Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Texmo posted:

Don't play with these people, do better things with your time.
While I'm kind of sad that the league I ran died, I'm incredibly happy that I left the second I began to hate running it.
So I'm glad to say that I am doing better things with my time now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
"No gaming is better than bad gaming" as they say

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wish they'd say "Not gaming is preferable to gaming poorly" instead of suggesting that bad gaming is the best gaming.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
I'm pretty glad to see that 2kill 2team is heavily warcry-influenced; much more fitting for a skirmish ruleset.

Not sold on the symbols for movement though; I get the reasoning, but it feels needlessly convoluted where they could have used two numbers (move/increment) instead of a number and a symbol(which is effectively just a number)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm currently trying to teach my five year old to play Lord of the Rings. I figured that out of all the games I have, its rules are the most straightforward. Figures move individually, the only time the move stat changes is for shooting, you alternate sides each phase, combat is usually just a roll-off, and I can use metric so he won't get confused at school. He's a good enough reader to work out the stat line and he has been able to figure out the Wounds chart well enough. The hardest part is measuring just because the whippy sticks are tough to read and I don't trust him not to smash something with the tape measure.

To make it easier, I've made some player aides in Excel using photos of the models I own so they're visually obvious. They help cut a lot of the fat and I can introduce units and rules one at a time.

We played with just goblins versus warriors of Minas Tirith yesterday and I'm now going to ease him into heroes. I have some flat glass marbles on order (can't believe I've never owned any of these) to help track M/W/F, but we'll try and make do with extra dice for now.

Edit: And of course I only find errors on the cards after I laminate them. At least I can fix it with a magic marker and edit the file to correct on a theoretical reprint.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 15, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Texmo posted:

Don't play with these people, do better things with your time.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm currently trying to teach my five year old to play Lord of the Rings. I figured that out of all the games I have, its rules are the most straightforward. Figures move individually, the only time the move stat changes is for shooting, you alternate sides each phase, combat is usually just a roll-off, and I can use metric so he won't get confused at school. He's a good enough reader to work out the stat line and he has been able to figure out the Wounds chart well enough. The hardest part is measuring just because the whippy sticks are tough to read and I don't trust him not to smash something with the tape measure.

To make it easier, I've made some player aides in Excel using photos of the models I own so they're visually obvious. They help cut a lot of the fat and I can introduce units and rules one at a time.

We played with just goblins versus warriors of Minas Tirith yesterday and I'm now going to ease him into heroes. I have some flat glass marbles on order (can't believe I've never owned any of these) to help track M/W/F, but we'll try and make do with extra dice for now.

Edit: And of course I only find errors on the cards after I laminate them. At least I can fix it with a magic marker and edit the file to correct on a theoretical reprint.

For measuring, some of those multi-angle measuring tools might work well for him instead of whippy sticks

(Also this is awesome)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you could always go over the numbers on the whippy sticks with some black paint/permanent marker to make them stand out

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/15/lasguns-can-kill-from-across-the-board-in-new-kill-teams-deadly-firefights/

New damage rules for Kill Team, interesting amount of extra granularity, better variety than Warcry certainly.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

HidaO-Win posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/15/lasguns-can-kill-from-across-the-board-in-new-kill-teams-deadly-firefights/

New damage rules for Kill Team, interesting amount of extra granularity, better variety than Warcry certainly.

I am happy to see actual weapon variety like the Flamer hitting everyone within O range or whatever.
I'm actually getting hesitantly excited about the game and likely will have to pre-order

Edit: I apparently still have the OG kill team box set and some terrain I've never opened. So that's a thing

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 15, 2021

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Squibsy posted:

For measuring, some of those multi-angle measuring tools might work well for him instead of whippy sticks

(Also this is awesome)

Moola posted:

you could always go over the numbers on the whippy sticks with some black paint/permanent marker to make them stand out

These are both great ideas.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

reddit is going crazy over these symbolic distance changes.

"It's dumbing down the game!"

"It's because other games are eating GWs lunch!"

The only complaint I kind of understand is that the number of sides doesn't reflect the number of inches. Like sure, a triangle representing 3 inches makes more sense than a square, but does it really matter?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 15, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Facebook people are bragging that they are too stupid to understand this system. Maybe when they collide with Reddit they'll settle whether it's too complex or too dumbed-down for babies.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tell them to buy a loving tape measure.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

moths posted:

Facebook people are bragging that they are too stupid to understand this system. Maybe when they collide with Reddit they'll settle whether it's too complex or too dumbed-down for babies.

