Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
^^^^^^^^
You gotta admit his YT channel name is appropriate.

Grouchio posted:

What would you say your best anime of the year has been to date?

Another vote for Odd Taxi. I got lucky and gave it a try after reading about it the month before it started, never regretted the decision. Second place to Super Cub.

In fairness, I never watched 86 or Vivy, and if I get free time I will try to give them a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

dogsicle posted:

i just told youtube to never recommend me mother's basement long ago

If you did, how did you know it was mother's basement?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he is infamous for sao hate, so it's a safe guess

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mother's Basement actually walked back the SAO vitriol a while ago lmao

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Tossup between Odd Taxi and Vivy. Probably an edge to odd taxi since Vivy had a pretty weak ending, even if I think it was generally better throughout.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
drat :(

I actually enjoyed the adventures of Overpowered Dude Anos Voldegoad. Poor dude

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Supremezero posted:

:stare: I just read an article about them cancelling the manga because of him getting sick like yesterday

According to the article he had already died then.

quote:

The manga adaption of the light novel series was canceled last week so that Kayaharuka could undergo treatment, but Kayaharuka had already passed away at the time of the announcement last week on Wednesday, July 7.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Grouchio posted:

Probably Vivy, although I am going to rewatch Dynazenon and see if I like it a lot more the second time around. I haven't yet seen Nomad or Odd Taxi, so hopefully I rectify that before year's end. I always hate the sense of knowing that my AOTY is really just the best of a small subset of anime released every year, even though there's no way I'd be watching 200+ titles. I barely get 30 anime completed, and most of that comes from the backlog.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

does tantei get any better in the 2nd episode? finishing the first was a chore.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

First episode of 5 seconds was pretty decent, actually. I'm really curious what point the season's gonna end at, though, since obv the manga is still ongoing, but there's a pretty big arc that could be a good ending spot depending on how fast the first few episodes adapt material. Honestly hoping that this anime does well because survival game manga are my guilty pleasure and there are a few I'd kill to get a good adaptation.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

marumaru posted:

does tantei get any better in the 2nd episode? finishing the first was a chore.

2nd episode is worse than the first

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Godzilla SP with a close 2nd of Vivy. 86 was also good and I'm just starting into Odd Taxi but I love me some scifi.

SP was about the perfect marriage of Godzilla lore but with a completely different take that it just kept getting better. Perfect side story to Concrete Revolutio too if you want to get weird

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 14, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Surprised not to see more people mentioning To Your Eternity. For me, that's fighting with Odd Taxi over the #1 spot.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yuru Camp, next question

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Maxwell Adams posted:

Surprised not to see more people mentioning To Your Eternity. For me, that's fighting with Odd Taxi over the #1 spot.
I just binged the whole manga in seven hours yesterday, so :same:

(:psyboom:)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's not done yet. Sure, it's less likely to go down in flames with good source material, but even that's not out of the picture given some shows this year. Figure that makes a judgement on it premature.

Beyond that, and speaking only for myself, it hasn't really done anything to stand out as amazing. You don't get directorial flourishes like with 86 or Dynazenon, or ultra rewarding hidden layers like with Odd Taxi. You just get, well, a solid adaptation of a good manga.

(It also feels like it hasn't managed to hit as hard as the opener again, despite giving us more time with characters before they die.)

If the competition wasn't so fierce, I can see an argument for it, and if the last two seasons were more like the current one, it'd be a contender. It's just, well, this has been a crazy year for anime.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, there is a weird blindspot about "To You Eternity" in this thread, where it gets barely mentioned once every few pages and has basically no discussion about it, despite being a clear AOTS and AOTY contender along with things like Oddtaxi and Vivy. It's really bizarre.

EDIT: Chiasaur11 post is a good example. His points are legit, everyone likes different things in anime, nothing wrong with that, but his post is literally the most anyone talked about "To Your Eternity" in either Spring or Summer thread and that's just weird.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 14, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

2nd episode is worse than the first

:byewhore:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, there is a weird blindspot about "To You Eternity" in this thread, where it gets barely mentioned once every few pages and has basically no discussion about it, despite being a clear AOTS and AOTY contender along with things like Oddtaxi and Vivy. It's really bizarre.

EDIT: Chiasaur11 post is a good example. His points are legit, everyone likes different things in anime, nothing wrong with that, but his post is literally the most anyone talked about "To Your Eternity" in either Spring or Summer thread and that's just weird.

i've been really enjoying it, but for some reason didn't feel compelled to talk much about it.
in terms of consistent quality it is honestly only matched imo by oddtaxi, even Vivy had some ups and downs. fumetu has been pretty consistently well animated, well paced and well directed, it's just not as bombastic as the other two.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

fumetsu is pretty good but i feel like the execution has been a little off, it doesn't always land its big scenes for me. I'll still watch as much of it as they make though

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

fumetsu is pretty good but i feel like the execution has been a little off, it doesn't always land its big scenes for me. I'll still watch as much of it as they make though

the first couple ones were pretty impactful to me, but after that i was just waiting for the next one so i wasn't as surprised

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mix. posted:

First episode of 5 seconds was pretty decent, actually. I'm really curious what point the season's gonna end at, though, since obv the manga is still ongoing, but there's a pretty big arc that could be a good ending spot depending on how fast the first few episodes adapt material. Honestly hoping that this anime does well because survival game manga are my guilty pleasure and there are a few I'd kill to get a good adaptation.

