Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
So it turns out my old Outer Worlds file is at a very similar place to the one I've lost so I'm just carrying on from there.

I'm really enjoying it on the Series X - apparently the major issues I had with the game were frame rate and loading times, who knew?

It seems to be getting better as I go on, and from the comment above I gather it isn't very long - which is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
The DLCs were pretty enjoyable too if you want more after you finish the main story

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

hanyolo posted:

The DLCs were pretty enjoyable too if you want more after you finish the main story

Nice try greentext, but that's not the Game Pass way. Credits roll then I'm off on my next adventure.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Saying "Xbox Pause" and getting up to go to the bathroom during a movie without having to reconnect your controller was a legit killer feature.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

pthighs posted:

Saying "Xbox Pause" and getting up to go to the bathroom during a movie without having to reconnect your controller was a legit killer feature.

I also liked "Record that" when playing Titanfall and something just silly happened.

That's right I liked the Kinect voice features.

I also liked in FIFA when I would call out bullshit the game would say "oh the manager is really heated" and for weeks I was like "see? He agrees! Bullshit!" Before realizing it was talking about me.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

pthighs posted:

I believe you can still do this if you're setup with Echo (or possibly Siri).

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/digital-assistant-voice-commands/voice-commands-with-digital-assistants

I'm not sure if pause still works, as I mainly use the audio functions like mute and stuff.

Edit: Actually, pause does work!

From the above link:

Alexa, pause (SH)
Alexa, tell Xbox to pause
Alexa, [device name] pause (SH)
Alexa, pause on [device name] (SH)

(looks like recording clips works too!)

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Xbox works fairly decently through Google Assistant, too. Telling Google to power up the Xbox (and thus the tv) and start a game from another room while on the way is stupidly lazy. And handy.
Screenshots and clips can be voice activated too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The upload speed of screenshots seems totally random. Sometimes it takes seconds, other times minutes. So weird.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Wee Bairns posted:

Xbox works fairly decently through Google Assistant, too. Telling Google to power up the Xbox (and thus the tv) and start a game from another room while on the way is stupidly lazy. And handy.
Screenshots and clips can be voice activated too.

I used to use that when I was on my way home from work so I wouldn’t have to wait to load fortnite or whatever. You can tell it to launch specific games too. (With Alexa anyway)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Used my free Disney+ trial to binge watch Loki last night. Game Pass stays winning.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Now is indeed a great time to use the Disney+ perk as Loki just had its season finale today.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Kinect worked like poo poo for me on Xbox One.

Xbox on.

XBOX on.

XBOX ON!

TURN ON THE loving XBOX YOU loving COCKSUCKER MOTHERFUCKER AAAAHHHH.

The Kinect motion sensor also didn't pick me up trying to lean or throw a grenade on Battlefield 4.

I'm just a bloody amoeba.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The best thing about the Kinect voice controls was the new world of Call of Duty trolling it opened up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The upload speed of screenshots seems totally random. Sometimes it takes seconds, other times minutes. So weird.

From what I can tell it all depends on if the game you're playing is online/has an online component, and also if it's actively running as opposed to on standby in the background while you're at the home screen. I think it de-prioritizes upload speed if you have any software actively running.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It seems to always be slow if your storage for captures is near full also

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Kinect worked like poo poo for me on Xbox One.

Xbox on.

XBOX on.

XBOX ON!

TURN ON THE loving XBOX YOU loving COCKSUCKER MOTHERFUCKER AAAAHHHH.

The Kinect motion sensor also didn't pick me up trying to lean or throw a grenade on Battlefield 4.

I'm just a bloody amoeba.

Tell me you sold your soul for some ALF pogs without telling me you sold your soul for some ALF pogs.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

MJBuddy posted:

Tell me you sold your soul for some ALF pogs without telling me you sold your soul for some ALF pogs.

Can you please explain this?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The Midniter posted:

From what I can tell it all depends on if the game you're playing is online/has an online component, and also if it's actively running as opposed to on standby in the background while you're at the home screen. I think it de-prioritizes upload speed if you have any software actively running.

System reserves a percentage of your total available connection speed for any running game/app. i think its 70% or something? i have a 250mbps connection and i cant use all of it unless i quit whatever game is running (even in standby/on the home screen). either way, its annoying.

it doesnt really discern between if it needs online connectivity or not. even things that dont/arent using realtime online services like a Dirt Rally 2.0s leaderboard submissions it will throttle available bandwidth for downloads.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can you please explain this?

It's a Simpsons reference. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Sells_His_Soul

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is a super basic question, but what do people typically do for multiplayer shooters when people running sideways can outrun your turning rate? I keep having issues where I can't track people while scoped in because they outrun my turn, but if I bump up my sensitivity I have trouble aiming in general. Just unscope and rescope in front of where they are running? Or do I just need to suck it up and increase sensitivity?

