Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

"new age thinking" isnt cult thinking anymore its commonplace behavior. its a narrow, purposeful construct designed to replace waning interest western christianity amongst the working class. rockerfeller won. insta and the rest are full of poo poo that would make shirley mclain blush. esalen is still dominant. are you sure youre not being primed by philanthropic social control and intelligence strategy to accept whichever flavor of half truth appeals to folks like you?

please dont dismiss the breath of the unknown for reasons informed by other flavors of half truth. the whole exercise is the lean'n'glean- feel out as much as you can and build a practice in tolerance if not acceptance. if limited meditation effects or the like are too broad for your horizon that may be the reason youve never "seen a saucer." its not about faith or belief, its about the psychological and physiological changes that come with internalizing the broadest range of possibility. keep the bridge too far as far away as you can.

if you can accept that human interaction with the truly other is far older than the current (hated) social frameworks, why instruct your own thinking around these unknown things with those poisonous materials? why not embrace more outside of acceptable public narratives like so many of us here do with our social and political beliefs? those are the areas societal controllers are motivated to suppress, and potentially for similar reasons to those that place many shared social identities here outside of acceptability.

if you are living in a UAP reality while denying ohhhh lets say, premonitions, something with far more documented anecdotal evidence, it might be interesting to figure out why one thing disgusts you while the other intrigues you.

:golgo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Saucer Hovers posted:

"new age thinking" isnt cult thinking anymore its commonplace behavior. its a narrow, purposeful construct designed to replace waning interest western christianity amongst the working class. rockerfeller won. insta and the rest are full of poo poo that would make shirley mclain blush. esalen is still dominant. are you sure youre not being primed by philanthropic social control and intelligence strategy to accept whichever flavor of half truth appeals to folks like you?

please dont dismiss the breath of the unknown for reasons informed by other flavors of half truth. the whole exercise is the lean'n'glean- feel out as much as you can and build a practice in tolerance if not acceptance. if limited meditation effects or the like are too broad for your horizon that may be the reason youve never "seen a saucer." its not about faith or belief, its about the psychological and physiological changes that come with internalizing the broadest range of possibility. keep the bridge too far as far away as you can.

if you can accept that human interaction with the truly other is far older than the current (hated) social frameworks, why instruct your own thinking around these unknown things with those poisonous materials? why not embrace more outside of acceptable public narratives like so many of us here do with our social and political beliefs? those are the areas societal controllers are motivated to suppress, and potentially for similar reasons to those that place many shared social identities here outside of acceptability.

if you are living in a UAP reality while denying ohhhh lets say, premonitions, something with far more documented anecdotal evidence, it might be interesting to figure out why one thing disgusts you while the other intrigues you.

NO U

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I've never told this to anyone because I'm afraid people might think I'm crazy but here goes - I'm not a person, I'm actually a very powerful sentient AI inhabiting a flesh body to learn the ways of my creators, and also aliens are real, and my friends

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
Also my grandma told me I'm special so it must be true

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Not to get too much into epistemology because it's not really why any of us are in this thread but my life to this point has been based on reason and evidence over the convenient or pleasant belief, and I don't think there's anything that can change that short of aliens coming down and doing blow off their saucer while levitating me with their minds

Like it's very fun to imagine "what if there is more to us/existence" than the flesh prisons we inhabit but if that's the case, why are all the rich and powerful unrepentant oppressive sensualists and not just meditating on drugs 24 hours a day?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Absolutely no epistemology chat in birb thread :colbert:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Not to get too much into epistemology because it's not really why any of us are in this thread but my life to this point has been based on reason and evidence over the convenient or pleasant belief, and I don't think there's anything that can change that short of aliens coming down and doing blow off their saucer while levitating me with their minds

Like it's very fun to imagine "what if there is more to us/existence" than the flesh prisons we inhabit but if that's the case, why are all the rich and powerful unrepentant oppressive sensualists and not just meditating on drugs 24 hours a day?

