Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just set my vacation responder for the first time in almost a year. Just need to make it through the next 24 hours without anything dumb happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

how is it supposed to work - in what ways are they supposed to give up power and refuse? serious question.

Here are the 12 principles of agile software development. I highlighted the three that address your question

- Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software.

- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer's competitive advantage.

- Deliver working software frequently, from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, with a preference to the shorter timescale.

- Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project.

- Build projects around motivated individuals. Give them the environment and support they need, and trust them to get the job done.

- The most efficient and effective method of conveying information to and within a development team is face-to-face conversation.

- Working software is the primary measure of progress.*

- Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.

- Continuous attention to technical excellence and good design enhances agility.

- Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount of work not done--is essential.

- The best architectures, requirements, and designs emerge from self-organizing teams.

- At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly.

*not status reports or productivity graphs/charts or powerpoint presentations for upper management

Basically, instead of traditional management of deliverables, which says "I want Person A to do task X and do it this way, and person B to do task Y and do it this way, and give me regular status updates" the managers instead should be trusting the team to know how to do the work themselves and then basically taking orders from the workers in terms of removing systemic blockers, enabling automation, hiring new people, helping the workers with their career plans and skills development, etc.

I'm sure you can imagine how difficult it can be to introduce these ideas to managers who have been doing it the traditional way for a really long time

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 15, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

quote:

- Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer through early and continuous delivery of valuable software.

:mad:

quote:

- Welcome changing requirements, even late in development. Agile processes harness change for the customer's competitive advantage.

quote:

- Business people and developers must work together daily throughout the project.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

LOL I hated the 'welcoming changing requirements' one as a developer too but ideally you write your code so that it's more easily changed in the future since you should be pretty sure you're going to have to make changes to it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL I hated the 'welcoming changing requirements' one as a developer too but ideally you write your code so that it's more easily changed in the future since you should be pretty sure you're going to have to make changes to it.

Okay well thats not going to happen.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

In Today's Adventures in Integration, we found out that unbeknownst to my team, out new administrator accounts on the parent company's side are missing crucial permissions that the techs on the parent company's side have as a matter of course. So if we want to do even basic troubleshooting on PCs on their domain ( which we'll all be on in a couple months), we have to reach out to one of our counterparts and hope they're not busy.

This has been brought up to management and it is not viewed as an issue. Not a "Oh, it'll be fine after you're migrated" but "Yeah, we're not giving you those rights."

At least we get free ice cream tomorrow....

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Next motherfucker that wants a major change deep into the project is getting a Walls of Jericho performed on their rear end.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Elephant Ambush posted:

- Agile processes promote sustainable development. The sponsors, developers, and users should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely.

this one is madness, crunch is bad but constantly burning down stories sprint after sprint after sprint leads to total burnout

like, yeah, you should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely, that's healthy - but agile by default makes that constant pace "100%"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

this one is madness, crunch is bad but constantly burning down stories sprint after sprint after sprint leads to total burnout

like, yeah, you should be able to maintain a constant pace indefinitely, that's healthy - but agile by default makes that constant pace "100%"

It's not really a default Agile thing IME. I've been working on an Agile team and I can say that most of the time the pace was nowhere near 100%. When it was close to that, we (the engineers) even pushed back against deadlines for launching some features/products because we were getting unrealistic deadlines.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rockman Reserve posted:

Agile doesn't make the pace anything.
They called them sprints because the idea was you have a short race with a finish line at the end. People abused that term (sprint === running as fast as you can!!!) so we're trying to move away from it.

Anyone worth their salt on an agile project is measuring velocity and using that as the basis for planning sprints.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slotducks posted:

As a tech writer the whole concept of creating documentation for our end client without design documents makes the job infinitely harder - If I have no reference as to really how the product worked before, and how it works now, I can't really describe to the customer what changed.

It's doubly extra hard when we're using Agile in an ISO13485 shop - which is nearly the opposite of agile, I mean the whole thing is Plan, Do, Check, Act - Agile seems to just be Do over and over and over

Good Agile is Plan, Plan, Plan for the first few sprints. That's when you're developing User Stories (the things the customer wants the product to do) and starting to lay down data structures. You get out of Plan sprints by defining a Minimum Viable Product (MVP), which is the least you can implement and have something that addresses your customer's requirements. Now you have something to implement and can start writing code and doing other work relevant to the final product. You start breaking up the User Stories into sprints, ordered so that the critical dependencies get done first, and building towards something functional. During each sprint you Do. At the end, you Check your work with the customer, and from that you Act to define the work to be done in the next sprint.

