Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
cake > yeast :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nah they’re both distinctively good

and especially not if it’s a gross baked cake doughnut.

also there are doughnuts made in neither fashion like cruellers which are usually fried pâte à choux

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

It only took 2 for people to not give a poo poo anymore.

Not hearing this anywhere.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

apatheticman posted:

username/post combo

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
computer, show me the worst take of July 13th, 2021.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

apatheticman posted:

CNN picked it up. It's still a story. But it does make me wonder what meaningful change will actually happen while this still has momentum.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

special hidden ones at that! nothing nefarious in hiding grave sites is there?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

BGrifter posted:

Simultaneously incorrect, horribly insensitive, and then blames the media (which is correct). And this is a verified account.

I love the future!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

apatheticman posted:

I saw this on CBC before I saw it here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/penelakut-kuper-residential-school-1.6100201

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
reminds me of when that cessna crashed into the polish cemetery and they recovered 5300 bodies

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BGrifter posted:

:eng101: "Mass graves" refers to large pits of corpses buried together, usually in a short period of time, suggesting disease or genocide, and "unmarked graves" would refer to bodies buried at different times without records, suggesting deaths spaced apart!*

*: Neither are cemeteries.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cash crab posted:

:eng101: "Mass graves" refers to large pits of corpses buried together, usually in a short period of time, suggesting disease or genocide, and "unmarked graves" would refer to bodies buried at different times without records, suggesting deaths spaced apart!*

*: Neither are cemeteries.

and importantly, none of the gravesites found so far (at least that I have heard about) have been mass graves but are collections of unmarked graves, so it fits the neglect, lack of healthcare and individual abuse models survivors have described quite well.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

If we are at the arguing about the definition of mass graves, we are pretty much on schedule for the discourse around the residential school deaths.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BGrifter posted:

this tracks with that guy who wrote an article saying actually its good to find mass graves because that means we successfully sent a bunch of heathen souls to heaven

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
you could photoshop that guys twitter handle and avatar to heir goebbels and nothing would be amiss

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Arivia posted:

and importantly, none of the gravesites found so far (at least that I have heard about) have been mass graves but are collections of unmarked graves, so it fits the neglect, lack of healthcare and individual abuse models survivors have described quite well.

Exactly. Like, either way large amounts of bodies without records is a bad look, but unmarked graves are almost certainly indicative of systematic neglect/murder, and probably deliberate.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
these 160 children were not killed quickly

matt walsh, brain genius: exactly, see, it's fine.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
canadian conservatives insisting that because the genocide of indigenous peoples in canada has been considerably less efficient than say, the holocaust or holodomor, it's actually not really worthy of recognition is always a fine look

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

RBC posted:

you could photoshop that guys twitter handle and avatar to heir goebbels and nothing would be amiss

wrap it up, the thread has been Godwin’d.

What happened to those kids is horrific and wrong. there is no excusing it, and there should absolutely be repercussions for anyone alive who took part in/ran the system. going forward, people should be educated on how this system came to be and why. HOWEVER; calling these unmarked graves “Mass Graves” is misleading and evokes something more like Rwanda. you know, actual, racial mass murder genocide with people being dragged out of their homes and being murdered by a mob.

don’t feed the outrage machine.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Just don't post matt Walsh, a trash person and right wing spokesperson. Literally calls himself a theocratic fascist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, in canada's case the mob was simply the federal government and it was all much less dramatic

our actual racial mass murder genocide was done in a thoroughly bureaucratic way, that took decades to achieve the same results, so it's hardly a fair comparison

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Frank Dillinger posted:

What happened to those kids is horrific and wrong. there is no excusing it, and there should absolutely be repercussions for anyone alive who took part in/ran the system. going forward, people should be educated on how this system came to be and why. HOWEVER; calling these unmarked graves “Mass Graves” is misleading and evokes something more like Rwanda. you know, actual, racial mass murder genocide with people being dragged out of their homes and being murdered by a mob.

You're right. It was more a systemic planned genocide. What's the right term for that?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, it's like first degree genocide versus second degree genocide.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

bunnyofdoom posted:

You're right. It was more a systemic planned genocide. What's the right term for that?