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

I try to use shorter optics, which usually have a faster movement rate while ADS. If I'm sniping I just miss some shots, unzoom, reaim, and miss some more shots...but I'm not great at online shooters.

I think most people make sure acceleration is off (when applicable) and turn up sensitivity.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is a super basic question, but what do people typically do for multiplayer shooters when people running sideways can outrun your turning rate? I keep having issues where I can't track people while scoped in because they outrun my turn, but if I bump up my sensitivity I have trouble aiming in general. Just unscope and rescope in front of where they are running? Or do I just need to suck it up and increase sensitivity?

Kontrol Freeks are good for a +2 or +3 bump on your sensitivity, and the learning curve isnt too steep to adjust. i did this previously, but i have an elite v2 now with the tall stick on the right stick so its the same thing.

the alternative is buying an elite (v1 or V2) and you can play around with the repsonse curves of the joysticks (for example, bumping up sensitivity in game and changing the sticks to be a bit more low-repsonse around the middle, and higher response further out)

the former is significantly cheaper than the latter.

be mindful that the kontrol freeks will give you extra leverage which will result in the ring around the controller and the joystick stem getting worn away over time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Kinect was pretty cool for silly lazy stuff.

Also for laughing at your friend as you constantly say “Xbox turn off” as they’re trying to play a game.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

RCarr posted:

The Kinect was pretty cool for silly lazy stuff.

Also for laughing at your friend as you constantly say “Xbox turn off” as they’re trying to play a game.

Or shouting "Grenade" during your partners' Mass Effect 3 play through (ok this was the 360 Kinect).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

what's the best way to get a series x without paying scalper prices?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Follow Wario64 on Twitter and enable notifications if you are in the US. At least one place had Series X consoles available today.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zerot posted:

Follow Wario64 on Twitter and enable notifications if you are in the US. At least one place had Series X consoles available today.

Yeah and a few places yesterday too.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Microsoft was apparently doing a preferred customer registration thing like Sony did but I've also never heard of anyone getting a console that way so I'm not sure if it actually does anything or not.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If you have discord open throughout the day there are notification servers, I used NerdSpeak to get mine https://discord.gg/XP7xXcrV

You still have to be quick but it gives you a better chance. The console bundle (controller/game/gift card) sales usually last a little longer but then you're most likely buying a game you didn't really want, although you can resell it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyone else thinking of getting a Steam Deck mainly to play Game Pass games?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Yes.

I'm gonna reserve one and then stew on it for a bit.

The Aya Neo is fantastic for game pass games I'll tell you that for free.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've seen multiple people suggest that it would be a possible "Xbox portable" but I don't really understand it. You're still playing PC games. No Xbox OS and all the features of it, no back compat and you're limited to the PC Game Pass selection which is quite different than Game Pass on console.

Sure you could use xCloud to fill in the gaps but you can also do that on your phone and also get better than 3 hours of battery life doing it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

I've seen multiple people suggest that it would be a possible "Xbox portable" but I don't really understand it. You're still playing PC games. No Xbox OS and all the features of it, no back compat and you're limited to the PC Game Pass selection which is quite different than Game Pass on console.

Sure you could use xCloud to fill in the gaps but you can also do that on your phone and also get better than 3 hours of battery life doing it.

FWIW if you are just streaming xCloud you'll probably get 6+ hours of battery life. They claim up to 8 hours of battery life on the thing.

Thats how it is with my Aya Neo currently.

xCloud is great for hopping between saves on your Xbox and then on the go.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Most of the good Xbox games are on PC Game Pass anyway so it should still work fine for that purpose.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zerot posted:

sweet, the series x was available for almost 20 minutes earlier from a link from this dude. didn't order yet 'cause i just got a new job today, but i'm optimistic i'll be able to grab one in a couple paychecks :getin:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mega64 posted:

It weighs nearly 2 pounds just use your phone

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I tried but I don't like the lag, it'd be nice to have the actual games on there instead of streaming.

Even the stuff where the lag doesn't matter, I don't really like using a controller with a phone clip to actually play stuff. I prefer actual handhelds dedicated to gaming.

Also I can lift two pounds fine so I think I can handle it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I have a laptop with a gpu in it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

Also I can lift two pounds fine so I think I can handle it.
Don't worry the battery will probably die before your hands get tired anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I mostly play indie stuff on Game Pass anyway so it'll probably be fine.

Hell, tried out Nowhere Prophet a bit today on Game Pass, and I'm interested enough that I'll buy it on Switch next time it's on sale. Game Pass owns.