I watched it and it was mostly entertaining so far, but the catgirl villain's voice acting was extremely annoying. Also, the main character is not especially likable in a conventional sense, but he's interesting to watch in a fight, at least.

Edit: Also, the main character is way too fit for a guy who plays video games and eats candy all day.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 14, 2021

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I agree about To Your Eternity. It’s very good but I don’t feel there’s much to discuss about it. And it is honestly a little depressing, hopefully one day Fushi will learn to truly :orb:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Part of the problem To Your Eternity has it that it very much feels like we'll get a "Read the Manga" type ending which can stop people from ranking a series too high

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pretty much, unless they announce another season on the back of this one and at least finish the first half of the manga that has a solid end point

dunno how possible that would be in another 20 episodes since it's been a while since i read it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

fumetsu is a NHK show and they've been generous with second seasons in recent history. it's way likelier than if the show was being driven by the manga publisher.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ain't read the manga and Fumetsu is definitely in the running for AOTY. Definitely wins it in the best OP category too

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

it was very funny seeing youtubers who made five million rant videos about sao being morally impure talk about how actually you're the bad person if you dont like mushoku tensei

as mentioned, the cancer must have hit him like a truck. real tragedy.

dogsicle posted:

i just told youtube to never recommend me mother's basement long ago

To be fair, that's not just him but every trashy anituber if the absolutely hilarious title plagiarism in many of their videos is anything to go by.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
are there any good anitubers? i like kenny lauderdale because he mainly talks about older stuff from the 70's and 80's

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Willo567 posted:

are there any good anitubers? i like kenny lauderdale because he mainly talks about older stuff from the 70's and 80's

The Canipa Effect does solid industry journalism with a focus on animators and animation technique.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Supereyepatch Wolf's anime stuff is pretty good, but I mostly watch it cause it covers shonen/jump stuff which is stuff I'm not super into. I don't think I could listen to an anime podcast in series I'm into because I'd probably end up disagreeing or getting angry (which is all on me)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel like for any anituber to really be informational, they'd have to be knowledgeable on the Japanese side. There's nothing Canipa would tell you that would be any different from what you read from people with insider connections on Twitter or poorly translated tabloid articles on animenewsnetwork. And Supereyepatch Wolf famously assumed a lot of wrong poo poo in his big Bleach retrospective video, which he only corrected in a follow-up like a year later.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Willo567 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7X-QtyUiw-leIMq843YvA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I feel like for any anituber to really be informational, they'd have to be knowledgeable on the Japanese side. There's nothing Canipa would tell you that would be any different from what you read from people with insider connections on Twitter or poorly translated tabloid articles on animenewsnetwork. And Supereyepatch Wolf famously assumed a lot of wrong poo poo in his big Bleach retrospective video, which he only corrected in a follow-up like a year later.
a followup where he also hid it behind a ton of bleach criticism thus making it impossible to take seriously as a factual correction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?Eryncerise?videos erencerise has an extremely good history of magical girls thing but since shes going through every show shes only up to cutie honey and since she just took a hiatus it will probably stay at cutie honey for the foreseeable future, but whats there is an extremely good rundown of the early history of the genre.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I kinda of want to watch a break down or do a break down of all the 2004 Magical girl series as it's such an important year that gets forgotten about in English fandom but EFFORT

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Maidragon rules again.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I kinda of want to watch a break down or do a break down of all the 2004 Magical girl series as it's such an important year that gets forgotten about in English fandom but EFFORT
Go right ahead

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 15, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kenny Lauderdale does videos about obscure and lost media anime (also some live action stuff). Since he doesn't have to focus on current trending anime, his stuff is actually pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6dsQSn70Cem7zFsUANHqpQ

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

it was very funny seeing youtubers who made five million rant videos about sao being morally impure talk about how actually you're the bad person if you dont like mushoku tensei
Well SAO committed the crime of being targeted at an audience younger than the youtube manchildren.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't really want to die on the hill of defending youtubers but MT has weird pervy poo poo in an excellent story and world, whereas SAO has a full season about incest in a show that's consistently terrible in just about every other way.

Unless you think "Death Gun is my name and the name of my gun. One day I'll pay you all a visit too and bring real death with this gun," is the peak of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

Unless you think "Death Gun is my name and the name of my gun. One day I'll pay you all a visit too and bring real death with this gun," is the peak of dialogue.
The only canon SAO is SAO Abridged. :colbert: