Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There was definitely a turning point somewhere around the year 1000 where the bishop of rome went from being "just" the most important latin bishop to being the actual boss who got to tell other bishops what to do (at least in theory)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Never has been, check out the Investiture Controversy. Before that the Pope doesn't have much influence. In particular when the Western Roman Empire was still around you had better believe they did what they were told just like their Byzantine equivalent did.

Edit: as for Anglicanism - which one? Its a (very) broad church.

I was just shooting an off the cuff answer, but yeah, Papal centralization was a thing that took centuries of time to happen as cheetah7071 pointed out. I was just using the anti-popes as a way of saying that sufficiently strong kings have been known to effectively appoint their own pope when disagreeing with Rome so the Anglican church wasn't treading new ground.

None of the ideas of the Reformation were new and several of them were centuries old.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ithle01 posted:

None of the ideas of the Reformation were new and several of them were centuries old.

This is missing the point a bit IMHO. Every single idea that has ever been at the center of any conflict has had some time to brew hot. Of course Luther didn't invent them fresh.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Ola posted:

This is missing the point a bit IMHO. Every single idea that has ever been at the center of any conflict has had some time to brew hot. Of course Luther didn't invent them fresh.

Fair enough, once again though, I'm bringing it up because we're talking about the length of time from Edward III to the Anglican church, which means that someone who crossed that time period would probably adapt fairly quickly to the new status quo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ithle01 posted:

Fair enough, once again though, I'm bringing it up because we're talking about the length of time from Edward III to the Anglican church, which means that someone who crossed that time period would probably adapt fairly quickly to the new status quo.

Yeah, his response would be more bemused that it actually happened, since he'd seen the seeds of it in his own time. He might be slightly surprised that it took 300 years.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ithle01 posted:

I think a time traveller from our time with our knowledge of their political situation would still struggle to make good use of it. There would just be too much short term stuff going on and he wouldn't have any leverage with his "trust me in seven hundred years this will make sense". Which could perhaps be an interesting plot consideration?

Edward III to the Anglican church is a very long time though, particularly in terms of ideology.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Wait - is this the origin of Swedish "fitta"? A loan word from Finnish?

Nah, the Finnish people learned about the female genitalia from the Swedes. It saved them from extinction, since they all had the same mullets.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Ola posted:

I think a time traveller from our time with our knowledge of their political situation would still struggle to make good use of it. There would just be too much short term stuff going on and he wouldn't have any leverage with his "trust me in seven hundred years this will make sense". Which could perhaps be an interesting plot consideration?

Edward III to the Anglican church is a very long time though, particularly in terms of ideology.

I don't know the specifics of the time-travel question in particular, but sure I agree that there is a lot going on in terms of how the ideology changed. I'm just saying that the ideas can be understood by the people in the 14th century without too much difficulty given the events of that time period and prior.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ola posted:

I’ve always like the word kairos.

Absolutely there were a bunch of people before Luther who had the same ideas. But it wasn’t the time. I think the thing that made it kairos for Luther was Frederick the Wise.

It’s almost like there had to be the very start of modernity and nation-states for the reformation to happen.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 13, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It’s almost like there had to be the very start of modernity and nation-states for the reformation to happen.

This is a thing that I often think about in history generally.

What separates Luther’s Reformation from other reform movements? What made it click to become a major European event that is worthy of study? Or any momentous historical event, for that matter?

Or, to put it another way, what separated, say, the successful American revolt against British rule from the multiple unsuccessful Irish revolts.

Is there some factor or combination that would’ve resulted in the current chapter titled “The American Revolution” into becoming just the mid-paragraph blurb: “an uprising was put down in 1776 by a combined British and mercenary force.” (as is so often the case with other regions)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thwomp posted:

This is a thing that I often think about in history generally.

What separates Luther’s Reformation from other reform movements? What made it click to become a major European event that is worthy of study? Or any momentous historical event, for that matter?

Or, to put it another way, what separated, say, the successful American revolt against British rule from the multiple unsuccessful Irish revolts.

Is there some factor or combination that would’ve resulted in the current chapter titled “The American Revolution” into becoming just the mid-paragraph blurb: “an uprising was put down in 1776 by a combined British and mercenary force.” (as is so often the case with other regions)

It's always a fortuitous combination. Lighting a match doesn't start a fire unless there's combustible material nearby ready to be lit.

Luther required Frederick and a general sense of German nationalism to succeed. There were others elsewhere that protested against Rome who didn't spark a Reformation because they didn't have the support needed to pull it off.

