Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I wonder if it comes already smelling like unwashed armpits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/RevelryAmerican/status/1415419330381164544

So Mark Silvestri? Like not to take the word of a rando on it but if that's true then EVS could find himself ousted as top dog of his dopey little CG faction. (It's not relevant so I won't dwell but Matsuri has been a trash con since the beginning.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/RevelryAmerican/status/1415419330381164544

So Mark Silvestri? Like not to take the word of a rando on it but if that's true then EVS could find himself ousted as top dog of his dopey little CG faction. (It's not relevant so I won't dwell but Matsuri has been a trash con since the beginning.)

I don't know anything about Silvestri on a personal level, but either that's bullshit, or it's coinciding with launching a crowd funding thing for a book. And if he's being that mercenary about it, it makes more financial sense to be anti-comics gate and get creators currently working for the big two to tweet about your great kickstarter

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I don't know anything about Silvestri on a personal level, but either that's bullshit, or it's coinciding with launching a crowd funding thing for a book. And if he's being that mercenary about it, it makes more financial sense to be anti-comics gate and get creators currently working for the big two to tweet about your great kickstarter

It looks like Silvestri's entire social media footprint is devoted to his work, so if he's a chud, he's going way under the radar with it.

It's hard not to see this as pure wishful thinking by the CG types, though. Silvestri seems to mostly work behind the scenes at Top Cow right now, with people like Marguerite Bennett, and he just comfortably double-funded a Kickstarter for a Darkness hardcover collection in a day flat. There'd be no benefit for him to be associated with a known hate group.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Maybe they're right and they mean Mark Silvestri and not Marc Silvestri. Totally different people. Marc is the CEO of Image so I don't really see him throwing away his rep like that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Twitter account posted above was opened like three weeks ago, has six followers, mostly follows people they want to troll, and their non-CG-rumor tweets are pretty much exclusively ridiculous cartoonish/violent complaints about women, gays, Muslims, Black people, vaccines, etc.

Even if they had anything resembling authority/credibility, nothing about Marc Silvestri's track record or his social media footprint (or, and I realize this is a bit of a stretch but less than this rando, Silvestri's wife of 20+ years, who is way more active/vocally progressive on Twitter) suggests he would be amenable to Comicsgate, and especially not amenable to this random rear end in a top hat who didn't even get Silvestri's name right.

And yeah, Silvestri is the current CEO of Image Comics, and the CEO of Top Cow, which launched a Kickstarted yesterday that is at $86,500 towards its 30,000 goal in under 24 hours, so it's not as if he needs it as a cash grab either.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Comicsgate is going to turn into the Asylum of comics companies and just get knock off creators.

MARK SILVESTRI
TODD MCFAIRLANE
STAN LI
JACK GIRBY
DERIK LARSON
JOHN BURNE
ALAN MORE
BRIAN BENDITS
MARK MILLER
STEVE DIKTO
JOSS WHEDON

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Maybe they're right and they mean Mark Silvestri and not Marc Silvestri. Totally different people. Marc is the CEO of Image so I don't really see him throwing away his rep like that.

Given what just happened with Warren Ellis I tend to agree with you.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think we can do better in this thread than just circulating completely unsourced and fairly ludicrous rumor-mongering and trolling. I guess if Marc Silvestri really does pipe up and say he's involved with ComicsGate I'll eat my hat, but like... is there anything about that tweet, or the person who tweeted it, that would give any reasonable reader cause to take it as credible? I don't think so, so why post it here? It's just, in all likelihood, an awful person saying awful stuff, and gawking at it feels like an even split between rubbernecking and masochism.

I think the idea of this thread-- and I get I'm maybe being a little idealistic-- is to discuss problems, especially systemic problems, in the comics industry and comics culture, ideally in order to think about better ways to move through that industry or culture and exist inside of it as readers and fans. Not to just trawl twitter for the most wretched spectacles and say "hey check it out this guy on twitter called @CharlieBrownshirt69 says Kris Clairmount is going to blow up a post-office in two weeks."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I think we can do better in this thread than just circulating completely unsourced and fairly ludicrous rumor-mongering and trolling. I guess if Marc Silvestri really does pipe up and say he's involved with ComicsGate I'll eat my hat, but like... is there anything about that tweet, or the person who tweeted it, that would give any reasonable reader cause to take it as credible? I don't think so, so why post it here? It's just, in all likelihood, an awful person saying awful stuff, and gawking at it feels like an even split between rubbernecking and masochism.

I think the idea of this thread-- and I get I'm maybe being a little idealistic-- is to discuss problems, especially systemic problems, in the comics industry and comics culture, ideally in order to think about better ways to move through that industry or culture and exist inside of it as readers and fans. Not to just trawl twitter for the most wretched spectacles and say "hey check it out this guy on twitter called @CharlieBrownshirt69 says Kris Clairmount is going to blow up a post-office in two weeks."

Pretty sure this thread is about dunking on stupid hats.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

X-O posted:

Comicsgate is going to turn into the Asylum of comics companies and just get knock off creators.

MARK SILVESTRI
TODD MCFAIRLANE
STAN LI
JACK GIRBY
DERIK LARSON
JOHN BURNE
ALAN MORE
BRIAN BENDITS
MARK MILLER
STEVE DIKTO
JOSS WHEDON

Erik Larsen has to take out Eric Larsen, Erik Larson, and Eric Larson in a Highlander-style royal rumble.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Pretty sure this thread is about dunking on stupid hats.

hopefully hw doesn't have to eat it

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't have that hat, too worried about stealing valor

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't like the fetishization of the military we have in America, but I understand it somewhat. Trying to appropriate it for yelling at women and minorities online is just next level. But fascists do that all the time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

There's always room for more in the 132nd Chairborne Regiment. I mean, there's no valor in it, but it's far better than cg stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

MARK SILVESTRI
TODD MCFAIRLANE
STAN LI
JACK GIRBY
DERIK LARSON
JOHN BURNE
ALAN MORE
BRIAN BENDITS
MARK MILLER
STEVE DIKTO
JOSS WHEDON

Please. Asylum has too much integrity to hire Joss Whedon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

And why would they need "Mark" Miller when Mike is available?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I literally bought The Darkness compendium vol. 1 earlier this week so if Marc Silvestri turns out to be a CGer I'm going to be pissed. :blastu:

But his wife seems really progressive so I highly doubt he wants anything to do with CG.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Jedit posted:

And why would they need "Mark" Miller when Mike is available?

What about his blond twin brother Matt Miller

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
THR has an article on DC and (more so) Marvel’s pattern of paying little to nothing to comic creators whose characters are adapted into other media.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-and-dcs-shut-up-money-comic-creators-go-public-over-pay-1234983043/

This passage stood out:

quote:

Credit can be so important that it can even lead to surprising behavior. THR learned of an instance in which the co-creator of an A-list DC character secretly maneuvered behind-the-scenes to have themselves listed as the sole creator on paper, with regard to merchandise or adaptations, cutting their partner out of payments. According to a knowledgeable source, the other co-creator only learned of this maneuvering years later when a Warner Bros. theatrical employee noticed the discrepancy ahead of the release of a movie featuring the character. (The wronged co-creator now receives payments, but is said to not be on friendly terms with their former collaborator.)

is this referring to Harley Quinn and to Dini/Timm? I can’t think of too many other A-list DC characters who were created recently enough that both their creators would still be alive, but I haven’t exactly been following either of them closely.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
If it's about comic creators, probably not? She was created for the cartoon.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Cyborg is the only other possibility that comes to mind.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Uthor posted:

If it's about comic creators, probably not? She was created for the cartoon.

it doesn’t say that the character in question originated in comics, though

Thranguy posted:

Cyborg is the only other possibility that comes to mind.

Yeah, that’s the other possibility, I still have a hard time thinking of Cyborg as A-list but he’s close enough

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 17, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Could they be talking about Bob Kane and Bill Finger?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Could they be talking about Bob Kane and Bill Finger?

Bob Kane was listed as sole creator of Batman until decades after Bill Finger's death. Unless they're talking about the '66 Adam West film Bill Finger was long dead before any other Batman films came out and I have to think his estate knew about the credit problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

THR has an article on DC and (more so) Marvel’s pattern of paying little to nothing to comic creators whose characters are adapted into other media.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-and-dcs-shut-up-money-comic-creators-go-public-over-pay-1234983043/

This passage stood out:

is this referring to Harley Quinn and to Dini/Timm? I can’t think of too many other A-list DC characters who were created recently enough that both their creators would still be alive, but I haven’t exactly been following either of them closely.

I will say, unless Ta Nehessi Coates is speaking about general support of comic writers and artists (this article focuses too much on writers) nothing in the Black Panther movie was created by him as near as I can tell. Brubaker has a good argument. He didn't create Bucky, but he created the Winter Soldier, but again, what about the artist who designed the look, no mention of that. And movie Winter Soldier is one of the most comic accurate looks in film.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Skwirl posted:

I will say, unless Ta Nehessi Coates is speaking about general support of comic writers and artists (this article focuses too much on writers) nothing in the Black Panther movie was created by him as near as I can tell. Brubaker has a good argument. He didn't create Bucky, but he created the Winter Soldier, but again, what about the artist who designed the look, no mention of that. And movie Winter Soldier is one of the most comic accurate looks in film.

I read that quote as being entirely about Christopher Priest.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thranguy posted:

I read that quote as being entirely about Christopher Priest.

I can see that, it's just coming right after the Brubaker Quote where he actually created the version of Bucky that appeared in Winter Soldier, it may have made me a bit cynical.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think at least one clause in that article's blind item might be confused/misleading. Based on what it says, it has to be an "A-List character" specifically from their movies with two or more living creators, one of whom maneuvered to deny credit/royalties to the other(s) in the recent past. Both of the parties are (at least until recently) alive, and no longer on good terms.

That eliminates (for instance) Kane/Finger/Robinson, since Finger has been dead since the early 1970s, and Kane since 1998.

My first thought was either Harley Quinn or Cyborg, but Dini/Timm seem to have consistently been given co-creation credit for the character in official DC material, though I could imagine the possibility of end-run chicanery on the order of "the cartoon version sure, but the comic book version was first written by Paul Dini and drawn by someone else, therefore... ..." There is a history of Warner doing weird things like that for lesser characters and arguing that if you take the original Golden Age character's real name and mix it with the modern age character's real name and tweak the modern age version's costume slightly, this is actually a third character freshly created for the television series, therefore no royalties are needed!

Cyborg is a second strong possibility, though from all accounts Wolfman and Perez are still good friends, in recent years they've done a series of signings/convention panels together discussing their long partnership, including several after Justice League came out, and the two of them voiced versions of themselves in an episode of Teen Titans Go! that came out barely a month ago. I suppose it's possible they're secret enemies, but they're putting on a good act if that's the case.

Bane and Doomsday are reasonable possibilities, both of them have that sort of "creation by committee" thing going where the concept for the character came up in a creative summit, was sort of pitched to the room by the line editor, then introduced in a crossover. It's possible that the creator(s) who did more work with the character later (Dixon/Nolan for Bane, Dan Jurgens for Doomsday) worked to push aside Doug Moench/Denny O'Neil/Louise Simonson/etc. when it came time for royalty checks.

People have pointed to Huntress, which stretches "A-List" pretty far, there was at least one animated series that lists "Huntress created by Paul Levitz". Currently, at least in comics material, Huntress has four credited creators, and their generally agreed upon origin story is "inker Bob Layton started pushing to introduce Batgirl into the Earth-2 Justice Society run he was inking. Series writer Paul Levitz thought Barbara Gordon was boring, but series penciller Joe Staton wanted more women on the team, so they agreed to do a character who was Batman and Catwoman's daughter. Joe Staton did a mock up of this new Cat-Influenced Batgirl, editor Joe Orlando pitched some tweaks/suggested some elements from non-DC Golden Age character Black Cat's costume, and then Levitz came up with the name Huntress and the character's backstory. Then after Crisis on Infinite Earths, Joey Cavalieri/Joe Staton did a one-shot that established that Huntress was Helena Bertinelli, the daughter of a mob boss who turned to crime fighting, excising all of the "daughter of Batman/Catwoman" stuff. That book was apparently suggested to Staton/shephered by Levitz, who was by this time DC's publisher.

Regardless of how much stock you put into Layton/Orlando/Cavalieri/Bob Haney/etc.'s contributions, it seems pretty clear the character was not solely created by Paul Levitz. However: Layton, Cavalieri, and Staton all receive the same level of credit (special thanks) in the Birds of Prey credits. This could be a "this was fixed between the problem being discovered and the film being released" and it feels weird to write an article that praises Levitz and then blind-item buries him a couple of paragraphs later.

Beyond that it gets really into the weeds for "A-Listers" with two living creators and significant movie appearances. Amanda Waller? Black Mask? Cassandra Cain? Renee Montoya (Dini/Timm again)? Slipknot? Maxwell Lord?

Skwirl posted:

The TNC interview is linked right in the Hollywood Reporter article,

quote:

I’m not talking about myself here, because I feel like I’m somebody who is fortunate in the sense that I’ve been able to make a living in all kinds of other ways. But there are people who make their living off of comic books. And I wish that Marvel found better ways to compensate the creators who helped make Black Panther Black Panther. I wish that they found better ways to compensate the folks who made Captain America Captain America.

I’m talking very specifically here, I wish they found ways to compensate the author of the greatest Winter Soldier stories that you’re ever going to read. I don’t love that there’s a Falcon and Winter Soldier show on TV and I’m hearing from Ed [Brubaker] that he can’t even get in contact with ... I just don’t love that. I don’t love that. Look, I had a great time. I had a tremendous, tremendous time writing for Marvel. I am indebted to Marvel.