Let's say HR wants a new employee database. A Product Owner starts having meetings with HR to determine what it should do. They'll find out what tasks HR does with the current solution, and what they'd like to be able to do. Exporting a CSV file of new employees so IT can onboard them is a User Story. Active Directory and SSO integration to automate the process is another User Story, and one with a lower priority. Accounting for all of the falsehoods programmers believe about names is a User Story with an incredibly high priority. Being able to change an employee's name and gender is high priority. Mapping employee home addresses is a medium, taking a list of possible locations for an offsite and generating average travel times for employees from their home is low,( but a really nice to have). Payroll functions are critical. Keeping an audit log of changes... etc. etc. etc. Someone takes all of that, gathers a team, brainstorms, and comes up with an MVP candidate. HR is asked to approve that as the 1.0 for a system that will keep gaining features for as long as the project is funded.

The user stories get broken down into discrete functions and those are turned into cards on a Kanban board. That's Plan. A selection of cards that will probably take a sprint to do get moved to the In Progress column with people's names attached. People Do. At the morning standup, everyone reports which cards they plan to work on today, and what blockers they have based on previous work. The scrum master takes blocker discussions offline and moves tasks around so that people can move forward. At the end of the sprint, you Check that cards were completed - and the customer is invited to this meeting. Then you Act to assign the next sprint's worth of work.

Done right, everyone on an Agile team spends every day with clear objectives, with realistic deadlines, and no bullshit meetings. You get coffee, chat, do Standup, and break up to do actual work. At the end of a few sprints you have something that is recognizably an employee database and it goes into production. The rest of the sprints are adding features as agreed with the client. Since you knew what you were likely to add later, the fundamental data structures were future proofed in the design stage.

But I'm an optimist.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Since you knew what you were likely to add later, the fundamental data structures were future proofed in the design stage.

Ahahahahahhahaha. Oh wait you're serious, let me laugh even harder AHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAH.

I have this assumption that Agile probably works a lot better for internal development but anything thats remotely customer facing is more going to be about defusing grenades rather than customer stories.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 15, 2021

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

My last company was definitely waterfall with the thinnest possible agile facade. Been at my new job about 6 months with real agile and it’s been great. My manager gets out of the way and lets us engineers just do stuff, product management actually understands the product and knows how to answer questions, engineers aren’t afraid to ask for help. We have a daily stand up and it’s never over 10m.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
What I’m taking from all this is that agile can be great when implemented properly (which is apparently never) and that the person who came up with the terminology should be taken out back and shot

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

irpoweroutlet posted:

What I’m taking from all this is that agile can be great when implemented properly (which is apparently never) and that the person who came up with the terminology should be taken out back and shot

Agile cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

irpoweroutlet posted:

Hard to tell if what’s working for me is because of agile or because I’m working with people who just know what they’re doing.

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

Outrail posted:

from Wikipedia: "Scrum is a framework utilizing an agile mindset for developing, delivering, and sustaining products in a complex environment, with an initial emphasis on software development, although it has been used in other fields including research, sales, marketing and advanced technologies."

What the gently caress is that even supposed to mean? Is this a fuckwit word for project manager?

Why not just say 'We need a project manager who can work within and promote an Agile working environment'?

It needs more zazz!

--William Murderface

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Outrail posted:

Agile is Communism. Makes sense.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Outrail posted:

Sex cannot fail, it can only be failed.

Wining a game cannot fail, it can only be failed.

MLM cannot fail, it can only be failed.

etc.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

mllaneza posted:

Let's say HR wants a new employee database.

Tackling important edge cases will be an MVP priority? Give it up, you don’t work in software!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

In my experience, management gets introduced to Agile and learn two things from it:

1 - Daily meetings! Awesome, I can lord over people every day!
2 - I don't have to commit to anything! Awesome, I can change my mind on a whim and then blame someone else when it sinks the project!

Everything else is ignored.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So Agile only works for software development, got it.

