Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There’s definitely a video about this that also goes into how completely artificial and hindsight the hate actually is, but I cannot for the life of me remember who did it or what it was called

I found one by Second Chance last year and how honestly the hate for Scrappy is... kinda strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Scrappy was popular when he was first introduced but then started to take over the entire show as they tried to cash in on his popularity. Daphne, Velma, and Fred were written out of the show to save money on voice actors and all their roles were taken over by Scrappy. It basically became the Scrappy show and that's why people soured on him. He became associated with the declining quality of Scooby Doo in the 80's.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Augus posted:

Scrappy was popular when he was first introduced but then started to take over the entire show as they tried to cash in on his popularity. Daphne, Velma, and Fred were written out of the show to save money on voice actors and all their roles were taken over by Scrappy. It basically became the Scrappy show and that's why people soured on him. He became associated with the declining quality of Scooby Doo in the 80's.

He was transparently what the Poochie joke in Simpsons was inspired a good deal by lol, "When Poochie's not on screen everyone should be asking where's Poochie"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Also Scrappy was deliberately written to be the opposite in personality to Scooby which meant he was loud, constantly picked fights, and generally caused problems unnecessarily and that stops being funny very quickly.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I liked Scrappy as a kid, so they did something right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I did not.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Scrappy didn't make it better or worse for me because Scooby Doo was already bad in the first place

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The video I liked put Scrappy on the same level as Shemp from the Three Stooges but everybody knows Joe Besser was the worst Stooge. (Primarily because he didn't want to take full on physical hits like the others did.)

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Augus posted:

Small correction: Daphne was emphatically NOT written out of the show when Scrappy showed up. Fred, Daphne and Velma were written out for a series of 7-minute shorts that were produced and aired during the 1980-82 season, but these were never part of an independent Scooby-Doo series and were only released as part of compilation series that mixed them in with other Hanna-Barbera shorts like The Richie-Rich/Scooby-Doo Show. The actual, stand-alone shows that included Scrappy-Doo (The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show and The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo) all included Daphne as part of the regular cast, and actually marked the start of Daphne's character evolution from "The ditzy liability who doesn't do anything" into a competent character in her own right as she mostly took over Fred and Velma's roles as the one that actually got poo poo done.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also Scrappy was deliberately written to be the opposite in personality to Scooby which meant he was loud, constantly picked fights, and generally caused problems unnecessarily and that stops being funny very quickly.

It's actually gotten a little bit lost during pop cultural osmosis, but Scrappy was never actually a liability for the rest of the gang in the episodes he showed up in. While he was loud and always wanted to fight the monsters they encountered one-on-one and Shaggy and Scooby had to constantly pull him out of the way of the various monsters they ran into out of fear for his safety, his original schtick was that when he actually got a chance to straight up fight any of the monsters like he wanted he just completely wrecked rear end. One of the major recurring gags he had in his original appearances was that, despite being a one-foot tall puppy, he was cartoonishly strong and half the time Shaggy and Scooby had to hold him back not because he was incapable of beating up the monsters, but because he was too much of an engine of destruction with no mind for collateral damage.

goldenninjawarrior
Jul 21, 2017

Ninja is supreme and you have double-crossed it!
Why did you do that?
Grimey Drawer
I don't like how Scrappy Doo is meant to be like a puppy but he talks with an adult voice.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I liked Flim-Flam as a kid.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Inside a Mind did a Scrappy Doo video many years ago. Haven't rewatched it since it went up, but it's the first thing I thought of when the question was asked.

Added bonus, it's only 15 minutes long.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nuns with Guns posted:

I liked Flim-Flam as a kid.

Vincent Price was the real draw.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Billiam did a Scooby-Doo retrospective that had a lot to say about Scrappy through the years. On mobile or I'd link it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DoctorWhat posted:

Billiam did a Scooby-Doo retrospective that had a lot to say about Scrappy through the years. On mobile or I'd link it.

Here is the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLThLwahQOJ9aFUboBHIRrbfetU70R0QIo

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vincent Price was the real draw.

In retrospect he's the best part, but when you're 8 he's just the silly dracula man.

The 2nd best part in retrospect is this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoR_gWLHfpw

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what kind of 8 are you if the best part of any show isn't the silly dracula man?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking personally, I was more into the episodes with Cher and the Harlem Globetrotters.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

what kind of 8 are you if the best part of any show isn't the silly dracula man?

It's a show with two talking dogs where they hunt ghosts and at one point have an "It's a Wonderful Life"-esque episode where Scooby goes to a Mad Max future and Scrappy and Flim-Flam are in a biker gang

It's a cartoon that really messes with your child barometer on silliness.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I admittedly haven't watched anything Scooby Doo since I was over at a friend's house and they were watching one of the movies - I think like Camp Fright or something - and what stuck with me was Daphne's character designer for the movie seemed more than a little thirsty.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Scrappy didn't make it better or worse for me because Scooby Doo was already bad in the first place

How loving dare you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Always hated obnoxious/belligerent/precocious child characters. Especially one's added to the cast later.

I never thought the Scrappy hate was weird honestly. It fit that to me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Count me as pro-Scrappy. I'm not like, president of his fan club or anything, but I was always baffled that he was considered some horrible stain on the franchise.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Small correction: Daphne was emphatically NOT written out of the show when Scrappy showed up. Fred, Daphne and Velma were written out for a series of 7-minute shorts that were produced and aired during the 1980-82 season, but these were never part of an independent Scooby-Doo series and were only released as part of compilation series that mixed them in with other Hanna-Barbera shorts like The Richie-Rich/Scooby-Doo Show. The actual, stand-alone shows that included Scrappy-Doo (The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show and The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo) all included Daphne as part of the regular cast, and actually marked the start of Daphne's character evolution from "The ditzy liability who doesn't do anything" into a competent character in her own right as she mostly took over Fred and Velma's roles as the one that actually got poo poo done.

It's actually gotten a little bit lost during pop cultural osmosis, but Scrappy was never actually a liability for the rest of the gang in the episodes he showed up in. While he was loud and always wanted to fight the monsters they encountered one-on-one and Shaggy and Scooby had to constantly pull him out of the way of the various monsters they ran into out of fear for his safety, his original schtick was that when he actually got a chance to straight up fight any of the monsters like he wanted he just completely wrecked rear end. One of the major recurring gags he had in his original appearances was that, despite being a one-foot tall puppy, he was cartoonishly strong and half the time Shaggy and Scooby had to hold him back not because he was incapable of beating up the monsters, but because he was too much of an engine of destruction with no mind for collateral damage.

Probably doesn't help that there were like 4 different Scooby Doo shows around by the time I was watching cartoons so I could never really keep track. I still think that A Pup Named Scooby Doo was the best because it was actually a cartoon and not 19 animations recycled across different backgrounds over and over again like Scooby Doo Where Are You.

John Murdoch posted:

Count me as pro-Scrappy. I'm not like, president of his fan club or anything, but I was always baffled that he was considered some horrible stain on the franchise.

This is about as hard as I ever came down on Scrappy too yeah. I thought it was weird that he ended up being the big villain in the live action one they made in like 2002. Been going through old podcasts episodes of some of the stuff I'm subscribed to and it stuck out to me enough to actually remember it after work for once.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
star trek tng question, what about Wesley hate, is that legit or not?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
His character was mostly unbearable for the first season and much of the 2nd season as well yeah. But the hate Weaton got was of course unwarranted.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Probably still over-exaggerated to some degree. Sure, Wesley sucked in early TNG, but so did pretty much everything else. He was pretty bad though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc the situation was that they were developing multiple scripts for a single Wesley focused episode but after the writers went on strike they ended up filming them all which had the effect of making Wesley feel like something of a Mary Sue what with him saving the crew of the enterprise every other episode.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wesley became less of a hassle after he stopped being a show regular. The child prodigy thing wasn't a bad character choice, but it was how he was used in the series for seasons 1-3, because he was always the one with the solution and always insufferable because of it. Once he left and became a guest star he's a lot more tolerable. The First Duty is the best Wesley episode and I even enjoy the schlock fun of The Game where the whole crew gets brainwashed by a video game and it's up to Wes to save the day.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wesley is a walking embodiment of TNG season 1. Got off to a really bad start, but became very inoffensive and occasionally enjoyable after that.

Plus, extremely representative of Gene Wesley Roddenberry

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvdbqJXksU
Thought Slime spends 15 minutes talking about The Quartering's weird horny She Ra tweet.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The Quartering keeps owning himself I see..

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

star trek tng question, what about Wesley hate, is that legit or not?

his name was Wesley Crusher, because he crushed my desire to watch Star Trek

though that one episode where Picard gets mad at him and screams at him is one of my favorites

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvdbqJXksU
Thought Slime spends 15 minutes talking about The Quartering's weird horny She Ra tweet.

I really get why Jeremy's alleged wife constantly locks him down in his piss basement and goes out to dinner alone all the time. She's tired of being the hypotenuse in a love triangle between herself, her alleged husband, and a cavalcade of other women who only exist in Jeremy's rapidly baldening head who he's clearly much more attracted to. At this point she is clearly only sticking around because Jeremy is an alleged millionaire.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Libluini posted:

though that one episode where Picard gets mad at him and screams at him is one of my favorites

The First Duty is high in the running for best episode of the series among many fans. Not entirely because Picard delivers a devastating dressing down to the punk… but definitely a significant contribution.
(I mean, it made the Picard Song!)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CmdrKing posted:

The First Duty is high in the running for best episode of the series among many fans. Not entirely because Picard delivers a devastating dressing down to the punk… but definitely a significant contribution.
(I mean, it made the Picard Song!)

You could say the same about Menage a Troi then. The last three minutes of Menage a Troi are amazing, don't get me wrong, but it also requires you to watch the preceding 41 minutes of Menage a Troi to get there...

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Libluini posted:

On a wider tangent, has any "Alright, for the new version of this, we are adding a kid character children can identifiy with!" attempt ever managed to not fall flat on its face?

As a child, I remember wanting to be cool jedi/captain/explorer, not his sidekick that maybe gets to untie the main character or get praised by the adults for being such a smart runt who just may do something in the future.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Sephyr posted:

On a wider tangent, has any "Alright, for the new version of this, we are adding a kid character children can identifiy with!" attempt ever managed to not fall flat on its face?

As a child, I remember wanting to be cool jedi/captain/explorer, not his sidekick that maybe gets to untie the main character or get praised by the adults for being such a smart runt who just may do something in the future.

Off the top of my head: Sari Sumdac from Transformers: Animated and Ezra Bridger from Star Wars Rebels ended up being fairly well received, though both of them were only new editions to existing franchises but were part of their respective works in said franchise from the beginning. I think the x factor that made them well receive3d was that they received pretty extensive character development and changed/matured as their series went on.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I don't recall if the Jonathan Brandis character on seaquest was bad or not because I can barely remember anything about the show apart how it managed to get every member of the Deluise family but I *think* he was okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Off the top of my head: Sari Sumdac from Transformers: Animated and Ezra Bridger from Star Wars Rebels ended up being fairly well received, though both of them were only new editions to existing franchises but were part of their respective works in said franchise from the beginning. I think the x factor that made them well receive3d was that they received pretty extensive character development and changed/matured as their series went on.

As far as Transformers goes, hasn't it always had characters like that for the viewers to identify with? Sari was just the latest one of that.