Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

hello yes I would like to discuss elite politics please

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Agrajag posted:

fox news anchors saying japan doing uighur genocide cause they stupid and racist and dont know the difference between japan and china

Not to give Fox the benefit of the doubt, but might have been about the next Olympics?

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

regardless of what you think of haz/infrared this is pretty lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIlceNoYvGs

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Stockwell posted:

isnt that the guy who turned out to be a racist who sexually harassed transwomen (not infrared, the other guy)

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

isnt that the guy who turned out to be a racist who sexually harassed transwomen (not infrared, the other guy)

one and the same

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Stockwell posted:

one and the same

i remembered that, but I feel like i could throw it out for any of these slimy debate bro liberals and it would be correct 9/10 times

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
[Eurasia] There's nothing wrong with getting pegged

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dreddout posted:

[Eurasia] There's nothing wrong with Deng

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

[Eurasia] get in the Deng Bus loser, we're Opening-Up

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005

CYBEReris posted:

i remembered that, but I feel like i could throw it out for any of these slimy debate bro liberals and it would be correct 9/10 times

My favorite part has to be at about the 19 minute mark when haz calls him a racist, calling it a couple months before that sdl guy gets outed for it

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Stockwell posted:

simultaneously the best/worst thing i've listened to recently (not a chance i'm watching the sdl guy talk) thank you friend

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Deng-nabbit

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1415001286169276425

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Are we really sure it's about the Japanese olympics? I want to believe but Beijing is 2022.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

genericnick posted:

Are we really sure it's about the Japanese olympics? I want to believe but Beijing is 2022.

I wondered that too. Some have commented on twitter that they were definitely talking about the Tokyo Olympics, but I'd like to see a fuller video

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol just read that the senate passed a bill unanimously that bans ALL products imported that had any part of the supply chain in xinjiang. this is 100% about preventing the region from becoming productive to better foment strife, same thing they are doing with cuba

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol just read that the senate passed a bill unanimously that bans ALL products imported that had any part of the supply chain in xinjiang. this is 100% about preventing the region from becoming productive to better foment strife, same thing they are doing with cuba

lol america is self-sanctioning

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I wonder how effective this would be. I know america is still the biggest customer on the block but China has been diversifying its exports especially to places like Russia which can’t really be bullied into falling in line on this. I know it’ll cause trouble for a bunch of companies who have to switch up their sourcing but I don’t think it would prevent industrialization in Xinjiang, just slow it down a little

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

indigi posted:

I wonder how effective this would be. I know america is still the biggest customer on the block but China has been diversifying its exports especially to places like Russia which can’t really be bullied into falling in line on this. I know it’ll cause trouble for a bunch of companies who have to switch up their sourcing but I don’t think it would prevent industrialization in Xinjiang, just slow it down a little

Russia isn't that big of a consumer though and the EU will just roll over. Honestly I feel the EU has actually gotten worse on this. The population is distracted so the pols are free to shamelessly pander to the Americans.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

China could always try eating Xinjiang products domestically, but I'm not sure exactly how viable that is.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
They already sanction Xinjiang cotton, which probably account for half of the Xinjiang export.

It shouldn't be that hard to redirect Xinjiang products to other parts of the world. But I wonder what China will do to counter the sanction in the upcoming trade negociation.

This is basically the continuation of the HK official sanction/counter sanction from last year. Maybe US will move onto Tibet products next year.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/1415438491845107719

i admire your notion of bad news mister

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wonder how much of that is true and how much is just part of the anti China propaganda push. obviously both play into it but I’d like to know the ratio

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My understanding us that they're limiting foreign IPOs as a way to boost their stock markets.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
so are US companies going to send people to Xinjiang to make sure? Are they going to just hire Intertek or SGS to validate poo poo? this is nonsense. Would be funny if china demanded people come to xinjiang for audits.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
It will be like all other supply chain laws where you go down a level and ask if any suppliers are doing unethical stuff and they'll answer "no, the child labor is done by our sub-sub-sub-contractor". Then everyone nods and smiles, having down their required inquiry.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

My understanding us that they're limiting foreign IPOs as a way to boost their stock markets.

they’re doing it to limit exposure to the insane, reckless US stock market. limiting risk is the same reason they cracked down on crypto.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this just in horrifying imgur story about authoritarian chinese law enforcement

https://i.imgur.com/pz7nVxO.mp4

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

They already sanction Xinjiang cotton, which probably account for half of the Xinjiang export.

It shouldn't be that hard to redirect Xinjiang products to other parts of the world. But I wonder what China will do to counter the sanction in the upcoming trade negociation.

This is basically the continuation of the HK official sanction/counter sanction from last year. Maybe US will move onto Tibet products next year.

If China wants to make a point, they should sanction all products of US prison labor.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If China wants to make a point, they should sanction all products of US prison labor.

isn't most prison labor stuff bought by the USG directly? As a way to further funnel money into corrupt private prisons

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

isn't most prison labor stuff bought by the USG directly? As a way to further funnel money into corrupt private prisons

given that a good chunk of what gets produced in there sustains the defense industries and local police departments on top of other, domestically-distributed goods, i don't think any hypothetical sanctions levied upon the us industrial complex would have too significant effect upon the united states, or china for that matter

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I wouldn't expect China to do that as a serious economic measure, but a political one.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

sonatinas posted:

so are US companies going to send people to Xinjiang to make sure? Are they going to just hire Intertek or SGS to validate poo poo? this is nonsense. Would be funny if china demanded people come to xinjiang for audits.

One of the biggest casualty of the US Xinjiang cotton block is Uniqlo, which use quality Xinjiang cotton and poundly label their wear "Xinjing cotton", just like how they label they sweaters "Kashmere". I have never seen Kashmere sweater sold that cheap in other brand so...

Grapplejack posted:

I don't expect China to do it. But if they do, it would be just like that counter HK sanction which essentially put Ted Cruz and Navarro and whoever on a "naughty" list.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Jul 15, 2021

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Uniqlo are japanese right? They were going to open one here before the pandemic but it seems to have fallen through.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China will grow larger

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

seems unlikely genocide by definition means they must be getting smaller

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nonsense posted:

China will grow larger

so you just admit to their imperialist intent?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Nonsense posted:

China will grow larger
always thought it was weird that that game ended with the us collapsing and retreating into irrelevance while China takes over all of Eurasia with massive infrastructure programs considering how otherwise post 9/11 jingoistic it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1415755866695999492