Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

lmao

https://twitter.com/Buttwasted/status/1414993245126512648

(People think is chris hemsworth body with a photoshopped Ryan Reynolds face)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

howe_sam posted:

The bit about fridging was the best part of that.

The fact that was brought up and they failed to mention Green Lantern at all is a crime. Or maybe that was their Green Lantern nod. They may not have been allowed to mention it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jamesman posted:

It's nice to see that Marvel/Disney seem to be keen on letting Reynolds have the free reign he did in the first two movies and not shying away from what made Deadpool fun in those movies.

And also, I'm pretty sure this video is way better than Free Guy is going to be.

I like the idea, but I think it'd get stale after... oh, about 4 minutes and 27 seconds. Of course I'm also an old man who has lost the ability to feel joy, so that's a factor.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

X-O posted:

The fact that was brought up and they failed to mention Green Lantern at all is a crime. Or maybe that was their Green Lantern nod. They may not have been allowed to mention it.

my guess is the latter

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Black Widow spoilers: We don't know if Red Guardian is just bullshitting about having a showdown with Cap in the 80s, but the way he brings it up with Natasha it seems as if he genuinely believes it to be true. He obviously would notice if it were Isaiah Bradley and not Steve Rogers. This hints at the possibility that Steve Rogers continued to work in secret after he has gone back to the 40s in Endgame and addresses the complaint that Steve wouldn't be able to sit on the sidelines of terrible events that some had. This is my head-canon now even though it's most likely that Red Guardian is BSing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Regarding Black Widow: If there’s one thing we’ve learned in the MCU it’s that everyone on the planet has been trying to make another Captain America since he fell in the ice. I’m guessing Alexei fought one of the many attempts.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
At first I was thinking it was false memories but then they never confirmed it so I guess not.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
More BW spoilers:

Another option is Hydra doing a false flag attack by sending Bucky out dressed as Cap to increase tensions between the US and USSR to their own ends.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AngryBooch posted:

Black Widow spoilers: We don't know if Red Guardian is just bullshitting about having a showdown with Cap in the 80s, but the way he brings it up with Natasha it seems as if he genuinely believes it to be true. He obviously would notice if it were Isaiah Bradley and not Steve Rogers. This hints at the possibility that Steve Rogers continued to work in secret after he has gone back to the 40s in Endgame and addresses the complaint that Steve wouldn't be able to sit on the sidelines of terrible events that some had. This is my head-canon now even though it's most likely that Red Guardian is BSing.

3rd choice: he insists cap is black because he fought Isaiah and that's why everyone assumes he's full of poo poo. He doesn't know about Steve Rogers because he's been in a gulag since before avengers 1 and so thinks everyone's loving with him

site fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 13, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
So did Alexei have the super soldier serum or what, and if so I wonder what him running around means in the wake of the Sam/Bucky show. He seemed pretty famous, considering he had fan-mail and an action figure and all. I wonder if he's on Zemo's radar or what.

Edit: Oh, yeah. I went and saw it, and my strongest opinion is that it was really nice to be in a dark theater eating popcorn again. The movie itself was... fine? It seemed weirdly diluted, like it wanted to pull in various different directions but kept getting yanked back to a stable if somewhat unexciting middle-ground. It felt a bit too beholden to Marvel continuity to really be an excellent spy thriller, and a bit too muted to really make the most of being part of this wild superhero universe, a little too jokey and glib to be a serious The Americans-esque investigation of gender and violence and a little too serious about gender and violence to be a jokey and glib Bond-esque farce. The bad guys were all kind of nonentities which I didn't mind much-- the core cast was good and I liked their dynamics. It was a nice pretext for an evening out, although my wife hated it more than I've seen her hate a movie in a long time.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 13, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You mean red guardian? Yes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At this stage "super soldier serum" isn't even shocking.

Hulk and Abomination are the result of an attempt to replicate it.
Bucky and a bunch of other guys were given a form of it by Hydra.
Isiah and others were given a form of it by the US government.
The Power Broker's scientist gave the Flagsmashers a form of it.

So yeah, sure. The Red Room gave Red Guardian a form of it. Who didn't have a super soldier?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

How Wonderful! posted:

...although my wife hated it more than I've seen her hate a movie in a long time.

