Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That’s why you gotta play on Legendary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cythereal posted:

I used the AR a lot in Halo 1 in the Flood levels, it was my weapon of choice for dealing with infection and carrier forms. It's the needler I never found a use for.

The AR is ok, and the abundance of ammo for it makes it broadly useful, but there are no situations where it feels OP to me.

Needler is a top tier elite killer. sadly completely useless in multiplayer though. Walking sideways, my only weakness!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The AR is consistently underwhelming. The SMG obsoletes it at close range, the battle rifle at all ranges outside shotgun range, it's less effective against the flood than the plasma weapons since you have to reload, it does nothing to brutes and vehicles, it can't hit drones or anything further away than about 20 feet. It doesn't even carry that much ammo anymore. It's better than the forerunner suppressor but that's not exactly a selling point.

Halo 4 came close to making it useful by allowing you to burst fire to mimic the battle rifles range and role but then they added the battle rifle anyway which does that better.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I found a use for the needler. Dual-wielded them and took down the heretic leader in Halo 2 in about three seconds. Double needle bursts are a motherfucker.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Needler in 2 and 3 its extremely strong. In 1 it is limited to killing Elites because of the time to kill and the low projectile speed.

In Reach its probably the most balanced the weapon has ever been. You can blow shields with it or you can blow enemies away with it but not both at the same time. It makes it a better combo weapon against Elites where you drop their shields and then headshot with a precision weapon. And it remains a great room clearer for Brutes.

In 4 the needler is still really good but it's hosed over by having no ammo, just like every other non-promethean weapon in the game. And in the hands of grunts and jackals its lethal because the projectile magnetism is insane.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I love the assault rifle just because of the meaty crunch of the shoot-melee combo. Very satisfying to rush some nerd alien, drain their shields, then beat them up.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Whoever decided to switch which hand the Jackals hold their shields in for Reach (and 4) is a real sadistic person.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Her-e-tic! Her-e-tic!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Whoever decided to switch which hand the Jackals hold their shields in for Reach (and 4) is a real sadistic person.

Was there ever a reason for that? What side does Halo 5 use?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

DaysBefore posted:

I love the assault rifle just because of the meaty crunch of the shoot-melee combo. Very satisfying to rush some nerd alien, drain their shields, then beat them up.

hell yeah

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

given how viable (and satisfying) melee is on easy/normal difficulty it would be cool if there was an option to just use your fists. A whole lot of the cinematics have the Chief just punching poo poo anyway.

the original FEAR had a feature where you could holster your weapon for a movement speed boost and just run around punching and kicking. Totally useless on any difficulty above easy but still hilarious.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my "run" key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive."

Animal Friend posted:

the original FEAR had a feature where you could holster your weapon for a movement speed boost and just run around punching and kicking. Totally useless on any difficulty above easy but still hilarious.

It also had directional inputs for kicks; you could roundhouse or bicycle kick depending

FEAR's an amazing game, it didn't deserve to die the Korean online shooter death

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Use the Plasma pistol and all of your melee moves are haymakers. And the PP in Halo 1 and 2 is a top tier weapon because of how good it is at dropping shields, so it's a win win.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Use the Plasma pistol and all of your melee moves are haymakers. And the PP in Halo 1 and 2 is a top tier weapon because of how good it is at dropping shields, so it's a win win.

I keep grabbing them in 3 and 4 before I remember they're dogshit in those games and only useful for setting up battle rifle/dmr combos.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

RBA Starblade posted:

"I pledge to punch all switches, to never shoot where I could use grenades, to admit the existence of no level except Total Carnage, to never use Caps Lock as my "run" key, and to never, ever, leave a single Bob alive."

I think Halo still adds momentum to your melee hits if you're running, just like Marathon did.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Okan170 posted:

I think Halo still adds momentum to your melee hits if you're running, just like Marathon did.

In Halo 1 MP, melee takes out 75% shields, running melee takes out 100% shields, and jumping melee takes out 100% shields + 1 tick of health. I think this was still roughly the case in Halo 2, but not in the later games, particularly Halo 3 where two melees will kill anyone regardless of movement.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

iirc melee got buffed in one of 2's updates and that's what led to all the B-X-R stuff. I remember a jumping melee with the Brute Shot was a one-hit kill, too. :allears:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Animal Friend posted:

Was there ever a reason for that? What side does Halo 5 use?

After looking into it. It seems to be one of the changes Bungie made to make the Covenant seem more alien and threatening for veteran players who were familiar with fighting them.

343 seems to have just followed from Reach with Halo 4. I don't know about 5. I've never played it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That's Halo 2 beat, and beat the par score on the last level to boot. Final boss was surprisingly easy. Took a lot of fire to bring down, but he did basically nothing in return.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

IIRC you can kill him in one or two swings by grabbing a sword and assassinating him. At least on heroic, legendary is probably something else entirely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm playing on normal. I just hung out on the top level and shot him with the carbine, switching to the shotgun when he came up to my level.

Edit: First impressions of ODST very negative. Ugh. Did they really have to get that dumb gently caress dude from Serenity to be a big character in ODST? Please let him die by the end.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 16, 2021

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I'm playing on normal. I just hung out on the top level and shot him with the carbine, switching to the shotgun when he came up to my level.

Edit: First impressions of ODST very negative. Ugh. Did they really have to get that dumb gently caress dude from Serenity to be a big character in ODST? Please let him die by the end.

Which dude? I think 1/3 of the Serenity cast is in it.

ODST was fine at the time if a bit underwhelming. The hubworld is cool for the first 30 minutes or so and I like the Noir atmosphere but there is nothing to do other than collect the Sadie Story stuff.

Fire Fight was the crown jewel of the game though I probably played over 1000 hours of it with my roommates at the time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Which dude? I think 1/3 of the Serenity cast is in it.