He did not say it wasn't a genocide.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frank Dillinger posted:

... as opposed to actual racial mass murder genocide with people being dragged out of their homes and then murdered a few months or years later in a religious prison with "school" written on the door?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Crow Buddy posted:

He did not say it wasn't a genocide.

it's true, they did not, the language of their second to last sentence merely implied that it was not, in some unspecified fashion, as much of a genocide as the one in rwanda. how or why this is relevant is left as an exercise for the reader

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

... as opposed to actual racial mass murder genocide with people being dragged out of their homes and then murdered a few months or years later in a religious prison with "school" written on the door?

yes, like that. i mean, who even knows how many of those kids were "murdered" as opposed to simply dying due to neglect or misadventure? we'll just call them church involved deaths

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

it was genocide, op

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Frank Dillinger posted:

You're right, people being dragged out of their homes and being murdered by a mob happened before the residential schools.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

infernal machines posted:

church involved deaths

:vince:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"It's not the thing you say it was, therefore you are misrepresenting the facts, and thus the thing you're describing isn't really that bad and also you are a liar" is a lovely argument but we could do our part by not inviting it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

look, using the term genocide implies that i should in some way feel bad about it happening, can we just call it something else so people don't think it was like those other genocides that happened elsewhere that were just absolutely awful and a mark of shame on the nations and peoples who perpetrated them?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

church involved deaths

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

"Don't feed the outrage machine" is said, as these people have had their culture beaten out of them.

"its not real genocide" is said, when at least one out of twenty Indigenous children were murdered under the guide of the government.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

it's true, they did not, the language of their second to last sentence merely implied that it was not, in some unspecified fashion, as much of a genocide as the one in rwanda. how or why this is relevant is left as an exercise for the reader

Evoking language that we used during Rwanda, to talk about what happened here, maybe isn't super helpful as there are a LOT of people that already don't recognize this as a problem (ie. that blue check mark idiot.) Giving the impression that we are talking about bulldozing machine gun victims or roving gangs with machetes just gives them a reason to tune this out.

That said, I haven't seen the media talking about mass graves at all so this is the blue check mark evoking it himself to dismiss the entire thing. Why he is doing that is also left as an exercise for the reader.

Hope that doesn't make me a genocide denier too.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it was absolutely a genocide in which children were neglected to death, or outright deliberately killed, and buried in unmarked graves, and if this upsets you, good

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
yall i may be completely off base here but i have this suspicion that the drive-by poster invoking godwin's law while having "jawohl mein herr" as their title text and trying to well-actually the definition of genocide to downplay thousands of dead first nations children may either be not posting in earnest or is posting in earnest and is just a terrible person

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Crow Buddy posted:

Evoking language that we used during Rwanda, to talk about what happened here, maybe isn't super helpful as there are a LOT of people that already don't recognize this as a problem (ie. that blue check mark idiot.) Giving the impression that we are talking about bulldozing machine gun victims or roving gangs with machetes just gives them a reason to tune this out.

That said, I haven't seen the media talking about mass graves at all so this is the blue check mark evoking it himself to dismiss the entire thing. Why he is doing that is also left as an exercise for the reader.

Hope that doesn't make me a genocide denier too.

the thing about needing to differentiate between genocides is that it's generally driven by the desire to minimize what's happened here in canada. whether the children were machine gunned into a ditch or died over several decades because of the machinations of the residential school system isn't actually relevant to it being a genocide, these 160 children are just as dead as if we had gassed them, and they're dead because of who they were and who their parents were.

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Jul 14, 2021

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Frank Dillinger posted:

What happened to those kids is horrific and wrong. there is no excusing it, and there should absolutely be repercussions for anyone alive who took part in/ran the system. going forward, people should be educated on how this system came to be and why. HOWEVER;

shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

^ good catch

the thing about needing to differentiate between genocides is that it's generally driven by the desire to minimize what's happened here in canada. whether the children were machine gunned into a ditch or died over several decades because of the machinations of the residential school system isn't actually relevant to it being a genocide, the 160 children are just as dead as if we had gassed them, and they're dead because of who they were and who their parents were.

Completely agree.