Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I always assumed that was more about Herbert trying to point out the relative impoverishment of the Dune universe, which would generally line up with the economic thought in which Herbert was writing it and libertarians in general. Also, didn't the baron have to bribe the hell out of the emperor? He basically stripped everything he could from his fief to guarantee holding Dune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ithle01 posted:

I always assumed that was more about Herbert trying to point out the relative impoverishment of the Dune universe, which would generally line up with the economic thought in which Herbert was writing it and libertarians in general. Also, didn't the baron have to bribe the hell out of the emperor? He basically stripped everything he could from his fief to guarantee holding Dune.

Not the empire, but the guild for transporting troops to Dune. He spent credits comparable to several decades worth of spice production for the attack.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Spice, space pussy magic or... spice again I guess, nobody folds for free.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jewmanji posted:

There aren’t really any villains in the strict sense in Messiah, Children, or GEoD. Like, the conspirators in Messiah are in a narrative sense the bad guys, but when you realize what the effect of the Jihad was, suddenly you realize they are in the right.

Pretty sure Wensicia qualifies in Children. Also, kinda Jessica and Gurney torturing Leto, heh.

The Tyrant is clearly the villain in GE :colbert:

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

I dont know posted:

Not the empire, but the guild for transporting troops to Dune. He spent credits comparable to several decades worth of spice production for the attack.

Also the Baron is new money. His family has never had ancestral castles: his buildings need to use tricks because they have been quickly whipped up on the middle of an already populated city.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Maybe they should cut the budget on the weird crush an amphibian juice boxes smdh at these year 10000 millenials

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

exmachina posted:

Also the Baron is new money. His family has never had ancestral castles: his buildings need to use tricks because they have been quickly whipped up on the middle of an already populated city.

Part of it is also that a Baron is the lowest ranking noble (at least in the English system), while a Duke is the highest. So that partly explains why the family had less in the past, and adds an envy angle to the blood feud.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I am a Baron, sir, and you have slandered my honor. I challenge you, sir!

*rushes up to you with my amped-up suspensors and bellybumps you repeatedly like an elephant seal*

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

I dont know posted:

That's it, thanks.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

phasmid posted:

I am a Baron, sir, and you have slandered my honor. I challenge you, sir!

*rushes up to you with my amped-up suspensors and bellybumps you repeatedly like an elephant seal*

*pulls out your heartbutt plug and watches you pthpthpttthpthptthpthpth all around the room like a deflating balloon*

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Harkonnen discount hairplugs, chairdougs and plowglobes

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
this knowledge is too heavy a burden for me

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hell :same:

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Bubblyblubber posted:

Spice, space pussy magic or... spice again I guess, nobody folds for free.

Melange spice, moon mice or pongi rice
No mahdi folds for free

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Gonna mix a bunch of spice up with some Water-of-life and boof it all up my rear end

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

told u i was the kwisatz haderach

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The crazy thing is this could be canon

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The crazy thing is this could be canon

Weren't Jews in Space unknown in this universe until Chapterhouse?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Johnny Aztec posted:

Gonna mix a bunch of spice up with some Water-of-life and boof it all up my rear end

Paulo butt-chugged some ultra spice and they say he microwaved a baby while he was prescient, not worth the risk.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hold my spice beer, he said...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

uber_stoat posted:

Paulo butt-chugged some ultra spice and they say he microwaved a baby while he was prescient, not worth the risk.

Ken Penders is that you

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

uber_stoat posted:

He's got the "munchies" for a Caladanian Cheeseburger

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Pretty sure Wensicia qualifies in Children. Also, kinda Jessica and Gurney torturing Leto, heh.

The Tyrant is clearly the villain in GE :colbert:

When did the spoiled part happen

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shageletic posted:

When did the spoiled part happen

At Jacurutu. They imprison him and pump him full of spice, essentially to get him to agree to help the BGs smoke Alia. Which he does, but it’s also where he figures out the Golden Path so I guess the joke was on them in the end

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've got some whale fur stuck in my teeth

if you knwo what I'm saying

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I've got some whale fur stuck in my teeth

if you knwo what I'm saying

Yes we do, we told you caladan tuna is dangerous we warned you dawg

Fuschia tude posted:

Weren't Jews in Space unknown in this universe until Chapterhouse?

Odrade or Taraza say as much when they slam the big button labeled "DEPLOY SECRET JEWS", they know the Jews existed because of their other memory, but their continued existence is kept secret.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Tickets for the Dune trailer are sold out at the local imax (minutes after they went up)

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
lol just lol if you haven't abused spice essence to watch the future movie in your moving mind

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

@tylerthefacedancer

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Watching Movies Real Hahahaha Ghola Just Imagine The Movie In Your Head Like Ghola Close Your Eyes Haha

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sean Young as Chani is possibly the worst casting in the Lynch film. When I read the book "lily white, potentially insane and somehow still completely innocuous" was not how I pictured her.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I mean, your average freman is a lily white (aside from tiny strip of face) knife wielding madman who's always high on crystal spice soo

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Why would a fremen be white?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think he's referencing the stillsuits being white in the book

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

exmachina posted:

like a cave frog - ironically never exposed to sunlight because they are always in a sealed cave or a stillsuit

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

exmachina posted:

They're never exposed to the sun even as kids. Over millennia that would lighten a sub population.

The fremen probably aren't white though as they do go into ther cities and stuff and probably have considerable genetic diversity through smuggler interaction as well.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Pretty sure No true Fremen would mix with a smuggler.

Maybe the corrupted city Fremen, that aren't worth the name.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Johnny Aztec posted:

Pretty sure No true Fremen would mix with a smuggler.

Maybe the corrupted city Fremen, that aren't worth the name.

But have you considered...

Oops! At the Orgy.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Orgy's Bloopers and Practical Jokes was a Sietch TV favorite at dinner time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Why would fremen be tanned? Their skin never sees the sun, outside of maybe the hands or the upper face. Let's face it they would have clammy pale flesh and dried beef jerky faces and hands :getin: