Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

McGavin posted:

No poo poo they're campus Conservatives. Can you imagine becoming a Conservative late in life? Like, you make it to your 40s with a functioning brain and then suddenly realize that you want to make life worse for everyone around you? That's some Captain Planet supervillain poo poo right there.

The material conditions of life when you move to the suburbs and suddenly are forced to care very deeply about property values break a lot of brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Muscle Tracer posted:

"If you're young and conservative, you have no heart: if you're old and liberal, you have no brain!" was conventional wisdom in my household growing up.

yeah and those people grew up eating lead paint chips and it loving shows

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, but that was what, 20-30 years ago? I don't think anyone growing up outside of Conservatism (that isn't a Q-cultist) can look at what the Conservatives have become during that time span and be like "Yes please, I'd like to get in on that."

I mean, look at Jason Kenney's bio:
Like a human pig, he loves to pollute, using his wealth to acquire complex pig-themed polluting gadgets. He has a distorted sense of vanity (fat pride), and is an inveterate glutton, even eating a small fish that was originally destined as lunch to his henchman, after Kenny himself ate a big fish. He does not appear to be very brave - once Justin Trudeau arrives, he often resorts to begging or pleading, usually desperate to be saved from his own plan, which has backfired. However, he throws his weight around and can be very cruel as he has attempted to harm the Liberals on more than one occasion.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/elishadacey/status/1415716784515305475?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Even if they believe it, I cannot fathom how anyone thinks "The residential schools were run with the best of intentions" is a thing that you should say right now.

It's up there with "Hitler had a lot of good ideas" in terms of things that should not be coming out of your mouth as a politician.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Even if they believe it, I cannot fathom how anyone thinks "The residential schools were run with the best of intentions" is a thing that you should say right now.

It's up there with "Hitler had a lot of good ideas" in terms of things that should not be coming out of your mouth as a politician.

speaking of that Hitler had a lot of good ideas thing: https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/07/politics/donald-trump-adolf-hitler-book-claims/index.html

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2022

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It's such obvious bullshit because we know that the quality of education the kids received was dogshit, too, with many graduating "high school" with elementary-level knowledge. The goal was to destroy their culture with the expectation they'd all be janitors or maids. Cursory knowledge of the schools disproves the "best intentions" stuff.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

It's even more cowardly imo. Sadly, far from the worst take on the child prison camps I have seen in the last week, after reading that American Conservative article and Robyn Urback's "Burning churches is the same as burning mosques after 9/11" crap. It's pretty cathartic to see someone get put in their place for it (yes, I realize the bar is very low)

Lassitude posted:

It's such obvious bullshit because we know that the quality of education the kids received was dogshit, too, with many graduating "high school" with elementary-level knowledge. The goal was to destroy their culture with the expectation they'd all be janitors or maids.

Yes, the term "residential school" is as much of a euphemism as "Vocational Education and Training Centers". At least with some of them, like Kuper Island, they were called "Industrial Schools" which paints a slightly clearer picture.

Starks fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 15, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

That illustrates the point pretty well.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Bell owns this country and its politicians more than any other industry or interest group. Best case is probably a fine that amounts a fraction of a fraction of a percent of their quarterly profit.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 10, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

pokeyman posted:

Winning back from who? The only thing I can think of that was imposed upon Manitoba is closing the USA border. Everything else has been under the authority of the legislature that he leads.

"We're saving ourselves from me!"

The interesting thing is that this could be a winning narrative in a sense.

"You have two choices: continued restrictions, or vaccinations and freedom!" It's like dealing with small children, don't force them to do anything; rather, give them a choice between two or more alternatives which are all acceptable to you. Win that freedom back by getting the vaccine, lads!

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Femtosecond posted:

quote:

the Conservatives tend to get stuck with the lifers, people who have never done anything but partisan politics

This is a perfect description of Pierre Poilievre.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/smithjoanna/status/1415746158069157893

:getin:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Feel like all y'all mixed dosers can appreciate this.
https://twitter.com/averycutedog/status/1415463389640355848?s=20

I think I'm just about 4 weeks out from my first dose; kind of hoping the pharmacy contacts me for the follow up soon so I don't have to spend the effort on my part figuring stuff out.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I too was hoping Shoppers Drug Mart would follow up with me like they said they would, they didn't and I ended up calling the pharmacy directly to book, but it took like 30 seconds to do, so whatever.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

"If you're young and conservative, you have no heart: if you're old and liberal, you have no brain!" was conventional wisdom in my household growing up.

Yeah but this saying was coined by people whose fortunes and quality of life generally improved as they got older. It makes zero sense to anybody born after 1975 or so.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Willatron posted:

Yeah but this saying was coined by people whose fortunes and quality of life generally improved as they got older. It makes zero sense to anybody born after 1975 or so.

