Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
doo-tagonist

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Mr Plinkett voice* deuteragonist

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

*Mr Plinkett voice* deuteragonist

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
i just finished k2's story bc i got bored with various completion poo poo and lmao at the entire ending

edit: fighting ryuji again for like... no reason, kaoru being like "its ok you beat my brother to death kiryu, i still love you", date in the helicopter being like "stop making out! stop! ah gently caress" and zooming away

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Scythe posted:

i just finished k2's story bc i got bored with various completion poo poo and lmao at the entire ending

edit: fighting ryuji again for like... no reason, kaoru being like "its ok you beat my brother to death kiryu, i still love you", date in the helicopter being like "stop making out! stop! ah gently caress" and zooming away

It's amazing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's fine I had to look up the spelling twice (forgot halfway through typing)

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

saejimas part in 5 is powerfully retarded. hope it picks up after the prison cus wow.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dongicus posted:

saejimas part in 5 is powerfully retarded. hope it picks up after the prison cus wow.
the post-prison part is incredible

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol i hadn't realized how much of the taxi stuff would be just Mario kart. I weirdly prefer that to the ones where you have to follow the traffic rules, that stresses me right out. I think I've finished it, unless there are more side stories involving it. (I've already found a couple). the dude who was like "I've assessed your odds of winning coolly, I know everything about you and you have no chance to defeat me" and Kiryu's response to it is almost word for word the same as a pocket racer challenger which had me lollin

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

that whole minigame kicks so much rear end, i wish there was more of it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

that whole minigame kicks so much rear end, i wish there was more of it

yeah, it was a great addition. my one complaint is that the rubberbanding always seems to kick in right toward the end of the race, and then you just counter it with the boost thing, so it ends up feeling like everything that came before it doesn't matter very much. i love that like 20 of them are just dialog substories.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, it was a great addition. my one complaint is that the rubberbanding always seems to kick in right toward the end of the race, and then you just counter it with the boost thing, so it ends up feeling like everything that came before it doesn't matter very much. i love that like 20 of them are just dialog substories.

Yeah the rubber banding is bonkers but you can just time it to slow down at a certain point of the lap and they just go to normal speed and you can nitro on the last corner

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The only one that made me Upset was when you have to tail a guy and it's super sensitive about when you get too close or too far and you are basically at the mercy of the traffic lights and pedestrian AI

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The only one that made me Upset was when you have to tail a guy and it's super sensitive about when you get too close or too far and you are basically at the mercy of the traffic lights and pedestrian AI

yeah that one sucks lol. got it first try this time but my first time playing it took like an hour nd by the end i was like 2 seconds from chewing on the controller

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That one took me like five tries lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

and now it's time for my favorite part of any video game...

"follow the guy, but don't follow him too closely?!"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scythe posted:

It loving owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

OK I think 5 has to go on record as having the most out of nowhere final boss in the series yet lmao

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

OK I think 5 has to go on record as having the most out of nowhere final boss in the series yet lmao

5 has A man behind the man. But that man also has a man behind him. And there's somehow yet another man behind him! And I think there might be another man behind there too somewhere but the final boss is the man in front of the final man. And that boss is a jobber from way earlier in the game that had no other man in front of him as far as I know but was also in front of the first man behind the man. So he's simultaneously in front of the first man behind the man and last man. Oh, and this is an edit: The first man behind the man at first appears to be in front of the first man so the first man is also the man behind the first man behind the man, at least we are led to believe that.

It's beautiful in a way but honestly a pretty big part of why 5s story lost me. The other game have kinda silly poo poo like this too, like that one infamous thing in 4 but I could just roll with the punches there. In 5 I found that hard. Still a fun time, though.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 15, 2021

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Twenty minutes of puppet masters smirking at each other and saying “You really know nothing do you?”

