Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
holy gently caress I want Hangman's shirt from last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I didnt mind the best man run as much as everyone else seemed to and in retrospect it makes his current character so much stronger than if he had just come in like this straight away. "miro is a twitch streamer guy and kid sabians friend" was never long term at least I would hope so lol. but using that as an angle to show miros descent into the terrifying motherfucker on a holy path of destruction that he is now worked pretty well.

like cmon going from being kips gaming buddy to stalking the backstage area looking for kip to "talk" and ending uhhh exactly how you'd expect gives his character more depth than just showing up and being like "ahh!! I am powered by God, dont gently caress w me"

anyway miro was one of my pet "id love to see what this dude could do outside of wwe" guys for years and holy gently caress he way exceeded what I hoped for so far

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I also love how from the Darby match onward, the Game Over evolved from a bog standard camel clutch to falling backwards and breaking people in half like that dude from the Rocketeer

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Is it just me or has Penelope stepped up her game a lot over the past couple of weeks? She normally gets lost between moves all the time, but her match last night and one she had with Julia! a few weeks ago were both pretty solid.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Scarf posted:

holy gently caress I want Hangman's shirt from last night

https://rockandrolldenim.com/relaxe...ZYaAs5iEALw_wcB

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

DeathChicken posted:

I also love how from the Darby match onward, the Game Over evolved from a bog standard camel clutch to falling backwards and breaking people in half like that dude from the Rocketeer

Someone should explain this concept to Okada.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

CombineThresher posted:

Is it just me or has Penelope stepped up her game a lot over the past couple of weeks? She normally gets lost between moves all the time, but her match last night and one she had with Julia! a few weeks ago were both pretty solid.

Penelope is probably up there with Sonny as far as original signees who’ve stealth improved the most from launch.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If Miro debuted a year ago with the redeemer gimmick it probably wouldn’t have been as good

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

xbilkis posted:

I’m pretty surprised at how many people think Archer is gonna beat Moxley next week. In addition to how protected Moxley is in AEW, I dunno if NJPW would be eager to move their belt off the big name who’s held it for an eternity for the benefit of a guy who doesn’t work in their company at a show they aren’t promoting

Archer was NJPW for many years, he was pretty over with the crowd there especially during his last singles run, and he's probably more likely to be willing to fly back to Japan and do a series of shows than the guy with a newborn kid. Not saying it's 100% going to happen, but that title change to Archer would surprise me less than basically anyone else on the roster taking it.

shiksa posted:

I didnt mind the best man run as much as everyone else seemed to and in retrospect it makes his current character so much stronger than if he had just come in like this straight away. "miro is a twitch streamer guy and kid sabians friend" was never long term at least I would hope so lol. but using that as an angle to show miros descent into the terrifying motherfucker on a holy path of destruction that he is now worked pretty well.

like cmon going from being kips gaming buddy to stalking the backstage area looking for kip to "talk" and ending uhhh exactly how you'd expect gives his character more depth than just showing up and being like "ahh!! I am powered by God, dont gently caress w me"

anyway miro was one of my pet "id love to see what this dude could do outside of wwe" guys for years and holy gently caress he way exceeded what I hoped for so far

It also avoided the "oh they brought the WWE guy in and immediately slapped a rocket push on him" criticism and it gave Miro time to get comfortable, develop his gimmick to what he wanted it to be, and shake off the WWE match style before they put him in a title holding position. Like yeah, it was a bit of a holding pattern for him at first but that can be important. Miro had been in WWE for ten years and really never worked anywhere else. It's super smart to put a guy like that in a low pressure easy gimmick with some partners at first and let him ramp it up as he feels more comfortable.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CombineThresher posted:

so has bunny imo

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Penelope is probably up there with Sonny as far as original signees who’ve stealth improved the most from launch.

yeah. i want to think dustin's doing a really good job

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If Miro debuted a year ago with the redeemer gimmick it probably wouldn’t have been as good

well of course not it needed a year of build to go nuclear on kip

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Yeah, agree on Bunny, I’m glad she’s feeling well enough to wrestle again, her character choices really work well for the types of matches she’s been having.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Akileese posted:

For anyone who went last night what was the AEW Dark situation? Did they film it before? My tickets for next week say it starts at 6pm but IDK if that's doors or actual show time.

Yeah, they filmed Dark beforehand, then Elevation afterwards.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JUNGLE BOY posted:

You can't start at the end point, Brodie Lee was the same in that he debuted as The Exalted One but the why was teased out iver the following weeks and months. And ut took tine as naysayers were being like "oh so its all just a big WWE joke" being a cult leader using VKM mannerisms and quirks but well thanks to BTE and time became a more complex character.

Maybe AEW are just experts in booking heel hosses with religious tones.