The Americans would never have succeeded without French help. They were willing to do so because of other international stuff that had nothing to do with the Americans. They were just in the right place at the right time to get it.

For Irish revolutions to succeed, for example, they would have needed help from another source to arm them and distract the British long enough to gain an upper hand. Unfortunately for them, such circumstances never materialized.

It's pretty interesting how much of history is just dumb luck. One random thing morphs into something else because of a third thing completely unrelated to the others and suddenly the world turns upside down.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Groda posted:

Nah, the Finnish people learned about the female genitalia from the Swedes. It saved them from extinction, since they all had the same mullets.

Lies.

Finns are actually a type of fungus that reproduces via spores when exposed to significant heat hence the saunas.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Thwomp posted:

It -was- a long shot, the exact reasons for which are still being debated today. Several historians call it US victory 'almost a miracle' and 'almost up to chance' and say luck, placement and even the weather may have tipped the balance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm struggling to think of another example of a province firmly under imperial control (i.e., held for decades, not a recent conquest which they have a tenuous grasp on) breaking away from their empire without it being indicative of extremely deep problems in the imperial homeland and cascading into widespread losses

e: Greece getting independence from the ottomans is one I just thought of

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 13, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Depends on how you define Deep problems and widespread losses, but Algeria gaining independence from France might count. And gives me the chance to once again recommend the excellent film The battle for Algiers

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm struggling to think of another example of a province firmly under imperial control (i.e., held for decades, not a recent conquest which they have a tenuous grasp on) breaking away from their empire without it being indicative of extremely deep problems in the imperial homeland and cascading into widespread losses

British control over America wasn’t that firm and America wasn’t a conquest of Britain exactly. The part that Britain really HAD recently conquered, French Canada, is precisely the part that didn’t break away in the revolution. The trans-Atlantic settlement of the early modern period was quite weird — I hesitate to say unique but imo it can’t really be compared to traditional land empire building. You see the same sort of thing kicking in all over the Latin Americas in the next few generations, where all the local elites who run the place day-to-day anyway are like “wait, why do we need to be ruled from overseas again”?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The settlement system in the english and spanish empires is also a bit different, no?

North America's population density was such that the east coast was depopulated enough from the plagues that the english would build full on settler colonies. Puritan exiles and former cavaliers would rule New England and the south, and the underclass was largely transported poor people and african slaves. Essentially founded by rando english that England didn't want.

In Spain, for a variety of reasons, the colonies got a lot less settlement from Europe. And Spain didn't send the unwanted, they sent good and loyal catholic spaniards. So you had a small white european aristocracy ruling over a mass of slaves, indigenous, and mixed-race folks.

So while the revolutions may have started the same, the US had enough white anglos who wanted to keep the status quo but it's OUR guys in charge, while in the former spanish empire, you see a lot more radical ideas being tried.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are forgetting France too which did try some settlements but mostly stuck to furs in what is now America

Here is an example

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ste._Genevieve,_Missouri

euphronius fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 13, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

There was definitely a turning point somewhere around the year 1000 where the bishop of rome went from being "just" the most important latin bishop to being the actual boss who got to tell other bishops what to do (at least in theory)

Way earlier than 1000 arguably

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Leo_I

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Depends on how you define Deep problems and widespread losses, but Algeria gaining independence from France might count. And gives me the chance to once again recommend the excellent film The battle for Algiers

You could maybe consider that a cascade after the loss of Indochina. If not, then you could also count the British finally letting go of India.

Other candidates could be Ireland, the Netherlands, and Switzerland.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

You could maybe consider that a cascade after the loss of Indochina. If not, then you could also count the British finally letting go of India.

Other candidates could be Ireland, the Netherlands, and Switzerland.

I'm biased but Algeria feels like a unique case to me. It wasn't (theoretically) a colony. Britain by comparison never, ever had the impression or desire that India would be integral and british.

The cruelty of the algerian war was partially fueled by the desire that they become french. Simply stop using your language and definitely stop being muslim, and we won't even ask about your ethnicity.

euphronius posted:

You are forgetting France too which did try some settlements but mostly stuck to furs in what is now America

Here is an example

I'm an american whose native language is french, I didn't forget we just didn't do poo poo compared to the other two.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 13, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Tias posted:

It -was- a long shot, the exact reasons for which are still being debated today. Several historians call it US victory 'almost a miracle' and 'almost up to chance' and say luck, placement and even the weather may have tipped the balance.

