Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

That makes sense, Jon is a pretty old guy, hope the mechanics end up elsewhere if they're not tired of the industry

I'm in need of a new local bike shop now, if anyone knows of a good place in the western Boston suburbs that handles bromptons, let me know. I know of cycle loft up in Burlington and there's the various Landry's locations too

I bought one of my bikes from Belmont Wheelworks in Watertown and their website shows some folders so they might be able to help you. I think they have a couple other locations as well.

I do my own work so I can't speak to how good they are, but you could check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for the tip! Looks like that’s where all the dudes with Terns near me are getting theirs ha

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Ideas for carrying a gym back on a rear rack? My back and front basket are sometimes occupied and even with a super tight bungie my gym bag flops off the side

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Getting wide wire basket and running it lengthwise? Maybe cutting some of one end off to help sit the bag into it?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I just upgraded to a proper pannier last week. My previous system was a pair of ratchet-straps, 1m long each, holding down a gym bag I picked up at a second-hand store about 6 months ago. The straps were apparently made for bikes, with a picture of a bicycle on the wrapper. They weren't proper lever-action ratchet straps, they're simpler, just a spring-loaded grippy metal tab. I had to really push them tight or my bag would flop around, too, but I could secure the bag well enough that I didn't worry about it falling off - with my computer inside and bouncing along a dirt track for part of my commute. I'd tie the long loose ends together if the bag was less than very full.

I took these pictures for the new rear tire, but you can see the straps fairly well. I was using my little backpack that day for some reason, but I tie it down the same way.
Click for bigger
New tyre by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
New tyre by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Ideas for carrying a gym back on a rear rack? My back and front basket are sometimes occupied and even with a super tight bungie my gym bag flops off the side

Don't use bungie cords, use straps. Voile and Arno are good choices.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Oh yeah straps makes sense. I like voiles. I'm a little concerned about crushing everything in there though.

kimbo305 posted:

Getting wide wire basket and running it lengthwise? Maybe cutting some of one end off to help sit the bag into it?

It would work but my bike is so heavy from one basket, porteur rack, rear rack, dynamo, being a Surly, etc.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Hang baskets off both sides of your rack and lay the bag across them, with bungee cords.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Groda posted:

Hang baskets off both sides of your rack and lay the bag across them, with bungee cords.

Time to get a new commuter!

Since early in the pandemic I have been without. I used to have a Kona hardtail I used to cycling in the city but it was stolen last spring :rip: Looking at getting a hybrid from some of the folks who, while well intentioned on getting fit, bought the city out of bikes, only to never ride it. Now that Covid Is Over (TM Jason Kenney and the Alberta UCP), its time to start getting to work in person again.

Considering between a Trek FX1, FX 7.5, 7.4, Kona Dew, Specialized Cross Trail, or a (very cheap) Nakamura (a brand of which I know nothing about). This will allow me to stop considering riding my full suspension in town, which is geared for mountain riding and would be a royal pita. Focusing on the Spec and the Kona as both have disc brakes rather than cantilevers, and the Spec is already set up to receive panniers, but perhaps I'm just being racist against cantilever brakes since I don't own a road bike? Could use some advice for sure

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cantis are a pain, doubly so in the wet/cold.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Those are v-brakes. They aren't as bad as cantilevers to adjust and have no shortage of stopping power.

*Modulation may be another story.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

v-brakes, cantis, apologies if I am confounding the two. But the takeaway is to get disc breaks if I can right?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

v-brakes, cantis, apologies if I am confounding the two. But the takeaway is to get disc breaks if I can right?
All other things being equal, yes.

I would suggest not getting a suspension fork on a hybrid bike. At best they don't do anything, at worst they introduce a lot of slop.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 14, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It depends on where you are riding it, if it’s your gravel/off road/potholed lane bike then a fork with a lockout is fine. On roads and bike lanes then it’s just additional weight. I got four hybrids and only one of them has suspension and that’s on an ebike.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

learnincurve posted:

It depends on where you are riding it, if it’s your gravel/off road/potholed lane bike then a fork with a lockout is fine. On roads and bike lanes then it’s just additional weight. I got four hybrids and only one of them has suspension and that’s on an ebike.

I’d far rather have slightly bigger (road specific) tyres than suspension for anything short of riding down steps.

They’re just a faff.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Love to get honked and yelled at on my bike for absolutely nothing

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

wooger posted:

I’d far rather have slightly bigger (road specific) tyres than suspension for anything short of riding down steps.