Edit: on the other end we have the Butcher and the Blade who i love but it doesn't feel like they've evolved so much as found new outfits to wear and ditching their terrible finisher. They debuted at their end point and been there since.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i really liked the brodie eating vignettes after he debuted

it is such a loving crying shame hes not here right now

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm just glad the bunny is doing the AIAIIAIAIAIAIAIAI cackle as much anymore

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm always amused by Tony on commentary being like "Wow, Bunny's just not a nice person at all"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

graph posted:

i really liked the brodie eating vignettes after he debuted

it is such a loving crying shame hes not here right now

That Brodie's entire run will be the thing of legend and it entirely occured during the pandemic era with effectively no fans is amazing and so sad because the crowd would've been so big for him always through sheer force of will.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

best ep of dynamite all year, absolutely unreal
Every segment

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Judging by the reaction in the building last night, crowds are gonna go loving ballistic when Hangman finally wins the belt.

And when Dark Order dethrone The Bucks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Had to DVR this one, just caught up.

Great show! There really is a feeling like they're firing on all cylinders. I had a hard time deciding which match to vote for in the poll because there was so much good stuff. And not only were the matches good, all the setup for future matches was good too! Britt's stealth burn on Ivelisse was a nice little detail.

Agreed that Ford's doing pretty good now. Really fun match there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

Judging by the reaction in the building last night, crowds are gonna go loving ballistic when Hangman finally wins the belt..

I’m gonna fucken explode

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The past couple posts made me really miss Brodie. I doubt there is an afterlife but if there is I hope he's happy.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Ganso Bomb posted:

Judging by the reaction in the building last night, crowds are gonna go loving ballistic when Hangman finally wins the belt.

do we think they can hang on until all out?

i dont think theyd have a belt change of that caliber on network tv for grand slam, but

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

graph posted:

do we think they can hang on until all out?

i dont think theyd have a belt change of that caliber on network tv for grand slam, but

all out is a month and a half away they can certainly do enough stuff on TV without giving away the match they've been building since the first all out ppv

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

remember the momentum in february 2020? it feels like we're picking up exactly where we left off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FTW/IWGP belt matches
Cody in a cool programme
Hangman/Kenny programme
Andrade going after Death Triangle
wrestling is back baby

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

CombineThresher posted:

I agree and I think part of it is her showing more personality in ring and having a few more signature spots; she did a new(?) rope leg choke spot thing and has that bridging submission now; she used thwm kinda consistently over the past few darks.

I like following Kip and her on social media; I managed to get a photo with them at the end of C2E2 in Chicago in 2020, just before lockdown. It was the last day and everyone was waiting for Ubers and taxis; after some encouragement from my friends, I approached and asked for a pic. They obliged and I appreciated that it was a nice picture despite them undoubtedly moving on to another flight or long drive.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
All Out is before Grand Slam anyway.

Assuming they do the Survivor Series match at Fight for the Fallen, they'll only have five weeks of TV to kill before getting to All Out. That's a totally reasonable amount of time for a PPV build for the biggest match your company could make. (If you absolutely need to get in one more Kenny title defense, you could have Silver/Five/Colt/whoever pin Kenny at Fight for the Fallen and get a shot on TV in August, but they've managed to pace things well enough that I wouldn't bat an eye at All Out being Kenny's next singles match)

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

xbilkis posted:

All Out is before Grand Slam anyway.

well yeah, but the thing about grand slam is that i think it's gonna be a loving spectacle. you dont book arthur ashe stadium for a weeknight wrestling show for nothing

xbilkis posted:

(If you absolutely need to get in one more Kenny title defense, you could have Silver/Five/Colt/whoever pin Kenny at Fight for the Fallen and get a shot on TV in August,)

i think kennys gonna balk at some point before then and accept a match with christian

e: if only to spite hangman

graph fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 15, 2021

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Hangman please ride a horse to the ring and have it mule kick Don

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think they are setting up Christian as the intermediary title defense -- commentary put Christian over during his match on Dynamite, saying that he has to be considered in the title picture now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Jungle Boy is going to get a visual pinfall on Omega and get screwed.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Part of me thinks that the whole thing with The Dark Order and the Elite will lead to The Dark Order getting the belts, but Hangman not getting his, at least at first. Like, he got his friends to their high point, but he falls short, but it doesn't destroy him or his resolve.

Then he murders Kenny the next time they fight.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Richter Scabies posted:

I agree and I think part of it is her showing more personality in ring and having a few more signature spots; she did a new(?) rope leg choke spot thing and has that bridging submission now; she used them kinda consistently over the past few darks.

It's personality for sure. Like Bunny, she seems more confident in the ring these days and doesn't have as many "I don't know what to do now" moments between moves than she did even a month or two ago. I know Serena Deeb sees a lot in her, so maybe they've been working together in addition to her training with Dustin.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
oh another moment from last night, scorpio popping out of the casket with the rose in his mouth. i cackled like an idiot

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I hope crowds stay this hot forever and don't die down a little when the novelty of being able to be in the building again wears off

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Mr Snips posted:

I hope crowds stay this hot forever and don't die down a little when the novelty of being able to be in the building again wears off

fun fact, crowds were hot for AEW in 2020.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hangman is kicking out of the OWA, win or lose. Right?

What if Hangman wins by giving Kenny an OWA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pinwiz11 posted:

What if Hangman wins by giving Kenny an OWA?

i...i never considered this