Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ZZZorcerer posted:

Actions inside the apocalypse don't matter because everything is being destroyed anyway, but the bonding they experience there matters since they survive and keep going until meeting Kang. (And it's not an exact science, that's the explanation they give. Doesn't mean it's an universal rule)

But they only got out to find Kang because the TVA found them. And the TVA only found them because of the nexus event. And the nexus event only happened because they bonded and survived. Which only happened because the TVA found them...and I've gone cross eyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Oasx posted:

Overall I didn’t like Loki quite as much as the other two MCU shows, but it was good and I’m looking forward to the second season.

How do you like this less than (I’ll mind rape you to keep tabs on you) and one Pepsi speech will solve racism in this country endings? What?!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hickman was the one that did the council of Reed, yes. They've shown up a couple more times after. His run starts with Fantastic Four #570

X-O posted:

Jonathan Hickman.

Thanks guys. I remember really liking where that went but can't remember much more than I enjoyed it. Going to go find that and order. Still need Strazynski's Thor as well.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yeah, it was in the excellent Hickman run on Fantastic Four and Future Foundation. Majors would def work for Reed but I'd hope they'd avoid erasing Ben Grimm's Jewish heritage since I think it's relevant to his character. Elba could be good as Doom, but again, it would come with a set of issues from erasing a prominent Romani character's ethnicity.
Hmm good point. I remember both characters ethnicity feature heavily into the character itself so yeah.... very good point. Now if they could only make a good FF and Doom movie/series that embraced the cool aspects instead of what has come before.

Jetrauben posted:

Loved that enraged-guilty-self-justifying: "I...weaponized Alioth. I ended the Multiversal War!"

Because in that one statement he's admitting to being a greater monster than any other in creation.

There were several moments of his performance I really liked. That was one. That and GROW UP! GROW UP SYLVIE! There feels like thousands of times in stories where the hero is puffing their chest full of short sighted righteous indignation when I wish someone would call them on their BS. I did like Loki hearing him and out taking his time. I know it seemed passive but really... in the face of all of that monologue the reasonable response is to find out more information before leaping forward with sword in hand.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Marvel is now in the same lovely case that the comic books were in

End of the world!

End of the galaxy!

End of time!

End of the multiverse!

uhh... uhh.... gently caress.. what's the ante now?

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yeah, it was in the excellent Hickman run on Fantastic Four and Future Foundation. Majors would def work for Reed but I'd hope they'd avoid erasing Ben Grimm's Jewish heritage since I think it's relevant to his character. Elba could be good as Doom, but again, it would come with a set of issues from erasing a prominent Romani character's ethnicity.

Then cast Eric Andre for Ben.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, uh, does the poster in the locker in the credits change every week? Because, well…

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

apatheticman posted:

Marvel is now in the same lovely case that the comic books were in

End of the world!

End of the galaxy!

End of time!

End of the multiverse!

uhh... uhh.... gently caress.. what's the ante now?

DCEU crossover is how it all ends.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

tweet my meat posted:

Majors was really chewing through scenery, but he still gave a layered performance that really captured the menace, age, and wisdom hiding underneath his youthful looks and cheery tone.

I definitely wasn't sold on the idea of Kang being the next big bad until I actually saw him in action and now I'm 100% on board with the next phase.

"See you soon..."

That sold it for me.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

TinTower posted:

So, uh, does the poster in the locker in the credits change every week? Because, well…

Yes, the various pictures in the credits change every week.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Love love loved it. Even though I've never had much time for the comic version of They Who Remains, the actor here just killed it hamming it up as a bored and bugfuck insane (yet largely benevolent) incarnation. They can monologue as much as they want it my book, it was a delight and I'm now fully on board for future appearances.

As for how things wrapped up with Sylvie and Loki, it was very (and hilariously) Batman Returns.

Give Natalie Holt all the score awards now, she's been brilliant all series.

Phylodox posted:

I mean, the MCU has never been shy about the fact that the “gods” of this universe are very, very, extremely human. They’re not even really the human experience writ large, they’re pretty much the human experience written in a slightly bolder font.

Plus the actual Norse and Greek gods myths had them just as flawed as humans anyway, they're chock full of idiots, schemers and gently caress ups. They are very far from being divine beings.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Majors’ performance reminded me a bit of James Hong’s David Lo Pan from Big Trouble in Little China.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was Kang. That was Immortus.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kunabomber posted:

no, because rick thinks time travel is lame

Except that in the MCU time travel is basically dimensional travel and Rick thinks dimension travel is awesome.

Though I will love it if in Quantumania Scott Lang tells Kang, "So you're like the real-life Rick Sanchez but somehow even more of an rear end in a top hat."

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

X-O posted:

Loki has not been dumped in an alternate universe TVA. There is no alternate universe TVA. The TVA exists outside of the multiverse because of how it functions. Loki has been dumped into a TVA that has been retroactively taken over by the Conqueror variant that was mentioned earlier in the episode.

yeah pretty sure this is how it works.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

no jetski, 0/5

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
What a nice way to start up the Multiverse of Madness :sickos:

Watched this with subtitles on. It's a nice touch that he's called He Who Remains. So it's all wink and nods, "show don't tell" sort of stuff that Marvel Televised Universe doesn't do well.

Credits to the VisDev and Lighting departments for the finale. The glowing cracks on the floor and the ambient lighting from the windows did so much storytelling.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
So Sylvie sends Loki back to A or THE TVA which has now retroactively been taken over by Kang. But why do they also operate on the pretense of a Sacred Timeline that is now branching?

I guess this all hinges on whether theres multiple TVAs that exist outside of time and space?

And this TVA Loki is sent back to is utilized by Kang, almost exactly like Immortus, to dominate and control one universe but now that its branching, Kang will want to dominate them all and do it all over again to assert control.

I love it all but this sending me for a loop.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, I have this minor nit-pick I need to get off my chest:

In the first episode, in the scene in the church, Mobius speaks to the young girl in French and refers to one of the guards as an imbecile. The guard reminds him, in French, that he also speaks "every language on the timeline". This makes sense if they are constructs created to patrol time, but not really if they are just normal humans snatched from alternate timelines.

The language thing never comes up again, and there is no indication that the TVA can implant people with skills or knowledge. I mean, I guess you have to assume they can, but it just seems like an odd detail to throw in and never mention again. It kinda feels like something left over from an earlier draft where they hadn't yet decided on the true nature of the TVA.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 14, 2021

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
I think there's only one TVA and it's been altered because how would Sylvie know how to send him to another TVA?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Mobius and all of the TVA agents have been around for an incalculable amount of time. It's entirely reasonable to assume they've had enough time to learn every language.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Phylodox posted:

Mobius and all of the TVA agents have been around for an incalculable amount of time. It's entirely reasonable to assume they've had enough time to learn every language.

Well that's sort of a confusing one, right? If they're technically Variants, then they should logically have the same subjective lifespans as their on-timeline selves. You can explain them getting around in the timeline by them just hopping about so they spend very little life-time in any given point in history, but that's not the implication of Renslayer's discussion with Mobius - the implication is that time literally doesn't pass in the TVA's space, so their lifetime isn't actually being used up. Or, I suppose, they've been modified or altered such that lifespan is unnaturally extended.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Don Cheadle is nominated for an Emmy for Falcon and Winter soldier and even he doesn’t know why

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonCheadle/status/1414997487929094147

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I enjoyed it. Most satisfying climax in any of these Marvel shows so far. I figured it would be Kang/Immortus but didn't want to jump to conclusions after Wandavision intentionally threw in red herrings. The guess some people had that it was another Renslayer who could've been working for Kang was a good one too though. I'm pretty sure I predicted the connection between Renslayer and the pen let me see if I can find the post.

Yep found it:

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The revelation that everyone working in the TVA were once variants explains what the jetski magazine and the FDR High School pen are about I think. They're things that were important to them in their former lives.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Attempting to put in thought and avoid using spoiler tags:

I liked most of the A story although the B story ended in a bit of a damp squib.

The acting was very good from everyone involved but there was no weight to what was going on and no sense of tension or high stakes beyond characters shouting that that was the case.

I really liked the fact that this was a MCU show that was brave enough to have a finale that's 95% people sitting in a room talking to each other but then they ruined it with a very badly choreographed fight scene that had no weight or tension to it.

I get that if you are super into the comics then this gave you a lot, but for those of us who aren't into the comics what they did here feels like they sacrificed their ability to tell a complete story arc in order to do that bit of fan service.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jetrauben posted:

Well that's sort of a confusing one, right? If they're technically Variants, then they should logically have the same subjective lifespans as their on-timeline selves. You can explain them getting around in the timeline by them just hopping about so they spend very little life-time in any given point in history, but that's not the implication of Renslayer's discussion with Mobius - the implication is that time literally doesn't pass in the TVA's space, so their lifetime isn't actually being used up. Or, I suppose, they've been modified or altered such that lifespan is unnaturally extended.

It's the last one. The guy who made their organization is an incredibly bright scientist from a thousand years in our future that also has a time machine. He knows quite literally anything he wants to know, which is just about everything.

Mortality isn't a metaphysical problem. It's an engineering one. He solved it. The end.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

massive spider posted:

Don Cheadle is nominated for an Emmy for Falcon and Winter soldier and even he doesn’t know why

https://mobile.twitter.com/DonCheadle/status/1414997487929094147

It was a very amazing 3 minute performance

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ZZZorcerer posted:

Actions inside the apocalypse don't matter because everything is being destroyed anyway, but the bonding they experience there matters since they survive and keep going until meeting Kang. (And it's not an exact science, that's the explanation they give. Doesn't mean it's an universal rule)

I think that Kang-Who-Remains probably has better science/time-stuff than the TVA has. He's been running time since forever. He's lonely, old, tired and tired of being old, lonely and tired. He wants his term to end but he doesn't want it to be for nothing. I think he's figured out that there's something about Lokis that would let one of them take his place - which is probably one reason why Alioth hasn't actually eaten them all. So at some point he spots a very thin possibility around Lamentis. It's not just a Loki that can take over. It's two Lokis that genuinely trust each other and care for another. Except that these two are about to be destroyed with Lamentis-1. So KWR sends a big alert to the TVA from inside their system to go get them. After that he kind of stage-manages/plays his part to get the Lokis to the end of time. Not making it too easy, but opening a way if they can find it.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Major LOLs that "What is grief..." from WandaVision now counts as an iconic quote from all of time and space.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Don Cheadle: aw gently caress now i gotta put my pants on

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Everyone posted:

I think that Kang-Who-Remains probably has better science/time-stuff than the TVA has. He's been running time since forever. He's lonely, old, tired and tired of being old, lonely and tired. He wants his term to end but he doesn't want it to be for nothing. I think he's figured out that there's something about Lokis that would let one of them take his place - which is probably one reason why Alioth hasn't actually eaten them all. So at some point he spots a very thin possibility around Lamentis. It's not just a Loki that can take over. It's two Lokis that genuinely trust each other and care for another. Except that these two are about to be destroyed with Lamentis-1. So KWR sends a big alert to the TVA from inside their system to go get them. After that he kind of stage-manages/plays his part to get the Lokis to the end of time. Not making it too easy, but opening a way if they can find it.

See, now this I can work with.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gavok posted:

Religion has some wacky ideas when you get down to it.

The fiction of the time keepers makes more logical sense than modern day christianity.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I saw a fan casting that puts Adam Sandler in the role of the thing and I really couldn't think of a better actor for the part.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So I guess this is what finally brings the Eternals out of hiding?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Geo Fixer posted:

I saw a fan casting that puts Adam Sandler in the role of the thing and I really couldn't think of a better actor for the part.

Misread that at first and thought you were saying Adam Sandler as the role of Doom, which would own actually

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

thrawn527 posted:

They just finally ran out of Flamin' Hot Cheetos and had to get more.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

The Eternals was supposed to come out last year so probs not.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Geo Fixer posted:

Holy poo poo I'm gonna clobber

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

so the infinity stones are all-powerful and can work in different universes (as evidenced in Endgame), yet somehow this earthling can create a space where they are basically rendered paperweights?

ending really needed an exasperated mark wahlberg in tattered clothing to really complete the picture

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Though she says she's not "reporting" it, Joanna Robinson of Vanity Fair states that her sources have told her that, before COVID shut down production on the show, the finale had a much different plot, with the biggest change being that Kang only showed up as a post-credits reveal, but that things were obviously changed to make that aspect the lion's share of the episode. Possible reasons for this include increased availability of Jonathan Majors, higher-ups giving positive feedback to the footage he'd shot, and the decision to move forward with a second season allowing for not tying up everything with a tidy bow. Presumably this explains why some of the plotlines seemed so underserved/scenes that exist in the trailers don't actually show up in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Grumbles posted:

The Eternals was supposed to come out last year so probs not.

Oh really? Never mind.