Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Not sure as of yet, just happened. Also I'm a little leery of posting too much detail yet. With our instructions not to talk specifics with people except we are on a ULP strike, idk. I'd rather be cautious at the moment.

Thanks for the support though! I'll probably toss some pms when this gets more traction.

I was of course thinking the federal mediator could be bad but if they won't even meet with them it shows real bad faith on the company's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

poop on someone’s doorstep

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
kidnap ur boss like the French

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah sorry I wasn’t thinking big enough

go get em

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin Credible posted:

Not sure as of yet, just happened. Also I'm a little leery of posting too much detail yet. With our instructions not to talk specifics with people except we are on a ULP strike, idk. I'd rather be cautious at the moment.

Thanks for the support though! I'll probably toss some pms when this gets more traction.

I was of course thinking the federal mediator could be bad but if they won't even meet with them it shows real bad faith on the company's part.

management will drag their feet until the sun explodes, theyre absolute babies about negotiating deadlines bc they know there's nothing actually stopping them until workers get pissed off to make them, which, gently caress yeah get on that strike line and never back down

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
one thing I wish I had done was call every local politician and every other union local to try to get them out to the strike line, my CWA local barely did anything so no one knew we’d be there so there was no press coverage

good luck out there!!

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Thanks! We got press on this last time and will again, plus a number of other teamster shops doing stuff in support of us locally to help put pressure. We already had one crew that are 700 miles out of area doing facility upgrade work that bailed and went to a hotel in support of us striking. :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

gently caress federal mediators though

Last time we had a (loving huge money for our entire facility bargaining unit) grievance go to mediation, the mediator sat on it for three plus years, and then (when pressed hard for a ruling from both parties, who were just tired of waiting) said “I cannot bring this matter to a conclusion,” and sent it back to the parties.

He is no longer a federal mediator, but in short:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Good luck Justin Credible :respek:

MrYenko posted:

Also this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

we won our vote today :) onward to the contract

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

CONGRATS

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

In Training posted:

hell loving yea

loving awesome! congrats!!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

In Training posted:

:hellyeah:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

In Training posted:

hell yeah, congrats

now gently caress em up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

In Training posted:

hell yea kick their asses

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Keep strong! We're on day 10 of our strike, stuff is predictably falling apart for them. By our estimation they've already lost more money in this time than it would have been in wage increases for us for over a year. All that money just to fail and erode customer confidence in the company. Dipshits.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Justin Credible posted:

Keep strong! We're on day 10 of our strike, stuff is predictably falling apart for them. By our estimation they've already lost more money in this time than it would have been in wage increases for us for over a year. All that money just to fail and erode customer confidence in the company. Dipshits.

get’em, keep at it and good luck!

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011
theres almost certainly going to be a nontenured faculty strike at university of california campuses this fall.

there was already a fairly big and spreading wildcat strike action that started at the end of 2019, when grad students started a wildcat strike for cost of living adjustments. covid completely hosed us. the two big pressures the strike could bring was withholding grades and blocking entrance to campus. the bus drivers union (also uaw) refused to cross the line and it was extremely disruptive to campus operatioon despite the strike only having ~100-200 people. covid completely hosed us by forcing everybody off campus, and maintaining the grading strike was not very popular because it really only hurt undergrads (the university didnt really give a poo poo).

itll be interesting to see where this goes, from what I can tell the negotiations with nontenured faculty are going horribly. if they strike, the grad student strike will almost certainly come back. we could have absolutely gotten more than what we did, and I think having to come back to get housing is making every single grad student infuriated so hopefully we have more support this time.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think the best way to encourage co-workers to unionize is to get promoted to their boss and actively make their jobs worse.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

So get promoted to boss and act like boss??

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I think the best way to encourage co-workers to unionize is to get promoted to their boss and actively make their jobs worse.

I think it's to be friends with them and then help both of your lives improve through collective action,

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

many sides

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am in the extremely weird situation that the immediate superiors in the chain (the head of my team and the director of the company's branch that my team is under) are way leftier than my team colleagues, which is an incredible lmao in every aspect

the director had a formal complaint to the class organization we're under that they were scabbing, because they agreed to an informal pledge of dismissal of collective bargaining until the pandemic is resolved here in Brazil; he wanted to tell everybody in an email but legal advised him that he would be technically violating labor laws - undue influence against an employee's judgement on an union matter - but in the other direction
. the lmao. I can't

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

bosses have gotten shittier in the last 10 years and it hasn't led to a surge in unionization unfortunately

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Channel8ABC/status/1414432467340177411

union people should seize on this

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
stroking workers at a Kansas frito-lay plant have requested people pls not buy anything from frito-lay or Pepsi while they’re striking. get other snacks!! you can do it

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1416919789415636994

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bought kettle chips today because of that

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The workers should seize the means of production and sell bootleg doritos using frito-lay's own machines.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

stroking workers at a Kansas frito-lay plant have requested people pls not buy anything from frito-lay or Pepsi while they’re striking. get other snacks!! you can do it

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1416919789415636994

Man if they're having to work while actively having a stroke that's rough

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPotash/status/1418638111542845441

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

fuckin lmao i came in here to post that

man knows the gently caress he's doing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

apparently he’s a comedian and not a shop steward :(

still funny, and instructive

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

its fake news he's a youtube comedian. but he's right. edit beaten

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
frito lay strike over with a contract :toot:

also the aclu is union busting AGAIN

https://twitter.com/ACLUILUnited/status/1418949142630572040

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

paying slave wages is free speech

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
money is speech so truly what's more free speech than hiring lawyers to talk your workers out of unionizing

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
activision/blizzard hiring a union-busting firm to combat workplace organizing is a great sign that they need a union

https://mobile.twitter.com/JDespland/status/1420534909752463361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That Confessions of a Union Buster book really shows you how lovely everyone who works for those firms are (including the insufferable guy who wrote it)