Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

What was the point of having Miss Minutes offer Sylvie and Loki a place on the timeline where they could have everything they wanted, if Immortus knew they wouldn't take it? Why bother bringing that up at all?

edit: oh yeah I see what you mean, but there's a lot of "why bother doing ____" except that he knows it will lead up to the point he wants to happen presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

live with fruit posted:

This is my understanding. The "sacred timeline" is the one that leads to HWR and anything that doesn't lead to an alternate Kang is fine.

My interpretation is the the sacred timeline isn't just one timeline. There are millions of timelines in the sacred timeline but they all lead to the same conclusion with multitudes of variances along the way. But certain key events must play out in a certain way so that this particular variant of He Who Remains comes into being. Branches are when events pop up that threaten the timeline from reaching the same conclusion and thus need to be pruned. When a branch happens and you prune it, you're not resetting that entire timeline to be an exact duplicate. You're resetting the diverging event and basically forcing it back onto the path. So Sylvie being born a girl, or Gator Loki being an alligator are fine. As long as the events that need to happen do in fact happen. That's why they aren't pruned out the minute they exist. If Sylvie's life had led to the the same events as our Loki then she would have continued existing no matter that she was female. When you're dealing with infinite possibilities some small variances along the way will still lead to other non affected things happening the exact same way.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

fractalairduct posted:

What was the point of having Miss Minutes offer Sylvie and Loki a place on the timeline where they could have everything they wanted, if Immortus knew they wouldn't take it? Why bother bringing that up at all?

it creates dramatic tension in the scene because it gives the lokis an obstacle that tempts them away from their resolve that might put them back on the loki-wagon. It's all a test to get them into a specific frame of mind because of the journey they've been through. What's the point in making them fight the huge smoke monster? What's the point in any of it?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I can't enjoy Back to the Future until I know why objects from the future will change in the past because Marty never existed, but Marty himself never changes.

Or why Marty not existing still means his siblings are the exact same age, genetically the same, and took the exact same picture, but the photographer took it off-center to leave blank space for a third person.

Presumably a Marty was born to his new cool parents, grew up with his new cool brother & sister, lived a great cool life (in the same house but cleaner), and then one day in 1985 he was erased and replaced with some other Marty who had no memory of any of it.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Also the script flat out says something to the effect of "the destination isn't as important as the journey"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

He Who Remains literally says that they have to take to the journey to make the change. Resisting that temptation for all they would theoretically want is part of their growth.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Hobo Clown posted:

Sylvie said "I was pruned before you existed" to Loki, but how would that work?

I took that to mean that he became "him" when he became a variant. So he's existed for a few weeks, a month? While she has existed for years upon years as a variant.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Also the script flat out says something to the effect of "the destination isn't as important as the journey"

That's just paraphrasing some monomyth stuff to be meta in very superficial way.

Which is a bit ironic given the story they've decided to go with for the next phase is just this writ large.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

Sylvie is a weird exception because we know that Kang knows that he need Loki and Sylvie together at the end of time. So he's clearly got his own reasons for pruning her as and when he does.

But even without that exception, I'd put that in overthinky "why doesn't Thanos just snap more food" territory.

Sure, I may be overthinking it, but I feel like plots about time travel and alternate realities invite speculation. With something like Back to the Future, the tone is comedic enough that viewers know to just go along for the ride and have fun adventures in the past or future. On the other hand, Loki focuses so much time talking about alternate realities that it invites the viewer to wonder and speculate.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You shouldn't overthink time travel plots unless a character says "there is no free will, everything you've been doing has been according to my plan", at which point you should be able to look back and see how everything that happened fit into that plan. If you can't do that then it's just lazy writing moving the story onto a conclusion.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Where did Doc Brown get enriched plutonium to power the time machine train in Southern California in 1854?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t think it’s been mentioned, but I’m pretty sure the Guardians’ ship, the Milano, appears in that opening sequence where the camera is zooming in and out of galaxies and universes. It looks like it’s flying away from Earth.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
The fact that Renslayer thinks free will is not deserved by anyone except for Kang, yet was also a public school teacher in 2018, was incredibly on the nose, yet also incredibly frustrating that she would be the perfect vessel to execute a centuries-long plan of removing free will and chaos.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Where did Doc Brown get enriched plutonium to power the time machine train in Southern California in 1854?

He presumably already had it with him when he arrived in 1854. The hurdle wasn't powering the time machine, it was finding a vehicle capable of going the 88 mph required to activate it.

And has been noted in the MCU, "Back to the Future was a bunch of bullshit."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Everyone posted:

He presumably already had it with him when he arrived in 1854. The hurdle wasn't powering the time machine, it was finding a vehicle capable of going the 88 mph required to activate it.

Then the MCU immediately broke it's own time travel rules making it an unreliable narrator at best

Bill &Ted remains the only good time travel mechanic

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Also while HWR has complete knowledge of the flow of the sacred timeline, it is possible that variants running amok on that sacred timeline change things

So like, HWR was not planning for/aware of Loki and Sylvie showing up to stab him until Lamentis happened
Or something

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Alchenar posted:

You shouldn't overthink time travel plots unless a character says "there is no free will, everything you've been doing has been according to my plan", at which point you should be able to look back and see how everything that happened fit into that plan. If you can't do that then it's just lazy writing moving the story onto a conclusion.

Kang says he knows what's going to happen, and that he paved the way, he doesn't say it's all according to his plan.

To me that doesn't speak to every event being purposefully directed by him, more that he eliminated all the possibilities that lead to outcomes he didn't want.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Visiting different universes is slightly different than visiting the same universe at different times. I think that nuance gets them out of some bad holes

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The Dave posted:

I don't want to publicly admit this but I don't have D+ and I "watch" these MCU shows by second-hand through youtube reactors. I watch about 2-3 and I get a pretty good idea of what has happened and the story.

That being said I had a question I was hoping to get verification on for my own understanding:

The "sacred" timeline is sacred in that it keeps that Kang in power right? Not pruning the branches does introduce chaos, but the chaos is coming in the form of the other Kangs reintroducing the multiverse war and potentially a worse Kang becoming the He Who Remains (though technically a better Kang could also win, it's unknown).

It goes back to the comment about Thanos and the snap and how it was per-determined. Pre-determined events exist because Kang is allowing them to, to protect himself.

What the gently caress, just use a streaming site or something jesus

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

stev posted:

She might be genetically a completely different person who was simply where Hiddleston Loki was when Odin adopted him.

I mean is gator Loki genetically identical to the other Loki? I don’t think they’re all identical genetically.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

X-O posted:

He Who Remains literally says that they have to take to the journey to make the change. Resisting that temptation for all they would theoretically want is part of their growth.

This was definitely the intention, but it didn't really work for me because they didn't resist the temptations that had been driving them. Loki wanted the ultimate position of power (whatever that may be) and Sylvie wanted to chop off the head of the TVA (whoever that may be) and Ms Minutes offered them something close-to-but-not-quite that. He Who Remains was still what both of them had been chasing, however unknowingly, and they both fell directly into their respective motivations of "we should probably sit on the throne for the good of everyone" / "we should kill the big bad no matter what."

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I mean is gator Loki genetically identical to the other Loki? I don’t think they’re all identical genetically.

Given what we know I expect Lokii just need to be adopted from power, not necessarily all Jotuns. Maybe one was Sobek's kid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Afaict “Loki” just a god or goddess of mischief that interests HWR for idiosyncratic reasons

Sylvie was born as a non royal human on Asgard for example

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bring back Anthony Hopkins to tell the story of how and why Odin adopted an alligator son

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Pruning the condescension and snark, we agree on a lot more than you might think.

quote:

Do you get what the concept of pruning is? It's eliminating the variation from how time is in He Who Remains' reality so there is only the one timeline, rather than a multiverse of events.

Not quite. It’s eliminating the variances that would eventually lead to a Kang being created.
If there were only one timeline, then Dr Strange wouldn’t have been able to do what he did in Infinity War.

quote:

The way that time is supposed to go doesn't involve the plot of Endgame.

That doesn’t mesh with what was shown in this series. Endgame still happened, Loki still vanished with the Tesseract. He got heisted by the TVA and, like you said, those people got punted to the end of time to be Alioth food (or at least I think they did, I’d have to go back and watch it again to see if it actually showed them being pruned). What didn’t happen was them retroactively adjusting the timeline so that Loki *didn’t* get away with the Tesseract.

quote:

Episode 5 told you that the Void is where they drop the timelines that get pruned. Not just people, but land and buildings and everything.

People, land, buildings, tanks, etc. do not equal an entire timeline. It’s just a conglomeration of all the pruned things. As shown, Alioth eats people pretty well, but leaves inorganic matter behind (the ship from the Philadelphia experiment, Old Loki’s crown, everything else lying around in the Void, etc.), probably because a building can’t create a new Kang.

Look at the Sacred Timeline for this like a rope made of tens of millions of fibers, and at the end of the rope is He Who Remains. Throughout time, one of those fibers might come loose. The TVA is there to remove whatever caused it to slip and tuck the thread back into the rope’s fibers. That’s how Strange was still able to sort through 14 million whatever timelines and find the one that led to victory.

