Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

I feel like Constantine has referenced Swamp Thing once before, though I'm not sure if it was here, on Arrow, or on his own show.
His show had a viral marketing campaign that included voicemail mentioning Alec Holland:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/constantine/john-constantine-is-a-real-person-and-here-is-his-phone-number-a104437#gs.5thqft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A Fancy Hat posted:

"All the magical power in the world but I have to say the words backwards" seems like the perfect power for Legends to play with.

That said, I'm still waiting for Swamp Thing to show up as a houseplant in Constantine's house or something.

Have him recreate this scene from the comics and have Behrad pass out from excitement

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Behrad is awesome this season. He went from becoming just kind of there for me to maybe my favorite.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Actually it was Legends I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H002XyoUjYQ

"I happen to know a Swamp Thing, but Maine is way too far north for that muppet"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Am I the only one who's just not into this season? It's all felt very forced.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tiggum posted:

No, I'm with you. It has some great moments but overall it's not been too great for me either.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Tiggum posted:

It might be my favorite season, but I can understand that it might not be for everyone.

It's just so happy and positive, which is exactly what I want to see right now.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Gus Gus is an inferior Beebo. There I said it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I agree too, not my favorite season so far but I have been really loving Astra In it. And Mick being pregnant is amazing
So it has its good points. (Plus Zari 1.0 coming up, hopefully, I don't watch previews.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I've been enjoying it this season definitely feels kind of unfocused with the stuff the Legends were doing barely connected with the Sara in space story. Also I'm kind of annoyed with the way the show just kind of ignored the whole "soul" issue with Sara dying. They know souls are real, they spent an entire season fighting evil ones and Sara specifically dealt with having hers put back into her body after she was originally brought back to life.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunno if it's a problem tbh, look at the Avas. They've all got souls. Future Hell is probably full of Ava clones.

Burning_Monk posted:

Gus Gus is an inferior Beebo. There I said it.

Would this matter so much if Gus turns out to be a villain? (Which, IMO, it almost certainly will do - it took over the show within the show, and now it's wormed its way into the main show itself.)

The character feels like a reaction to Beebo as much as it's a reaction to Baby Yoda, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if the scene in the writer's room was a bit of an injoke / inside baseball kind of thing. It's not like they haven't done it before -- the Season 4 plot about "budget cuts", or the bit where Ava quotes one of Oliver Sava's old AV Club reviews.

If the writers had wanted more Beebo, I'm pretty sure we'd had have a lot more of the character by now -- he's made, what, three in episode appearances in total? In just one ep, Gus has had about as much screen time, in a plot all about how cute mascots are popular (and make a gently caress load of cash) but at the end of the day the people making Legends -- sorry, Bud Stuy -- would rather tell the stories that they're passionate about.

Sorry, that's a long way of saying, "yeah, but I think that's on purpose".

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Is Bud Stuy a pun? It sounds familiar but nothing's clicking.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

oh jay posted:

Is Bud Stuy a pun? It sounds familiar but nothing's clicking.

Bed Stuy is a place in New York.

Edit: Specifically a neighborhood in Brooklyn.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 14, 2021

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
While this season is definitely aimless, it's still getting a good amount of laughs out of me per episode, and that's pretty much what I want out of the Time Idiots.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a superhero sitcom. A sitcom with a better budget and hour long episodes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A lot, if not most, of the best legend stuff has been when it's not focused on the season arc so quite frankly if they just go Seinfeld and it's a show about nothing but every episode is fun i don't even give a poo poo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I dunno if it's a problem tbh, look at the Avas. They've all got souls. Future Hell is probably full of Ava clones.
That's exactly the problem. If clone Sara has her own, newly-created soul then (original) Sara is dead and apparently no one cares because they got a replacement. Of course, it's entirely possible that the guy who made the clones knew about souls and was transferring his own soul between bodies whenever he died, and did the same with Sara. But, given that Sara was worried about whether she was still herself due to being an alien/human hybrid, you'd think someone in this world where souls are very definitely real and can be detected and identified would have brought that up so they could check.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Next season big bad is original Sarah's soul possessing a Beebo doll.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I'm watching it out of habit, not really enjoying it.
Too many characters, so they have them appear and disappear randomly or force reasons for them to go away. Which also means the characters are not interacting with each other in any meaningful way. Spooner and Astra add nothing. Plus gary is back.
Unfocused main story - copy paste "Legends did something to scatter X across the timeline, lets go fix it" but somehow they are spending no time on it nor are they going to interesting time periods.
Boring B and C plots that go nowhere apart from an obsession they have with pairing the characters up romantically.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
It's still good fun and tongue in cheek but I agree there are too many characters. I like all of them, the actors are really charming and work together well, but they split focus.