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

It's a web of men and they are all behind each other forming a beautiful Oroboros.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

wait so what was the point in the lovingly shot naked Katsuya push-ups scene

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

rear end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also I just realised that Park's limo conversation with Haruka confirms that Majima is a wife beater :whitewater:

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
as a 0-to-K2 player so far i'm surprised he has a wife. i love him but majima's not a "good" guy, he routinely maims his men for minor offenses, after all. if yakuza ever gets even more popular than it is i bet we'll get "majima did nothing wrong!" assholes like the guys that miss the point about Breaking Bad etc.

i think i'm definitely reading too much into a series that is mostly about punching guys in cool ways but it seems to me like the Point/Moral of the story is none of the yakuza can truly be "good," the life itself makes you do bad things. that poo poo is a cliche for crime stories after all. i feel like someone comes out and says this already in 0 and i can't think of any actual yakuza character that doesn't do reprehensible poo poo at least once

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scythe posted:

as a 0-to-K2 player so far i'm surprised he has a wife. i love him but majima's not a "good" guy, he routinely maims his men for minor offenses, after all. if yakuza ever gets even more popular than it is i bet we'll get "majima did nothing wrong!" assholes like the guys that miss the point about Breaking Bad etc.

i think i'm definitely reading too much into a series that is mostly about punching guys in cool ways but it seems to me like the Point/Moral of the story is none of the yakuza can truly be "good," the life itself makes you do bad things. that poo poo is a cliche for crime stories after all. i feel like someone comes out and says this already in 0 and i can't think of any actual yakuza character that doesn't do reprehensible poo poo at least once

i dunno, kiryu is constantly looking at the camera and explaining in simple terms how he thinks a person can live a good life and not fall victim to the corruption and the easy way out that permeates every industry in kamurocho: remember that money isn't everything, learn to trust people and make it so that people can trust you, and don't put your dreams away because of how somebody else thinks you should be. real estate moguls, police, cabaret club owners and children playing MesuKing all make the same mistakes that the yakuza do in the games and kiryu tends to give them the same kinds of dad lectures that he gives to the people he rips off his shirt to fight.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

i dunno, kiryu is constantly looking at the camera and explaining in simple terms how he thinks a person can live a good life and not fall victim to the corruption and the easy way out that permeates every industry in kamurocho: remember that money isn't everything, learn to trust people and make it so that people can trust you, and don't put your dreams away because of how somebody else thinks you should be. real estate moguls, police, cabaret club owners and children playing MesuKing all make the same mistakes that the yakuza do in the games and kiryu tends to give them the same kinds of dad lectures that he gives to the people he rips off his shirt to fight.

Hamazaki at the end of yakuza 3: YOU THINK IT'S THAT EASY? JUST BELIEVING IN THINGS?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

i dunno, kiryu is constantly looking at the camera and explaining in simple terms how he thinks a person can live a good life and not fall victim to the corruption and the easy way out that permeates every industry in kamurocho...

i mean yeah, of all the yakuza (in 0-K2) kiryu is clearly the one that is trying the hardest to be good/do only moral poo poo, and I don't think he does anything truly Bad/Immoral in the main storyline (yet anyway... he gets closest when Nishiki holds him back from killing Shibusawa, i think), but "kiryu has never killed anyone" is a joke for a reason, and importantly he's also the guy who's constantly trying to Get Out Of The Game. i think he's always trying to quit/retire because by the middle of K1 he realizes that when he's In The Life he somehow always ends up microwaving guys to death in the Poppo and then using shittons of pocket circuit as a coping mechanism, and he's healthier and happier running an orphanage or whatever.

of course I haven't played 3-6 yet, so maybe I'm missing some context that shows up later

edit: 0/minor K2 spoilers majima realizes the game is poisonous too, it's why he hides his identity from makimura

Scythe fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 15, 2021

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Kiryu straight up uses a dude as a human bullet shield in Kiwami

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Kiryu shoots a pilot until the helicopter he's flying explodes in a fiery wreck in 0.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

They all lived and their stories will be passed down for generations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

They all lived and their stories will be passed down for generations.

This.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
if you think kiryu does some eff'd up poo poo tyr playing special operations: the line

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mysterious loyall X posted:

if you think kiryu does some eff'd up poo poo tyr playing special operations: the line

[Learned Komaki Essence of White Phosphorus]

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
yakuza would be much more profound if it zoomed in on the ragdoll of every mook kiryu tiger drops into a dumpster and asked the player if they felt like a big hero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

[Learned Komaki Essence of White Phosphorus]

lol