Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Rutger said ACAB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
i saw the finale of loki. it was kind of boring honestly. so talky. there was no point to the secret guy in charge because he was the same as the fake people in charge. the series had some good stuff but overall i don't think it was worth it.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Action Jacktion posted:

i saw the finale of loki. it was kind of boring honestly. so talky. there was no point to the secret guy in charge because he was the same as the fake people in charge. the series had some good stuff but overall i don't think it was worth it.

i agree about the extreme talkiness but i liked it overall. might have something to do with being super stoned at the time... very pretty visuals and i liked the way it ended with "WHO ARE YOU!?" i really dig that stuff

it also helps the show is only 6 episodes. more concise stories please!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

im mixed on short run seasons.

while its loving great we crushed poo poo down from like 20-30 episodes to like 15 at most, for me its also super annoying. I just watched Lupin which was like 6 episodes which was plenty to tell the story. shadow and bone was 8 and was basically just speedrunning plot points rather than letting characters breathe and chew scenery. with less episodes comes less filler, but I do think some filler is important, if nothing else just to sketch the world out a little more. a lot of these netflix shows feel super stilted because they seem so tunnelvisioned about that. we dont need like tng levels of filler but people trying to be prestige without any solid foundation of worldbuilding to hang the plot on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think there's an ideal number of episodes, just the question of whether the writers successfully shaped the story around their airtime budget

watched the second season of snowpiercer. it was a big improvement over season 1, a few more like that and it might actually become good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having watched and only *kind* of enjoyed the first episode of loki hearing that i am 17% through is motivating me to give it another go

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

haveblue posted:

I don't think there's an ideal number of episodes, just the question of whether the writers successfully shaped the story around their airtime budget

watched the second season of snowpiercer. it was a big improvement over season 1, a few more like that and it might actually become good

yeah i think thats what ive kind of come to. i think a lot of writers are bad at filling the box appropriately.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Action Jacktion posted:

nothing happens in the entire season. its so boring. nothing has consequences. characters are all dumb as hell. its a pretty thoroughly ruined premise

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

haveblue posted:

this is the main problem, but also like if a show is really good I want more of it soon. season lengths, episode lengths, debut slots are all dictated by a 20th century network production ethic. I don’t see why you can’t shorten the time between seasons to 8 or 6 months if you’re only producing ten episodes. just keep the writers and preproduction crew staffed year round rather than putting them on hiatus to collect unemployment or look for freelance work for six months

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they brought star trek from 23 episodes a season to 10. the quality of the individual episodes didn't improve any, there's just fewer chances for them to accidentally make a good one

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

infernal machines posted:

they brought star trek from 23 episodes a season to 10. the quality of the individual episodes didn't improve any, there's just fewer chances for them to accidentally make a good one

I wonder how much of this is driven by actors not wanting to be booked for 30-35 weeks a year. they could just spread that 10 episode budget over 23 eps and not lose much in terms of quality (probably have to have more practical effects) but it’s harder for your secondary leads to guest star on other shows or book supporting roles in a few movies

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
10 eps are gonna be cheaper to produce. actors arent really gonna factor in unless you're going for some big name whos super busy. i would guess most actors are gonna be thrilled to have booked work for most of the year.

theres probably also a not insignificant amount of exec sees 10 ep show was successful and their take away is 10 eps = success and not good show = success.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

there's less of a push for that syndication money, and I think some stations or studios wouldn't push in to syndication if a show was under a certain number of episodes?

it's probably more about streaming licensing now and nobody cares that your cool show had two seasons or twenty since it's in a bundle and they need rotating content to retain subscribers

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol drat when Ben Kenobi chops an arm off in the Cantina it was originally planned to be a head instead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lol I just read that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is in Black Widow, does she make it worth watching

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
doubt it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

haven’t seen it but pretty sure they’re treating her like Sam Jackson in the phase 1 movies

think she had a super small appearance in falcon too

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

related, we watched some Seinfeld for the first time in a decade and realized how much Elaine and George carry the show and jerry is a waste of space

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

related, we watched some Seinfeld for the first time in a decade and realized how much Elaine and George carry the show and jerry is a waste of space

he's terrible and unfunny, yep

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
michael richards is an amazing physical comedian but julia louise-dreyfus is no slouch in that department either

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jerry was the worst part of Seinfeld, no question

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
they had to add a minute of his standup bookending every episode to remind people he was a comedian

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

indigi posted:

Lol I just read that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is in Black Widow, does she make it worth watching

no, she's only in the after credits scene playing her character from the new d+ tv show, it'd be like watching iron man for sammy l

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

what the hell is up with that compression routine tweening between shots

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Fool posted:

haven’t seen it but pretty sure they’re treating her like Sam Jackson in the phase 1 movies

think she had a super small appearance in falcon too

basically. if you like theories and guessing she's the character to tie these together

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

Jerry was the worst part of Seinfeld, no question

also he was dating a 17 year old at the time

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Seinfeld is the plain, unbuttered toast of comedy

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

they had to add a minute of his standup bookending every episode to remind people he was a comedian

you may tell jokes mr jerry seinfeld but you are no comedian

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

you may tell jokes mr jerry seinfeld but you are no comedian

He got upset at college students/sjws/etc a while back. No one complained about his routine, but it got no laughs.

He's been wealthy so long his brain is 100% gone.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

RokosCockatrice posted:

what the hell is up with that compression routine tweening between shots

thats the Optical Flow frame blending in premiere. Same poo poo one uses to make fake 60fps videos. I do a lot of those for kpop videos and didnt even think what it'd do to hard cuts in animated source material but its neat

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

libera te tutemet ex inferis

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im rewatching super dimension fortress macross like im 7 again it rules.

fun aside: my immigrant dad tried super hard to not have us watch american tv despite being born here so instead i got unfettered access to anime which melted my brain just as much.

nobody makes good robot anime anymore tho

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
what are you talking about, anno's made the best robot anime ever like five times now

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

tell me more

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i dont talk about anime with other people for obvious reasons but this seems like an ok space

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i mean is new evangelion worth watching??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the rebuilds are good and tell a vastly different story than the original series. Also they spent a loving lot of money on their production

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Casual Encountess posted:

i dont talk about anime with other people for obvious reasons but this seems like an ok space

in fact it got the last iteration of this thread closed

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it seems like its generally fine to talk about but just dont post youtubes of animes or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Casual Encountess posted:

im rewatching super dimension fortress macross like im 7 again it rules.

fun aside: my immigrant dad tried super hard to not have us watch american tv despite being born here so instead i got unfettered access to anime which melted my brain just as much.

nobody makes good robot anime anymore tho

it's awesome when canada lets the SDF land, then the SDF vaporises winnipeg testing the shield