Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Camrath posted:

Order status: received.

:D

Thanks to everyone who has ordered so far!

Now you know who I am!!! :ohdear:

Most CineD posters know who I am or can find out easily enough anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My wife bought me marmite fudge for Christmas one year and even as someone who could eat the stuff out of the jar with a spoon it was loving disgusting.

Godspeed, braver goons than I.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was in Bath the other week and kept wondering into a little fudge shop but never got round to buying any so I've ordered some presumably much better UKMT fudge to make up for it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

History Comes Inside! posted:

My wife bought me marmite fudge for Christmas one year and even as someone who could eat the stuff out of the jar with a spoon it was loving disgusting.

Godspeed, braver goons than I.

Goddammit, and here was me being smug about pushing back the boundaries between fudge science and fudge madness.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Camrath posted:

Goddammit, and here was me being smug about pushing back the boundaries between fudge science and fudge madness.

I like marmite peanut butter, and I even was okay with that kinda weird marmite hummus so I for one am confident that marmite fudge is cutting edge science rather than madness.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I do think that sometimes it seemed that Banks just really liked writing overly graphic scenes because the culture novel with the virtual hells had some pretty hosed up stuff in there that didn't really seem to need to be described in quite such detail to make the point that hell is, in fact, bad.

I can't actually remember most of the novel though so this may infact have been a point about religions gloating over sinners being punished.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I do think that sometimes it seemed that Banks just really liked writing overly graphic scenes

Beefeater1980 posted:

the Wasp Factory
I don't disagree.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Swindon/status/1415042348007006215?s=19

I know it's skwawkbox but big oof.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If you're on Twitter and wondering why #craftywank is trending

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1414585065066139652

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darren Grimes whacked it in a classroom full of kids, pass it on.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's instructed his lawyer to file all comments about his wanking habits under a subpeener.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Azad is basically a PPE.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Szmitten posted:

Hope he wasn't the teacher.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

forkboy84 posted:

SDLP MP Colum Eastwood has used parliamentary privilege to name Soldier F in the HoC.

"Over the past couple of weeks his name has been plastered on Free Derry Corner, it has gone viral on social media.

"The people of Derry know his name. There is no reason for him to be granted anonymity.

"No other perpetrator involved would be given anonymity, for some reason Soldier F is a protected species."

https://twitter.com/ethaninflux/status/1414971586071891972?s=20

(Tip of the hat to whoever that Shadow Minister is for giving a loving worthless response)

If Dave Cleary didn't want his name out there then Dave Cleary shouldn't have committed murder.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Szmitten posted:

Is this today's main character? That's a very fun thread & replies to read

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Are those tweet quotes real? I definitely believe Darren Grimes is dumb enough to react like that but it does all look a bit too good to be true.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Pistol_Pete posted:

Are those tweet quotes real? I definitely believe Darren Grimes is dumb enough to react like that but it does all look a bit too good to be true.

It's as real as Cameron loving that pig, Swinson murdering squirrels, and Ian Austin noncing dogs.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

So 100% trufakt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Jo 'nuke the squirrels' Swinson

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Controversy in Manchester as pub declares monster munch, scampi fries 'not-crisps' for butty purposes.

Seems like a fun idea though.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

£2.25 for two slices of bread, a smear of butter and 5 monster munch?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

happyhippy posted:

£2.25 for two slices of bread, a smear of butter and 5 monster munch?

Gets the pub trending on local social media, and the name in the paper. Free advertising and all it costs was a made up menu with a dumb idea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lumber prices have increased sawdust prices, which is the key ingredient in both pub bread and scampi fries.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

keep punching joe posted:

It's as real as Cameron loving that pig, Swinson murdering squirrels, and Ian Austin noncing dogs.

Specifically in this case, 'wurrance' is perhaps related to the 'Wurrance Telephene' who broke the Swinson Squirrel Stoning Story.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1415213885234237440

classic Hodges

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Might I suggest: :jerkbag:

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Red Oktober posted:

I really liked Inversions, where you piece together right at the end that it's a Special Circumstances mission seen from the other side.

