked much better in hindsight after we finally got DNF.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I kinda want him to cover the lovely console sequels, Duke Nukem 4 and 5.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SeANMcBAY posted:

Whats that mod gonna do?

Adds an M.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Guillermus posted:

Definately replaying HL1 with MMod as soon as it gets released :f5:

According to last update he's in the final stretch so hrrrrrrrrrnggh I need it.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Whats that mod gonna do?

Updates the gunplay with new animations, particle effects, gore, modified enemy behavior, that sort of thing. Easier to see it in action.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-mmod

Here's some vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qMHpLMYPk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWJX35uR_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZMGlDeDBtU

And some gifs:

:swoon:

A neat detail I am absolute feral over; each ammo type has its own unique pickup sound now :allears:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHesnoobl_I

10+ minutes montage of Civvie roasting Randy Prickford if someone wants to relieve that.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

According to last update he's in the final stretch so hrrrrrrrrrnggh I need it.

Updates the gunplay with new animations, particle effects, gore, modified enemy behavior, that sort of thing. Easier to see it in action.

It's been forever since I played OG Half-Life but is the dynamic lighting from the gun-flash new? I can't remember if it was in OG HL.

*edit*

wish Opposing Force / Blue Shift got more love from the mod scene.

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 13, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was under the impression the whole episode thing was dead and it was just gonna be 3 but you're right.
I mean neither episode 3 or just regular 3 could happen because Valve can't count to 3

Half Life: 2 expansions

Half Life 2: 2 expansions

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Software renderer, huh

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

TheScott2K posted:

Software renderer, huh

Is it? Or did they just disable filtering?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Battleborn was actually pretty decent for what it was and it's a shame there's not really anything else to fill it's niche now that it's literally as dead as a game can possibly get

Secretely, I wasn't being ironic, I liked it better than say, Overwatch.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Hasturtium posted:

Is it? Or did they just disable filtering?

That makes more sense. HL had a good as hell software renderer for sure, but I'm noticing this weird strain of "nobody had a 3D card until 2003" going around lately, thought maybe this was some misguided swing at "authenticity"

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

drrockso20 posted:

Battleborn was actually pretty decent for what it was and it's a shame there's not really anything else to fill it's niche now that it's literally as dead as a game can possibly get

Battleborn co-op was a blast, we had tons of fun playing through that. We never touched the PvP mode though.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

site posted:

I would say that the fact that it was designed as and pushed at release as a minigame to show off the index and its individual hand/finger tracking capabilities makes it one

When was Alyx ever designed or pushed as a minigame? It's about as long as the other games in the series and was released at full price, at no point was it ever designed or presented as anything other than a full-length campaign. And it relies on finger tracking way less than Half-Life 2 relied on Havok physics, considering they're never actually used for gameplay at all and the game works perfectly on other headsets.

Are we just operating on a definition of "tech demo" that means "uses new tech" or something?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the definition of tech demo is 'thing i don't like'. thank you

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'll admit it's been a while but I remember it explicitly being tied to the index on release. Maybe that's just how the advertising imprinted on me :shrug:

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

TheScott2K posted:

That makes more sense. HL had a good as hell software renderer for sure, but I'm noticing this weird strain of "nobody had a 3D card until 2003" going around lately, thought maybe this was some misguided swing at "authenticity"

I suspect it's an effort to maximize the sharpness of the game's low res textures without resorting to schemes to increase their effective resolution. Some people really don't like how low res source textures are smudged by linear filtering, but don't want to go the route of AI upsampling or schemes like XBRZ or HQX because they can introduce artifacts or alter the character of the art. And point sampled (hopefully mipmapped...) textures are true to a specific aspect of the original graphics... It really comes down to personal taste.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Turin Turambar posted:

Secretely, I wasn't being ironic, I liked it better than say, Overwatch.

It was pretty unfair it kept getting compared to that when they were quite different.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

site posted:

I'll admit it's been a while but I remember it explicitly being tied to the index on release. Maybe that's just how the advertising imprinted on me :shrug:

You get a free copy if you buy an Index but it's always fully supported other headsets.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dieting Hippo posted:

Battleborn co-op was a blast, we had tons of fun playing through that. We never touched the PvP mode though.

The PvP was fun just two issues holding it back;

1) a real lack of maps(which was a problem if you only had like 4 maps for a given mode and at least one of them sucked)

2) the developers had some funny ideas regarding character balance which resulted in some characters feeling kinda wimpy towards the end

Overall though I feel it showed that a FPS/MOBA hybrid could work just fine and would love to see a new example emerge(indeed now I'm kinda thinking about how hard it would be to make something of that nature in say the idtech 1 engine as a Doom mod, probably not too hard really I figure the AI for the MOBA aspects would be the main challenges)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Monday Night Combat was amazing and the only real negative was it was a TPS.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Monday Night Combat was amazing and the only real negative was it was a TPS.

