Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SAO is sometimes entertaining sometimes not trash just like so much pulp media, but the "great story" of MT must be excellent at hiding because it is not apparent. Though this may come down to a matter of what each of us considers good storytelling because the world in MT is both very boring and extremely inelegant in presentation. Like most isekai its a guy reading out setting notes from his home D&D game.

Grouchio posted:

The only canon SAO is SAO Abridged. :colbert:
Removing the fetish stuff renders it non-canon. Just like the absence of bare feet renders Dark Souls 2 non-canon.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this seems like a pointless discussion without the context of who is saying what about each show

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Let's just agree that all isekai are trash.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Natural 20 posted:

I don't really want to die on the hill of defending youtubers but MT has weird pervy poo poo in an excellent story and world, whereas SAO has a full season about incest in a show that's consistently terrible in just about every other way.

Unless you think "Death Gun is my name and the name of my gun. One day I'll pay you all a visit too and bring real death with this gun," is the peak of dialogue.

It is

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Let's just agree that all isekai are trash.

What about Bofuri and Kuma Kuma Bear

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

I don't really want to die on the hill of defending youtubers but MT has weird pervy poo poo in an excellent story and world, whereas SAO has a full season about incest in a show that's consistently terrible in just about every other way.
i think an arc where a girl is in love with her cousin, realizes shes being clingy and weird, and starts to grow out of it is much healthier than

quote:

Rinia Dedorudia is the granddaughter of the Village Chief, Gustav, of the Dorudia Tribe. She is currently the slave of Rudeus Greyrat for buying/saving her from the slave trader. There is a number of hints that she is fond of Rudeus. Whenever he sexually harasses her, she does not resist and occasionally even tempts him to do so.

quote:

Sylphiette is one of the three Goddesses that Rudeus worships. The blood-stained piece of the sheets from the time when Sylphy gave her virginity to Rudeus to cure him of his Erectile Dysfunction is kept in a box and enshrined in the basement of the mansion.

quote:

Curse of Promiscuity
A curse that causes its owner to be highly sexually active to the point of being a dangerous sex beast and will cause death if not sexually sated. This uses sperm to transform naturally accumulating magic power in her body into a magic crystal. This curse was reduced due to a magical item, the panties (at first something akin to a diaper), that Cliff created during his quest to find a way to cure Elinalise's curse. Because the device requires a high amount of magic power, Rudeus has to charge it himself.

quote:

Roxy became self conscious of her belly button due to how much Rudeus likes to play with it. Rudeus dispelled her worries when her belly button became an outie as a result of pregnancy. Being of the Migurd race, Roxy will not age until she is 150 years old.

yes. i also think the death gun arc is better written.

like if you like it im not the cops but come the gently caress on. surely you can see that acting like sao is juvenile but mushoku tensei somehow isnt is absurd.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 15, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Death Gun gave us the Gun Gale Online spin-off so it is forever good in my book.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Death Gun gave us the Gun Gale Online spin-off so it is forever good in my book.
and the incest arc of sao gave us the spinoff manga where there's a girl who crossdresses as kirito

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SAO has its moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEzGU5pA7ao

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 15, 2021

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Willo567 posted:

all is all!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think an arc where a girl is in love with her cousin, realizes shes being clingy and weird, and starts to grow out of it is much healthier than

Her cousin is also her adoptive brother, to be fair!

But yeah, it's still healthier than the poo poo from MT.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Willo567 posted:

Bofuri isn't isekai. It's sports/slice of life. The whole point is that the game is just a game that the protagonists play as a hobby.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Bofuri deez nutz

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SAO does not have a woman with bodacious abs, point MT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

SAO does not have a woman with bodacious abs, point MT
suguha is supposed to but the anime cut that out, which is hosed up

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Willo567 posted:

I have no opinion on bofuri but found the first ep of the bear mmorpg isekai thing to be incredibly boring

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Is that the SAO guy but he's a girl now?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

marumaru posted:

Endorph posted:

and the incest arc of sao gave us the spinoff manga where there's a girl who crossdresses as kirito

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

marumaru posted:

Yeah in GGO the character creation is entirely random.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

hes not a girl hes just playing a feminine looking character in that arc

no that is an entirely separate instance actually

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kirito does actually get forcefemmed in the ggo arc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how in the sao mobage there's a bunch of cards that are kirito's ggo avatar in girls clothes and his response goes from 'this is kind of weird' to 'i look really good in this wedding dress!'

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

we're all big sao fans here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

this

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

hes not a girl hes just playing a feminine looking character in that arc

no that is an entirely separate instance actually

Bamboozled!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Darth Walrus posted:

Bofuri isn't isekai. It's sports/slice of life. The whole point is that the game is just a game that the protagonists play as a hobby.

I was going to say, while they do focus mainly on the in-game activities, I wouldn't call it an isekai since it was still clearly a game and not real life (even if they do sometimes blur things with the in-game events).

Erg posted:

I have no opinion on bofuri but found the first ep of the bear mmorpg isekai thing to be incredibly boring

I found Kuma interesting, in that while it certainly embraces all the hallmarks of your traditional isekai power fantasy, the actual heart of the story seemed to be about the MCs growth as a person. Though not so interesting that I'd recommend it to someone who wasn't already terminally addicted to isekais like I am.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sword Fart Online.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

SAOwns

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Watching the latest Maiddragon and I dunno. Not quite sold on this Ilulu chara...

"Can I let you trick me?"

OKAY, WHO THE gently caress IS CUTTING ONIONS AROUND HERE? :cry:

But good gravy, those flame sacs. Proof that dragons gotta be hollow inside. :pwn:

Have to laugh that even Tohru got squicked by the hands thing. :D

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Doodles posted:

Watching the latest Maiddragon and I dunno. Not quite sold on this Ilulu chara...

"Can I let you trick me?"

OKAY, WHO THE gently caress IS CUTTING ONIONS AROUND HERE? :cry:

But good gravy, those flame sacs. Proof that dragons gotta be hollow inside. :pwn:

Have to laugh that even Tohru got squicked by the hands thing. :D

she seems like a splendid dragon, though not too good at being a human (yet)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

like if you like it im not the cops but come the gently caress on. surely you can see that acting like sao is juvenile but mushoku tensei somehow isnt is absurd.

Look I know you really want to win this argument but posting untagged manga spoilers is a bit of a dick move in the anime thread when the second season is airing in a couple of months.

I'm not really interested in trying to defend something that I've not read or seen.

But I do find it funny that you're going to bat for the creepy incest arc as "realising you're being creepy" when she's still on the same poo poo years after.

Also the selfsame arc that also involves the female lead being locked in a bird cage and abused by tentacle monsters.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The oldest Divine Beast, the Demon Lord, and the Ruler of Gluttony. She is actually the Origin Taratect, the progenitor of the entire taratect spider-monster species, All taratects are her kin and offspring, directly descended from her

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sorry i ruined the plot twist of whose panties he sticks in a vault in his basement

youll also notice at no point did i say sao didnt have stupid poo poo in it. like my point isnt sao is impeachable its that its stupid to criticize it for that stuff and then go to bat for mushoku tensei. you just like one and dont like the other

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

Look I know you really want to win this argument but posting untagged manga spoilers is a bit of a dick move in the anime thread when the second season is airing in a couple of months.

I'm not really interested in trying to defend something that I've not read or seen.

But I do find it funny that you're going to bat for the creepy incest arc as "realising you're being creepy" when she's still on the same poo poo years after.

Also the selfsame arc that also involves the female lead being locked in a bird cage and abused by tentacle monsters.
I feel like "this show is creepier because someone wants to gently caress their cousin" isn't really a winning defense of MT when it ALSO includes someone wanting to gently caress their cousin and the narrative of the show just going "yeah this is totally normal". And let's be real Rudy is definitely gonna succeed at loving his cousin even without knowing any novel spoilers.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 15, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

im sorry i ruined the plot twist of whose panties he sticks in a vault in his basement

youll also notice at no point did i say sao didnt have stupid poo poo in it

And you'll note that I said every single time the creepy poo poo in MT was bad. Y'know what i didn't do? Post untagged spoilers because I'm desperate to defend incest and tentacle rape.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Silver2195 posted:

Her cousin is also her adoptive brother, to be fair!

But yeah, it's still healthier than the poo poo from MT.
If I recall, there's an arc where he walks in on his son having sex with one of his sisters or something like that so MT is not without the gross creepy incest poo poo either.

Endorph posted:

Very much agree and it's what bothers me about anitubers who 100% unironically go to bat for the stuff usually with some BS excuse about how they use the questionable stuff(rape, slavery, creepy pedo poo poo) to tell a "complex mature story that's different from the other pretenders" or some such poo poo. I know Basement was on CR's payroll at one point and I recall he didn't disclose that when doing reviews for Shield Hero which was bankrolled by them so the idea of him and others going kid gloves on MT and gushing about it being a "Masterclass"(amusingly all three big name tubers have some variation of this in their title vids for the MT reviews) because they know that's what their audience wants to hear and they know it'll drive up view and in turn revenue.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Sword Fart Online.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it all goes into the two years of glopping box

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

And you'll note that I said every single time the creepy poo poo in MT was bad. Y'know what i didn't do? Post untagged spoilers because I'm desperate to defend incest and tentacle rape.
Spoilers, man in harem show gets with every lady in the show. Also shonen character kills bad guy with giant laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

do you actually understand what im saying or are you just mad at me for saying i like sao

i dont understand how what im doing is defending that stuff but what youre doing isnt