Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

AndrewP posted:

I should probably switch to yellow or pink balls

Volvik Vivid green - you wouldn't think green would be easy to see against the grass but I actually find it easier to see vs yellow.

hate looking for my balls, so much easier with a colored ball

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I got a dozen of the red Chrome 'soccer' pattern and I have to be honest, I can't see them for poo poo. (It also should be noted that I just don't like them so maybe I'm actively losing them...)
As in, actively harder to see them vs standard white.

They are a ball for a clown to use.
At the circus.
for...uh, a clown? :/

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Big Beef City posted:

I got a dozen of the red Chrome 'soccer' pattern and I have to be honest, I can't see them for poo poo. (It also should be noted that I just don't like them so maybe I'm actively losing them...)

At the circus.

I use white balls, but I've spent a fair time looking for other golfers red soccer balls and can confirm. Those drat things are invisible.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

Big Beef City posted:

At the circus.

I've never used the soccer balls, but I would say that I've found red balls easier to find in low light situations like the morning and worse to find during peak day time. I won't play a red ball past 10am.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

For maximum chaos play the red soccer balls in the fall when the leaves change.

Matte balls are harder to spot for me. I bought a pack of maxfli tour matte while balls, never again.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Big Beef City posted:

At the circus.

I tried the matte red duo soft a long time ago and instantly lost them all against the foliage. I don’t know where these would be easier to find.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is it generally accepted that yellow balls are the easiest to find?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I have a buddy that uses orange balls every once in a while and those are so hard to spot even when they're in the middle of a green area. I don't know what it is about them but he loses more of those in spots you shouldn't lose a golf ball than any other color ball.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Kirios posted:

until you play the hole that backs up to the range and the range uses yellow balls and you can't find your yellow ball among the dozens in the light rough on the right of the fairway because you slice everything

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

dangling pointer posted:

For maximum chaos play the red soccer balls in the fall when the leaves change.

Matte balls are harder to spot for me. I bought a pack of maxfli tour matte while balls, never again.

The matte red Callaway superhots are my favorite ball to play and completely impossible to find unless you are right on top of them. And even then they look like a rendering error.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Petey posted:

The matte red Callaway superhots are my favorite ball to play and completely impossible to find unless you are right on top of them. And even then they look like a rendering error.

Same here. I switched to the Matte Green ones. I love the superhots!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just put an Apple Tag on your ball and be done with it

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Kirios posted:

Yellow sits in the middle of the colour spectrum and activates your rods and cones a lot more than all of the other colours. Because of this it is the most noticeable colour in the spectrum. It also the reason why some firetrucks and ambulances are painted that weird lime-green colour, that colour in particular is the exact centre of the visible light spectrum and is the most noticeable at a glance to your eye.

Yellow and neon yellow balls try to replicate that as much as possible.

Personally, I've always found yellow balls to be harder to find than white because I'm looking for contrast against a green background when I'm looking for a ball. The easiest to find balls for me are those neon orange Volvik or Noodles because there are no natural colours that are anywhere close to the colour of those balls so they don't blend in to the background.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

MustardFacial posted:

Personally, I've always found yellow balls to be harder to find than white because I'm looking for contrast against a green background when I'm looking for a ball. The easiest to find balls for me are those neon orange Volvik or Noodles because there are no natural colours that are anywhere close to the colour of those balls so they don't blend in to the background.

tell me you don't have good foliage without telling me you don't have good foliage

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

The color of my ball is definitely why I can’t find it sometimes.

Me on the tee box aimed directly towards a fully grown forest to carry the trees and cut the dogleg:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

On the topic of ball coloration, etc.
Matte golf balls are sinfully delicious and should be illegal.

