Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is there a thread of smartphone emulation? If not I will post it here.

Got a gamesir x2 usbc gamepad and tried it on my 3 year old sd845 phone. Tried some wii games and I have no loving idea how to map the wii control schemes to the gamepad. However the gamepad is nearly identical to the gamecube controller layout. Tried a couple racing games and they play pretty well. IMO console racing games are way better than the android ones because the control is designed with a controller in mind. Smartphone racing games are basically 2-3 buttons tap tap tap games, no matter how good they good. And IMO phone games only have good resolution, in term of production value and music and poo poo they are just cheap.

Now I am hyped for getting a sd870 or 888 phone soon and run gamecube games in upscaled resolution. Gamecubes library is basically cutdown PS2 library, so I can still get partial PS2 fix.

edit: this video clued me in how to setup the wii control.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

What’s the best handheld for Ps1? Specifically looking for 2 decent analog sticks and all 4 shoulder buttons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chinook posted:

What’s the best handheld for Ps1? Specifically looking for 2 decent analog sticks and all 4 shoulder buttons.

RG351P or M

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

MarcusSA posted:

RG351P or M

Thank you. How does it stack up to a modded Vita?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The Vita has a native (depends on how you view "native") PS1 emulator that you can just inject PS1 games into. Pretty sure it handles everything from that era relatively well whereas the RG351 has some issues here and there.

It is smaller and nicer to hold, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

The Vita has a native (depends on how you view "native") PS1 emulator that you can just inject PS1 games into. Pretty sure it handles everything from that era relatively well whereas the RG351 has some issues here and there.

It is smaller and nicer to hold, though.

The vita is perfect for PSP and PS1 but not so 100% for SNES and other stuff.

If you have a Vita I'd just stick with that but if I were going to buy something I'd go with the RG351 TBH.

I also think the Vitas are pricer now but that depends on your market / area.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I do have a Vita but miss the R2 and L2 buttons for some games.. I have injected stuff through Adrenaline and it works well enough.

Does the 351 do a good job with Save states?

Also, the P and M are just plastic and metal variants, right? No other difference aside from price?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Compatibility for PS1 and PSP via Adrenaline is very, very good but not quite 100%. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's a comprehensive spreadsheet out there of what works and what doesn't.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Chinook posted:

Also, the P and M are just plastic and metal variants, right? No other difference aside from price?

the 351M has built-in wifi

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8

This has got me very tempted to pick one up, but the lack of a headphone jack is making me hesitate. I'd love something solid like this with no analog stick that I can just slip into my pocket to use when I'm not using my 351P. The GKD Mini is rad looking but it looks like OS support on it is... rough.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

USBC to 3.5mm supposedly works fine. Dongle life isn't ideal but at least it's an option

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This could be interesting.

https://twitter.com/steamdb/status/1415714993874612225?s=21

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, cool, the worst controller layout anybody's ever made

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

And I dunno now

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1415716241973514240?s=21

Really need to see the specs

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1415717074152816640?s=21

So for $399 it would be the fastest emulation handheld for that price. The aya Neo is much more expensive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Here is a hands on with it.

https://youtu.be/oLtiRGTZvGM

It seems to use the same CPU as the ps5?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MarcusSA posted:

Here is a hands on with it.

https://youtu.be/oLtiRGTZvGM

It seems to use the same CPU as the ps5?

It's a 4C/8T, 8 cu per the website, vs 8C/16T, 36 cu on the ps5.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

It's a 4C/8T, 8 cu per the website, vs 8C/16T, 36 cu on the ps5.

Ah got it.

It seems pretty drat powerful tbh

Like it should be able even emulate switch without issues.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Who knew Valve was making the Switch Pro this whole time.

It seems capable but at that price point it makes me wonder if I would really need or want it, though. Unless I don’t understand resolutions or this spec sheet right, it looks like it’s a 720p at 16:10 resolution screen (?) but the device can output up to 8K (??)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Who knew Valve was making the Switch Pro this whole time.

It seems capable but at that price point it makes me wonder if I would really need or want it, though. Unless I don’t understand resolutions or this spec sheet right, it looks like it’s a 720p at 16:10 resolution screen (?) but the device can output up to 8K (??)

Yeah you can hook it up to an external monitor and use it like a regular desktop.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It should be fine for the 1280x800 resolution. The website says it's using RDNA 2 gpu cores, which aren't available in any APUs outside of the new consoles, so it's hard to say just how strong it will be on that front.

E: also lol at taking up a bunch of space for touchpads, causing the buttons to be awkwardly jammed in the corner, since the steam controller was so rousingly popular.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It should be fine for the 1280x800 resolution. The website says it's using RDNA 2 gpu cores, which aren't available in any APUs outside of the new consoles, so it's hard to say just how strong it will be on that front.

E: also lol at taking up a bunch of space for touchpads, causing the buttons to be awkwardly jammed in the corner, since the steam controller was so rousingly popular.

Yeah I noticed that too but it has 4 buttons on the back so that should help with those issues.

The touchpads seem nice though tbh.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Missed those, that should be workable. Possibly a pain for those will small hands.

My few minutes with a steam controller were enough to sour me on thumb based touchpads as a primary control mechanism .

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Missed those, that should be workable. Possibly a pain for those will small hands.

My few minutes with a steam controller were enough to sour me on thumb based touchpads as a primary control mechanism .

Yeah I would never use a touchpad as a primary control device thats crazy.

Also the thumb sticks are full-sized so they are't just using the switch sticks which a lot of people hate.

For $399 (only $50 over the switch OLED and it should be able to emulate the switch lol) its going to be the most powerful portable emulation device you can buy and it can do a poo poo load more.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I would never use a touchpad as a primary control device thats crazy.

Also the thumb sticks are full-sized so they are't just using the switch sticks which a lot of people hate.

For $399 (only $50 over the switch OLED and it should be able to emulate the switch lol) its going to be the most powerful portable emulation device you can buy and it can do a poo poo load more.

Except the storage is a big question mark. The $399 model has 64GB of eMMC which seems crappy. You'd think you'd really want a NVME which doesn't appear to be an option unless you shell out $500. They have a microSD slot so you won't get VITA'd but depending on what you're doing that may not be a great option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And for the controller, the Steam Controller was amazing for some games and horrid for others. The touch piece seems definitely doable but you need to balance it a lot better than they did for the steam controller.

Though seriously, it made playing Civ 5 on a controller an actual good experience. That's kinda amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

Except the storage is a big question mark. The $399 model has 64GB of eMMC which seems crappy. You'd think you'd really want a NVME which doesn't appear to be an option unless you shell out $500. They have a microSD slot so you won't get VITA'd but depending on what you're doing that may not be a great option.

I'm honestly having trouble figuring out which emulation running games from the microSD would cause issues for.

Yeah 64GB is small but you can get a 512 microSD and be done with it.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
And it runs on Linux as well, interesting!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

busalover posted:

And it runs on Linux as well, interesting!

but can be wiped to run windows with no issues.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I'm honestly having trouble figuring out which emulation running games from the microSD would cause issues for.

Yeah 64GB is small but you can get a 512 microSD and be done with it.

If your intending to do switch emulation I'd think it'd be a hurdle, but I dunno enough about switch emulation

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

but can be wiped to run windows with no issues.

Depends on how the controller is connected. If it's just a USB device or a steam controller, sure, but if they're doing anything funky with it it could be a problem. All the sites covering it are down though, so getting info right now is difficult.

Running modern (non-switch) games off an SD card is going to be an exercise in pain.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Depends on how the controller is connected. If it's just a USB device or a steam controller, sure, but if they're doing anything funky with it it could be a problem. All the sites covering it are down though, so getting info right now is difficult.

Well in the IGN video Valve stated that wiping their OS and installing windows worked just fine so I'm just taking what they are saying about it.

I'm sure its just a regular USB controller though like all the other devices are doing (Aya Neo, GPD ect.)

I'm gonna throw my $5 down for a reservation and then think about it for a bit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Well in the IGN video Valve stated that wiping their OS and installing windows worked just fine so I'm just taking what they are saying about it.

I'm sure its just a regular USB controller though like all the other devices are doing (Aya Neo, GPD ect.)

I'm gonna throw my $5 down for a reservation and then think about it for a bit.

Yeah same, this is definitely my poo poo in terms of over-engineered and niche. I'm not sure what this solves in terms of emulation (PiBoy + hacked Vita have me real well covered), but this looks real fun to play around with.

And even if I don't use it for too much emulation the Steam thread looks scary.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The SteamBoy looks ugly to me.

I hope it does well though and the AAA handheld market grows. I want a Vita 2.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I got a GPD XD in 2015 and it is still kicking rear end. I am a sucker for the faux woodgrain though so I'm kinda eyeballing a RG351V. Is this a stupid, redundant decision based on aesthetics or has hardware improved enough in the past 5+ years that it is at least slightly justified?

Also Marcus, earlier in the thread you mentioned having a bricked XD. Have you tried this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I got a GPD XD in 2015 and it is still kicking rear end. I am a sucker for the faux woodgrain though so I'm kinda eyeballing a RG351V. Is this a stupid, redundant decision based on aesthetics or has hardware improved enough in the past 5+ years that it is at least slightly justified?

Also Marcus, earlier in the thread you mentioned having a bricked XD. Have you tried this?

Oh poo poo I have not! Thanks for that!

I'm gonna try and see if this works tomorrow or so.

The XD is a pretty kick rear end little device.

The RG351 should be more powerful and I've read that it can run some PS1 games at 2x.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The 351V is a very solid console with a great screen and community. It has no issues playing PS1 and everything prior with some N64/Dreamcast as a treat.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lockback posted:

I'm mostly wondering if you can open it up and swap the eMMC or SSD for a bigger one. Hopefully there'll be a teardown sooner rather than later.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Oh poo poo I have not! Thanks for that!

I'm gonna try and see if this works tomorrow or so.
:tipshat:

The XD is indeed a great device and I hope yours bounces back.

quote:

The XD is a pretty kick rear end little device.

The RG351 should be more powerful and I've read that it can run some PS1 games at 2x.

Rolo posted:

The 351V is a very solid console with a great screen and community. It has no issues playing PS1 and everything prior with some N64/Dreamcast as a treat.

Thanks guys! Probably going to have to pick one up. This thread rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Per valve, nope.