Monday Night Combat was really, really good and it's tragic that it got dumpstered in favor of SMNC almost immediately, which in turn was wrapped in a bedsheet and chucked in the river some weeks later

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Johnny Joestar posted:

HL:A would have been a full game if there had been a bossfight with a headcrab zombie gorilla or bear in the zoo level, but there wasn't, so it's poo poo a tech demo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Johnny Joestar posted:

I don't know where you got the idea that I dislike hla because I called it a tech demo. That's not a comment on its quality

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DoombatINC posted:

Monday Night Combat was really, really good and it's tragic that it got dumpstered in favor of SMNC almost immediately, which in turn was wrapped in a bedsheet and chucked in the river some weeks later

I was bummed when they were one of the hugely successful early kickstarters because they deserved to go out of business after SMNC.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Alyx goes beyond tech demo a bit but it’s definitely no 3.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I dunno why being a tech demo would disqualify it from being Half-Life 3 since Half-Life 2 was one.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

site posted:

The only extra things you get to do in HLA with index controllers are flip people off, crush cans and poke piano keys, the game itself works just fine on any other headset
Calling SCheeseman disingenuous for a 10 hour playtime while you call the game a tech demo is a little strange. I mean technically it does demonstrate a new way to play games, but as a game it definitely stands out on its own. I hear "tech demo" and I imagine a short 10-15 minute experience. HLA took me a little over 10 hours to finish. I think 5 and a half for a first playthrough is really stretching it

HLA's success is great momentum for Valve to actually finish a HL3, but really it probably still depends on everyone not just wheeling their desks away and canceling it again

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 14, 2021

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Opposing Force was Half-Life 2. Half-Life 2 is Half-Life 3.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

drrockso20 posted:

The PvP was fun just two issues holding it back;

1) a real lack of maps(which was a problem if you only had like 4 maps for a given mode and at least one of them sucked)

2) the developers had some funny ideas regarding character balance which resulted in some characters feeling kinda wimpy towards the end

Overall though I feel it showed that a FPS/MOBA hybrid could work just fine and would love to see a new example emerge(indeed now I'm kinda thinking about how hard it would be to make something of that nature in say the idtech 1 engine as a Doom mod, probably not too hard really I figure the AI for the MOBA aspects would be the main challenges)

It was a great game with a lot of problems:

-Full price $60 game where 75% of the characters were locked behind leveling.

-On top of being a full-priced game it, had a loot box gear system where you earned rewards for multi more reliably by playing campaign. So in order to equip yourself better, you bring down the PvP player count.

-A particle effect system that destroyed streaming codecs at the time, ensuring nobody would stream it.

-There was no real explanation to your average shooter person what they were getting into. Many people tried to play the PvP like Overwatch, as in they would just chase after enemy players then throw shitfits when the turret spiders killed them. They may have added a tutorial for how to play a MOBA, but it sure wasn't there on release.

-They kept trying to pull people in with +200%XP weekends, which just resulted in lots of people reaching lvl 100 over the course of a weekend. While all this really did was unlock heroes and some cosmetics, I remember seeing tons of people thinking that the level ranks meant they were getting paired up with high-ranked players.

-Balance issues, like you said.

-2K as a publisher probably made a lot of business decisions that killed it, including not willing to pay the money needed to re-classify the "free trial" edition of the game as "free to play" so that it would show up in the FtP section of Steam.

But I definitely liked it. I think an FPS MOBA that is honest with its marketing and calls itself a MOBA would do well. The writing could actually be genuinely funny even if it had the Gearbox problem of every character screaming their lines, and there was an absolutely insane amount of recorded character chatter. I think that maybe if it released a year earlier or a year later, it may have been a different story, but I could also be completely wrong.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Opposing Force is Half Life Episode 1, Blue Shift is Half Life Episode 2. Half Life 2D is Half Life 2 Episode 0.9. Portal is a tech demo. Quake is Doom 2, Doom 2 is Doom Episode 5. Doom is robotron.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 14, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay in the interest of me not having to closely follow this thread for the night I will retract my statement, alyx is not a tech demo

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Half & Life
2 Half 2 Life
The Half & The Life : Opposing Force
Half & Life
Half 5
Half & Life 6
Life 7
The Half 8 Life
H9

Spinoff: The Half & The Life Presents : Barney & Alyx

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoombatINC posted:

Not before they slipped a bitcoin miner into it though

and then closed the game down six years later because they didn't want to fix it for GDPR lmao

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not before they slipped a bitcoin miner into it though
:frogon:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I miss Tribes Ascend and I'm not ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Overbite posted:

I miss Tribes Ascend and I'm not ashamed.

:same:

Midair was pretty good for a while but it's mostly dead now I think.