Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
A China DLC would have to be a substantial expansion pack, almost a second game being added on (though I'm sure a lot of the systems it introduced could be used to flavor India/Indochina, as well as new internal management stuff most likely). I'd rather wait/pay extra for a Chinese region that played in a unique manner than a Rajas redux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Paradox will:
1- Add China
2- Be forced to add mechanics specifically to stop China from conquering the rest of the world
3- Try to rebalance those mechanics with every patch, always making China too strong or too weak.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I kinda doubt China will happen, the amount of politics they have to deal with to sell the game in China if they include China is probably just too much for most developers anymore. It's really sort of lose/lose for them, they either go too far with appeasement and look like they're kowtowing to a totalitarian state or they get banned in a huge market and probably don't get any noticeable boost in the rest of the world for it.

I also very much agree that there's a lot left to do with the map that is before they expand it. I'd love to see an Alexiad themed expansion that revamps the Byzantine empire into it's own sort of government and also lets you play landless characters. I'd also like to see the rest of Africa, and Africa focused flavor packs. Really anything except more viking stuff.

scaterry posted:

New summer teaser! We now know every ethos.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-summer-teaser-2.1482137/
Egalitarian's the clear winner here, though I think inventive (from dd64) is equal in power. That +5 vassal limit is very strong.

Hard to judge Courtly without knowing much about what grandeur numbers mean in game, but yeah Egalitarian seems very good. Although going through all the stuff the temptation is strong to pick a very isolationist/xenophobic set of traits and camp out on a mountain range someplace and just constantly glare at the rest of the world from the parapets.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Frionnel posted:

Paradox will:
1- Add China
2- Be forced to add mechanics specifically to stop China from conquering the rest of the world
3- Try to rebalance those mechanics with every patch, always making China too strong or too weak.

That will surely happen

edit: but I think that will come after republics DLC. Islam DLC , India DLC and hordes DLC

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I really hope they don't do a China expansion to be clear. In fact I'd kind of be up for them doing a contraction and removing india from the game again.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I liked the Jade dragon approach of it being an off map entity you could interact with. I didn't like all the artifact and associated stat inflation aspect of it but the general concept of 'here is this foreign superpower which mostly does not care about you or anyone you know" was imo good.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

scaterry posted:

New summer teaser! We now know every ethos.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-summer-teaser-2.1482137/
Egalitarian's the clear winner here, though I think inventive (from dd64) is equal in power. That +5 vassal limit is very strong.

Basques being egalitarian seems a bit weird. I don't know much about their history but it doens't make sense to me that a culture that speaks a language unrelated to anything else in the world that and has fiercely maintained their independence for thousands of years against outside influences would get a bonus to the incorporation of other cultures. Hell, egalitarian itself feels like a weird name for the bonuses the ethos provides, surely something like cosmopolitan would fit better?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

scaterry posted:

RE: the maa discussion, I highly recommend reading this: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/combat-mechanics-explained.1434737/
Heavy cavalry aren't as good as you'd think, it's very hard to stack buildings (need jungle/farmlands) and the terrain modifier applies before percentage modifiers, so they really do get neutered in terrain. Cultural-specific Heavy Infantry are the best stat-wise (Varangian Veterans, Mubarizun) and they have the second best building scaling. Unfortunately for them, Horse Archers exist, and as long as they exist you really shouldn't build anything other than Horse Archers and siege units. If you want something cost-effective, Ayyar and Metsänvartija are pretty good.

Nope, terrain modifiers are applied after buildings.

The buildings that give boosts for Armored Cav are rare it's true, it makes the relative scarcity of Farmlands really stand out. But it's not all that hard to gather up a bunch of farmland counties either. And the duchy buildings are where the real money is anywhere, and those can be built regardless of terrain.

Serephina posted:

One detail that Pitt's (otherwise excellent) post bypassed was cost-effectiveness. Playing the long term is super fun and what the game's all about, but when starting out you probably have a lot more MAA slots than you have gold to fill them, nevermind maxing out multiple duchy buildings. In such scenarios going straight into cavalry is possibly wasteful, you can get a lot more bang-for-buck by (eg) having archers fighting behind levies. But yea, mixing MAA is bad don't do it, which is horribly counterintuitive =/

The cost effectiveness is an interesting point, and I often do go Armored Footmen in the early game because cav are so god damned expensive. Going archers instead of AF seems dubious to me though, unless you don't have the tech for AF; I mostly play 1066 starts and so I'm not sure how common it is in 867.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
How is CK3 looking now compared to CK2? As a player who has never played CK2.