Any particular reason? My partner had a fun night out but didn't express any happy grrl power feelings like she did for Birds of Prey. She's been way more into Loki and she was never really a Loki stan so I wonder if it's a quality thing or if we've all just moved on from grounded stories and are only satisfied with outright insanity from our Marvel productions.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Regarding Black Widow: If there’s one thing we’ve learned in the MCU it’s that everyone on the planet has been trying to make another Captain America since he fell in the ice. I’m guessing Alexei fought one of the many attempts.

I mean this is possible but I feel like there's no way the government wouldn't make a big deal out of a new Cap like they did in Falcon & the Winter Soldier (or just lie about Steve's apparent death). There's no point in having walking propaganda doing black ops, so if there was a Captain America in the 80s, everyone would know and then Ursa Major wouldn't have called him on bullshitting in the prison.

STAC Goat posted:

At this stage "super soldier serum" isn't even shocking.

Hulk and Abomination are the result of an attempt to replicate it.
Bucky and a bunch of other guys were given a form of it by Hydra.
Isiah and others were given a form of it by the US government.
The Power Broker's scientist gave the Flagsmashers a form of it.

So yeah, sure. The Red Room gave Red Guardian a form of it. Who didn't have a super soldier?

Yeah it seems like the only people who have actually suffered negative side effects from the super-soldier serum (or attempts to recreate it) were Isaiah Bradley's squad mates and the Hulk. Even if the US couldn't crack the code, between the Winter Soldiers and Red Guardian it sure seems like the USSR did so I'm wondering why the Cold War ended the same in the MCU.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it seems like the only people who have actually suffered negative side effects from the super-soldier serum (or knockoffs of it) were Isaiah Bradley's squad mates and the Hulk. Even if the US couldn't crack the code, between the Winter Soldiers and Red Guardian it sure seems like the USSR did so I'm wondering why the Cold War ended the same in the MCU.

I mean, it was a cold war.

But there's probably 100 dead russian soldiers for Alexei's success if we go by the pattern. The MCU deal is that Cap was a success and then everyone spent the next 50 years trying to replicate it with really lovely success rates. So yeah, there's a bunch of random super soldiers out there but tons more failed experiments and probably mass graves. And ultimately the plan was always to build an army of super soldiers, not one guy. One guy is useful as an assassin or propaganda tool or individual missions. But everyone wants armies so they can do whatever they want.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, it was a cold war.

But there's probably 100 dead russian soldiers for Alexei's success if we go by the pattern. The MCU deal is that Cap was a success and then everyone spent the next 50 years trying to replicate it with really lovely success rates. So yeah, there's a bunch of random super soldiers out there but tons more failed experiments and probably mass graves. And ultimately the plan was always to build an army of super soldiers, not one guy. One guy is useful as an assassin or propaganda tool or individual missions. But everyone wants armies so they can do whatever they want.

And none of those people has realized what's the key for a successful super soldier. (The other winter soldiers went too violent and dangerous, they were also technically a failure).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Yeah it seems like the only people who have actually suffered negative side effects from the super-soldier serum (or attempts to recreate it) were Isaiah Bradley's squad mates and the Hulk. Even if the US couldn't crack the code, between the Winter Soldiers and Red Guardian it sure seems like the USSR did so I'm wondering why the Cold War ended the same in the MCU.

i mean, ross straight up warned blonsky that the serum he was getting wasn't ready for prime time and surprise, it ended up loving him up even before mixing it with banner's blood. there's a reason it was shelved in the first place

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And the Serum worked like it was supposed to on Blonsky too. It's just that peak human performance still isn't a match for Hulk. It's just when Blonsky stole and overdosed on the Serum you get Abom.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I’m honestly surprised about how little was touched upon Red Guardian’s origin considering what a big deal is usually made about super soldiers in the MCU. I realize he’s hardly the focus of the film, but they just throw a guy who can lift cars in and say, “Here he is! Anyway.”

My assumption is he was an early or the first creation of the Red Room, probably from Winter Soldier’s blood, but he’s a hothead and difficult to control so they scrapped the super soldier angle entirely and shifted focus to the Widow program. I assume Dreykov didn’t outright kill him just in case he ever needed access to the serum again (maybe he used some for Antonia?), because he’s a drat huge liability against Dreykov and the Red Room to just leave out in the world, especially since he was clearly well known and getting fan mail in prison so it’s not like he was exactly hidden.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Was I the only one struck by how much Dreykov looked like Harvey Weinstein? I figure it was either a moment of media catharsis or me being insane

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

poly and open-minded posted:

Was I the only one struck by how much Dreykov looked like Harvey Weinstein? I figure it was either a moment of media catharsis or me being insane

Oh god nooooo, the character was already a loving creep this makes him worse. The moment he started to talk about pheromones I recoiled. I already had some weirdo using pheromones as a pick up line in RL. It was as disgusting as you can imagine. gently caress that poo poo.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Me and my friends all walked out after the credits like "so that was definitely Weinstein"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

It'd explain why Winstone was cast because it sure as poo poo wasn't because of his ability to do a Russian accent.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
After retiring, Captain America worked as a hot dog vendor for most of his life, casually ignoring all the lives he could save. His wife, also a hero, was fine with this and was also content ignoring disasters around the world she could help with. Eventually Steve Rogers started a channel on youtube where he demonstrated the best way to cook hot dogs and became a viral sensation. At the age of 84 he is making bank eating hot dogs on stream while playing videogames. Steve Rogers died in 2034 and was put to rest in a grave marked by a huge hot dog statue carved out of marble

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My first post in the thread after seeing it was that the villain was just comic book Weinstein in pretty much every way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Loki spoilers: With all the talk from He Who Remains about his variants, they should ditch the idea that he's Nathaniel Richards and just make them all Reeds. That way Jonathan Majors can be Reed too. Much more Jonathan Majors is what I'm saying.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

Loki spoilers: With all the talk from He Who Remains about his variants, they should ditch the idea that he's Nathaniel Richards and just make them all Reeds. That way Jonathan Majors can be Reed too. Much more Jonathan Majors is what I'm saying.

Also shirtless, or just a really thin white cotton shirt..................also shirtless

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I keep mixing up Johnathan Majors and Jonathan Winters in my head.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jamesman posted:

I keep mixing up Johnathan Majors and Jonathan Winters in my head.

Can't get much different.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Can't get much different.

To be fair, they've both played space aliens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one thing this makes me wonder is how the gently caress Paul Rudd beats this dude in Ant-Man 3? The only thing I can think is this is where Cassie comes in and we're also getting some version of Iron Lad in that movie as well? Any young actors that could play baby Majors?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe with an infinite amount of them, Scott just by chance gets a goofus

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I will also accept Michelle Pfieffer kicking him in the junk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There’s no guarantee Kang will be the primary antagonist in Quantumania or that Scott will even beat him. If they’re setting him up as the next Big Bad I can’t see him getting stomped in his second appearance.

But then again since Kang is all about time travel and finding the ideal path for easy dominance, maybe he does get beaten in Quantumania and it serves as intel for another future Kang. Just a whole series of movie appearances where Kang is defeated, only to smirk at the end and pop away with a new batch of “Ok, now don’t do this” information for later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s no guarantee Kang will be the primary antagonist in Quantumania or that Scott will even beat him. If they’re setting him up as the next Big Bad I can’t see him getting stomped in his second appearance.

But then again since Kang is all about time travel and finding the ideal path for easy dominance, maybe he does get beaten in Quantumania and it serves as intel for another future Kang. Just a whole series of movie appearances where Kang is defeated, only to smirk at the end and pop away with a new batch of “Ok, now don’t do this” information for later.

Ah, the David Xanatos Method.

(If you don't know, every other episode of Disney's Gargoyles ends with Jonathan Frakes being defeated, and going "Well, it wasn't a total loss, while I was fighting the gargoyles, my men stole the McGuffin I donated to the museum so I could claim the insurance money AND the tax deduction")

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 15, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, I never expected Antman and Family to take down Kang. They're probably just gonna end up crossing paths since the Ant crew have the inside line on the means to time travel. How that shapes out I have no idea.

Plus Quantumania is 7 films and like another 7 TV shows away. So who the knows what the gently caress is going on by then?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

i mean, it would pretty funny if instead of there being 1 major Kang that everyone encounters, it's like a dozen different kangs with different personalities

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

site posted:

i mean, it would pretty funny if instead of there being 1 major Kang that everyone encounters, it's like a dozen different kangs with different personalities

Each movie/show gets a new Kang ala Harrison Wells on The Flash.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess a question is when will season 2 of Loki come out because that will probably influence what Kang(s) we meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I guess a question is when will season 2 of Loki come out because that will probably influence what Kang(s) we meet.

I believe they're shooting in January? So probably around this time or later next year?

What's the last story Kang was in in the comics, actually? He was the villain in Ahmed's run on Exiles, if I remember.