Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Don't worry, the Jim Crow II laws will take care of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dubya is crying about the Afghanistan withdrawal because Afghan women and girls will suffer unspeakable harm.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dubya is crying about the Afghanistan withdrawal because Afghan women and girls will suffer unspeakable harm.

Good gently caress that moron

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

What's he gonna do, invade again?

We're trying to work up a war hysteria with the Caribbean now, W

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hey maybe he should have put resources and competent people in charge of rebuilding instead of treating it like a distraction from his lifelong goal of annexing Iraq's oilfields.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
When did conservatives become the de facto anti-vax party? Did COVID finally make that switch permanent? I seem to remember that movement led by the more naturalistic, hippy, Green Party type folk who didn’t want their precious babies to develop autism. Now you have republicans in states like TN questioning all vaccines.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Natural progression of dislike of anyone with formal education beyond middle school

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pkells posted:

When did conservatives become the de facto anti-vax party? Did COVID finally make that switch permanent? I seem to remember that movement led by the more naturalistic, hippy, Green Party type folk who didn’t want their precious babies to develop autism. Now you have republicans in states like TN questioning all vaccines.

The antivax crowd was always more evenly split politically between the crunchy granola hippie types that they were always portrayed as and the hyper-Christian anti-government types who thought it was a commie plot, but there was a strain of "let's blame stupid moms" in the reporting because people like Jenny McCarthy were always so willing to get on camera talking about it (while the parallel society of the extreme right-wingers used to be more quietly insular) and the news media industry is lazy as hell.

Then Trumpism happened and now everybody says the quiet part loud for fear of getting ousted by someone who says it louder.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pkells posted:

Trump was an ardent anti-vaxxer going back to at least 2012.

He became the defacto head of the party in 2016 and political lines along antivaxx tendencies rapidly followed suit.

I actually keep up with this a lot because of the pseudoscience class I teach which spends a big chunk of time on antivaxx stuff. You are correct that up until really 2017/8 the primary antivaxx group in the USA were upper-middle / upper class college educated white liberals. This is because they were the primary demographic that could afford to send their children to private schools which do not mandate vaccines to the extent public schools do.

Many states though started bowing to local pressure and instituting non-medical exemptions for vaccines (CA and WA notably) and swiftly were epicenters for the largest measles outbreak in 50 years in the winter of 2018/19. Some of these states have or have tried to roll back these exemptions since then. I am fairly certain that most red states will have full non-medical exemptions shortly so the stupid over the covid vaccine will also spread back into measles, pertussis etc.

e: Even up until late 2019 I used to think we could actually reverse the antivaxx trend in the USA. I am now firmly convinced that we have lost the fight on this for at least a generation. Literally every aspect of it has gotten worse / more pervasive in the last 2-3 years even well before covid showed up. Infuriatingly, covid has only helped in pushing the sentiment further into the mainstream.

That Works fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 14, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

pkells posted:

There was definitely always a base of antivaxx with cons, but the recent mainstreaming of it is I think:

Covid makes Trump look bad -> covid's not so bad -> covid is fine -> the real problem is all the lockdowns -> anything that tries to stop covid is bad

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Tennessee trying to kill itself faster is fine with me. Between covid and permitless concealed carry, they might be losing a congresscritter next time around.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
These are people who think millions dead worldwide means not a pandemic because well, there's BILLIONS of people in the world. Why they're allowed to continue to have an outsized influence on our society is beyond me, but I guess the party in power will just have to bipartisan harder to reverse these trends.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/1415306113726226436?s=19

I nay have opened up a can of worms but I found this tweet too funny not to share.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Just the right amount of heat in the take

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bored As gently caress posted:

I nay have opened up a can of worms but I found this tweet too funny not to share.

Accurate. All for more bikers and roads for them, but its hilarious and concerning watching them run stops lights and merge across traffic without signaling.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lmao roflmao

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I used to walk ~10 blocks to work in downtown Portland and I was at far more risk of injury from some spandexer running a stop sign than the cars. (Granted the injury would be much worse from a car but still.)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

It's an old saw but pretty accurate. Of course, nobody wants bikes to obey traffic laws. I get yelled at, brake-checked, and things thrown at me by motorists when I do things like stop at signs and lights and ride in a lane.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lmfao

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's an old saw but pretty accurate. Of course, nobody wants bikes to obey traffic laws. I get yelled at, brake-checked, and things thrown at me by motorists when I do things like stop at signs and lights and ride in a lane.

