Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Ether Frenzy posted:

A restoration of your E91 wagon that you want to get $75k for on Bring A Ton of cash, or for a good car?

Just a general ballpark would be good. I know they restore cars up to factory spec, even removing aftermarket inner plastic wheel well guards and restore every single bit that is not up to spec or new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So update on my dumb car:

Water pump did fail, even though when I drove it to the dealership it was fine. Mechanic found what he said was a gently caress ton of oil leaks, a leaking left front shock and a perished tie rod end + plus rear brakes (knew these were getting close to needing done, will do myself) and rear tires that need replacing (although I don't know how, I have like 10k miles on this set and it's not like I'm doing burnouts everywhere)

Total invoice with a few other things I didn't mind paying the dealership for came out to like $8,700, with the non-consumables coming out to like $7200 or so. My CarMax warranty is covering everything besides the tires/brakes and some filters, which means they're eating like $6700 on this claim alone after my $500 deductible and making this warranty probably the single best purchase I've made in my adult life

rscott fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 14, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Now *THIS* is a CarMax warranty

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
haha God drat nice move buying the warranty

I would have been too cheap and just suffered through diying it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How does a sway bar link leak?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ball joint boot torn and grease coming out

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

ball joint boot torn and grease coming out

Yeah it's this

Also, I'm getting a loaner while the strut comes from Germany, so I don't have to drive an incredibly overpriced Nissan versa rental while I wait for it to get here

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rscott posted:

So update on my dumb car:

Water pump did fail, even though when I drove it to the dealership it was fine. Mechanic found what he said was a gently caress ton of oil leaks, a leaking left front shock and a perished tie rod end + plus rear brakes (knew these were getting close to needing done, will do myself) and rear tires that need replacing (although I don't know how, I have like 10k miles on this set and it's not like I'm doing burnouts everywhere)

Total invoice with a few other things I didn't mind paying the dealership for came out to like $8,700, with the non-consumables coming out to like $7200 or so. My CarMax warranty is covering everything besides the tires/brakes and some filters, which means they're eating like $6700 on this claim alone after my $500 deductible and making this warranty probably the single best purchase I've made in my adult life

What car is this again?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

What car is this again?

2013 135i

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

How elaborate is a droplink now wtf

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rscott posted:

2013 135i

These were like 10-15k pre-COVID right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

These were like 10-15k pre-COVID right?

Private party maybe, I paid $19k but it was with 44k miles and every option except iDrive

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Man this looks so much better to me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i saw some kind of 4-series in the dark green with dark gold accents and it looked loving good, the front was bad but not so horrifying. probably the M4XX as it was sporty lookin.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

rscott posted:

2013 135i

135i and a fuckton of oil leaks sure does check out

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The Big Jesus posted:

135i and a fuckton of oil leaks sure does check out

This is the second time the valve cover and OFHG are going to be replaced, under warranty in the last 2.5 years, but otoh I haven't had to put any oil in it between changes so at least it isn't burning any :v

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i saw some kind of 4-series in the dark green with dark gold accents and it looked loving good, the front was bad but not so horrifying. probably the M4XX as it was sporty lookin.

Gold accents must be aftermarket because this is the closest I could get in the configurator with an m440. It's a good green, for sure.

M4 has a better one though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the m5 cs is offered in a green/gold special edition

https://twitter.com/Rolex24Hours/status/1354842138178150402

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/are-the-2022-bmw-m5-cs-gold-accents-garish-or-gorgeous/

but maybe someone is emulating that look with custom aftermarket parts on a 4 series?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

the m5 cs is offered in a green/gold special edition

https://twitter.com/Rolex24Hours/status/1354842138178150402

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/are-the-2022-bmw-m5-cs-gold-accents-garish-or-gorgeous/

but maybe someone is emulating that look with custom aftermarket parts on a 4 series?

It looks so drat good and if you get it in grey, you're a horrible monster.

My first car was a dark green and gold Pontiac Bonneville so I'm extremely biased

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rscott posted:

2013 135i

Haha wow. How many miles?

A friend has a base 116 which seems to cost him $500 every time he visits the service, but nothing has actually failed or seriously leaked yet at least.

Good move with the warranty! Some of those prices are pretty :stare: well all of them are but in particular, $1.2k for oil filter gasket, $270 for one sway bar end links (was $10 for my Jazz), $500 for pads and rotors ($50 for the Miata). I'm thinking the ultimate driving machines might not be for me

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 15, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I hope that's not just *opens oil change kit box* "oil filter, $45; oil filter gasket, $1200; 6 qts oil $69 wait what"

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CarMax warranty is good, get as much out of it as you can. We bought it on the highlander which immediately paid for itself when we took it to the shop to be thoroughly looked over.