It might have also helped that Conservatism back in 1975 wasn't transparently a rejection of reality and an embracing of Nazi adjacent ideals. Note that I said "transparently".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tornado hit Barrie 30 seconds down the road from where I work holy poo poo. We were rushed into the giant fridges in the building for protection like some stupid movie plot.

Jesus christ.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Well you're in a fridge so you're pretty much indestructible now. But for real stay safe, poo poo's wild.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Willatron posted:

just to be clear, i don't agree with my parents on this one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it's safer to say that people become more pragmatic as they get older, and it's probably justifiable. In an older time, that could mean becoming more conservative, well before "conservatism" became the word for unchecked lunacy. Hopefully it will also mean the young folks who travelled down the right-wing rabbit hole will find their way out as they get older and more aware of the world.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I think it's safer to say that people become more pragmatic as they get older, and it's probably justifiable. In an older time, that could mean becoming more conservative, well before "conservatism" became the word for unchecked lunacy. Hopefully it will also mean the young folks who travelled down the right-wing rabbit hole will find their way out as they get older and more aware of the world.

I agree with this and I can see how having stuff like a stable career and kids can lead some to....not reject certain ideals but not support them either. I've seen people who in their 20s were shouting for more housing and safe injection sites turn in NIMBYs because they bought a place or worry that the social housing place is too close to their kids school.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Madkal posted:

I agree with this and I can see how having stuff like a stable career and kids can lead some to....not reject certain ideals but not support them either. I've seen people who in their 20s were shouting for more housing and safe injection sites turn in NIMBYs because they bought a place or worry that the social housing place is too close to their kids school.

You can be small-c conservative because you're comfortable and don't want thing to change without being capital-C Conservative. This is easier in Canada than in certain other countries because here we have the Liberal Party which is very much a small-c conservative party.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
MB Cons been saying the quiet part out loud and digging deeper and deeper all day:

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1415780914710392840

And Brian from today's presser announcing the cabinet shuffle:

quote:

The people who came to Canada "didn't come here to destroy anything. They came here to build. They came to build better," he said last week.

On Thursday, Pallister said those comments paid tribute to Canadians and pre-Canada builders.

"I spoke about people who came here with hope to build families and communities. I spoke with sincerity. I spoke genuinely," he said.

"I did not reference colonialism, I did not reference Europeans in any way, shape or form. I was talking about our First Peoples, I was talking about our Métis. I was talking about the people who came after them."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

My life is easy now, so I guess this whole exploitation this isn't that bad after all!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has Chartrand denounced the new cabinet minister yet?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cocaine Bear posted:

My life is easy now, so I guess this whole exploitation this isn't that bad after all!

As I become the exploiter rather than the exploited I gain a whole new appreciation for exploitation

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

MB Cons been saying the quiet part out loud and digging deeper and deeper all day:

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1415780914710392840

dig up stupid

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

~~~~~

The people who came to Canada "didn't come here to destroy anything. They came here to build. They came to build better," he said last week.

On Thursday, Pallister said those comments paid tribute to Canadians and pre-Canada builders.

"I spoke about people who came here with hope to build families and communities. I spoke with sincerity. I spoke genuinely," he said.

"I did not reference colonialism, I did not reference Europeans in any way, shape or form. I was talking about our First Peoples, I was talking about our Métis. I was talking about the people who came after them."

I mean okay, I'm not going to blame the settler John Chitty's and Jean-Baptiste Richelieu's too much, but England and France came here to build via fighting wars against the people that were already here with bonus damage from novel diseases soooo...
I would also love to know how you can talk about Métis peoples while somehow not referencing Europeans at all. Not to mention "the people who came after them" could only be Europeans.
But also, it's literally impossible to talk about the settlers who built Canada while not referencing colonialism. It's the same loving thing, you don't get to pretend that they just kinda showed up and nothing bad happened and boom, there was Canada!

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Has Chartrand denounced the new cabinet minister yet?

I haven't seen anything yet. The MMF is normally pretty quick with statements sent to all citizens so we'll see if there's anything today.

Red river echoes is a Metis group with a more radical perspective and critical of Chartrand. Give them a follow if you do that sort of thing

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's what's so infuriating about this. He's gaslighting everyone. There was no peace. They came to conquer. Like, the Metis were born of the French forcefully taking Indgenous peoples and breeding. Our history is bloody as hell. gently caress, this rear end in a top hat just keeps digging. When is it gonna stop? Like, you can't keep doing this in this day and age when things can be disputed in a matter of seconds.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It's ok guys, the settlers came to build. It only counts as the bad kind of genocide if they're twirling their moustaches and cackling about how many natives they're going to murder.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Unfortunately, some of them definitely did that too

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"Our" Métis, hmm?

What was it Arivia said about people who merely get the shibboleths wrong out of ignorance being indistinguishable from the people who screw them up on purpose to inflame?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Unfortunately, some of them definitely did that too

Sure, but that doesn't excuse the super nice settlers who did an oopsie and accidentally genocided a population building their nice little farm.

"Accidentally" might be the wrong word, but my point is at the level of genocide, intentions don't really matter.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

So, looping back to my previous comments on state actors admonishing each other over human rights violations, I'm to going to say that there's nothing surprising about what Pallister et. al. is saying, and in fact it's more or less in line with what Trudeau is saying, conservatives are just worse at the doublespeak. Trudeau hasn't actually rejected our colonial ancestors or any of the narratives of survival and perseverance Canada attaches to them, he just looks mopey and says he understands.

The narrative that the liberals are pushing for why residential schools happened the way they did is past naïveté. It's the same thing as with any other civil rights/progressive movement that is swallowed up into the liberal hegemon, at least symbolically.

"The reason that our white ancestors were terrible was because they just didn't know any better, they hadn't learned that natives were humans yet, just like they had learned that women were humans, or that gay people were human. There was no deliberate malice, it was just being in the backward past! Now, however, Canada is a bastion of human rights! And we're righting these wrongs by apologizing and/or having committees. But the fundamental liberal core of Canada's identity remains the same, we were always multicultural, we were always a land of immigrants yearning to be free. Ignore the slavery of our early days, or the Chinese exclusion act, or every other terrible act of oppression the Canadian state enacted. Those are in the past!"

This narrative conveniently avoids asking at what point our society transitioned from an evil oppressive one, to a bastion of liberal rights and democracy, obfuscating everything behind the general lazy idea of the march of progress. Because the truth is that the government deciding to slam a pipeline through native lands is a continuation of the same legacy that everybody is pushing so hard to divorce modern Canada from. Residential schools were enacted as a way to get rid of people who had claim to the lands that they wanted to exploit economically. That's why, in the late 19th to the early 20th century, you see the numbered treaties get enacted superfast across the bulk of the Canadian landmass. Because all of a sudden all that land that nobody gave a poo poo about was suddenly worth something, in mineral and oil rights. At the same time you see the residential school system set up as a way of purging these groups whose continued existence was a direct threat to the exploitation plans of the Canadian elite. The Canadian public may have evolved somewhat in its position with regards to the first Nations, Inuit and Metis. But the Canadian state is still directly threatened by the sovereignty that they hold. So they are continuously fighting against it still, and there's never been a break in that fight.

So how do you mesh this continued state viciousness with Canada's self-image abroad, and in particular with the broad need to defend a western style democracies against perceived competitive threats? You invent the above, the narrative that let you split the actions of the Canadian state in the past from the present one. Like how the Americans separate slavery from their current carceral state, or all the European countries literally pretend that their colonial Epoque didn't happen at all, or that their atrocities in Africa and Asia are in ancient history and not happening through the 1970s. If anything, I think Pallister and co. are being more genuinly honest in their stupid racism and white supremacism, not being able to recognize the inherent contradictions of Canadian history currently being exposed and tapdance around it with vague gestures the liberals do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

enki42 posted:

Sure, but that doesn't excuse the super nice settlers who did an oopsie and accidentally genocided a population building their nice little farm.

"Accidentally" might be the wrong word, but my point is at the level of genocide, intentions don't really matter.

I agree, I'm just pointing out that even "they had good intentions" is a lie in a lot of cases. They had intentions.

Trying to obfuscate a genocide because some people maybe meant well is disgusting, but, also, most people did not mean well. At the very best they were indifferent. Plenty didn't think Aboriginals were people, and so had no qualms about what happened to them. Then you have people like the great Sir John A. Macdonald, father of confederation, who definitely had some thoughts on the value of Aboriginal peoples in Canada.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pallister has always been honest. He's always been honest about being a religious fundy shithead with open contempt for secularism and minorities. I've never considered him a liar, he's just an openly hostile monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The first residential schools open in 1880. We aren't talking about courer-des-bois and New France here. Most of the genocide we are specifically focusing on here happened post WWII. Like the nutritional experiments, the deliberate starvation that was enacted in Kenora, among other places, was in the 50s. Post genocide convention. It's convenient to lump all this into this hazy past of atrocities, but really, this is a legacy of modern Canada, democratic canada. It's way past the point at which Canada developed a national identity. It's absurd the way we distance these events in our collective memories from the present. We still have yearly honouring of Vimy Ridge, but this poo poo is part of some distance past that surely doesn't apply anymore!

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 16, 2021