Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Math You posted:

Anyone have recs for a good 700x32 mixed use tire? Probably ride a 60/40 road/gravel mix on this bike.

I'd like something that rolls and is fairly plush, while maintaining a decent level of puncture resistance. Not set up for tubeless on this bike if that's a consideration.

Finally wore through enough of the schwable marathon plus I put on this bike like 8 years ago, and am very much looking forward to replacing them. Never got a flat on these bastards but that's about their only good quality. That and the insufferable number of miles it took to wear them significantly enough to consider replacing them.

What kind of gravel?

I’d do a 700x33 Soma Shikoro if the gravel isn’t too ridiculous. They’re undersized it should come out to 32ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

e.pilot posted:

What kind of gravel?

I’d do a 700x33 Soma Shikoro if the gravel isn’t too ridiculous. They’re undersized it should come out to 32ish.

Whatever I come across :shrug: Usually pretty hard packed. I've hit some looser, larger stuff before but you just take it nice and slow on 32s

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Math You posted:

Whatever I come across :shrug: Usually pretty hard packed. I've hit some looser, larger stuff before but you just take it nice and slow on 32s

Yeah deffo the Shikoro then.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Yes, the standard for bikes is presta, and has been for a over a century.

Clearly, the person drilling holes in a rim because they don’t understand latex tubes leak air and blamed the valve that literally millions have no issues with, are right though.

I bet you have some great takes on video game consoles, mac vs pc, iphone vs android, chevy vs ford, et al.

have you tried drilling your rim and switching to a shrader valve?

That’s not right, did you do the tubeless or did a shop? if the latter take it back to them. If the former double check the sealant and possibly add some more, if there’s already a lot in there double check the tape.

Thanks. My friend did it since he has a compressor. I picked up new 37mm tires and sealant at the bike shop. The mechanic recommended 3 bottles of sealant for the two tires, but my friend put only 1 bottle into each. So it could very well be that each tire is a half a bottle short of what should really be in there. I'll add the leftover bottle and then see if that makes a noticeable difference.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m finding my neck gets really tight and sometimes painful after long rides.

Any stretches or warm ups people have found to prevent this?

Same

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m finding my neck gets really tight and sometimes painful after long rides.

Any stretches or warm ups people have found to prevent this?

How long have you been cycling?

Do you grit your teeth while you ride?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Komet posted:

Thanks. My friend did it since he has a compressor. I picked up new 37mm tires and sealant at the bike shop. The mechanic recommended 3 bottles of sealant for the two tires, but my friend put only 1 bottle into each. So it could very well be that each tire is a half a bottle short of what should really be in there. I'll add the leftover bottle and then see if that makes a noticeable difference.

What size are these bottles?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Today's ride supply consumption:
2 tubeless plugs
1 tube
1 CO2 cartridge

:suicide:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

One pound of Endurance refill.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

One pound of Endurance refill.

Can’t lose the air if you don’t have any air in the tire

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Extreme strava flex here

https://twitter.com/matthewcbeaudin/status/1414826086920298499

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Jesus, couldn't they have found him a flat transfer at least?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Jesus, couldn't they have found him a flat transfer at least?

350mi and 12000ft is pretty flat.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gotta get to 50ft/mile before I consider it “rolling”

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

A 2 oz bottle

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

TobinHatesYou posted:

350mi and 12000ft is pretty flat.

Urgh in my head I saw km and meters

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

jamal posted:

Both the troublesome ones were also tanwalls which tend to have one less layer of rubber on the sides
Even this hasn't stopped me from continuing to exclusively use tanwalls.
https://youtu.be/lBZLPx-Ue1o

Just now I'm buying ones that at least claim to be tubeless compatible.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Even this hasn't stopped me from continuing to exclusively use tanwalls.
https://youtu.be/lBZLPx-Ue1o

Just now I'm buying ones that at least claim to be tubeless compatible.

Is there a goblin patrol marching around your neighborhood?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
In my experience, france is basically all rollers and a nightmare.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

What does one eat during a ride like that?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Power meter question. I have an Ultegra 6700 crankset, and the left crank arm says it's 172.5mm. Can I just get any Ultegra-compatible 172.5mm power meter arm like a Stages R8000, or do I need to get one that's specifically for a 6700 crankset.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

What does one eat during a ride like that?
Pain :dadjoke:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
A single clif block the size of a bowling ball.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

EvilJoven posted:

A single clif block the size of a bowling ball.

