Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These are my idiots that can barely catch a spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been a cat person for decades and I honestly don't remember ever hearing of a cat exercise wheel :confused:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've been a cat person for decades and I honestly don't remember ever hearing of a cat exercise wheel :confused:

https://onefastcat.com/

It's a pretty clever idea for highly energetic cats, in theory. I've heard Bengal owners swear by them. We thought ours might burn some calories if they took to it.

Real life results... vary.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

https://onefastcat.com/

It's a pretty clever idea for highly energetic cats, in theory. I've heard Bengal owners swear by them. We thought ours might burn some calories if they took to it.

Real life results... vary.

Huh, interesting. Yeah, I imagine some cats would really go for it but it does seem very hit or miss.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Frank Frank posted:

gently caress cats*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

My brain always reads this in Tommy Wiseau's voice, and it makes me laugh every time

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
e: a bad idea

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jul 14, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

My old guy wont stop lickin hid god dawm beans. He's a ball lickin machine

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

My brain always reads this in Tommy Wiseau's voice, and it makes me laugh every time

i did naaaht

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
e: Post was deleted so will respect poster and delete my own response

Oh hai Mark!

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Jul 14, 2021

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Meanwhile here's the one who caught a mouse despite having no otherwise discernable prey, play, or food pursuit drive. She doesn't even like catnip. We eventually had to give up on figuring out how to get either of them to run on the exercise wheel we thought we were being so clever buying them.

Cats are weird in that they can be five pounds overweight and never do anything more strenuous than pooping, but if a little bird accidentally flies into the house the cat will find the power to jump 20 loving feet and take it down.

It was really impressive.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

lifg posted:

Cats are weird in that they can be five pounds overweight and never do anything more strenuous than pooping, but if a little bird accidentally flies into the house the cat will find the power to jump 20 loving feet and take it down.

They operate on Hulk rules, they can funnel mass and muscle power between dimensions in times of great need

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MarcusSA posted:

I have watched mine recoil when the ant he was stalking turned around and came right for him

The little shits record is like 0 kills. Although he did find a mummified squirrel once when I still loved at my dad's and brought it to me. I have no idea where it came from and the dudes never been outside :shrug:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Len posted:

I have watched mine recoil when the ant he was stalking turned around and came right for him

The little shits record is like 0 kills. Although he did find a mummified squirrel once when I still loved at my dad's and brought it to me. I have no idea where it came from and the dudes never been outside :shrug:

i'm sorry to hear that. i wish one day you can learn to love at your father's house again.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lifg posted:

just a reminder that they can take you down any time, any place

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MarcusSA posted:

Gustavo is scared of ceiling fans because i guess he was bullied by songbirds

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how much should you tip your cat?

it's not very well known, but there's a mathematical rule that 0.999999..... = cat

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Still laughing at the idea of raccoons being the ascendant heir to the apex mini predator niche feral cats occupy in the United States.

why do people treat exactly the wrong statements as out there?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesopredator_release_hypothesis

also housecats are 'considered' an apex predator... by someone very loud. if you're worried your cat may get eaten, it isn't one, its actually another mesopredator

otoh the species that do prey on raccoons are not generally present in an urban environment (except sometimes coyotes), making them an apex predator in the ecosystem

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Jul 14, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hodgepodge posted:

also housecats are 'considered' an apex predator... by someone very loud. if you're worried your cat may get eaten, it isn't one, its actually another mesopredator

otoh the species that do prey on raccoons are not generally present in an urban environment (except sometimes coyotes), making them an apex predator in the ecosystem

If cats were bigger they would be apex predators. For my evidence, I present all the feline apex predators that are fundamentally just cats but bigger.

Like that tweet says, It must be so frustrating to be a cat and realize you have the perfect setup to be death incarnate but you're like 150 pounds too light.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cats and raccoons are pretty friendly with each other, or at least indifferent to each other, as they both are with opossums and skunks. You could see them all hanging out and being cool together wherever animals are fed.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

christmas boots posted:

If cats were bigger they would be apex predators. For my evidence, I present all the feline apex predators that are fundamentally just cats but bigger.

Like that tweet says, It must be so frustrating to be a cat and realize you have the perfect setup to be death incarnate but you're like 150 pounds too light.

it turns out that there's a reason for this: adapting to become a proper apex predator makes you vulnerable as all hell and you go extinct faster than your smaller mesopredator cousins. this has lead to saber tooth cats evolving and going extinct repeatedly

https://qr.ae/pGMH7w

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You know that idea actually makes a lot of sense to me, I guess I just never thought about the tradeoffs like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

christmas boots posted:

I love that all types of cat behave exactly the same. Tigers do all the same bullshit a house cat does.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I love that all types of cat behave exactly the same. Tigers do all the same bullshit a house cat does.

luv 2 be screamed at by bengal tigers until I give them kibble

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

luv 2 be screamed at by bengal tigers until I give them kibble

You joke but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5-C6oQRAe8

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hodgepodge posted:

I think they laughed at "cats will just be replaced by raccoons" because raccoons do not, and would not, kill billions of songbirds every year just for fun (as was the original root of this conversation). Your arguments re: raccoons as apex predators and the effect of feral cats in New Zealand are a little afield from the original quarrel of "feral cats are a huge problem in the United States".

