Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fivemarks posted:

I'm trying to get my Fiancee to watch more giant robots- she really loving loved GaoGaiGar and Argento Soma and Giant Gorg, and is a huge Transformers and Tezuka fan.

Shin Mazinger might be a good choice or maybe G Gundam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Gripweed posted:

Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still seems like the obvious next choice. Maybe Turn A Gundam too.

She's watched them both, actually.

drrockso20 posted:

Shin Mazinger might be a good choice or maybe G Gundam

Both of these too.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
:lol: that your fiance you're trying to get into the fandom has already seen all the classics. Sounds like a keeper at any rate!

How about the 2005 Gaiking? It's a very solid super robot that not many people have seen. Tracking it down might be a hassle, though. Crunchyroll had it subbed at one time, but they no longer carry it. It looks like Amazon has the series dubbed but not subbed?

Or if you want to go real oldschool, Voltes V is quite good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol if you think you've seen all the classics when you haven't even watched Ginguiser

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I’m at ep 42 of dougram and it’s a series recap episode but they’re spending a lot of time on the one random guy who stole a combat armor at the very beginning. I don’t really if it’s worth watching or if I should just skip it.

Edit: I figured I’d just watch it and it’s just a recap of the first few episodes. I imagine the next couple of episodes will recap the next few arcs. I think I’ll skip them since I don’t think I need reminding of what happened like someone who’s been watching the show as it was airing or started watching in the middle of the 75 or so episodes. Having more than one recap episode feels a little unnecessary though.

hostess with the Moltres fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 9, 2021

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

I'm trying to get my Fiancee to watch more giant robots- she really loving loved GaoGaiGar and Argento Soma and Giant Gorg, and is a huge Transformers and Tezuka fan.

If she liked GaoGaiGar, how about some of the other Brave shows? I recommend J-Decker in particular

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann seems like an extremely obvious pick for anyone who loves super robots.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Droyer posted:

If she liked GaoGaiGar, how about some of the other Brave shows? I recommend J-Decker in particular

That'll just lead to endless arguments on if J-Decker is ruined by knowing that its director also did Boku no Pico, especially with some of the stuff in J-Decker.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fivemarks posted:

That'll just lead to endless arguments on if J-Decker is ruined by knowing that its director also did Boku no Pico, especially with some of the stuff in J-Decker.

On the other hand without Boku no Pico we wouldn't have the "Don't Watch An Anime Called Boku" audio and the world would be a poorer place

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Do Watch a robot anime called Boku no Marie

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I also enjoyed Gear Fighter Dendoh fwiw, though I watched half of that in HK shitsubs

Oh also my friends loved Layzner, and we're pretty similar in taste, so I'll probably like it a lot too. Also they were pretty good in SRW J.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

give 'er the Big O

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

aside from this being uhh, insane

i'm only seeing this guy on Exkizer, Da-garn, Fighbird, and one episode of Might Gaine

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Shinji Takamatsu didn't direct Boku no Pico, you're thinking of the Da-garn guy

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Shinji Takamatsu DID direct the Kochikame movies so I'm even more excited to watch J-Decker now

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Right now the plan is to get her to watch Macross so we can watch Macross 7, but also for us to give Vifam a try.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I picked up Granbelm again after watching the first episode a while back, and finished it this Wednesday. Really beautiful show, sorry to hear people kind of slept on it back in 2019.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I picked up Granbelm again after watching the first episode a while back, and finished it this Wednesday. Really beautiful show, sorry to hear people kind of slept on it back in 2019.

I didn't think the SD mecha designs served it well. The stubby little limbs and large, highly detailed heads and torsos made the action a bit difficult to follow.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it was good until they decided the final battle should just be funnel spam

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Doamygar-D! It was a fun little short that pretty competently mimicked 70s super robot shows and actually managed to tell a fun candy-related riff on a super robot stock story. I think it has a little more thematic depth to it than you'd expect from a 2 minute show riffing on 70s anime, even if the theme is simply that handmade candy is better than mass produced candy.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

dogsicle posted:

it was good until they decided the final battle should just be funnel spam

I didn't mind that so much, but admittedly the best fight in the show is still probably Anna's last one, and not just because her voice actor was trying to break the microphone

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Justin_Brett posted:

I didn't mind that so much, but admittedly the best fight in the show is still probably Anna's last one, and not just because her voice actor was trying to break the microphone

Granbelm kind of ended for me after Anna died, because she was a much more engaging antagonist for me than Suishou ended up being(despite Aoi Yuuki doing her absolute best).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It's kind of funny how it takes for Delta for some people to think the franchise looks down on government. Sure Frontier isn't as heavy on it but the government does shady rear end poo poo there, and in the obscure lore department the whole reason there's a New UN government is because the old one got corrupt as hell, but it turns out if all you do is hit reboot but fix nothing you just get the same old poo poo again. Then there's Plus where the passions and dreams of people are just wholesale fodder for government (and private) interests. You have the original where the government is relatively useless, up until they're blown up and replaced by the government of Macross personnel, which aren't perfect but at least they're not faceless bureaucrats and politicians out for themselves.

The PMC stuff really feels off but it's pretty clear it's more for protagonist freedom than serious moralizing. It just ends up crossing into that because the story does some moralizing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I didn't think the SD mecha designs served it well. The stubby little limbs and large, highly detailed heads and torsos made the action a bit difficult to follow.

I'd say the fight choreography in general has issues, not just from the funnels and the SD aspects. Grambelm, in the fights I've seen at least, does a poor job with a lot of the basic flow stuff. You don't get many wide shots to establish who's fighting who, you don't get continuity of direction and action, there's a lot of fast cuts, and the basic combat style has a lot of beams and other showy effects.