I read the post on page 5 and it looks like a tonne of CK2 DLC content was in the base game which is awesome.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Nope, terrain modifiers are applied after buildings.

The buildings that give boosts for Armored Cav are rare it's true, it makes the relative scarcity of Farmlands really stand out. But it's not all that hard to gather up a bunch of farmland counties either. And the duchy buildings are where the real money is anywhere, and those can be built regardless of terrain.

The cost effectiveness is an interesting point, and I often do go Armored Footmen in the early game because cav are so god damned expensive. Going archers instead of AF seems dubious to me though, unless you don't have the tech for AF; I mostly play 1066 starts and so I'm not sure how common it is in 867.

Huh, TIL! That's really good info. Good point re: duchy buildings-- armored horsemen have the best scaling duchy buildings. It's a little awkward diversifying an AH comp because both of your buffed units are countered by pikeman, but luckily pikeman stats suck until late medieval so its probably ok.

Someone made a spreadsheet of MAA values (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tgCca3DCKtpJ3sNeCZBeQl5aK55Kxmx9ENtJaIeQmKY/edit#gid=1734818689) that's incredibly useful to compute cost-effectiveness/combat ability. Metsänvartija in particular are annoying because the culture that starts with them is entirely in beneficial terrain, along with it being one of the most cost-effective units. It is slightly outdated-- it doesn't have dlc maa, and the light horseman values are slightly off.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Phlegmish posted:

The modifier system is another thing I'm not quite clear on - if I build structures in a county I own, do my units get the bonuses no matter what, including from cities and temples? I'd assume so, since I don't see where else they'd go. Does it matter if I'm holding it as a vassal?
You only get the bonuses if you directly control the holding. So you will not get city bonuses - they will go to the Baron (which then pass a portion of gold to you). Temples you will get if you are running a Secular religion and you hold it.

As a vassal, you get your county/duchy building income/levy bonuses, but you will pay some of those as tax to your liege. The MaA bonuses only go to the direct holder of the holding (so the top level liege doesn't get a combined bonus from every vassal).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Red_Fred posted:

I read the post on page 5 and it looks like a tonne of CK2 DLC content was in the base game which is awesome.

It's really fun! I've had a great time hunting Norse achievements since the Norse flavor pack came out, and the upcoming real expansion that expands cultures and allows the creation of hybrid cultures looks like it will be pretty awesome. I have like 3 or 4 different achievements I want to go for but only after this new expansion drops, because it looks like it will add so much more flavor.

e: I never played CK2. I wanted to get into it, but arrived way too late and found it opaque and really overwhelming with its systems and UI and everything.

How are u fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 14, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

My CK2 experience was very limited so I can't compare the two. CK3 is fun as poo poo, but everywhere is very samey, and very easy, so there's less replay value I think. The first 10 or so campaigns you play are loving wild tho.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There was a typo in my post! I have played CK2, about 60 hours or something. 20 of those were what it took to actually click for me.

Ill probably pick up 3 then as by the time I get end game it will be even more fleshed out.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Im trying to unite a Catholic Ireland in the tutorial scenario and Im succesful conquering and converting all the counties except for that one to the West that's a vassal of England, because every time I try to conquer them the English just come and kick my rear end. Any tips?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
marry a daughter off to the king of france and ask him to kick their rear end for you

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Smart, Ima give that a shot ty

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Im trying to unite a Catholic Ireland in the tutorial scenario and Im succesful conquering and converting all the counties except for that one to the West that's a vassal of England, because every time I try to conquer them the English just come and kick my rear end. Any tips?

Marry your daughter to the king of France/Castille/HRE/whatever Scandinavian monarchy is big and kick their butt.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alternatively wait until they are in a succession war where they have like one county. Maybe "help that process along as well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also have you tried seducing the pope?
Edit: or swaying him so he can give you comically large bags of money.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 14, 2021

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

drat 1066 Lasko Duke of Transylvania was really fun, I had a great time. I know I could've gone way bigger but this was my first real all the way playthrough. A few times I totally hosed up and my heir was Orthodox which lead to immediate liberation wars twice on succession.

Couple of questions..