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 22:07 on Jul 14, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I think they laughed at "cats will be replaced by raccoons" because raccoons do not, and would not, kill billions of songbirds every year just for fun (as was the original root of this conversation). Your arguments re: raccoons as mesopredators and the effect of feral cats in New Zealand are a little afield from the original quarrel of "feral cats are a huge problem in the United States".

i sort of object to the idea that they do it for fun, some of the little actual evidence produced by studies as a result of all of this seems to indicate to me that they do it a) to satisfy an instinct that is not (but may be) satisfied in the home environment, and b) because people are feeding them lovely food (no goon actively participating in this conversation is not aware of the lovely pet food problem):

quote:

Researchers tested two existing methods thought to potentially inhibit predation by offering a “warning” to potential prey.

Bells: Bells fitted to cats’ collars are meant to give potential prey an auditory warning of a cat’s presence. Bells had no discernable effect on predation.

Birdbesafe: Birdbesafe collar covers are brightly colored “scrunchies” that fit onto a collar and are meant to offer a visual warning to potential prey. These reduced the number of birds caught by 42 percent but had no discernable effect on the number of small mammals killed.

They also tested three novel interventions:

High meat-protein food: Cats were provided a commercial grain-free food in which real meat (not rendered meat or meat meal) was the primary source of protein. Predation was decreased by 36 percent.

Object play: Cat guardians spent 5-10 minutes each day playing with their cat using a feather wand that simulated hunting behavior, so cats could stalk and pounce. Cats were also given a toy mouse to “kill.” Predation decreased by 25 percent.

Puzzles: Cats were given their existing food in a puzzle feeder. Predation increased by 33 percent. (I was surprised by this result!)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/all-dogs-go-heaven/202102/object-play-and-high-protein-food-reduce-predation-cats

the lesson is that.. making your cat do a dumb puzzle to get its food will lead to it taking out its aggression on local animals

e: that sort of misses the point that most of the concrete concern is feral cats, and what you do with your pet is probably going to have a varying impact depending on if there are vulnerable species in your area, but will not actually solve the problem at all (except insofar as you might contribute to the feral cat situation, but people here are spaying/neutering and not abandoning their pets).

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Jul 14, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
This is a really weird meltdown.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

it turns out that there's a reason for this: adapting to become a proper apex predator makes you vulnerable as all hell and you go extinct faster than your smaller mesopredator cousins. this has lead to saber tooth cats evolving and going extinct repeatedly

https://qr.ae/pGMH7w

Dumbasses, should've tried evolving into crabs instead

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

packetmantis posted:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

packetmantis posted:

separately, when did a meltdown become when someone doesn't agree with some consensus and talks about it, instead of say flipping out and acting crazy?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's just a cat, let it enjoy fresh air for a while.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

When we started getting more of the later than the former I believe.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't believe there's someone melting down about how cats totally don't kill huge numbers of birds you guys.

In apology for even commenting on that derail, here's some very big cats playing with boxes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11uu8L8FTY

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I genuinely love it when a thread derail takes up multiple pages and I skip ahead assuming it will be over soon and it's still going on days later.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I use a puzzle feeder with my cat so that if I'm ever trapped in a series of plastic tubes, my cat can free me access and eat my corpse

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Paladinus posted:

It's just a cat, let it enjoy fresh air for a while.

an good example

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hodgepodge posted:

i sort of object to the idea that they do it for fun, some of the little actual evidence produced by studies as a result of all of this seems to indicate to me that they do it a) to satisfy an instinct that is not (but may be) satisfied in the home environment, and b) because people are feeding them lovely food (no goon actively participating in this conversation is not aware of the lovely pet food problem):

I'd argue that the study you quoted showing reduced predation when the cat is given more adequate stimulation at home does point towards some cats hunting birds "for fun". But obviously I have lots of thoughts and words about outside cats inside of me and frankly I am quite pleased with myself for participating as little in this conversation as I have so shut up Bird get out of here!!!

lmbo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was given this avatar, I am not affiliated with cats in any official capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Paladinus posted:

I was given this avatar, I am not affiliated with cats in any official capacity.

That sounds like the sort of thing a cat might say.