It's really impressive animation, but it's presented in a way that maximizes confusion and makes it harder to appreciate the fights, or even to understand them.

Argas posted:

It's kind of funny how it takes for Delta for some people to think the franchise looks down on government. Sure Frontier isn't as heavy on it but the government does shady rear end poo poo there, and in the obscure lore department the whole reason there's a New UN government is because the old one got corrupt as hell, but it turns out if all you do is hit reboot but fix nothing you just get the same old poo poo again. Then there's Plus where the passions and dreams of people are just wholesale fodder for government (and private) interests. You have the original where the government is relatively useless, up until they're blown up and replaced by the government of Macross personnel, which aren't perfect but at least they're not faceless bureaucrats and politicians out for themselves.

The PMC stuff really feels off but it's pretty clear it's more for protagonist freedom than serious moralizing. It just ends up crossing into that because the story does some moralizing.

Plus has the highest ranking characterized representatives of the military be levelheaded, decent people who have just had it up to HERE with Isamu's flyboy antics. There's some general shadiness for the top brass (especially since they were considering the Ghost program) but the most villainous human is working in the idol industry.

Working off Plus and Seven, the government and military formed after Earth got mostly wiped out are basically trying to do the right thing, in general, but they're got villainous elements, and even the good guys are hidebound and usually unable (or unwilling) to see the best solutions to the problem at hand, because the best solution (singing, probably) is something outside of their system. And that continues to a degree in Frontier, with the conspiracy acting against the government as well as against the protagonists.

Then Delta comes along, makes the villain faction a bunch of imperialist assholes mind controlling everyone, and then decides they need to be presented as moral equals to the (flawed but not outright villainous, in general) NUNS. Which, naturally enough, causes a bit of whiplash.

It's especially notable because Macross's default in the previous shows had been "inhuman" enemies who grow humanized as the series went on, making the conflict resolution easy to frame as a matter of understanding rather than force. By going with a more conventional enemy, Delta loses the usual benefit of the doubt.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

muike posted:

is there anything cooler than dudes pulling high g maneuvers in mechs while electronic pop music with driving basslines play? I say no and that's why macross plus and zone of the enders 2 have the same energy

One of the many reasons Macross is cool and good is that the fans don't have to make the AMVs. Basically this,

e. better timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYA8BUGSWTU&t=252s

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 10, 2021

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
More random thoughts: the very distinct reverb of Zentradi voices might have been inspired by Darth Vader’s Japanese voice, which had a very different sound from the English-speaking Darth Vader. Star Wars came out in 1978 in Japan, and ESB in 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGtzkkb8ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q012HZcsBQs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

wielder posted:

Speaking of Orguss 02, it's falso unny how they have a different theme song for the OP when you switch audio tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENR6vUqeZpo

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuyy65LjI4

It wasn't unusual for anime to have their soundtracks messed with in the west in the 90's, Dominion Tank Police and The Guyver both had new ops and a few, such as Cyber City Oedo and the Street Fighter 2 movie, had their soundtracks completely replaced, presumably to make it 'cooler' sounding for westerners. Manga Entertainment especially loved doing that.

Orguss 02 is a weird one though because unless I'm missing something the dub op also sounds like it's being sung in Japanese.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Zeta Gundam also had a US market OP change.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And 0079 had a Toonami remix for the OP and ED.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah I love those type of mecha. Reminds me of the ones in Wataru and Lamunes 40

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Zeta Gundam also had a US market OP change.

This was due to rights issues though, as the original Zeta OPs were unrelated songs that got licensed in Japan with different lyrics and singers

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Then Delta comes along, makes the villain faction a bunch of imperialist assholes mind controlling everyone, and then decides they need to be presented as moral equals to the (flawed but not outright villainous, in general) NUNS. Which, naturally enough, causes a bit of whiplash.

I think that this succinctly sums up my biggest problem with Delta- it doesn't feel like its telling a Macross story, it feels like its telling a (Bad) Gundam Story with a veneer of Macross Paint on top.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The new SRW 30 trailer prompted me to check and the Gaogaigar vs Betterman novel finished, so I finished reading it over the evening. I liked it a lot! It's quite clearly a labor of love, with minor and even perfunctory characters from the original show getting moments to shine. The action is easy to follow and visualize, and almost every fight had a moment that either made me go "hell yeah" or tugged at my heartstrings.

That said it's not perfect. The Bettermen, while they have a very good resolution in the final chapters, spend so long being vague and mysterious they drag down almost every scene they're in, and mostly feel like a plot device during fights. The author also has a tendency to overexplain things, to the point it sometimes brought me out of the writing.

Overall I highly recommend it if you're a fan of GaoGaiGar and you can read it here: https://pyroxenescanning.wordpress.com/hakaiou-toc/

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jun Kawagoe has been saving up 17 year's worth of ugly old anime men for the arc adaptation and I am here for it.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Probably worth posting this here as well: Super robot wars 30 seems to be getting an official america and europe release on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/898750/Super_Robot_Wars_30/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Droyer posted:

Probably worth posting this here as well: Super robot wars 30 seems to be getting an official america and europe release on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/898750/Super_Robot_Wars_30/

:holy:

I have spent the last thirty minutes going absolutely apeshit in my friend's discord server because of this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ckunzelman/status/1415708701890072576?s=19

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So me and the fiancee have started watching Gaiking, and despite the absolute QUALITY of the early episodes, she's really enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fivemarks posted:

So me and the fiancee have started watching Gaiking, and despite the absolute QUALITY of the early episodes, she's really enjoying it.

Glad to here it! Out of curiosity, how did you end up watching it?