Maybe they'll all kill each other

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Nebalebadingdong posted:

:hmmyes:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Nebalebadingdong posted:

The true agenda behind the 'Kill Team' project. Hiding in plain sight

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Sticker saying TEAM peels off, revealing the word NERDS

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The only thing I don't like about using shapes to represent distance in the new Kill Team, is that it isn't very intuitive if you don't already know the rules. Is a triangle good or bad? Shorter than the circle? I'd prefer something like "very short, short, medium, long", but it's a very minor complaint, and I'll get over it in no time.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
If it was circle as 1 inch, a t or x as 2 inches, triangle as 3 inches and hexagon as 6 inches at least there would be a built in logic

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Electric Hobo posted:

The only thing I don't like about using shapes to represent distance in the new Kill Team, is that it isn't very intuitive if you don't already know the rules. Is a triangle good or bad? Shorter than the circle? I'd prefer something like "very short, short, medium, long", but it's a very minor complaint, and I'll get over it in no time.

The shapes are on the measuring tools so you can tell at a glance.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

I know, I'm thinking about someone looking at the game from the sideline, or someone checking out a team before getting the game. "This guy only moves a short distance" makes more sense than "this guy moves a triangle distance".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
When your models get too overly detailed, equipped and gaudy, and need 4" clearance in all dimensions to avoid damaging them on scenery and other models, you can just redefine the distance represented by each shape so they're never in danger.

You might need a bigger table though.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

So do the symbols "1" "2" and '"3". Yes, we'll get used to it, but it seems like an unnecessary abstraction at this point (at least until GW decides to explain why they went this route.)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Verisimilidude posted:

The only complaint I kind of understand is that the number of sides doesn't reflect the number of inches. Like sure, a triangle representing 3 inches makes more sense than a square, but does it really matter?

Just kind of baffling they missed it when tying the iconography sides to the number value is so obvious, and is a great way to help people internalize rules.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 15, 2021

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

So do the symbols "1" "2" and '"3". Yes, we'll get used to it, but it seems like an unnecessary abstraction at this point (at least until GW decides to explain why they went this route.)

This is an excellent point - X Wing had custom rulers with Ranges 1 - 2 - 3 marked out. Could easily do the same here. I personally find the symbols rather foggy compared to numbers. It's not gamebreaking or causing me to melt down, I'm rather interested in trying the new rules out. But it does look odd when reading things.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

This is it for me. It just seems like a kind of ridiculous solution looking for a problem. I could understand it if they were trying to cut down on printing metric and imperial versions of a ruleset or something but its just odd.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

As someone who has never mastered PS2's counterintuitive O , X, triangle and square and died during every quicktime event, I'm still ok with this.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Verisimilidude posted:

"It's because other games are eating GWs lunch!"

A list of actual things facebook people said I witnessed over the last 3 months:
- this facebook group is too positive (Underworlds)
- this game doesn't have enough content (necromunda)
- unless GW starts selling stl files and shutters all their stores by christmas they wont see 2021 (gets shown the corporate financial reports) "that proves nothing"
- black space marines will kill gw because its racist against vikings and 99% of gw fans base purchasing decisions off the BL novels (this one was this morning but idk what they mean)
- this game is dead because gw isnt running a 10 million dollar prize pot tourney (blood bowl)
- battletech killed this game (warhammer quest)
- why cant they just buy nintendo and make them make video games
- nobody likes painting or assembling models

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

whats really irritating to me is that they use multiples of symbols like in the movement stat for that guardsman

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

- battletech killed this game (warhammer quest)

this would be an interesting alternate reality

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Genghis Cohen posted:

This is an excellent point - X Wing had custom rulers with Ranges 1 - 2 - 3 marked out. Could easily do the same here. I personally find the symbols rather foggy compared to numbers. It's not gamebreaking or causing me to melt down, I'm rather interested in trying the new rules out. But it does look odd when reading things.

The loving FFG range rulers and their arbitary values is far worse because you need that stupid proprietary stick and you can't even use a tape measure if you wanted to.