Funny, on the 200km ride I did on Saturday, I ate 1/2 of a cliff bar every 30 minutes no matter how I felt.

No bonk.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I can't eat clif bars anymore it's like trying to choke down a flavored lump of sawdust held together by glue. IMO the best ride food is just stopping at corner stores for random pieces of fruit, drinks, maybe a sandwich and the occasional entire box of Nerds in one go.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

I can't eat clif bars anymore it's like trying to choke down a flavored lump of sawdust held together by glue. IMO the best ride food is just stopping at corner stores for random pieces of fruit, drinks, maybe a sandwich and the occasional entire box of Nerds in one go.

I can only stomach the peanut and brownie flavors. I did like chocolate almond but it’s gone from the stores.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Not following the tour, I assume this is some extreme tour stage a competitor road? Is that what this is?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MetaJew posted:

Not following the tour, I assume this is some extreme tour stage a competitor road? Is that what this is?

One of the teams had their rider do the entire TdF route at his own pace, including biking between the stages.
Turns out he can cover much more ground that way, including that one day ride to finish it off.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I trained my gut to handle nothing but gels and liquid nutrition like Beta Fuel and Superfuel. Hammer flasks can hold 6 gels, so you don’t have to fumble around with wrappers and accidentally spill goo everywhere.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

CommanderApaul posted:

Power meter question. I have an Ultegra 6700 crankset, and the left crank arm says it's 172.5mm. Can I just get any Ultegra-compatible 172.5mm power meter arm like a Stages R8000, or do I need to get one that's specifically for a 6700 crankset.

Technically any left-sided road Hollowtech2 crank arm will work, regardless of generation or spec level.

But if you care enough about your performance to buy a power meter, you owe it to yourself to switch to 165mm cranks at the same time.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
https://twitter.com/RoadBikeAlpinis/status/1414725473553190917?s=19

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

bicievino posted:

Technically any left-sided road Hollowtech2 crank arm will work, regardless of generation or spec level.

But if you care enough about your performance to buy a power meter, you owe it to yourself to switch to 165mm cranks at the same time.

Longer cranks feel better to me. My knees start to feel uncomfortable if I don't extend them enough. I also can't stand using elliptical machines because I feel like the platforms don't move in a large enough path.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

PolishPandaBear posted:

Longer cranks feel better to me. My knees start to feel uncomfortable if I don't extend them enough. I also can't stand using elliptical machines because I feel like the platforms don't move in a large enough path.

Nothing is stopping you from getting the knee extension you prefer. It’s just a minor tweak in saddle position.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MetaJew posted:

https://alttour.ef.com/

3424 miles in 18 days.
219262ft of ascent.

On his own. While carrying a tent. Most of it in sandals with carbon fiber inserts.

https://twitter.com/Lidudumalingani/status/1415193071860469762

Man is unreal.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Probably eating baguette sandwiches and gallettes with sausages the whole way. Maybe some coq au vin, beef stew, some delicious-rear end stuff.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Clif makes a coconut and almond butter nut butter bar that I have not yet gotten tired of eating. Unlike a regular clif bar, the middle is almond butter which changes the texture from “very dense block” to “dense outer shell with nice middle”. It makes a big difference for me.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

what is this witchcraft

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Bilirubin posted:

what is this witchcraft

Retro Directe drive! Pedal backward to use your climbing gear, pedal forward to use your regular gear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I'm quite surprised but apparently this is an approved operation by Park, even if their 'burr inspection' is exceedingly casual for the sake of moving the video along:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMRj0jEef0&t=220s
lol now ask the rim oem how they feel about it :-D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

It's not really the color of sun sleeves that keeps you cool it's the having some sort of layer between you and the sun that's trapping moisture that's evaporating off while riding.
The color helps but you’re mainlynafter the diffusion/SPF layer.
I’ve no idea how you wouldn’t notice the difference but it’s not the end of the world either, and they don’t have to be black either.

iospace posted:

Today's ride supply consumption:
2 tubeless plugs
1 tube
1 CO2 cartridge

:suicide:
goddamn, take it easy

Shadowhand00 posted:

In my experience, france is basically all at least rollers and a nightmare.
fixed. There’s some flat-ish places around paris and bordeaux but that’s about it.
My walking commute in high school was ~1km and >150m of elevation.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 14, 2021