1) Is it fun to do anything other than Norse BS on a 867 start?
2) I want to do something in Italy I think - does it suck to be in the HRE? Is it a bitch to become independent? Is it even worth it? Does it just uhh depend on what I'm going after?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

That's disappointing and lame that mixing MaA is effectively less powerful than just maxing out all MaA slots with armored footsoldiers or better. Do we have a hope that Paradox will find a way to fix this or will they shrug since most casual players will likely never notice this?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

nuketulsa posted:

You can start as a Zoroastrian character. You can play a Muslim character in the middle east without constantly being under the shadow of the Seljuk Turks. There's also a Hindu leader in 867 that controls six of the seven holy sites for Hinduism. Getting all seven unlocks an achievement, but of course you can also play around a very powerful Hindu religion from the start of the game.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

trapped mouse posted:

You can start as a Zoroastrian character. You can play a Muslim character in the middle east without constantly being under the shadow of the Seljuk Turks. There's also a Hindu leader in 867 that controls six of the seven holy sites for Hinduism. Getting all seven unlocks an achievement, but of course you can also play around a very powerful Hindu religion from the start of the game.

Neat, I will try that. One thing I really enjoyed was reading the history of the places I was conquering/involved with and I don’t really know poo poo about middle age India. I’ll give it a shot. :)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

nuketulsa posted:

Depends on what you think is fun. I just make a custom count in some location I haven't played yet and see what random disgrace I can bring on my legacy through struggling from a little backwoods nobody up the ranks. Or pick someone in a civilized part of the world and see how long you can play tall or something. Honestly I think the norse are so easy mode after all the buffs they got they are the least fun to play in that start once you've done it just to see the unique flavor stuff they get.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Femtosecond posted:

That's disappointing and lame that mixing MaA is effectively less powerful than just maxing out all MaA slots with armored footsoldiers or better. Do we have a hope that Paradox will find a way to fix this or will they shrug since most casual players will likely never notice this?

Just do whatever with your MaA, it won't matter that much unless you're trying to win a crusade by yourself. I personally just build whatever my cultural MaA is, plus the one that gets boosted by the same building that boosts my cultural MaA. So heavy infantry+spearmen, archer+skirmisher, or light cav+heavy cav.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

While I wouldn’t consider myself casual I will still never do this. I like a little of each depending on the geography.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Playing as a count or duke in the HRE can be a lot of fun. There are plenty of ways to expand, and you can scheme your way into getting elected emperor if you're savvy. If you play on the southern end you could try to take over the rest of Italy, form the kingdom, and try to lead an independence faction.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Playing as a vassal in any of the large empires or kingdoms can be really fun. There is a lot of flexibility in goals and your only real danger is other vassals, many of whom are easy to ally with since they aren't big time independent rulers.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

nuketulsa posted:

2) I want to do something in Italy I think - does it suck to be in the HRE? Is it a bitch to become independent? Is it even worth it? Does it just uhh depend on what I'm going after?

Being the HRE is great, being a small vassal in a big realm is cool in general.

Femtosecond posted:

Well people definitely know about it, there's big threads on the forums about it. As for whether Paradox will fix it, that's much harder to say. This is pure speculation on my part but I really don't think they appreciated that MaA would be so powerful as to make levies basically useless. The AI absolutely doesn't understand this, plus the AI defines make them build a varied MaA comp which is inevitably terrible, nor do they prioritize funding MaA to begin with (and disband them all when they get into debt, which, yikes). So I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox made some changes there eventually, but so far they have not mentioned it at all.

I've experimented with changing those defines; personally I think it would be way more fun if the AI leaned hard on its relevant cultural/regional MaA lines, and you can make them do this a little bit. Powerful Kings and Emperors are a lot scarier when their army contains 1000 Armored Cav let me tell you.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Weren't armored cav extremely powerful on the battlefield in real-life history at this point?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Various Meat Products posted:

Playing as a count or duke in the HRE can be a lot of fun. There are plenty of ways to expand, and you can scheme your way into getting elected emperor if you're savvy. If you play on the southern end you could try to take over the rest of Italy, form the kingdom, and try to lead an independence faction.

I find if I play in the HRE I just always end up getting elected emperor even if I don't really want it.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So as far a MaA go for a Spaniard, should I do most Caballeros and Heavy Cav + some variety of catapults? I've got a mix of Caballeros + Pikes + Archers right now. Thinking of dropping the Archers for Heavy Cav but keeping the Pikes since I fight on hills against other Caballeros all the time.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Whoopz I made my mayor a count because he had really good stewardship stats but apparently that means I created a weirdo republic thing. What does this mean? Is this bad and I should try to revoke title?

from the wiki it certainly seems like it's good for my bottom line

quote:

Republic vassals always provide 20% taxes and 10% levies to their liege. Republican succession is by AI appointment; usually, a newly-created Lowborn character will take over.