Also, y'know, France.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

cheetah7071 posted:

Worth noting that the Greeks also required massive foreign aid. The British, French, and Russians sent a joint fleet to Greece that helpfully destroyed basically all of the Ottoman Empire's ships in the region. Ultimately, Russia even sent troops to invade the Ottomans.

Also, I think one can safely say that the Ottoman empire of the mid 19th century was dealing with extremely deep problems. The situation could have easily cascaded into widespread losses if the British hadn't been working to prevent Russia and France from carving up the Ottomans.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

euphronius posted:

Here is an example

And Russia, they had a pretty sizeable investment in California and the fur trade around sea otters and such.

California is very interesting from a colonization perspective because you basically had 3 different countries all doing 3 different things before the Spanish become dominant.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 13, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

And Russia, they had a pretty sizeable investment in California and the fur trade around sea otters and such.

California is very interesting from a colonization perspective because you basically had 3 different countries all doing 3 different things before the SpanishAmericans become dominant.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Eh, Spanish colonization and mission practices really set the stage for a lot of the issues that impact native communities and is arguably a major reason why California is constantly on fire currently.

This isn't to say that American policies (and Russian and English) policies didn't have huge impacts and continuing impacts.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 13, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
California is supposed to be constantly on fire, and we've spent the last century putting them all out so fuels pile up and then when a fire escaped it's a mega fire

Natives definitely did intentional burns but in California specifically you don't really need them. Lightning will ignite plenty of fires to keep a healthy ecosystem

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Eh, Spanish colonization and mission practices really set the stage for a lot of the issues that impact native communities and is arguably a major reason why California is constantly on fire currently.

This isn't to say that American policies (and Russian and English) policies didn't have huge impacts and continuing impacts.

It's more that I don't really think the English were competing directly with the Spanish in California. By the time they're messing around in the northern Pacific in significant numbers, their main rival is the United States. I know that Drake visited California and planted a flag or three, but it didn't have any impact as far as setting up a colonial presence. If you wanted to say that three nations were competing over California, the three nations would be Russia, the US and Mexico, and realistically the Russian presence was fairly minimal compared to the US and Mexican presence (although all those tribes they genocided would probably disagree).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Thwomp posted:

The printing press, which was invented a few decades before Luther put up his theses, and which allowed them to be spread widely before they could be suppressed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

California is supposed to be constantly on fire, and we've spent the last century putting them all out so fuels pile up and then when a fire escaped it's a mega fire

Natives definitely did intentional burns but in California specifically you don't really need them. Lightning will ignite plenty of fires to keep a healthy ecosystem

Fire supression efforts basically started the moment Spanish missionaries began bringing in livestock so a bit longer than century.

sullat posted:

It's more that I don't really think the English were competing directly with the Spanish in California. By the time they're messing around in the northern Pacific in significant numbers, their main rival is the United States. I know that Drake visited California and planted a flag or three, but it didn't have any impact as far as setting up a colonial presence. If you wanted to say that three nations were competing over California, the three nations would be Russia, the US and Mexico, and realistically the Russian presence was fairly minimal compared to the US and Mexican presence (although all those tribes they genocided would probably disagree).

I never really made any claim about competition? Just that there were three countries loving around the region and they had significantly different ways of doing so. Granted the English basically showed up and hosed off outside of some long distance fur trade entanglement poo poo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Invasive eucalyptus trees are also an issue. Very oily wood and nothing eats em

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Tunicate posted:

Invasive eucalyptus trees are also an issue. Very oily wood and nothing eats em

That sounds like an argument for bringing in koalas.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I know your joking but bringing in Invasive species to combat another invasive species has historically been an absolutely awful idea

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also koalas are goddamn useless. Terrible animals. Almost as bad as pandas.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Both koalas and pandas are completely fine at exploiting a food source which humans are busily destroying

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Both koalas and pandas are completely fine at exploiting a food source which humans are busily destroying

bamboo is super invasive in a lot of places, bringing in pandas sounds like a great solution

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gaius Marius posted:

I know your joking but bringing in Invasive species to combat another invasive species has historically been an absolutely awful idea

Koalas barely move, they'd be terrible as an invasive species.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Lone Badger posted:

Also koalas are goddamn useless. Terrible animals. Almost as bad as pandas.

Some of them yes, but there are some higher koala-ty ones available

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Pandas will also absolutely murder and eat the gently caress out of small animals, they just don't do it super often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Koalas barely move, they'd be terrible as an invasive species.