It's bad enough that mini-golf color balls have become the norm, hmm? I'm old-man-pants shakingly mad about that, alright?
Now we have these deliciously textured balls I simply must run my hands over constantly all the time? W..who asked...w..who asked for these..these scrupulously textured, dimpled balls? HMM?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Petey posted:

tell me you don't have good foliage without telling me you don't have good foliage

This is the west coast of Canada. All of the trees here are evergreens.

Big Beef City posted:

W..who asked...w..who asked for these..these scrupulously textured, dimpled balls? HMM?

Some F1 cars have a matte paint job because they claim it reduces aerodynamic drag somehow. I can only assume that is why these balls exist.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

well poo poo, I just remembered that I could have been giving myself much better drops on lost balls. you can actually drop it on the fairway.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

AndrewP posted:

well poo poo, I just remembered that I could have been giving myself much better drops on lost balls. you can actually drop it on the fairway.

Yes, but it's a 2 stroke penalty. It's supposed to be the equivalent of hitting the ball OB or Lost, going back to the tee, and then hitting a drive into the fairway the same distance.

Either way you are at 3 strokes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Right, but I was taking two strokes while also dropping my ball in a terrible spot around where I had lost it, instead of in the fairway like you’re allowed. Basically torpedoed any chance of avoiding an 8 or 9.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

AndrewP posted:

Right, but I was taking two strokes while also dropping my ball in a terrible spot around where I had lost it, instead of in the fairway like you’re allowed. Basically torpedoed any chance of avoiding an 8 or 9.

Why would you take 2 strokes for a normal drop?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RCarr posted:

Because I’m an idiot, I guess. I thought it was a normal drop.

Moral of this story, it’s helpful to actually know the rules.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

RCarr posted:

What do you mean by normal?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I love the yellow/black chromesofts but I lose them just as easily

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

RCarr posted:

In this case it was a lost ball. Before the local rule came into being the only fix was to go back to previous spot of play and redo the shot. That’s obviously disruptive to everyday golf so one solution would be to drop near where it was lost for 2 stroke penalty and play on. I did this myself until they included the new local rule.

Summit fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 14, 2021

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

RCarr posted:

If by "normal drop" you mean "oh, my ball is lost in the woods, I will drop a ball near where it went out and take a stroke," which is what I have always done, what I am learning is that you and me have been cheating.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Petey posted:

If by "normal drop" you mean "oh, my ball is lost in the woods, I will drop a ball near where it went out and take a stroke," which is what I have always done, what I am learning is that you and me have been cheating.

I have also been doing this.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Petey posted:

based on the people I've played with, tons of people do it and I'm always slightly skeptical of people's scores

another basic thing I learned recently is that an unplayable ball doesn't have to be stroke and distance. I was scoring it like it was lost and taking two penalty strokes before I dropped.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Petey posted:

Yea I guess I just learned that as well, haha.

So if you actually see a ball go into water or something it’s a one stroke penalty to drop, but because you didn’t actually see your ball go into a gopher hole or something, it’s now a two stroke penalty?

That’s stupid and I’m glad I never played that way.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

RCarr posted:

Yea I guess I just learned that as well, haha.

So if you actually see a ball go into water or something it’s a one stroke penalty to drop, but because you didn’t actually see your ball go into a gopher hole or something, it’s now a two stroke penalty?

That’s stupid and I’m glad I never played that way.

No. If you are reasonably sure that your ball went into a penalty area marked with red or yellow stakes it's a one stroke penalty if you take a drop.

If you got into the woods and can't find the ball or hit into an area marked with white stakes (out of bounds) then it's either go back and hit another ball from where you hit the previous one or do the newer local rule with a two stroke penalty. This would also apply if you got your ball into a gopher hole.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Golf definitely has some convoluted rules, but it's amazing how many golfers don't fully understand the basic/important ones, like how to properly take relief or what to do with a lost ball vs. unplayable, etc.

If you're just playing with your friends or by yourself and not posting your scores, do whatever you want. Hell, even if you are posting your scores but you're not playing in any real competition, then ignore whatever rules you feel like too. You're just reverse-sandbagging your own handicap if you don't know the rules and you're posting scores.