X-wing is played on 90x90cm grid.
The stick is slightly less than 30 cm because it needs to fit into a 30x30cm square box.
Range 1-2-3 are not the same increments.

I kind of get it for the maneuver templates, but even those aren't standardised against the range stick.

Also good luck if you get a stick with a misprint! Or your stick gets shorter as it gets worn down with use.

(I know you can buy laser-cut sticks, it still irritates me.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bacon Terrorist posted:

GW recruiting retail staff near me, though I was surprised to see their salary being on the lower end after all the positive press they have had recently.

Retail is never well paying enough, regardless of company

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Electric Hobo posted:

While I'm kind of sad that the league I ran died, I'm incredibly happy that I left the second I began to hate running it.
So I'm glad to say that I am doing better things with my time now!

Oh my group is super great, we’re well into the campaign now and everyone is really into it and leaning into the narrative aspects of necromunda, this was just a ruling that made a huge difference at the very end of a massive multiplayer game between two best friends who’d read two different versions of the same rule and thought that the other person involved was suddenly being “a bit of a dick for no reason”.

The ruling, for the record, was “can you fire your sidearm as a reaction shot when being hit out of engagement range by versatile weapons”.

The actual necromunda rulebook specifically says no, the comprehensive goes into detail that you can, but doesn’t flag it at all as their own house rule.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Nebalebadingdong posted:

this would be an interesting alternate reality

I am 100% in for Battletech Quest, Now I am off to hack this into reality

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Mr.Booger posted:

I am 100% in for Battletech Quest, Now I am off to hack this into reality

Like robotech with waves of anonymous goon mechas, mowed down by four protagonist battletechs?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

reddit is going crazy over these symbolic distance changes.

"It's dumbing down the game!"

complaining about the game being dumbed down by making it more intricate and complex

okay sure cool, cool cool cool

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Yes, the complexity of 3+ to hit on a D6, 3+ to wound on a D6, 3+ to save on a D6

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Asphyxious posted:

Oh my group is super great, we’re well into the campaign now and everyone is really into it and leaning into the narrative aspects of necromunda, this was just a ruling that made a huge difference at the very end of a massive multiplayer game between two best friends who’d read two different versions of the same rule and thought that the other person involved was suddenly being “a bit of a dick for no reason”.

The ruling, for the record, was “can you fire your sidearm as a reaction shot when being hit out of engagement range by versatile weapons”.

The actual necromunda rulebook specifically says no, the comprehensive goes into detail that you can, but doesn’t flag it at all as their own house rule.

That’s surprisingly relevant for my Cawdor, so good to know! I’ll make sure to check with this group - it’s folks I haven’t interacted with much at my LGS which is generally pretty good about being non-groggy, but I figure I can also talk like a human person and get clarification on these things beforehand.

I think signups have been, like, 75% Delaque and Van Saar, and so I’m making sure I know my terrain and LOS rules well.

Yaktribe’s gang roster creator has been super useful, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Necromunda can certainly be criticised for publishing too many rules and proof-reading them drat badly, but it seems bonkers to suggest that has killed the game. For everyone who hates those aspects enough to leave the game alone, there seem to be two players who gripe but still enjoy the masses of vibrant content, and three more who have just seen the models and are asking how to buy into the game.

Z the IVth posted:

The loving FFG range rulers and their arbitary values is far worse because you need that stupid proprietary stick and you can't even use a tape measure if you wanted to.

X-wing is played on 90x90cm grid.
The stick is slightly less than 30 cm because it needs to fit into a 30x30cm square box.
Range 1-2-3 are not the same increments.

I kind of get it for the maneuver templates, but even those aren't standardised against the range stick.

Also good luck if you get a stick with a misprint! Or your stick gets shorter as it gets worn down with use.

(I know you can buy laser-cut sticks, it still irritates me.)

This is quite interesting stuff that I never got serious enough about X Wing to really understand. But my point was actually, if you are going to have arbitrary range/distance increments, just label them with numbers. Range 1, Range 2 etc. That seems better for communication than Range circle, range pentagon etc. The latter seems super inconvenient to describe in writing and even clunky to talk about.

"What's the range on this unit's guns Bob?"
"Oh, they're two circles Jim"
"That's great, I can charge pentagon, so I should be able to get them before they can fire"