Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Alexa what's the Streisand effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Alexa what's the Streisand effect?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

Given that he's literally just suggested that blacks wishing to protest racism should use a Roman salute, I don't think he's asking for a do-over. He's either so monumentally ignorant that his remembering to breathe is a minor miracle, or he's deliberately race baiting.

It's both. All the other pundits do the same thing but at least have the common sense to not be such a dumb oval office about it.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I really don't know how he manages it, I couldn't possibly come up with such consistently terrible takes on everything no matter how cushy a writing gig the Mail on Sunday offered me.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh Sian Berry has quit. I know a lot of people in here didn't like her for comments about Corbyn, but I think her reasons for this are commendable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/14/sian-berry-quits-as-green-party-leader-in-dispute-over-trans-rights

(apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it)

was she the one who posted the green party rules/regulations on antisemitism in response to news that disaffected labour party members were looking to join the greens?

cause even with everything else going on at that time, it stood out as monumentally daft

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for the fruits update, Twitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's okay he's said that anybody making racist posts on the internet or in the Daily Telegraph for several years will be banned from the football.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Racism will include antisemitism and anything short of full support of genocide in Palestine will be verboten. "Take the Knee for Judaism" will catch on and there'll be viral videos of gammons kneeing in mosques with their shoes on.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Thanks for the fruits update, Twitter.

He was taken out of context when he did that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

"Take the Knee for Judaism"

The IDF have courses for that I believe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Got my ballot. Turner or Graham? I want to do my small part in NOT splitting the left so the Coyne gets in.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Got my ballot. Turner or Graham? I want to do my small part in NOT splitting the left so the Coyne gets in.

Turner.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

The IDF have courses for that I believe.

That's it, you're sacked from the front bench

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh Sian Berry has quit. I know a lot of people in here didn't like her for comments about Corbyn, but I think her reasons for this are commendable.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/14/sian-berry-quits-as-green-party-leader-in-dispute-over-trans-rights

(apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it)

so the non-transphobe wing of the greens is purging itself?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Turner, because Beckett endorsed him.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man warzone 2100 is fantastic

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

man warzone 2100 is fantastic

Word. I love end game artillery exchanges. Someone fires in range of a cb turrets and all hell breaks loose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The amount of stuff the game simulates is actually really impressive for its time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As everyone else has said, Turner. Graham has the backing of the SWP, a few other weirdo Trot sects, and nobody else of significance.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wish Earth 2150 would get the Warzone 2100 treatment, tbh.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Graham is a perfectly good candidate, potentially better than Turner, but hasn't gotten the nod from United Left and has less nominations than Turner so it's reasonable to throw in with Turner as he does appear to be the 'default' left choice. Don't be ragging on Graham though, it's everyone's fault there wasn't an agreement between the left candidates if the risk of losing the leadership is so high and if it isn't that high then multiple left candidates is good.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JoeCoxEastLDN/status/1415324732313030656?s=19

Lmao

Edit:

https://twitter.com/Vinncent/status/1415340935819505665?s=19

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Follow up tweet makes it a bit clearer, home-owners is those who own outright as opposed to with a mortgage - only 10% of mortgage lenders are over 60 which makes sense

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

The problem with kneeling is that you remind at least a third of Britain's population that they can't kneel without their massive guts pressing into their lungs and killing them, so it's really insensitive.

I've never been so called out in my life.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lol he looks like absolute poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He is.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ronya posted:

More broadly the Culture wins the struggle in Consider through its intrinsic superiority as a mode of civilizational organization - much the same as the subsequent Player. In Excession however a force from literally beyond time and space shows up to karmically deliver an object lesson in humility. Never mind the Affronters: even the universe itself is determined to punish Culture hawks.

In universe, Azad is just an empire with bad politics. So it can be changed into better ones by political means. And if you are very very smart, very careful and somewhat lucky you can do so from outside.

In contrast, the affront have bad _biology_; they actually do ‘naturally’ enjoy causing pain, rather than having to be indoctrinated that that is necessary for reasons. Changing them to not be bad would be to change them to be something other than what they are. Which, again in-universe, the Culture mostly considers to be sufficiently problematic to be just on the other side of the line of things they do. Hence book plot.

If the Affront played an Azad-like game, the victory condition would be ‘how much pain did you cause’. If you played them at their own game and beat them, they would say ‘gently caress me, that is impressively cruel, I’m stealing that idea’.

Autocorrect suggested Assad for Azad. Which gets into the reasons why, out of universe, Banks chose to write about one society then and a different one later.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

in case anyone is wondering it could mean a phrenic nerve irritation (lung / mediastinal cancer ) or some brain lump

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

in case anyone is wondering it could mean a phrenic nerve irritation (lung / mediastinal cancer ) or some brain lump

Are either of those things caused by ostrich bites?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to read the player of games as a critique of meritocracy I would suggest that the takeaway is that their society puts someone at the top who is actually extremely committed to and very good at the thing that dictates rank in that society, but that the ultimate criticism is that that thing is entirely stupid and pointless

Good postings about Player of Games. It's a valid book with good themes

Personally I didn't really like it though. I remember reading the back cover of Player of Games: so there's some guy who is an outsider and takes part in some tournament of a really difficult game? Ok, I'm gonna guess two things: first, of course he will win in the end; and second, the exact mechanics of the game will never be described in any detail whatsoever.

Read the book and yep, correct on both counts. :v:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I had a copy of the Guinness World Record book as a child. The only one I remember is that someone had the hiccups nonstop for decades (Google tells me 68 years).

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So in other news (or maybe just news that wasn't being covered on British media/social media. I couldn't find it on the Independent website.) the UK Government have announced that there is to be no prosecutions for any crimes in the Troubles.

UK Government announces statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutions, including British Army soldiers https://jrnl.ie/5495105

As you'd expect, the Right Wing press are covering this in a fair and balanced manner.

https://twitter.com/PatrickFreyne1/status/1415345692789428230?s=19

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Btw, Camrath, you should try to use your powers for good. The fudge is delicious but I'm trying to eat less sugar :saddowns:

Perhaps some kind of flapjack made of beans and carrots? Throw in a bit of flour as a treat. It's the same tech as fudge basically right?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Best cure for hiccups is orgasm. No seriously, it sounds like a #crafywank excuse, but it is.

Unless you've got a tumour, in which case probably get some surgery once you've finished.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Changing them to not be bad would be to change them to be something other than what they are. Which, again in-universe, the Culture mostly considers to be sufficiently problematic to be just on the other side of the line of things they do. Hence book plot.
It's interesting why one would hold the ideology that changing ideology is fine but changing biology is impermissible.

Not fans of "if nature is unjust, change nature"?

The Question IRL posted:

So in other news (or maybe just news that wasn't being covered on British media/social media. I couldn't find it on the Independent website.) the UK Government have announced that there is to be no prosecutions for any crimes in the Troubles.

UK Government announces statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutions, including British Army soldiers https://jrnl.ie/5495105

As you'd expect, the Right Wing press are covering this in a fair and balanced manner.

But there's a price, the law may apply to some who aren't British.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

It's interesting why one would hold the ideology that changing ideology is fine but changing biology is impermissible.

But there's a price, the law may apply to some who aren't British.

“Crimes”. So disgusting.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

radmonger posted:

If the Affront played an Azad-like game, the victory condition would be ‘how much pain did you cause’. If you played them at their own game and beat them, they would say ‘gently caress me, that is impressively cruel, I’m stealing that idea’.
The Hive from Destiny have a sort of similar thing called Sword Logic. The philosophy behind it is that in a universe with limited resources, only the greatest deserve to survive. Therefore it's right to kill everything else, because whoever's left at the end of it is the only thing that deserves to exist. Any other life is just wasting resources something better could be using.

There's also a whole thing about always making sure you're getting stronger and breaking out of whatever is restricting you, whether that's the laws of physics, the dimensional plane you're on, mortality or even just your physical form.

Their de-facto leader Oryx later reflects on this, realising that if he is defeated, if someone else beats him after all he's achieved, he wants to leave something of himself to help them continue their path to greatness (in his case a sword and after a long questline, a gun). He genuinely seems excited about the prospect of being killed because if he is defeated, if someone managed to get past all of his safeguards, then he was never the greatest / most efficient use of energy and deserved to die.

His message to the races he wipes out is chilling, imagined as an ancient death cult, hell bent on malthusian carnage and absolute loathing for anyone they see as weak or worhless.

What I'm saying is the Hive are Tories.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

This is going to be one of those things that in a hundred years time the public will find out the govt had proof of soldiers and IRA/UVF/UDA/RIRA/etc terrorists doing nasty poo poo and did nothing.
Boris thinks this is a great goal he has scored, but this is NI. poo poo won't get forgotten for hundreds of years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you have found a way to make boris live for hundreds of years however it is probably a very good goal for boris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The Culture are of course perfectly fine with changing their own biology, e.g. drug glands. Changing the biology of others against their expressed wishes does seem like a plausible moral and practical line to draw.