I love my editors, Wil, Tom, Alana, Sara, Martin ... Chris. I had great people working with me. The corporate side of this, though ... the corporate side of this is not pretty. It’s not pretty at all. How you treat people who create the basis for this, I don’t love it.
He is explicitly talking about Brubaker here, and the "the creators who helped make Black Panther Black Panther" are likely also not Coates himself in this context.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 17, 2021

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

Beyond that it gets really into the weeds for "A-Listers" with two living creators and significant movie appearances. Amanda Waller? Black Mask? Cassandra Cain? Renee Montoya (Dini/Timm again)? Slipknot? Maxwell Lord?

Steel?
One hopes there's not some technically fitting but outright deceptive version of this where it's an Alan Moore property like John Constantine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

The TNC interview is linked right in the Hollywood Reporter article,

He is explicitly talking about Brubaker here, and the "the creators who helped make Black Panther Black Panther" are likely also not Coates himself in this context.

It's a failure of the article if I have to click a second link to properly understand what a quoted person is saying and again doesn't bring up the artists role in creating or defining these characters.

I am glad to find out Ta Nehesi Coates isn't an rear end in a top hat though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Thranguy posted:

Steel?
One hopes there's not some technically fitting but outright deceptive version of this where it's an Alan Moore property like John Constantine.

I could see it being Amanda Waller and it was Byrne getting credit.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

It's a failure of the article if I have to click a second link to properly understand what a quoted person is saying and again doesn't bring up the artists role in creating or defining these characters.

I am glad to find out Ta Nehesi Coates isn't an rear end in a top hat though.
I don't think that most articles excerpt the entirety of the articles they're citing, and I guess outside of you reading darkly (which is not entirely unfounded) into the paraphrasing of the Hollywood Reporter article both accurately paraphrases the interview and also links directly to it, which is more than many pieces do. They make it incredibly easy to click a link and see that yes, TNC says he is not talking about himself, talks about the "creators" who define the characters, and then refers to the Ed Brubaker (a writer) interview

The article overall quotes/cites the following creators:

Ed Brubaker (writer)
Ta-Nehisi Coates (writer)
Jerry Siegel (writer)
Joe Shuster (artist)
Jim Starlin (writer/artist)
Len Wein (writer)
"Jeff" Loeb (writer)
Tim Sale (artist)
Todd McFarlane (artist)
Roy Thomas (writer)
Bill Finger (writer)
Bob Kane (writer/artist)
An unnamed creative team that presumably includes an artist

I can see how that is out of balance. I will also say that this is more of a systemic problem then something to lie at the feet of TNC or Ed Brubaker or the Hollywood Reporter columnist being assholes -- Brubaker himself repeatedly mentions Steve Epting in his interview that is discussed in the opening part of the THR article, talks about how "we" created Winter Soldier and "we" didn't get invited to the premiere and "we" received an insultingly low check for X or Y, and then all of the headlines in and out of comics are "Ed Brubaker says he got screwed for his creation".

bobkatt013 posted:

I could see it being Amanda Waller and it was Byrne getting credit.
The only reason that seems unlikely to me is that out of Waller's three credited creators, John Ostrander and Len Wein are both on much better terms/were actively working with DC Comics much more recently. Byrne last worked with DC in 2006, at which point he ragequit and called them all fools for like the fourth time in thirty years. His involvement with Amanda Waller appears to be primarily drawing her first appearance in the Legends mini-series.

Ostrander is probably the creator most associated with Waller, and has worked with DC/on the character more recently in the 2010s.

Len Wein passed away in 2017, but worked with DC as recently as 2014 and was also an editor there for the better part of a decade. As the editor of both Watchmen and Crisis on Infinite Earths (and the launch of New Teen Titans) Wein was probably the person with the deepest connection to DC offices and the most reason to keep happy/around for anniversary retrospectives/hardcover introductions/etc.

If anyone got cheated out of Waller credit temporarily, Byrne seems like the likeliest candidate; I don't see how he would have maneuvered around Ostrander/Wein, and if he was the one who got screwed I can't imagine him keeping quiet about it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Well, like the old saying goes, "Never meet your heroes."

https://twitter.com/lewislarosa/status/1418374246187864065?s=20

https://twitter.com/lewislarosa/status/1418517265843097602?s=20

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo. Remender not looking good there at all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, gently caress that guy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm an idiot and can't follow what's being said there. Can someone give me a breakdown?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm an idiot and can't follow what's being said there. Can someone give me a breakdown?

Looks to me like Lewis expected royalties on the work he did on the apparently very successful The Scumbag, but instead Remender ghosted him.

In response to the other creators pointing out instances of being shafted on royalties.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kalli posted:

Looks to me like Lewis expected royalties on the work he did on the apparently very successful The Scumbag, but instead Remender ghosted him.

In response to the other creators pointing out instances of being shafted on royalties.

Well that sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know anything of Larosa personally but his art is pretty loving great and he clearly puts a lot of time into it. It's a drat shame Remender is doing that to him, if it's what it appears to be.