Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

They didn’t even say that. It’s just county-operated hospitals.

I don’t know what proportion of Los Angeles hospital capacity is operated by the county, and for all we know, at this phase of the pandemic, patients are being directed to COVID wards at specific hospitals. It’s certainly happened elsewhere.

Low income (probably most at risk) people use the county hospitals.

There are no COVID specific wards at hospitals in LA that they would be directed to.

LA county hospitals are quite big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

7of7 posted:

The semantics are really something these days. Nobody vaccinated has been hospitalized in LA but that doesn't mean nobody has been infected or ill.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1415107269411360768

Sure but "infected or ill" isn't necessarily a serious problem. It could be, but vaccination appears to make a difference there. I'd prefer not to get infected at all but it's not the end of the world if I get infected with no symptoms or minor short term symptoms. If getting COVID means there's a legitimate chance I go to the hospital, that's a big problem. If getting COVID means I'm fatigued for a couple days and have a cough but that's it, that's not a huge deal for me. It appears that vaccination makes the latter case far more likely and it's dishonest not to acknowledge those differences in hospitalization.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

gohuskies posted:

Sure but "infected or ill" isn't necessarily a serious problem. It could be, but vaccination appears to make a difference there. I'd prefer not to get infected at all but it's not the end of the world if I get infected with no symptoms or minor short term symptoms. If getting COVID means there's a legitimate chance I go to the hospital, that's a big problem. If getting COVID means I'm fatigued for a couple days and have a cough but that's it, that's not a huge deal for me. It appears that vaccination makes the latter case far more likely and it's dishonest not to acknowledge those differences in hospitalization.

The original quote in the BNO tweet said vaccination was preventing infection and illness, something that’s clearly not always the case as the article I linked showed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

7of7 posted:

The original quote in the BNO tweet said vaccination was preventing infection and illness, something that’s clearly not always the case as the article I linked showed.

That’s kinda arguing semantics.

It’s clearly preventing hospitalizations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

7of7 posted:

I read the point of the tweet being where it said that "None of the county-operated hospitals in Los Angeles County have admitted a single COVID-19 patient who was fully vaccinated" which is to say that the vaccines reduce hospitalization. And the article you linked agrees, saying that "None of the workers infected were hospitalized, nor were there any fatalities." That matters.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

One of the things I love about this thread is it's like a microcosm of The Goon Mental Health Experience

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

This has kicked off a chain of transmission that led to a guy going to the MCG while infectious with the delta variant so I’m assuming that will end up being a super spreader event.

Not the first time the MCG (or Etihad) have been contact sites, and it hasn't resulted in spread in the past, so I wouldn't assume it will this time. It's outdoors. I'd be more worried about Highpoint.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are you guys arguing for the sake of arguing? Cuz goddamn.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

Not the first time the MCG (or Etihad) have been contact sites, and it hasn't resulted in spread in the past, so I wouldn't assume it will this time. It's outdoors. I'd be more worried about Highpoint.

One person who was shopping at the Craigieburn Coles at the same time as one of the NSW family members has already tested positive so any shopping centre has to be regarded as high risk.

Yet again, covid testing at Fairfield is an absolute clusterfuck with delays stretching hours.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

freebooter posted:

The previous times it was covid classic though right? I think this is the first time anyone has been huffing delta around the G

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
There's another removalist exposure site in South Australia but authorities are having trouble working out where due to language barriers. Shouldn't interpreters have been called in on day ?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Philthy posted:

Are you guys arguing for the sake of arguing? Cuz goddamn.

I know right, just let people post a vaguely optimistic tweet for the baby Jesus’s sake,

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

7of7 posted:

Yep, everybody loves to cherry pick statistics, 3 out of 5 dentists in your region agree.

It’s on the same page, quoted multiple times. It’s a screenshot of a news conference with Dr Chris Whitty the chief medical officer of England patently explaining that the vaccines work against delta.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I know right, just let people post a vaguely optimistic tweet for the baby Jesus’s sake,

It was a pretty straight forward tweet TBH

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don’t get it. Delta sweeping though unvaccinated populations like wildfire is a very real and horrific thing that healthy brained people should absolutely be worrying about.

Attempting to prove the vaccines don’t work in the face of all the evidence is being an anti-vaxer, no matter if you have had the jab yourself because that’s just you saying “I had it but it does nothing”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not anti‐vaccine to observe that the SARS‐CoV‐2 vaccines behave like every other vaccine on the planet.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Platystemon posted:

It’s not anti‐vaccine to observe that the SARS‐CoV‐2 vaccines behave like every other vaccine on the planet.

Well first of all they don’t because every single vaccine on the planet behaves differently.

That’s not what people are doing, they are desperately hunting for evidence that “proves” that the vaccines don’t prevent hospitalisations, (AZ in particular) presumably because they are simply being nasty and want to freak the vaccinated out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

learnincurve posted:

presumably because they are simply being nasty and want to freak the vaccinated out

Yeah this is a problem with your worldview.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I’m not the one who thinks the MMR jab and all the covid jabs behave the same way here.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Yeh I’m not the one who thinks the MMR jab and all the covid jabs behave the same way here.

I'm honestly kinda confused what you are arguing about.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Vaccines don’t all behave the same, that’s not how vaccines work?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Learnincurve I have to ask if at some point you sold your account to pick because 6 of the last 10 posts are yours and that’s just the kind of ridiculous bullshit that she would pull.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MarcusSA posted:

I'm honestly kinda confused what you are arguing about.

IDK either. My point from the last page was that being fully vaccinated doesn't totally eliminate the chance of hospitalisation. That was not an argument against the effectiveness of any vaccine. I was speculating whether overlapping vaccines would further reduce the likelihood of hospitalisation, with admittedlybad math. I suspect one way or another we shall soon have a wealth of data on the subject.

Obviously everyone should get fully vaccinated to the degree they are able.

e: sorry for the confusion and derail.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 14, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m so confused. This is the post I’m responding to.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/different-types-vaccines

Platystemon posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The SARS‐CoV‐2 vaccines behave in a manner not inconsistent with every other vaccine on the planet.

Is that better? I feel like I’m giving a deposition here.

If I said that a particular æroplane behaved “like every other plane on the planet”, no one would take that to mean that I believed that the Wright Brothers, Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Doolittle, Chuck Yeager, Burt Rutan, and Chesley Sullenberger all flew identical planes, or even reused the same one.

They would take it to mean something more like how it was meant, that all planes act via the same physical principles and are subject to similar shortcomings. None of them are Wonder Woman’s Invisible Jet.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 14, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
But that’s just completely different to what you said :/

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
do you fucks sleep

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Got my first jab with Pfizer and while my 5G reception sucks, it managed to interfer with the wireless card terminal when I bought a sandwich.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The previous times it was covid classic though right? I think this is the first time anyone has been huffing delta around the G

Yeah but it's still outdoors, not remotely at full capacity, they make people enter through different gates and at different times etc - the people who went to the shops probably brushed past more strangers than the guy who went to the footy. Anyway #ThanksGladys

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Lolie posted:

There's another removalist exposure site in South Australia but authorities are having trouble working out where due to language barriers. Shouldn't interpreters have been called in on day ?

From what the Victorian covid guy was saying it sounds like the removalists are being deliberately hard to deal with. There’s plenty of interpreters available unless they speak something super obscure. I wonder if everyone who ends up locked down can launch a class action against the stupid motherfuckers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

From what the Victorian covid guy was saying it sounds like the removalists are being deliberately hard to deal with. There’s plenty of interpreters available unless they speak something super obscure. I wonder if everyone who ends up locked down can launch a class action against the stupid motherfuckers.

I guess the powers that be are being forced to play nice with them so far in order to squeeze out all the info they can but it sounds like they're champing at the bit for the chance to prosecute them for breaking the covid laws:

Victoria's COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar posted:

Books will be thrown when it's time, when it's appropriate to throw them. I'm exceptionally frustrated at the pace and transparency of the information coming from the removalists' exposure, that's been a real matter of concern.

Also another 3 cases have been detected in Melbourne tonight, that bring's today's total up to 11 community spread cases so far. It's starting to sound pretty inevitable that we'll be going back into lockdown.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-14/victoria-records-11-new-covid-cases/100291284

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also another 3 cases have been detected in Melbourne tonight, that bring's today's total up to 11 community spread cases so far. It's starting to sound pretty inevitable that we'll be going back into lockdown.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-14/victoria-records-11-new-covid-cases/100291284

I'm so sorry.

The new cases also mean that the apartment building lockdown has been extended.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 14, 2021

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I thought "removalist" was the name for some dumb chud party fragment, looked it up and it's just movers

I hope y'all can get your vaccines soon because goddamn are people just willfully dumb and think rules are for other people

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pyrtanis posted:

I thought "removalist" was the name for some dumb chud party fragment, looked it up and it's just movers

I hope y'all can get your vaccines soon because goddamn are people just willfully dumb and think rules are for other people

I was just looking up this exact same thing lol

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Free Palestine (from your rear end)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1415091823438147588

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

I'm fully vaccinated but i just got a respirator to wear to the grocery store because i don't see anyone except the workers wearing masks anymore, and i would prefer to not get a variant at all because i have autoimmune issues already and the idea of long covid is terrifying even if i don't get hospitalized.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Even if it's 100% factually true, I can't help but feel presenting the stats in such a nakedly political way only serves to entrench the battlelines on the issue.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I’m concerned about vaccine effectiveness of 80%ish against infection because even asymptomatic infection can lead to long covid. It’s great that vaccines are so protective against hospitalization, however, if I can still get long covid that’s a pretty bad outcome too.

It is not anti-vax to look for info on the reduced effectiveness of vaccines. It is necessary in order to understand risk of long covid.

edit: this is a response to the sentiment here

learnincurve posted:

I don’t get it. Delta sweeping though unvaccinated populations like wildfire is a very real and horrific thing that healthy brained people should absolutely be worrying about.

Attempting to prove the vaccines don’t work in the face of all the evidence is being an anti-vaxer, no matter if you have had the jab yourself because that’s just you saying “I had it but it does nothing”

also while I'm responding to learnincurve

learnincurve posted:

This will be the second time a huge wave has been brought to me, a person who did everything right, from the south.

I have constantly painful skin because of allergies to masks and yet these guys are acting like covid does not exist, so what’s the point? I got my kids vaccinated and jumped through loopholes for the 17 year old, so that’s it I’m just done with masks, fat Dave painted as a giant flag doesn’t have big sores behind his ears so why should I?

e:I’m just angry that I did all this right and it was utterly pointless because it’s one rule for me and one rule for the white men.

if it's the ear loops that are getting you try one of these https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Holder-Anti-Slip-Buckle-Strap/dp/B08B8X75CC/ or get a mask where the straps go fully around your head instead of around your ears

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Jeza posted:

Even if it's 100% factually true, I can't help but feel presenting the stats in such a nakedly political way only serves to entrench the battlelines on the issue.

I'm sure fox News will have an outrage piece on it.