The downside is that I don't really have much control over fiddling with their ancestors and succession.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PittTheElder posted:

Well people definitely know about it, there's big threads on the forums about it. As for whether Paradox will fix it, that's much harder to say. This is pure speculation on my part but I really don't think they appreciated that MaA would be so powerful as to make levies basically useless. The AI absolutely doesn't understand this, plus the AI defines make them build a varied MaA comp which is inevitably terrible, nor do they prioritize funding MaA to begin with (and disband them all when they get into debt, which, yikes). So I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox made some changes there eventually, but so far they have not mentioned it at all.

I didint knew they disbanded them when they get negative (which seems to happen a lot with the AI), thats really dumb

But are MaA really that strong to make levies useless? Thats wanst my experience in my 2 long games I had yet, but perhaps Im not using them right

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they absolutely destroy levies after you have 3 upgrades on like 3 or 4 of their buildings

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I liked the Jade dragon approach of it being an off map entity you could interact with. I didn't like all the artifact and associated stat inflation aspect of it but the general concept of 'here is this foreign superpower which mostly does not care about you or anyone you know" was imo good.

This approach was great if you were playing in the West, but was less good the closer you got to China proper. India and especially Tibet (and now in CKIII, Pagan) really should have more extensive relationships with China than occasional pilgrimages. This problem will only get worse if they add any non-Chinese Eastern territories (Khmer being the obvious one) while lacking significant Chinese interaction.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they absolutely destroy levies after you have 3 upgrades on like 3 or 4 of their buildings

Maybe thats what Im doing wrong than

I didint upgrade buildings much until late game when I was so powerful it didint made a difference anymore

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I know you can raise MaA separately, but is there a way to raise only like half your levies? If I raise them all I'm like -20 golds a month so I usually hit "raise MaA" then move them over then raise the levies then split the levies off until I'm not hemorrhaging golds.

Is there an easier way to raise army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Weren't armored cav extremely powerful on the battlefield in real-life history at this point?

Absolutely they were, to the point of being absolutely dominant on the battlefield. To the extent that it was ever planned, the entire point of feudalism was to be an organization that could maintain and levy large amounts of armored cavalry in a non-monetized society. That's why I would love to see feudal contracts switching to a service contribution, rather than taxation and levy contributions which were never really a thing historically.

Femtosecond posted:

Whoopz I made my mayor a count because he had really good stewardship stats but apparently that means I created a weirdo republic thing. What does this mean? Is this bad and I should try to revoke title?

from the wiki it certainly seems like it's good for my bottom line

The downside is that I don't really have much control over fiddling with their ancestors and succession.

Nah it's fine. They give much fewer levies than a feudal vassal would (which is fine because levies are poo poo), but more taxes usually. Republican tax contributions are 20%, compared to 10/15/25% for Normal/High/Massive feudal contributions.

Elias_Maluco posted:

But are MaA really that strong to make levies useless? Thats wanst my experience in my 2 long games I had yet, but perhaps Im not using them right

Pretty much. Useless is probably overstating it, they're huge in the very early game when nobody has MaA, and they're very good for eating attrition during sieges (don't use your non-siege engines for this), but they get absolutely butchered by the good MaAs. I haven't actually experimented with it, but I would be willing to bet that Armored Cav could go 10:1 against a levy stack and quite possibly wipe them. Armored Foot probably 5:1 but a wipe would be doubtful.

Moreover I'm pretty sure adding levies to a MaA based stack can actually hurt their combat performance due to the Combat Width calculation. Combat width is based on the average size of the two armies in play (plus terrain modifiers). So in the basic case, if you have 1000 Armored Footmen vs. 9000 enemy levies on a plain (100% combat width modifier), the width is 5000; all 1000 of your guys are fighting, but vs. only 5000 of their guys, the other 4000 just stand around waiting for their comrades to get cut down.

Even better still, if you have an army of 3000 Armored Cav, the AI looks at that and say "oh poo poo look at that tiny army I'll go defeat it!", and marches their 15k levy based army right into you. Free stack wipes without ever needing to chase enemy armies around.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I know you can raise MaA separately, but is there a way to raise only like half your levies? If I raise them all I'm like -20 golds a month so I usually hit "raise MaA" then move them over then raise the levies then split the levies off until I'm not hemorrhaging golds.

Is there an easier way to raise army?

There's a couple ways. One is to cancel the levy once you hit whatever total you want. Another is to disperse a couple rally points around your realm, and then clicking Raise Local Army; note that this will always raise whatever MaA are not currently raised. However the biggest levy contribution is usually from your personal domain, so it still tends to be a bit unbalanced, gathering a hundred here and a hundred there, then suddenly 2000 from your counties, then another hundred the next day, etc.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 14, 2021