Nathan Fillion. I hear he's a nice guy, but everything I've seen him in, he's felt like a greasy dollar store knockoff of Harrison Ford who landed square in the uncanny valley.

My first experience with hunters in ODST also did not go well. I guess I'm just not very good at these games, but between Reach, 1, 2, and ODST, 1 was the only game where I didn't sigh and resign myself to multiple deaths every time I saw hunters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cythereal posted:

Nathan Fillion. I hear he's a nice guy, but everything I've seen him in, he's felt like a greasy dollar store knockoff of Harrison Ford who landed square in the uncanny valley.

My first experience with hunters in ODST also did not go well. I guess I'm just not very good at these games, but between Reach, 1, 2, and ODST, 1 was the only game where I didn't sigh and resign myself to multiple deaths every time I saw hunters.

Hunters in 2 and 3/ODST are countered by beam rifles. One shot in Halo 2 and maybe 1 or 2 shots in 3/ODST will put them down. ODST makes it a little tricky by mixing up the Hunters so one first the charge beam cannon from 2 and the other uses the regular fuel rod shot.

It doesn't really help you on Tayari Plaza because I think the only beam rifle jackals appear on higher difficulties and only on inaccessible rooftops, so you do have to play matador with the Hunters, but after that it's relatively easy to grab a beam rifle to handle them or to get some heavy weapons for one hit KOs.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Halo has a time honored strategy that you can use to deal with encounters 90 percent of the time:

Ignore it and run past it. You're only rarely required to actually clear the bads in a section.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ODST player char is weak as gently caress, slow and made of tissue paper. Avoiding fights is supposed to be part of the game, this is a sneaking mission, it’s why you have the suppressed guns.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

but there is nothing to do

Biggest problem with ODST, they built this whole huge free roaming environment but there is just nothing in it. Seriously underbaked game even by Halo standards. Great soundtrack and good vibes carries it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The ODST environment was partially reused for several of the main missions so the hub covered Bungie's quota of reuse and 'going backwards through a level at night'. I enjoyed it a lot the first time but on my recent replay, I used a guide for the audio logs. When you're not taking up time to loop around for those and forcing yourself into extra encounters, the city is extremely hokey.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think ODST guy might actually be able to survive more damage than Halo 3 Chief, at least with a full health bar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He can. Odst has the Halo 1 healing system which means you can tank more damage with your stamina shields down in order to make you hunt for opti-can stations. Your health and shields recharge in Halo 3, the tradeoff being far less unshielded health.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

skasion posted:

In Halo 1 MP, melee takes out 75% shields, running melee takes out 100% shields, and jumping melee takes out 100% shields + 1 tick of health. I think this was still roughly the case in Halo 2, but not in the later games, particularly Halo 3 where two melees will kill anyone regardless of movement.

drat, shows what I know. I had no idea about this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Minor Update on MCC

TLDR: There'll be a patch next week that fixes some exploits and - at long last - adds a Report Player button on PC so you don't have to go through their customer support site to report shitters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And that's Halo: ODST. Fairly short game, and I feel like it badly squandered the premise of playing as normal humans instead of Spartans given that the ODSTs even have totally-not-shields and can hijack vehicles and destroy them by punching, but enjoyable enough.

Picked up a bucket of sub-10% achievements to boot. 1.1% on one of them isn't quite the rarest Steam achievement I've nabbed, but it's a strong second place.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If you want a really rare one, the roses vs violets one was at 0.7 last I looked. Super easy to get, although it does require playing Spartan ops

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'll bear that in mind, but I'm not consciously achievement hunting.

The 1.1% achievement was killing 3 assault marines jetpack brutes with a shotgun in one level. Surprised me that it's so rare, the shotgun is one of my favored weapons for brutes. Except maybe the Halo 2 shotgun, which just sucked.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
So I've been playing Halo 4 multiplayer lately and it's not as bad as I remember it? Certain things still piss me off like all those stupid armor mods that seemingly do nothing but I find I'm noticing this stuff I like more this time around, like the tank is ridiculously powerful and actually easier to drive than Reach's.

Or maybe that's just where all the bad players are congregating and I'm only doing well by comparison, I don't know

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's quite a lot of fun as a casual player. Halo 4 8v8 ctf owns a lot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Halo 4 had some okay maps IIRC but I hated the ordinance drop thing and weapon loadouts and all that

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Finally beat a par time on a Halo level, Tsavo Highway (chapter 3 of Halo 3, the highway level). Wasn't even trying, but hijacking a wraith apparently does speed up some otherwise difficult battles. :black101:

I've just been playing through the series on normal. I've beaten the par score twice and the par time once so far.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 18, 2021

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Wow Halo 3 is short, and oddly it's wound up the one with the most dated graphics of the collection (unless 4 surprises me). Miranda Keyes especially was jarring. Far and away my favorite of the collection so far, though. Gorgeous music used well, beautiful environments, and well-designed levels that never felt unfair to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

the Halo trilogy (and ODST) was really bad with faces. With 1 it was passable for the time but the facial animations in cutscenes were rough. With 2 on the Xbox back in the day, there was a limited number of faces so you'd end up with twins everywhere, even in cutscenes (the Delta Halo opener would have twins piloting the In Amber Clad) and there was awful texture pop everywhere making them look even worse. Despite this, 2 impressed overall graphically for the time so it kind of got a pass despite these issues.

With 3 the engine impressed less for the time and all the humans were total potato faces. ODST had them use the faces of Fillion and Helfer and its just awful, although at least they'd spent time on the animations and the vocal performances really sell it. The thing that's really weird in ODST is they gave the characters fingerless gloves instead of gauntlets and the hands look like something from an early 2000's or even late 90's game.