They’re just a faff.

I have the wrong tyres on one of my hybrids, I clicked on continental contact 32 instead of 38 to ride on gravel and I have had many regrets since - they seem to be even more jarring than the marathon plus 25s on gravel but maybe that’s psychological because I know I messed up.

(<- I’m a care worker, and caught covid doing my job, wear a mask).

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

CopperHound posted:

All other things being equal, yes.

I would suggest not getting a suspension fork on a hybrid bike. At best they don't do anything, at worst they introduce a lot of slop.

Never thought about that since my hard tail had terrible front suspension, but this bike will be staying on pavement so rigid fork plus disc brakes leads me to the Kona Dew Deluxe. Thanks for your help thread!

e. drat, although listed as a large frame, the description says 53 cm and looking it up, that's a small :negative:

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 15, 2021

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Whenever this happens to me I tell myself they just wanted to complement my shapely, lycra-clad legs.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Had my first-ever nasty shout from a car this week, at Commute Down number 146. Some bogans in a ute yelled "Get off the fuckin' road!" as they (illegally) passed me on a bridge over the creek in this town. I had to stop just after the bridge anyway, so I replied with a raised finger (bright yellow gloves) and a hearty "gently caress you!". My voice is loud, I'm confident they heard me.

Then I deliberately put it out of my mind because I didn't want to spend all evening being mad about something trivial.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Am I the only one who screws in valve cores with gorilla strength? I don't think I've ever had a problem with screw-on chucks.

Also Slime sealant is bad. I know prefilled Slime tubes are convenient, but you're much better off rolling your own with...wait for it...Orange Seal.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

bicievino posted:

Whenever this happens to me I tell myself they just wanted to complement my shapely, lycra-clad legs.

Honk if your horny

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My commuter hasn’t seen much love this year and it’s set up tubeless. I’ve kept air in the tires but that’s it.

What should I do for the residual sealant in there? It’s orange seal on gravel king slicks fwiw.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
What pedals are nice on a commuter? I have flats on my MTB and SPD-SL pedals on my road bike. XT seems like a good middle ground, and I've been meaning to put them on my MTB, but there are quite a few traffic lights or spots where I need to wait on my commute so flats are also an option. Would also need new shoes. Road bike pedals would mean I could just use the same shoes, but I need to walk from the bike shed to my office and would wreck the cleats after a while (and walking up stairs sucks).

Currently using flats but they're just the plain slippery plastic canyon ones that come with the bike. I think them being so slippy is contributing to the knee/hip tension and pain I've been getting in the month since I started the commute. The distance I've cycled each week hasn't actually increased, but now it's just commuting kms only every day, rather than a couple of harder/funner rides a week

So maybe my legs just need to get used to the constant load from commuting (after a year of mostly sitting at home), I'm missing cycling for fun.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

nwin posted:

My commuter hasn’t seen much love this year and it’s set up tubeless. I’ve kept air in the tires but that’s it.

What should I do for the residual sealant in there? It’s orange seal on gravel king slicks fwiw.

I had to clean out the old sealant (also orange seal) after a puncture failed to seal on my road bike. I'd been lazy and a snakeskin of latex had formed throughout the tyre over a couple of years. I also had to retape the rim since the tyre bead had stuck to the tape and it pulled away as I took it off.

Basically clean it out now so you save yourself problems down the line. The standard sealant is only rated for 6mos/a year anyway iirc.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

For me it comes down to time. Under half an hour or so I'll try to just wear street clothes and shoes with flat pedals.
Over that duration I'm gonna get sweaty no matter what, so that's when I bother with clipless pedals. I like SPDs, but any mtb-style is fine for walkability.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Heliosicle posted:

What pedals are nice on a commuter?
I if you want to go flat/clip pedals I can vouch for both Shimano m324 and m8000 as being well made and grippy on flat side. M8000 is much lighter and has wider platform, but both are good.

They might need a little bit a breaking in, but they are weighted so you kick forward into clips or back onto flats.

Unfortunately they also appear to cost nearly twice as much as I recall since last I looked :smith:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 15, 2021

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

What pedals are nice on a commuter? I have flats on my MTB and SPD-SL pedals on my road bike. XT seems like a good middle ground, and I've been meaning to put them on my MTB, but there are quite a few traffic lights or spots where I need to wait on my commute so flats are also an option. Would also need new shoes. Road bike pedals would mean I could just use the same shoes, but I need to walk from the bike shed to my office and would wreck the cleats after a while (and walking up stairs sucks).