Glad bikes have their own lanes here

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I don’t want to be on the same side as Stonetoss.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

In certain parts of the country people get irrationally mad and hostile to anyone near a road who isn’t driving. Rural New England was the only place where I actually got glass bottles thrown at me while jogging for no reason.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Glad bikes have their own lanes here

Which we frequently get to share with double parked cars and drunk or careless pedestrians. Oh and don’t you dare put in protected cycling lanes because of ~mY sTrEeT pArKiNg~.

It’s really damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I’ve had poo poo thrown at me and drivers try to pick fights with me for actually following the law. Maybe it would be nice if people had a little more empathy for others instead of flying into a murderous rage when confronted with a momentary delay.

Was Dawkins-Style Atheist vs. Crossfitter the first match?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Literally a Nazi comic.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

You do not under any circumstance gotta hand it to absolute terf and neonazi stonetoss.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's literal Nazi Stonetoss, so it was probably "person who doesn't think all black people are inherently violent subhumans" vs "a Jew".

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Literally a Nazi comic.

Uhhhhh holy poo poo you weren’t kidding

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I used to walk ~10 blocks to work in downtown Portland and I was at far more risk of injury from some spandexer running a stop sign than the cars. (Granted the injury would be much worse from a car but still.)

These are dumb posts

eta: just gonna clutch pearls about bicyclists and crimes like a good American

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 14, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/13/asia/afghanistan-taliban-commandos-killed-intl-hnk/index.html

22 Afghan commandos trying to surrender get killed by the Taliban. That's a must read, because it goes into a lot of the poo poo happening around the country, too.

Was listening to NPR earlier today. Given the fact that the home of resistance to the Taliban was the Northern Alliance, largely made up of Tajiks and Uzbeks, the Taliban has smartly made huge efforts to take over the north to prevent a new NA from forming. Without someone like Ahmed Shah Masood to rally various strongmen and ethnicities, any strong or resilient opposition to the Taliban would've been unlikely, even if the Taliban didn't take over the north. But they are.

And they're recruiting ethnic Tajiks and Uzbeks to their cause. The Taliban was previously primarily Pashtun, the ethnic majority of Afghanistan, based mostly in the south. But they're recruiting everyonr, everywhere. There are tons of reports of the Taliban telling regular ANP or ANA soldiers that if they abandon their positions, they'll let them go. Reports are the Taliban are keeping their word, though I imagine they'd kill everyone if there was any resistance.

They're slowly taking over the whole country. Right now they're apparently saying "oh no we won't enforce beards for men or proper headscarves for women" but most experts think that they're waiting til they're fully in power to start repressing the people again. They want the people they're potentially recruiting to think they're a new, kinder, gentler Taliban, when they're most likely not.

Soon, the Afghan govt will be relegated to controlling the major cities and bases, just like the Afghan Communist Govt after the USSR pulled out. poo poo is gonna be really bad.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hearts and minds baby! Who wants to make the next deal with the devil?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Which we frequently get to share with double parked cars and drunk or careless pedestrians. Oh and don’t you dare put in protected cycling lanes because of ~mY sTrEeT pArKiNg~.

It’s really damned if you do, damned if you don’t. I’ve had poo poo thrown at me and drivers try to pick fights with me for actually following the law. Maybe it would be nice if people had a little more empathy for others instead of flying into a murderous rage when confronted with a momentary delay.

We actually have separate parking and bike lanes in alot of the city here. I don't know how well respected they are, but I never see much violation

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1415331561524826125?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sometimes it’s a brain tumor.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Calling cover for a heart attack

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What kind of payout can I get on “he lost another fight to a flightless bird”?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Uhhhhh holy poo poo you weren’t kidding

I was gonna do a troll reply, post a link to another of his comics with the caption "RELATABLE IM A RIGHT GUYS???? 👌👌👌👌👌" but i cant really do it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oops, just saw a dumb comic in the twitter thread and reposted. I express mild regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

In certain parts of the country people get irrationally mad and hostile to anyone near a road who isn’t driving. Rural New England was the only place where I actually got glass bottles thrown at me while jogging for no reason.

Your shirt literally said gently caress rural new england!