As for the $1200 oil filter gasket it's 95% or more labor charge of pulling the whole engine bay apart. Car wizard and Hoovie explain it pretty well here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I95LurFYbtg.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

CarMax warranty is good, get as much out of it as you can.

Absolutely. I had it on my e46 that I bought before the Doug Demuro Range Rover and they hiked the price. I think it was like $1500 or so. I had some kind of electrical issue with the Nav unit, took it to a BMW indy that was highly recommended, and told them I had MaxCare. They came back with a $9k estimate with all kinds of poo poo that I hadn't told them to check but was legitimate work that needed to be done. Cost me $250 out of pocket. Wish I still had a copy of that invoice, lol.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

It probably calls for the BMW Twin Power oil that is a specially formulated blend and runs about $20/quart. My M3 uses ten quarts of this stuff for every oil service :aslol:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Gold accents must be aftermarket because this is the closest I could get in the configurator with an m440. It's a good green, for sure.

it wasn't really gold accents, I was struggling to accurately describe them. was probably the top colors. The green looked quite different from that in the flesh but it had the dot grille of the M440 and was definitely not a M4

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
New 2 series looks like a pretty decent Japanese sports car

Hoping that M2 grille is fake because I don't want to have to choose between Ugly Squares and Ugly Triangles

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Dealership gave me a 2020 X3 xDrive xLine for a loaner idk this thing has so many Xs DMX is gonna give it to ya

The amount of tech in this thing is bonkers, the difference between it and my E82 feels as big as the difference between that and my E28, crazy to think how much has changed in 7 model years

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Had a dream last night that I bought some kind of 1 series hatchback thing that was way underpowered and regretted it. And when I say dream I mean nightmare

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/2007-bmw-335i-m-sport-touring-manual-w8eLQ4

Someone just sold a daft rare wagon in the uk too. And this was about double the last one I saw. Still thinking about the one in the states

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Had a dream last night that I bought some kind of 1 series hatchback thing that was way underpowered and regretted it. And when I say dream I mean nightmare

Define underpowered.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bape Culture posted:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/2007-bmw-335i-m-sport-touring-manual-w8eLQ4

Someone just sold a daft rare wagon in the uk too. And this was about double the last one I saw. Still thinking about the one in the states

To save everyone the trouble, "daft" means stupid, so he's saying it's a "stupid rare" wagon. :911:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bape Culture posted:

Based on google exchange rates this 83K mile example with a twin turbski N54 it sold for less than $13,500. The BaT car shows strongly that a stupid people are separated from money.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Define underpowered.
like a saab. i happily drive an N52 328 so i'm not exactly spoiled.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Based on google exchange rates this 83K mile example with a twin turbski N54 it sold for less than $13,500. The BaT car shows strongly that a stupid people are separated from money.

If they were as common here as in the UK or Europe and we had as lax import laws the prices would be a lot different.

Also I’m not even really sure I’d want an N54 as a daily, 10 year old BMW is already going to have enough maintenance and reliability stuff without adding in the N54. Can get mega power though with it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

And that’s an expensive one on a daft boomer site! Honestly I bet I could get one for $5000. I wonder if people are planning on expecting them or something.

Also daft doesn’t mean stupid as such. It’s more endearing. Like you’d call Freddy Flintoff daft. Top gear a daft show. That sort of thing.

Anyway I’m just happy to be back in mine.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Car prices are weird in England in general though and I think especially at the lower end the floor is way lower maybe because yearly registration stuff or not good money from scrap. But like a running car here has a hard floor of like $1000, like the most beat to poo poo rusted out but still running. And has been that for probably 20 years that kind of floor, legit back when classified were how you looked for cars and I was a kid under 10 dreaming about a car at 16 they were still all like $1500 absolute bottom. Part of that is cash for clunkers artificial floor but also part of that is market. Like a beat to poo poo Nissan Sentra with 200k miles that still mostly runs is going to be like $2k probably $3k at least right now.

E: bape your car loving owns

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Does anyone want an e46 Bentley manual? I haven't had an M3 in a long time and this monster is just taking up space on my shelf. PM an offer.

I think I used it to do the RTABs and the valve cover gasket and it was quite helpful.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Define underpowered.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

This concept was from 1995 and apparently the board loved it and the chairman loved it so much he drove it to some events he was attending.

https://youtu.be/jsemfFTVL3Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

This concept was from 1995 and apparently the board loved it and the chairman loved it so much he drove it to some events he was attending.

https://youtu.be/jsemfFTVL3Y

Chris Bangle saved us.