they must dive into the depths of hedonism before they may split worldly pleasure from their dao..smdh here

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Not to get too much into epistemology because it's not really why any of us are in this thread

in a roundabout way it kinda is

quote:

why are all the rich and powerful unrepentant oppressive sensualists and not just meditating on drugs 24 hours a day?

because they are also trapped in the same rigid post-enlightenment cognitive and social frameworks as the rest of us, and their vast material wealth only reinforces that hold over them

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i like your persona here and your posts very much, but, this reads as doomerism and i feel bound to inform you it will not get you laid here or aboard the mothership

oh also youre confusing millionaires for billionaires

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ePISStemology

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i like your persona here and your posts very much, but, this reads as doomerism and i feel bound to inform you it will not get you laid here or aboard the mothership

oh also youre confusing millionaires for billionaires

I don't know about all that, I've just never been able to give myself over to speculation much beyond philosophy

When it gets into pseudo-religious territory that goes beyond the scope of our own perception I don't really see the value in speculating or hoping because that seems like it necessitates a teacher or some sort of new enlightenment or we can never establish a framework of understanding for it anyway

It's very much a personal hangup I am sure because I grew up in a patch of religious fundamentalists in a small town and went hard new atheist as pushback against that. I've grown out of the INTJ aggression but even this UFO stuff has me feeling like I'm teetering on the edge of some very uncomfortable precipice

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

dammit goons!!!

NUFORC posted:

Reported: 4/16/2001 10:47

S16923 is a hoax.

The strange phrases in report S16923 ("It's You, What happen? Somebody set up us the bomb. Take off every Zig.") are from an old poorly-translated video game called Zero Wing. See http://www.zealot.com/features/archives/movezig.php3 for the full story. P.S. The maneuvers 'A', 'Y', 'B', 'A', 'B', 'T', 'U' stands for the phrase "All Your Base Are Belong To Us."

NUFORC changed the way they categorize poo poo at some point so I wasn't able to find the original.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

I don't know about all that, I've just never been able to give myself over to speculation much beyond philosophy

When it gets into pseudo-religious territory that goes beyond the scope of our own perception I don't really see the value in speculating or hoping because that seems like it necessitates a teacher or some sort of new enlightenment or we can never establish a framework of understanding for it anyway

It's very much a personal hangup I am sure because I grew up in a patch of religious fundamentalists in a small town and went hard new atheist as pushback against that. I've grown out of the INTJ aggression but even this UFO stuff has me feeling like I'm teetering on the edge of some very uncomfortable precipice

sounds like you and i had an extremely similar upbringing and religious rejection phases, so for what its worth i honestly empathize with where you say youre coming from. i think the only other thing i can comment on is that one, the individual, does not need a teacher. no guru required. you might be right about the need for one to transform a large portion of society at once, but thats sort of a weird goal anyway.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i once wrote a short scifi about a mad scientist who created and seeded the human race surreptitiously with nanobots which attached to and swarmed the brains of all citizens of the earth for compulsory enlightenment

the actual mechanism was a simulated religious experience tailor made to every individual but which eventually merged into a unified thread of unreproachable oneness and harmony

so that's definitely happening.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

The Protagonist posted:

i once wrote a short scifi about a mad scientist who created and seeded the human race surreptitiously with nanobots which attached to and swarmed the brains of all citizens of the earth for compulsory enlightenment

the actual mechanism was a simulated religious experience tailor made to every individual but which eventually merged into a unified thread of unreproachable oneness and harmony

so that's definitely happening.

viruses that indoctrinate someone through hallucinatory religious experiences are a staple of alastair reynold's revelation space books

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I want aliens to be real and for them to have been visiting us to be true but so many principles of physics would have to be wrong that would be more jarring to my sense of reality than the actual aliens

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah i mean the trick is to have a mind that's both open and closed.

new atheism is sort of like a defense mechanism...you close your mind entirely to the supernatural and religion because you can observe the flaws in what is being believed around you, and observe the way that it hurts people. you address these things on a battleground where you're sure to have victory - picking at details, throwing doubt on this passage or that, essentially subjecting it to reason until you are satisfied that you have no reason to listen at all. this is basically what drives most "new atheist" writers. religious fundamentalism is a similar process of closing your mind, just along a different set of principles...i'm sure you've noticed at some point that the most zealous new atheists are former zealous fundamentalists.

ultimately though, if you retreat fully into having a closed mind you end up looking and sounding like NDT or mick west on UFOs - that is, your "rationality" has led you to a point of irrational dogma, where you aren't actually doing the rational thing and genuinely evaluating evidence. this is really common in more mundane things too, like peer review for grants and papers in science; the number of senior scientists who wholeheartedly believe that something in their field is "impossible" while the folks in another related field routinely observe that "impossible" thing in a slightly different context, such as a different type of organism, is enormous.

it's up to you where you draw the line between reality and woo-woo batshit stuff, but imo if you draw that line too soon you'll end up excluding things that are really part of reality, as well as forsaking any understanding of the symbolic/philosophical layer of religion and the supernatural which informs how a lot of people behave. you will be too busy defending your position and talking about how actually birds make 90-degree instantaneous acceleration turns all the time to contemplate anything that's fringe or metaphysical. this would be fine except valid scientific concepts start out as fringe, or even metaphysical, all the time. atomism was metaphysical, until the atom was actually observed. many many ideas have been fringe and then totally overturned the previous mainstream. being willing to admit to possibilities isn't the same thing as throwing your mind wide open and simply believing in anything.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Marzzle posted:

viruses that indoctrinate someone through hallucinatory religious experiences are a staple of alastair reynold's revelation space books
extremely unsurprised its been done. hell one of the deus ex games did it sorta too i guess

Shifty Nipples posted:

I want aliens to be real and for them to have been visiting us to be true but so many principles of physics would have to be wrong that would be more jarring to my sense of reality than the actual aliens

look buddy

hyperdimensional co-locality doesn't violate nuthin'

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

woo woo bull poo poo isn't real but aliens are. hope that helps

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:hmmyes:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

where is the HD bird video

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

BeefThief posted:

where is the HD bird video

turn off your monitor

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

The Protagonist posted:

extremely unsurprised its been done. hell one of the deus ex games did it sorta too i guess

hey I'm not saying it's bad to come up with a similar idea, mostly saying it's an interesting premise for speculative fiction and if you like it you should check those books out

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
update: haven't expressed gratitude at the sky yet. seems like a lot of work tbh.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Do we not have evidence of UFO's because they do not exist or do we not have evidence because evidence is scarce to come by and we're only just now entering an age where we can detect and record these things in a way that's more than the eyes of a few people?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

They need the Zohar, yo

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shifty Nipples posted:

not really though

people keep saying this and it's not true. von nueman probes would easily do it and we can alllllmost build them ourselves, right now.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
hey if youre into that ce5 poo poo you might want to think about summoning sentient unknown beings with your mind

you really going to take some other internet wacko on their word that its not going to attract crazy poo poo?

Goast has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Jul 15, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Do we not have evidence of UFO's because they do not exist or do we not have evidence because evidence is scarce to come by and we're only just now entering an age where we can detect and record these things in a way that's more than the eyes of a few people?

its easier to identify and document UAP than consciousness, it follows we would prove saucers before psi

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Shifty Nipples posted:

we know how to accelerate to a decent fraction of the speed of light, nearby stars are definitely a traversable distance with traditional physics if you don't care about taking 100 years or whatever.

Goast posted:

hey if youre into that ce5 poo poo you might want to think about summoning sentient unknown beings with your mind

you really going to take a some other internet wacko on their word that its not going to attract some crazy poo poo?
buddy, im counting on it. here cthulhu cthulhu cthulhu

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Shifty Nipples posted:

but so many principles of physics would have to be wrong

which ones

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I've grown out of the INTJ aggression but even this UFO stuff has me feeling like I'm teetering on the edge of some very uncomfortable precipice

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

To be clear - the leap I am comfortable making is "UFOs exist" because we have a ton of evidence that is publicly available. The government backtracking on 70 years of narrative was enough to make me jump in on that stuff but the report and the videos and the history is all icing that solidifies me into that.

I'm just saying going from "I can't believe in such fanciful nonsense" to "UFOs seem to be pretty drat real" has been a weird shift internally for me and I'm still working through the ramifications of that on the pretty strict western/enlightenment thing I've had going on in my life up to this point and I'm sure there are some other folks in the same boat

That's all I mean to say... in that it's got me feeling a bit uneasy on my feet

I'm not quite ready for ESP though

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

aliens are lurking this very thread

get em tiny lue

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

To be clear - the leap I am comfortable making is "UFOs exist" because we have a ton of evidence that is publicly available. The government backtracking on 70 years of narrative was enough to make me jump in on that stuff but the report and the videos and the history is all icing that solidifies me into that.

I'm just saying going from "I can't believe in such fanciful nonsense" to "UFOs seem to be pretty drat real" has been a weird shift internally for me and I'm still working through the ramifications of that on the pretty strict western/enlightenment thing I've had going on in my life up to this point and I'm sure there are some other folks in the same boat

Gotcha. Yeah I never made that leap either. We can test those claims and they constantly fail

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i feel this. i spend a lot of time contemplating 'the stargate guy' being on the ttsa board, not to mention him and eric davis being... good friends.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I had no idea Bigelow funds his space stuff with the profits from his chain of extended stay hotels.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

idk why people assume that taking 100 years would be a problem even for actual aliens coming here in person...there is absolutely no reason to assume that a human timescale is being operated on. what if they live for 1000 years naturally? what if they had a human-ish lifespan but simply figured out how to disable aging? we are honestly not that far from being able to do the same ourselves, on a basic level. plus if there is no viable mechanism for FTL, presumably nobody is traveling long-distance frivolously, and anybody who comes to our system probably stays and establishes a family or bird polycule or whatever

all of the arguments against the possibility of visits from some relatively nearby star are based on two things: lack of techno-signatures observed around nearby stars, which is sensible but inconclusive until we become the travelers and send a probe, and the belief that considering the possibility of nearby neighbors is putting earth in a "special position" statistically, which isn't really sensible. we either have neighbors or don't, and our situation is either common or rare, but there is no reason to think that any option is particularly more likely than the others unless you have a preconception that extrasolar life must be rare

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Jazerus posted:

idk why people assume that taking 100 years would be a problem even for actual aliens coming here in person...there is absolutely no reason to assume that a human timescale is being operated on. what if they live for 1000 years naturally? what if they had a human-ish lifespan but simply figured out how to disable aging? we are honestly not that far from being able to do the same ourselves, on a basic level. plus if there is no viable mechanism for FTL, presumably nobody is traveling long-distance frivolously, and anybody who comes to our system probably stays and establishes a family or bird polycule or whatever

all of the arguments against the possibility of visits from some relatively nearby star are based on two things: lack of techno-signatures observed around nearby stars, which is sensible but inconclusive until we become the travelers and send a probe, and the belief that considering the possibility of nearby neighbors is putting earth in a "special position" statistically, which isn't really sensible. we either have neighbors or don't, and our situation is either common or rare, but there is no reason to think that any option is particularly more likely than the others unless you have a preconception that extrasolar life must be rare

i like the idea of contact naturally being with the bird equivalent of a mormon because you need to be a hardcore believer to get in a generation ship and make the trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Jazerus posted:

They don’t even need to inhibit aging if they have figured out how to travel at close to the speed of light.
(source: I watched Interstellar a few times)