But if you're actually playing in club tournaments or anything where your score matters, please take a few minutes and learn the rules. The important ones aren't that difficult and the newest revisions make a lot of them even simpler than they used to be.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

BCRock posted:

Golf definitely has some convoluted rules, but it's amazing how many golfers don't fully understand the basic/important ones, like how to properly take relief or what to do with a lost ball vs. unplayable, etc.

I don’t think it’s that surprising. I’d be surprised if more golfers than not have ever played in a formal setting ie tournament or on their high school team.

Even the guys who have a weekly skins game with their buddies or whatever basically only know rules their specific group plays by.

I witnessed a group of guys arguing in the clubhouse one time while settling up their skins game. From what I could gather one guy kept pressing the bet for multiple holes and another dude should’ve taken a 2 stroke penalty for something. The guy who lost went and got a usga rule book out of his bag and when he came back with it his buddies relentlessly made fun on him till he left after one beer lmao.

I personally don’t care what rules you play by if nothings on the line. If we’re playing for money I still don’t care what rules we play by as long as everyone is playing by the same rules 🤷🏼‍♂️

Golf should be fun for people, if people don’t want to keep up with how to drop your ball, take relief etc I don’t blame them.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 14, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I try to keep as honest score as possible for myself because, hey, might as well be consistent. It will feel good to finally shoot in the 90s without fudging anything.

The thing I let slide is the 'breakfast ball' on the first tee if, say, I top it because I got to the course 10 minutes ago and it's my first swing of the day.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I try to keep as honest score as possible for myself because, hey, might as well be consistent. It will feel good to finally shoot in the 90s without fudging anything.

The thing I let slide is the 'breakfast ball' on the first tee if, say, I top it because I got to the course 10 minutes ago and it's my first swing of the day.

I also always keep a legit score for myself because improving feels good. Unless I’m by myself and the course is empty. Then it’s a practice round. I’m playing 2/3 balls and not counting strokes, just practicing shots.

I also partake in the breakfast ball. Anymore it’s rare I have time to show up early enough to do more than roll a few on the practice green to see how their rolling that day.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

No. If you are reasonably sure that your ball went into a penalty area marked with red or yellow stakes it's a one stroke penalty if you take a drop.

If you got into the woods and can't find the ball or hit into an area marked with white stakes (out of bounds) then it's either go back and hit another ball from where you hit the previous one or do the newer local rule with a two stroke penalty. This would also apply if you got your ball into a gopher hole.

Gopher holes are penalty free drops.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006

daslog posted:

the diff with the local rule is also that it allows you to drop on the fairway, whereas into red penalty area is 2 lateral club lengths or back on the line and yellow is just back on the line (+stroke and distance for both of course)

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 14, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Petey posted:

This isn't really cheating IF the woods are marked as lateral hazards (usually red stakes = lateral, white = ob) so check the local rules at your course. If it's a lateral/red penalty you drop where it entered for one stroke penalty, OB (and I guess unfindable but in bounds) is 2 strokes on the fairway with the rule we've been discussing.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
One course I play at has a ton of tall "grass" which is like 90% poison ivy and the scorecard says to play shots into those patches as a lateral hazard, and the same with some woods/creeks that run along a couple of the fairways.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

This isn't really cheating IF the woods are marked as lateral hazards (usually red stakes = lateral, white = ob) so check the local rules at your course. If it's a lateral/red penalty you drop where it entered for one stroke penalty, OB (and I guess unfindable but in bounds) is 2 strokes on the fairway with the rule we've been discussing.

Ah gotcha, then perhaps not. I was thinking of red stakes, not white stakes; white stakes I knew it was formally two strokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

seems like lots of the courses I play don't have much in the way of stakes. The woods are still in play I guess if you find your ball, which you won't. I still think most people just take one stroke and drop.