I’d continue the analogy but I gotta get back to training. Uhhhh multiverse isn’t just different timelines it’s different dimensions (universes), which is what was colliding at the start of ep 6. Back later.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hobo Clown posted:

Bring back Anthony Hopkins to tell the story of how and why Odin adopted an alligator son

I expect a full episode of What If to be dedicated to this.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Everyone posted:

Mr. Fusion is able to power the time circuits using garbage, so presumably that either runs without needing external power, or he hacked together some kind of battery from 19th century parts.

Edit: I'm dumb, this question was about the train

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 15, 2021

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

euphronius posted:

Afaict “Loki” just a god or goddess of mischief that interests HWR for idiosyncratic reasons

Sylvie was born as a non royal human on Asgard for example

Well, Loki in Norse myth could change genders. I just figured it's possible Loki spent some time as a girl when they were little, and switched back when they got older. For them it wouldn't have been a big deal, and the Nexus even wasn't related to them being female. We know mcu Thor wanted to be a Valkyrie, I can see Loki loving with him by saying "You can't be a Valkyrie, but I can, neener neener neener" and changing into a girl.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

stev posted:

I expect a full episode of What If to be dedicated to this.

A spinoff series called "What Did" for non-hypotheticals

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

badjohny posted:

All speculation but The TVA could be the city we see for a second in ant man 2 when he goes to the quantum realm. They say time works differently in the TVA, it also does in the quantum realm. They are able to travel though time using it in Endgame. Ant man didn't get snapped away...maybe it wasn't random chance. Maybe the gems couldn't effect Scott in the quantum realm. Ant man 3 could be about going to the quantum realm to deal with the TVA.

I am interested to see how this plays out because I had watched a few of the MCU flicks in relatively short order and it felt like there was some odd kinda sorta connection with the quantum realm and how Loki got back to our world after Thor ends or/and the space gem and Loki's/Frigga's magic that was sort of there but dropped in pre-production.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Retrowave Joe posted:

Pruning the condescension and snark, we agree on a lot more than you might think.

Not quite. It’s eliminating the variances that would eventually lead to a Kang being created.
If there were only one timeline, then Dr Strange wouldn’t have been able to do what he did in Infinity War.

That doesn’t mesh with what was shown in this series. Endgame still happened, Loki still vanished with the Tesseract. He got heisted by the TVA and, like you said, those people got punted to the end of time to be Alioth food (or at least I think they did, I’d have to go back and watch it again to see if it actually showed them being pruned). What didn’t happen was them retroactively adjusting the timeline so that Loki *didn’t* get away with the Tesseract.

People, land, buildings, tanks, etc. do not equal an entire timeline. It’s just a conglomeration of all the pruned things. As shown, Alioth eats people pretty well, but leaves inorganic matter behind (the ship from the Philadelphia experiment, Old Loki’s crown, everything else lying around in the Void, etc.), probably because a building can’t create a new Kang.

Look at the Sacred Timeline for this like a rope made of tens of millions of fibers, and at the end of the rope is He Who Remains. Throughout time, one of those fibers might come loose. The TVA is there to remove whatever caused it to slip and tuck the thread back into the rope’s fibers. That’s how Strange was still able to sort through 14 million whatever timelines and find the one that led to victory.

I’d continue the analogy but I gotta get back to training. Uhhhh multiverse isn’t just different timelines it’s different dimensions (universes), which is what was colliding at the start of ep 6. Back later.
The suggestion is always that something deviating from the timeline kind of ripples out through space in its cause and effect, at which point the line crosses the threshold and a new universe is created. So I think it is supposed to be just the one universe/timeline. Otherwise its needlessly complicated for a big mainstream comic book thing. Along those lines, I don't know if it's worth using that one scene in Infinity War to try and overengineer how this all works (also dr strange is just looking into every possibility right? there's a million reasons they could pluck out of thin air for why that doesn't mean there are millions of other universes that exist alongside the sacred timeline) but also they show you the line on the screen and everything. If it was multiple but similar timelines, I'm sure they would have made that much clearer.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Should have had Dr Strange tied up somewhere in the corner.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Retrowave Joe posted:

This post is pretty spot on with what I was saying earlier as well. I completely agree.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stev posted:

I expect a full episode of What The?! to be dedicated to this.

Fixed that for you.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A.o.D. posted:

Fixed that for you.

Only if we get a 10 minute Fred Hembeck animated portion.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I choose to believe in Gator Loki’s universe they call his home LouisianAsgard.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Also:

https://twitter.com/museummammy/status/1415457124453335046

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Until Karen got to it

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Hobo Clown posted:

Scene - Odin sits in a great throne room surrounded by darkness lit by a floodlight from above, it is not known to the viewer if this is natural light, camera does a slow zoom on Odin as a title screen appears, "The tale of alligator Loki", when the title fades it is just Odin's face in frame.

Odin - "I thought it'd be funny"

End Scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

idk why everyone thinks the original Renslayer is a teacher, she has an office and a pretty big one. She's a principal or a counselor