I am surprised they rolled right over the whole soul / different Sara / clone girlfriends thing. Especially since Ava has a *thing* about the c word and feels it makes her different.

I don't have an issue with episodic tv and the poking fun at themselves / the CW is enjoyable, but the (little) depth previous seasons had is missing.

Also querying the lack of MM relationships. It's like Gary/Constantine never happened. Shame, really.,

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sloth Life posted:

Also querying the lack of MM relationships. It's like Gary/Constantine never happened. Shame, really.,

Didn’t they bring it up two episodes ago?

I assume they'll circle back around to the relationship after Constantine / Zari 2.0 break up. Which seems inevitable at this point.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Open Source Idiom posted:

Didn’t they bring it up two episodes ago?

I assume they'll circle back around to the relationship after Constantine / Zari 2.0 break up. Which seems inevitable at this point.

If I missed it, that's on me. There have been reference to their magic assistant / magic mentor relationship but that's part of Astra's arc now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Beens posted:

Spooner and Astra add nothing.

i like Astra (it helps that she had the entire last season to build the character) but yeah they haven't even tried to make Spooner interesting at all, she just shows up in scenes to do the "omg i have a headache" thing

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Her episode with Amelia Earhart was great. I assume she'll have a proper focus episode coming up too -- it took ten episodes to do anything major with Zari after her introduction, by comparison, and that season didn't have to deal with covid, isolated actor pods or a slightly misleading release structure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tala Ashe was actually good in her first run of episodes though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Tala Ashe was actually good in her first run of episodes though.

You reckon Liseth Chavez is a bad actor? I've always liked her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She has been 100% boring on LoT and I've never seen her I'm anything previously.

So yeah, she's not good based on the presented material. And nothing about her performance here compels me to seek out her previous work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

She has been 100% boring on LoT and I've never seen her I'm anything previously.

So yeah, she's not good based on the presented material. And nothing about her performance here compels me to seek out her previous work.

I suspect part of this is because Spooner's main plot stuff seems dependent on the trajectory of the Mick plot -- and that's stalling partly because Dominic Purcell seems to have negotiated a contract where he only films a few days every episode, and partly because Mina Sundwall wasn't available for the first half of the season.

(I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Spooner was a last minute replacement for Lita tbh, once they found out she'd be tied up with extended filming on Lost In Space season 3.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Three men and a baby!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also, more Fash bashing this episode.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Last episode I told my wife that Constantine seemed to be mellowing out and acting like more of a team player, even doing a little more comedy with everyone and getting a bit more into wearing costumes and playing around when they travelled through time.

Well, this episode hit REALLY hard because of that. Great stuff that has me hooked to see where it goes. This might be the most outright nasty and manipulative thing we've seen Constantine do on Legends, which makes sense given how desperate he was to get his magic back.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah this episode was great. Impressed that the show has decided to go meaner and darker this season, while still being outsized silly fun.

Constantine's inability to be vulnerable (emotionally, but also physically) has been playing in the background all season. Same with Spooner, and it feels pretty sad to see her properly open up to another crew member only to get immediately punished for it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This season is the first time where I've really felt the lack of cast continuity. I largely love that they've rotated the cast so frequently and smoothly, but I'd give anything for Ray/Nora/someone played by Maisie Richardon-Sellers to return.

Spooner, Astra, and Behrad are all strong swings that haven't landed at all for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally watched episode 8 and the alien was totally a graboid from Tremors right?

Also giving Sarah Wolverine powers is a great idea.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I feel like John has gotten the most, I guess I'd say, 3 dimensional plots so far. Some of the other characters have had really good beats, don't get me wrong, but they've been more cliche and by the numbers. Love stories and daddy issues and all that.

I'm excited to see where John goes next.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

oh jay posted:

I feel like John has gotten the most, I guess I'd say, 3 dimensional plots so far. Some of the other characters have had really good beats, don't get me wrong, but they've been more cliche and by the numbers. Love stories and daddy issues and all that.

I'm excited to see where John goes next.

I do think they've handled the love stories pretty well though. Besides the Hawk People, Sarah/Ava and Ray/Nora were more realistic than a lot of TV romances.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

seaborgium posted:

I do think they've handled the love stories pretty well though. Besides the Hawk People, Sarah/Ava and Ray/Nora were more realistic than a lot of TV romances.

Nate's romances are really dragging down the average.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Seeing episode 8 made Nate's behavior in the next episode make a bit more sense. Though was Digg Bass Reaves?

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
You think we're gonna see this "angel" Fernando met or is Heaven gonna be the cliffhanger for Season 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's gonna be Tom Ellis Lucifer