:aaaaa:

ok, I think I need to go back and re-read these from the start. I do remember eventually figuring out what was happening in Use of Weapons, but I think I just read them all when I was too drat young and a lot of detail went right over my head.

I am of course vaguely worried it will *still* go right over my head. I don't think I've ever been good at noticing subtle details throughout the years

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

classic Hodges
Best take:
https://twitter.com/jasebyjason/status/1415217602104897536

Worst take:
https://twitter.com/jonnygould/status/1415216560826880002

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

May I suggest the full Rimmer salute.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't wait for these guys to brainstorm a new gesture that "includes Jewish people" and end up with something incredibly antisemitic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wtf?

And like changing the form of gesture would suddenly make it acceptable to people who don’t like it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

This isn't related to anything but if anyone ITT is looking for a fun videogame to play, they just released the 4.10 version of Warzone 2100, which is free and open source. If you played it as a kid it's better than it was, and the headline feature of 4.10 is the new campaign balance and it's actually really fun, genuinely a great videogame and it's free, you can probably spend a good number of hours going through the campaign, and the music is stuck in my head to this day.

https://wz2100.net/
This post endorsed by noted Good Lad Tyrone Mings

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Everyone knows that kneeling is a symbol of hating jews. That's why the queen makes you kneel.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Get me a time machine to send me back to when all the good Labour MP's got talked around to sending their kids to Private school and Oxford so I can slap the poo poo out of them until they see the error of their ways.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

therattle posted:

Wtf?

And like changing the form of gesture would suddenly make it acceptable to people who don’t like it.
I honestly have no clue, it sounds as though they're buying into a lie spread in part by white nationalists last year that BLM is part of the greater sphere of Louis Farrakhan nonsense, when in reality they've done a good job of keeping him and his bad ideas well away from it.

You're right though, most of the people claiming the symbolism is bad or Marxist or whatever will magically find something wrong with any new action.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

andyf posted:

:aaaaa:

ok, I think I need to go back and re-read these from the start. I do remember eventually figuring out what was happening in Use of Weapons, but I think I just read them all when I was too drat young and a lot of detail went right over my head.

I am of course vaguely worried it will *still* go right over my head. I don't think I've ever been good at noticing subtle details throughout the years

It's little things like realising the dagger Vosill wears on her leg which loses a jewel after the torturers are suddenly murdered is a knife missile, and when she disappears off the ship at the end after declining the invitation to dinner "citing an indisposition due to special circumstances" she's been picked up by the Culture again.

I also read most of them far too young (Dad's a big fan), and Use of Weapons went completely over my head. I keep meaning to read the lot again, the only ones I think I really 'got' where Player of Games, Consider Phlebas, Inversions and Against a Dark Background.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 14, 2021

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I honestly have no clue, it sounds as though they're buying into a lie spread in part by white nationalists last year that BLM is part of the greater sphere of Louis Farrakhan nonsense, when in reality they've done a good job of keeping him and his bad ideas well away from it.

You're right though, most of the people claiming the symbolism is bad or Marxist or whatever will magically find something wrong with any new action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRM3lFRwRI

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/marcusjdl/status/1415226212419522561

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Looks like it's going to be an incredibly destructive few days in parliament, with the Higher Education Bill last night, Saj trying to push the new NHS Health & Care bill through it's 2nd reading, and a tory mp scheduling a ten minute rule motion next tuesday about the 'farmers can shoot dogs' bill, presumably to suggest amending it to let farmers into peoples homes to shoot their dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That Hodges thread is a wild ride, just blindly and in all confidence telling black people that actually they don't understand the mechanisms of racism.

OwlFancier posted:

This isn't related to anything but if anyone ITT is looking for a fun videogame to play, they just released the 4.10 version of Warzone 2100, which is free and open source. If you played it as a kid it's better than it was, and the headline feature of 4.10 is the new campaign balance and it's actually really fun, genuinely a great videogame and it's free, you can probably spend a good number of hours going through the campaign, and the music is stuck in my head to this day.

https://wz2100.net/

Oh drat, I remember this. I don't much like strategy games, but the head of Pumpkin Studios was a friend of my dad back in the day, so I got a look around the studio and a free PS1 copy of the game back in the day; I still have it on my shelf.