Currently using flats but they're just the plain slippery plastic canyon ones that come with the bike. I think them being so slippy is contributing to the knee/hip tension and pain I've been getting in the month since I started the commute. The distance I've cycled each week hasn't actually increased, but now it's just commuting kms only every day, rather than a couple of harder/funner rides a week

So maybe my legs just need to get used to the constant load from commuting (after a year of mostly sitting at home), I'm missing cycling for fun.

I have some more legit MTB flats on my commuter with the metal pins / large platforms etc. Mine are Answers but I think any similar pedal will be just as good. Better than the standard cheapo flat pedal at least. I'm happy using them up to at least an hour of riding, probably more. Very worth it to not have to store shoes at the office, clomp around in cleats, and so on.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Race Face Chesters were a goon pick when I asked about flats and I like mine. The biggest reason I rode clipless while commuting was slipping of the pedals in the rain. We haven't had enough rain to test the Chesters since I got them but it's a blessing not to carry a second pair of shoes for work or nice floors or sports.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Wound up getting a used Specialized Cross Trail Pro Disc. The fork isn't hugely problematic for me, and it was in excellent mechanical condition. Rolled forever compared with my old commuter. Came with a pannier rack and SPD pedals (with a flat reverse side) already installed too so a great value. Gear set is all Shimano, and I was delighted to see the brakes were also Shimano and not the Avids of earlier models. At some point I will have to replace the brake pads but it is ready to ride now, barely even needs a seat adjustment. Very happy with this bike.

Also picked up an Abus Ultimate 420 with cable. This bike will be a little more difficult to steal than the last using just a Kryptocable.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I definitely prefer clipless and discs for commuting in the rain. If you got some space where you work to store stuff like an office or a locker, there's nothing stopping you from keeping a pair of shoes there for work. That's what I did almost a year and a half ago the last time I set foot in an office. I stored clothes there too and would take them back regularly for cleaning because there's no way I'm making it through a humid 85 degree and sunny early morning commute in the summer here without getting pretty sweaty.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mauser posted:

I definitely prefer clipless and discs for commuting in the rain. If you got some space where you work to store stuff like an office or a locker, there's nothing stopping you from keeping a pair of shoes there for work. That's what I did almost a year and a half ago the last time I set foot in an office. I stored clothes there too and would take them back regularly for cleaning because there's no way I'm making it through a humid 85 degree and sunny early morning commute in the summer here without getting pretty sweaty.

yeah I already have two pairs of shoes at work, and my gym membership on site gives me access to the shower so its a really great way to not only get there but also wake up in the first place.

After a year and a bit at home I have gotten way too out of shape

e:

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 16, 2021

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Looks nice. This actually reminded me that I was thinking of getting an adjustable stem, because I think my bike fit is off and the angle you have this at would probably be about right (and I've never seen a fixed stem with this angle.)

My only issue is the last time I bought a used bike with one, it went a little loose and when I took it apart everything was rounded out. Does anyone know if this is an inherent problem with adjustables?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have had a few of them and they vary wildly in quality, if you are in the U.K. then the Halfords one is better than any of the random picks off of Amazon I’ve had.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Thanks for the tips goons, grippy flats like the Raceface Chesters seem like a good compromise, I already have those on my MTB. I've spent enough on bike+panniers and extra cycling clothes recently so mainly want to avoid getting new shoes.

Mauser posted:

I hadn't thought of just leaving my shoes at the office, would save quite a lot of space. I'm a sweat machine unfortunately, so even with 20 degree weather (68 in US money) I have to bring a change of clothes or at least a towel with me for <30 mins cycling.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

learnincurve posted:

I have had a few of them and they vary wildly in quality, if you are in the U.K. then the Halfords one is better than any of the random picks off of Amazon I’ve had.

Thanks. Yep I'm in the UK so I'll probs get that one.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Al2001 posted:

Looks nice. This actually reminded me that I was thinking of getting an adjustable stem, because I think my bike fit is off and the angle you have this at would probably be about right (and I've never seen a fixed stem with this angle.)

I was actually pretty suspicious when I saw all those spacers but the bike turned out to be very comfortable. My hardtail had just bit too much pressure on my wrists during my commute and this configuration puts my weight more back into the saddle. The previous owner was a (more) senior and comfort was his priority. He now has an ebike.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Ortliebs rate as a good pannier bag?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Bilirubin posted:

Yes, they are the best pannier bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bilirubin posted:

Many people would tell you they're the gold standard.