It was quite frustrating looking for an Engineering job and every other job posting looking for an Engineer actually meant Software or Computer Engineer.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There is only digital now. Physical things are made by other people, the 100% service economy shall absorb us all.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I can’t deal with all this software toucher bullcrap. Like you’re all talking about agile and sprint and proper implementation with edge cases and onboarding and creating design documentation for the end user. It’s all bullshit I don’t understand. What do you even do in a day?

I work in the elderly care industry. I used to wipe asses and get everybody down for dinner every day. These days I sling pills to the old folks so that they’re taking their medication appropriately and on time. loving agile? What the hell is wrong with you all?

Shen Long
May 29, 2021

by Athanatos

Spatule posted:

Agile is Communism. Makes sense.

Curse those dastardly communists for extracting all the fossil fuels from the earth and burning it :hmmyes:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ziv Zulander posted:

I can’t deal with all this software toucher bullcrap. Like you’re all talking about agile and sprint and proper implementation with edge cases and onboarding and creating design documentation for the end user. It’s all bullshit I don’t understand. What do you even do in a day?

I work in the elderly care industry. I used to wipe asses and get everybody down for dinner every day. These days I sling pills to the old folks so that they’re taking their medication appropriately and on time. loving agile? What the hell is wrong with you all?

I make sure you can post on the internet, but I'm having second thoughts about my career choice.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

gschmidl posted:

I make sure you can post on the internet, but I'm having second thoughts about my career choice.

I’ve got just over 40 people I have to medicate every day, most of them twice a day. And it’s not just pills, it’s treatments too. Creams, eyedrops, inhalers, diabetic sugar checks and insulin. And I’m not some fancy educated nurse with some degree, I’m a caregiver whose job is passing pills. My credentials are a six week class to learn caregiving, then a 12 hour online class to learn pills. And you’re all here talking about scrum masters. The only lord high person I have looking over my shoulder is the state. And it sucks, but they’re not here very often. If I had some corporate person second guessing everything I do, I would quit

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

First required day back in the office. Can't wait to sit in nearly 6 hours of meetings that were once audio only and now require me to pretend I care in person.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ziv Zulander posted:

If I had some corporate person second guessing everything I do, I would quit

My dudes build turbomachinery, so slightly more federal regulations we need to observe or The Customer will beat our dicks with metaphorical legal hammers.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Tackling important edge cases will be an MVP priority? Give it up, you don’t work in software!

IDK, putting in all that effort just to reinvent the wheel certainly sounds a lot like working in software.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My dudes build turbomachinery, so slightly more federal regulations we need to observe or The Customer will beat our dicks with metaphorical legal hammers.

The last person at my work who died was in his late 90s. He had terrible arthritis. He had tons of stories. Apparently he was in a jazz band as a young adult, and realized he spent so much time traveling that he didn’t spend any time with his children. So then he focused on his auto shop career. He would tell you about how he had one of the first mechanical lifts installed, and how it was such a lifesaver for his back

He came from money. Would always talk about how he would go to the club and have endless hot water for the showers, and people there to rub his back. Apparently his dad was an enforcer for the omertà, actual black hand poo poo. Few stories from his childhood about his parents bootlegging alcohol. He always enjoyed when I showered him. He’s dead now.

You’ve got scrum, I’ve got all these old folks telling me their stories

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
weirdest meltdown I've seen for a while, ngl

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Jeza posted:

weirdest meltdown I've seen for a while, ngl

For every bullshit problem you solve at work I have to deal with one elderly person who is sobbing their eyes out because they’ve lived beyond their usefulness

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Ziv Zulander posted:

For every bullshit problem you solve at work I have to deal with one elderly person who is sobbing their eyes out because they’ve lived beyond their usefulness

So you work from home?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
We lowly computer touchers can only wish our work were as valid and essential as yours. Please, continue to regale us with your stories of the true meaning of work, that we might bask in your reflected glory.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I can't tell if the parking lot is significantly more full today because the president of the company is visiting and people need to queue up to suck his dick for having more monetary worth than societal worth, or because they pushed the free food and ice cream to today instead of doing it yesterday.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Ziv Zulander posted:

turn your monitor back on

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ziv Zulander posted:

So you work from home?

:drat:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Ziv Zulander posted:

sounds like a good gig